Rook

BType

Player Name: BType
Character Name: Rook
Power Level: 10 (150/150PP)
Trade-Offs: +2 Attack/-2 Damage (Melee), +2 Defense/-2 Toughness
Unspent Power Points: 0
Progress To Bronze Status: 0/30

In Brief: Orphaned by violent crime, Drake Grey is the former ward of Duncan Summers, formerly the Raven, grown to adulthood and continuing his adopted family's crusade for justice.

Alternate Identity: Drake Grey
Identity: Secret
Birthplace: New York City, New York
Affiliations: Duncan Summers (formerly the Raven), Callie Summers (The Raven), Fletcher Beaumont III (The Bowman), Claremont Academy (former student)
Family: N/A, Duncan Summers (Godfather), Callie Summers (Godsister)

Description:
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Height: 5'11
Weight: 175lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black

Drake when out of costume cuts an attractive figure. His build is as slim as his godfather's, but he is a few inches short of the Raven's height. He is extremely heavily muscled for his build, and thanks to this weighs in at far more as his figure would initially suggest. He generally keeps his hair at a reasonable length, though when in costume he tends to fly unkept regardless of how long he is currently wearing it. Smiles come easy to his face, both in friendly greeting to new people and in cocky smirks when fighting supercriminals.
His costume is, like his mentor's primarily black with muted blues to blend into dark, urban environments, but lacks a cape entirely, as Drake dislikes their bulk, heavily preferring to remain mobile when he fights. The black bodysuit is broken up by a red bird-emblem on his chest, and a leather-like jacket he wears over it, as the bodysuit has not room for his tools.

History:
Drake Grey is the son of Timothy Grey, formerly the Duncan Summer's archeological partner before Summer's discovered the treasure that would create his fortune. While Summers eventually invested his earnings into a tidy profit after losing his family to crime, Tim Grey never truly stopped adventuring, eventually marrying and having a son while keeping up his globe-trotting lifestyle. One day he came to Freedom Ciy to introduce their children to each other and catch up on old times. On the way there, young Drake's parents were murdered by a Mafia hit gone horrifically wrong, orphaning Drake at age twelve.

Duncan found and took in Drake as his godfather, raising the barely thirteen-year-old boy as his own along with his daughter Callie. While Drake at first was a morose and depressed child who frequently acted out, one day he accidentally discovered his godfather's Raven costume, long in storage since his retirement. Drake confronted his god father, demanding that Duncan train him as a crime fighter so he could prevent what happened to his parents from ever happening again.

Initially as reluctant to train Drake in crimefighting as he was his daughter Callie, Duncan eventually was convinced by Drake's conviction to supervise his training, eventually founding the Claremont Academy based on his newfound enjoyment of teaching, where Drake became one Duncan's very first students, giving Drake both a formal education and the training in superheroics he desired.
Drake, though initially distant from his Claremont peers, found his first real friends in the Claremont Academy's grounds, bonding especially well with the young Fletcher Beaumont III, then known as Arrow. Drake and Fletch's eagerness to attempt crime-fighting before they had officially graduated eventually created the first iteration of the NextGen team, with Drake fighting crime as "Sparrow", often taking an unofficial leadership position for the team thanks to his extensive focus and tactical training...when he wasn't arguing with Fletch over orders, that is.

Spending years fighting both street crime in Southside Freedom and whatever supervillain threats the teenaged heroes of the NextGen ran into, when Drake graduated he was an extremely versitile hero. Uninterested in taking up Summer's old mantle of The Raven (and his godsister Callie had adopted it in the meantime anyway), Drake instead became "Rook", becoming his own man and crimefighter.

Personality & Motivation:

Drake is remarkably well-adjusted despite the traumas he experienced early in life. Having adventured with his parents across the globe almost from birth, the thrill of his crime-fighting lifestyle appeals to him, though he tempers his daredevil tendencies with a strong sense of right and wrong drilled into him by his mentor. If confronted directly, Drake would be forced to admit that he's a superhero because he's been trained to do it since he was thirteen, and really knows (and doesn't want to know) any other way to live his life.

Powers & Tactics:

Drake has no superhuman abilities, with all of his skills instead being a result of extensive physical conditioning and combat training.

Physical

Olympic Level Strength: Drake is extremely strong for his build, capable of lifting 300lbs above his head unaided, and can bench-press over 500lbs.

Olympic Level Agility: Drake's tendons and natural agility are favorably comparable to an Olympic gold medalist gymnyst and acrobat.

Olympic Level Stamina: Drake's extensive endurance training has improved his endurance immense. He is able to function at peak form for at least an hour before fatigue begins to impair his functionality in combat and activity.

Olympic Level Speed: Perhaps most impressive is Drake's running speed. On a level surface he can run up to 80kph (50mph), twice as fast as the world land speed record for an unaugmented, non-superpowered human.

Skills and Training

Master Acrobat: Trained extensively in extreme acrobatics maneuvers, Drake is an astoudningly competent acrobat, able to dazzle and disorient his enemies with his grace and quick maneuvers.
Master Martial Artist: Though not versed in any specific style, Drake is a highly talented combatant, instead trained by Duncan Summers in practical fighting techniques rather then adhering himself to a single specific form. He is easily capable of engaging multiple combatants and coming out to top. Perhaps more impressively, using a combination of his strength, skill, speed, and training he is capable of engaging superhuman foes, even when greatly outmatched by their sheer physical abilities, though at a certain point superhumans become too physically potent for him to handle.
Stealth Expert: Very much like his mentor Drake is practically invisible when he desires to be. Through Eastern stealth techniques he demonstrates the seemingly superhuman ability to vanish without sound or trace even in broad daylight while being observed (much to the chargrin of others). He once sat in a crowded room right next to a group of people he was observing, remaining unnoticed (if not technically unseen) by them simply through body posture and psychological tricks.
Expert Driver: Drake is fond of showing off advanced driving skill on his bike, often doing things as dangerous as driving on extremely narrow ledges and other visually impressive stunts.

Expert Detective: Though he spent more time on combat training, Drake is no slouch when it comes to investigative and detective work.

Equipment

Costume: Perhaps the most practical piece of equipment he uses, Drake's costume is not simple cloth, but is a piece of advanced Class V body armor, composed of Kevlar/boroide and silicate-oriented fiber in a ceramic matrix, with the jacket he wears over his bodysuit reinforced with a microscopic chainmail titanium nitride sandwitched between the fiber layers. It is highly bullet-resistant, and lower-caliber rounds and assaults it is actually physically impervious against, though it's flexible nature means he can still feel the concussive force of impacts.
Techmask: The small domino mask on his face is actually a sophisticated visual processing system. With lense filters for infrared and ultraviolet light, Drake can see perfectly in total darkness. The mask also has built-in vision enhancements (x100 magnification), and a highly advanced analysis system that lets him visually identify chemical compouds, structures, materials, visible energy signitures, and largely anything he can see, amplifying his ability to do detective work. It also has more mundane features, such as a GSP distance sensor, a clock/stopwatch, and compass, and a broadband radio reciever built into the earpiece connected to it.
Wingblades: Distinctive throwing weapons resembling large shiruken, wingblades are tri-tipped stars, with two of the tips having grooves cut into the edge (making them resemble wings), with the third is unadorned (resembling a bird's tail), and final, smaller point between the "wings" of the object, akin to an upright pointed bird's beak. Composite-graphite molded, nearly unbreakable up to 10,000 PSI, laser-honed so they never loose their edge, they are perfectly balanced while being totally expendable, and can be thrown with impressive force by Drake, cutting deep even into materials like brick or steel.
Wingcycle: Drake's personal transportation is a highly-tuned motorcycle he flippantly nicknames the "Wingcycle". It is equipped with a shifting exterior that lets it disguise itself as civilian motorbikes, Drake can leave it anywhere without suspicion being aroused by it's appearance. Normally it's top speed is 250mph, with a nitrous injector it can potentially reach speeds up to 500mph, though Drake doesn't use this often as it is hard on the engine and is extremely difficult to control. It also has "jacks" that allow the bike to "jump" even without a ramp, letting Drake perform truly ludicrous stunts on it, especially at top speed. It also has a simple voice-activated remote control from his techmask.

Complications:

Secret: Identity (Drake must keep his identity secret, not only because of his own safety, but for the safety of his godfamily.)
Enemies: Raven's Rogues Gallery (Anyone who's ever held a grudge against the Raven knows that to attack his former sidekick is an excellent way to hurt him indirectly.)
Fame: In his secret identity Drake is a fairly well-known socialite in Freedom City, and one of it's most eligable (and well-off) bachelors, thus is presence is fairly noted among social circles when he travels.

Relationships: Though not lacking for charm or looks (his appearence has been commented on by the opposite sex more then once) has a truly awful track record with the opposite sex, thanks to the demands of his superheroing (which he considers his actual job) and his need to keep his identity a secret. His most "successful" relationships have always been with other superheroes, all of which often ended on poor terms, thanks to Drake's "workaholic" attitude towards crime-fighting or trauma.

Strength: 18 (+4)

Dexterity: 18 (+4)

Constitution: 16 (+3)

Intelligence: 12 (+1)

Wisdom: 12 (+1)

Charisma: 12 (+1)

Combat: 20 + 20 = 40PP

Initiative: +8

Attack: +10, +12 (melee), +10 (ranged)

Grapple: +14

Defense: +12 (+10 Base, +2 Dodge Focus), +5 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -4

Saving Throws: 3 + 4 + 7 = 14PP

Toughness: +8 (+3 Con, +5 [costume, Extra: Impervious 2])

Fortitude: +6 (+3 Con, +3)

Reflex: +8 (+4 Dex, +4)

Will: +8 (+1 Wis, +7)

Skills: 76R = 19PP

Acrobatics 6 (+10)

Climb 4 (+8)

Computers 4 (+5)

Disable Device 4 (+5)

Drive 4 (+8)

Escape Artist 4 (+8)

Gather Information 7 (+8)

Intimidate 6 (+7)

Investigate 6 (+7)

Knowledge [streetwise] 6 (+7)

Notice 8 (+9)

Search 7 (+8)

Sense Motive 4 (+5)

Stealth 6 (+10)

Feats: 19PP

Acrobatic Bluff

Attack Focus (Melee) 2

Benefit (Wealth) 2

Dodge Focus 2

Equipment 4

Evasion 1

Hide in Plain Sight

Improved Initiative 1

Power Attack

Precise Shot 1

Ranged Pin

Takedown Attack 1

Uncanny Dodge (Hearing)

Equipment: 20EP

Computer [smart Phone] (2EP)

Commlink (1EP)

Lock release gun (1EP)

"Wingcycle" motorcycle w/Disguise, Remote Control, Nitro Injectors, Jumping Jacks (13EP)

Multi-tool (1EP)

Rebreather (1EP)

Powers: 20+2+5+2+1=30PP
Device 5 (Costume Gear, 20PP, Flaws: Hard-to-Lose) [20PP]

Blast 8 ("Wingblades", Slashing [Non-Lethal], Drawback: Reduced Range [Thrown]) [8PP]

Protection 5 (protective costume, Extra: Impervious 2) [7PP]

Super-Senses 9 (Techmask, Infravision, Radio, Analytical [Vision], Extended [Vison] 1, Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Time Sense, Ultravision) [9PP]

Super-Movement 1 ("jumpline", Swinging) [2PP]

Leaping 1 (x2) [1PP]

Strike 4 (combat training, Extras: Mighty) [5PP]

Speed 3 (50mph) [3PP]

Super-Senses 1 (Danger Sense [hearing]) [1PP}

Drawbacks: -0=0PP

DC Block

ATTACK             RANGE           SAVE                                       EFFECT
Unarmed Strike  Touch             DC23  Toughness (Staged)      Damage (Physical)
Blast                   Ranged          DC23  Toughness (Staged)      Damage (Physical)

Totals: Abilities (28) + Combat (40) + Saving Throws (14) + Skills (14) + Feats (19) + Powers (30)=150/150 Power Points

Edited by BType

A character proposal, derived from the "Grown-Up Sidekick" archetype from the Iron Age Sourcebook, and obviously based off of Richard "Dick" Grayson, alias Nightwing. Hopefully the math is on the ball, as I am just terrible with numbers, which is why I went with an archetype so I could modify most of the math for what I needed.
I also hopefully got the format right, i was sticking as close to possible as what else I'd seen on here.

BType! Welcome to America! I mean, to the site!

Anyway, the Character Bank isn't for putting both the sheet AND the Questionnaire. The HellQ goes in the character's News thread(in the News subsection of the forum). In any case, you CAN'T submit the HellQ before your character is approved, so cool your horses. :D

The numbers look good to me at first glance but I'm not a Moderator and am one of the weaker builders so take that with a shaker of salt, only things I can see wrong with it are: you spelled 'losing' wrong, you need to mention how much each Power coats at the end of the Power in [square bracketsPP] and there's the matter of why Duncan would want to train somebody so young to be his sidekick. Summers was much more of a loner than Bruce Wayne after all, and NEVER had a kid tag along for crime-fighting.

Other than that, I love Rook already! Ask one of the Refs(folks with red names) to remove the Questionnaire as we can no longer delete posts on our own and you should be set to go through our rigorous and luscious Character Approval Process Fun-Times! Don't forget to save the HellQ!

BType! Welcome to America! I mean, to the site!

Anyway, the Character Bank isn't for putting both the sheet AND the Questionnaire. The HellQ goes in the character's News thread(in the News subsection of the forum). In any case, you CAN'T submit the HellQ before your character is approved, so cool your horses. :D

The numbers look good to me at first glance but I'm not a Moderator and am one of the weaker builders so take that with a shaker of salt, only things I can see wrong with it are: you spelled 'losing' wrong, you need to mention how much each Power coats at the end of the Power in [square bracketsPP] and there's the matter of why Duncan would want to train somebody so young to be his sidekick. Summers was much more of a loner than Bruce Wayne after all, and NEVER had a kid tag along for crime-fighting.

Other than that, I love Rook already! Ask one of the Refs(folks with red names) to remove the Questionnaire as we can no longer delete posts on our own and you should be set to go through our rigorous and luscious Character Approval Process Fun-Times! Don't forget to save the HellQ!

Well my logic is clearly Summers can be TOO opposed to it, since he canonically teaches an entire class of teenagers who actively go out crime-fighting and secretly approves of the practice.

Basically I noted the Raven never had any "Robin", so I figured Drake could have been his Robin, albiet extremely temporarily. As his history with Claremont Academy and long experience as a hero suggests he's really more Nightwing then Robin anyway, which is fine since Dick Grayson is by far my favorite superhero.

Apologize about the HellQ, I didn't know about that bit.

Edited by BType

Hello BType, welcome to the site (or welcome back as I saw you originally joined awhile ago).  :D

As Ari said, it is necessary to have the cost of various powers listed to make double checking easier.  It is hard to tell, but it looks like you have more points spent under your Devices than you have points to spend (unless there are some that are alt powers of others).

But beyond what Ari has said regarding the background you have, there is possibly a bigger issue in that it does not fit with the Freedom City timeline.  Based on what you have, your character would have been orphaned in 1999 (when he was 12).  But, at that time, the Moore had been out of office for some 7 years already.  And, Callie Summers had already been active as the second Raven for at least 6 years, and likely longer than that.  Assuming the refs would be okay with the background, your character would need to be older to keep it as it is.  (And, if you do make him older, then the stuff about Claremont would need to come out, as Summers did not open Claremont until 2001.) 

If you wanted to keep him the same age, the changes I might suggest are that after his family was killed in 1999 (which would have had to be in Freedom City, as Duncan and Callie had moved there from New York by that point), Drake became Duncan’s ward and learned about Callie being the new Raven, and managed to convince Duncan and Callie to train him to fight crime.  Maybe Drake joined Callie as a sidekick, but at the very least, Drake would have been on the road to become one of the first students at Claremont when Duncan opened it in 2001.

Edited by Thevshi

Hello BType, welcome to the site (or welcome back as I saw you originally joined awhile ago).  :D

As Ari said, it is necessary to have the cost of various powers listed to make double checking easier.  It is hard to tell, but it looks like you have more points spent under your Devices than you have points to spend (unless there are some that are alt powers of others).

But beyond what Ari has said regarding the background you have, there is possibly a bigger issue in that it does not fit with the Freedom City timeline.  Based on what you have, your character would have been orphaned in 1999 (when he was 12).  But, at that time, the Moore had been out of office for some 7 years already.  And, Callie Summers had already been active as the second Raven for at least 6 years, and likely longer than that.  Assuming the refs would be okay with the background, your character would need to be older to keep it as it is.  (And, if you do make him older, then the stuff about Claremont would need to come out, as Summers did not open Claremont until 2001.) 

If you wanted to keep him the same age, the changes I might suggest are that after his family was killed in 1999 (which would have had to be in Freedom City, as Duncan and Callie had moved there from New York by that point), Drake became Duncan’s ward and learned about Callie being the new Raven, and managed to convince Duncan and Callie to train him to fight crime.  Maybe Drake joined Callie as a sidekick, but at the very least, Drake would have been on the road to become one of the first students at Claremont when Duncan opened it in 2001.

Yeah, I'm aware of the timeline difficulties.

I kind of wish Freedom City using a more flexible timescale and was less specific at times, since by all rights most of these characters are now a decade-and-change older then their "official" ages, meaning literally every single thing we know about them currently is no longer canon, because real life advances a LOT faster then they come out with suppliments explaining what's happened to Summers, so on and so forth. Callie Summers would hardly be the youngish woman in her twenties anymore for instance, she'd be thirty-five or something.

I'm not sure how to reconcile the differences between Rook's history and the timeline rather then just handwaving it or literally scrapping the character in his entirety and starting over with someone new something I do NOT want to do even in the slightest. It would be extremely frustrating since I joined awhile ago and made several character ideas that I just ended up not liking, and therefore just stopped coming here entirely for some time. I had this idea and it clicked, so I dunno what else to do.

Also, I checked my math: my Device powers are math-accurate, to the best of my knowledge. Blast would cost more, but it has a drawback hugely reducing it's maximum range. Also super-senses are pretty freaking cheap: I actually added a bunch in there at the end because I had some points left over after adjusting the build and I couldn't think of what else to add that would fit his whole concept, so I basically made his mask akin to the Cowl's "Detective Mode" in those new Arkham games.

Edited by BType

Hey, BType, I went ahead and moved this sheet to Character Building since it's not ready to be in the Bank. The Bank is for finalized sheets - Character Building is the place for players to help you build your concept and mechanics before you put them on display in the Character Bank. 

There's nothing wrong with the idea of a Grown-Up Sidekick becoming an independent hero - it's an iconic archetype for a reason. (Though remember that a sidekick originally trained in the Iron Age would not be a young man now; the early 90s were more long ago than some of us would like to admit...)

To make this concept work, you'd need to create the NPC legacy he'd be stepping into. The Raven legacy is already in-use, and there are more experienced PCs who are natural heirs to it in game play - We're naturally not going to retcon twenty years of in-setting history and our site's backstory so your character concept can work. 

Hey, BType, I went ahead and moved this sheet to Character Building since it's not ready to be in the Bank. The Bank is for finalized sheets - Character Building is the place for players to help you build your concept and mechanics before you put them on display in the Character Bank. 

There's nothing wrong with the idea of a Grown-Up Sidekick becoming an independent hero - it's an iconic archetype for a reason. (Though remember that a sidekick originally trained in the Iron Age would not be a young man now; the early 90s were more long ago than some of us would like to admit...)

To make this concept work, you'd need to create the NPC legacy he'd be stepping into. The Raven legacy is already in-use, and there are more experienced PCs who are natural heirs to it in game play - We're naturally not going to retcon twenty years of in-setting history and our site's backstory so your character concept can work. 

I've revised the concept already: he's now technically the Duncan Summer's protegee and one of the Claremont Academy's original students rather then the Raven's sidekick. Now he's still connected to the Raven, but he he was never his sidekick, more akin to an adopted grandson, and while he never worked with Duncan Summers personally, he was still trained by him, akin to Terry McGinnis in the Batman Beyond series. He still used the "Sparrow" identity, but only as an independent hero akin to Dick Grayson's early New Teen Titans days (a deliberate parrallel), and later became Rook. This also puts him closer to the Bowman in age, whom according to the Freedom City book was a recent graduate from Claremont in 2005, meaning eight years later he'd be twenty-six.

See his updated profile now for specific changes.

This actually works better for me honestly. I hope these changes make him viable for the game now?

Edited by BType