GM Post

Carmen needed only spare a glance at the demons to recognize them as Dreadknights, minotaur-looking demons clad in armor that serve as guardsmen for the legions of hell. She remembered that the flame surrounding them repels elemental powers, such as her own fire, and if its color is dark, that's a sign that the creatures have been drawn to the mundane world by the hand of a summoner, and are bound to him, not that they would otherwise leave their infernal domain.

Upon seeing her, Acheron shouted at Carmen "What the hell are you doing here, girl? You want to get yourself killed? GET OUT OF HERE!"

Alex, keeping an eye on the demons said to Alvaro "Dammit, Alvaro, I told you two to ensure miss Canto and master Bloom's safety! Take them to the basement! I SAID GO!" At that, he opened fire at the demon near him, who effortlessly sidesteped the blast, while Alvaro was too terrified to register the order and respond.

"Urf GAlak alaKALEsh unk suND." One of the demons spoke in an infernal language.

"Meggel has ASInda rukHO, toffany ReffJINga tor madaSKO CPLat." The other replied, with a snorty laugh. "Magganda AgeTO rashka NOLdy."

"MaoHEeyo. Taskan BniGEm torak GAlak inskum ggeBAk, MASak endah."

"Sakllaaat. Narhol udo Danvae, Miyogsk IkiSkEN aras manatu eSTA."

Tazel from within Carmen provided her with the translation.

"These humans are weaker than what I thought."

"Indeed, I don't understand how they managed to take out so many Hellstingers. Goes to show how weak the newest breeds are."

"Doesn't matter. We will kill all the humans in this island, for our Master."

"Yeeees. And after that, he will have to keep his end of the bargain."

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou, Tazel Carmen said to the demon in her belly. After all politeness cost nothing. Even to a twisted backstabbing creature like him. 

And if you could lend me your tongue...she ordered. 

"<What Bargain is this?>" she demanded. "<And who is your master? Answer me, or I'll send you back to the infernal realms with your wings clipped and your flesh broken!>" she shouted.

BANG BANG She let loose another two rounds from the rifle. She had handled more than a few guns when she rode with various biker gangs. And she knew how to use them. 

"<Don't think I haven't sent your kind packing before, and stronger beasts than you!>" she explained. 

GM Post

The blow from Carmen's rifle struck true and the bullet heavily pierced the demonic creature, who was left disoriented and dazed from the blow, while the other Dreadknight ran towards Alvaro, cleaving him right in the shoulder with little effort. The man screamed, and promptly fell in a catatonic shock, but it was evident that he was still breathing. "ALVARO!" shouted Acheron, and Alex attempted to shoot the monstrous creature. Unfortunately, the Dreadknight had been aware of Alex's intent, sidestepping too fast for Acheron's valet to follow, and letting the shot hit nothing but air.

"Kuluk am GRAhga atmem NoC, GAlak! Maka sul, Uhusta, AKR aka jaklen, mifra es POUnkt dorAK, EbabvEL Trad CoraLCe medtendi jam LOOcca. Derm ek makalDerm as AHAntda owgva MVanith tossak, aherga Dismva."

"Your turn will come in time, Human! As for you, female, you are sorely mistaken, if you think your baseless words hold any meaning to me, just because you can understand the forbidden language of the 3rd Circle. Me and my Brother will make sure to bathe our blades in your blood, for your insolence."

It was at that point that both Acheron and Alex gathered their wits long enough to realise that Carmen was actually conversing with the beasts. "What? What is happening? How can she...?" Alex wordlessly aimed his rifle, not at the Dreadknight, but at Carmen herself.

Edited by Vahnyu

"<You are welcome to try!>" she shouted back in instinct. "<But I have sent bigger and stronger demons than you screaming back to where you came from. And you won't enjoy it, I can assure you...>" she sneered, full of red mist. 

Then she saw the gun Alex had swung at her. 

Oh that's Great! Alex doesn't trust me when I speak some damned infernal language...can't say I blame him...

She kicked herself in fury, She really needed to control her bloodlust when it came to Infernal creatures. But she had a lot of history with them, and fighting that anger was pretty hard. 

Normally, she could channel that anger to bring forth the metal and smoke of the Infernal Forge, a dimension of endless horrible fire and steel. But something told her Alex would open fire on her if she started using such blatantly demonic magic. 

"Not me, idiot!" she said, without taking her eyes of the demons. 

"I just happen to know how to hunt these things!" she explained, in a short terse statement. 

"You shoot me, and these things have won!" she said. 

BANG BANG! sang her rifle as she unleashed some more rounds. 

How many has this thing got? she asked herself, hoping she would not run out of ammunition. 

"See, I'm shooting at them!"

GM Post

The shot struck the demonic creature right in the noggin, and while it was too strong for the bullet to pierce it, it landed with enough force to rattle its brain. The Dreadknight was left off balance, while its comrade recovered.

"You... just happen to know... and they just happen to attack us the very same day you arrive?..." Alex was still eyeing Carmen wearilly, but the Dreadknight lunged at the woman, with a powerful swing that proved too wide. "Voren tavERel, Uhusta. MASak adYUr Gahek groLL salac. Nicrer TaSOlk"

You will pay for that, female. You are not going to ruin Master's plan! Now face death!"

While the attack failed to land on its target, it did have the effect of reassuring Alex that, no matter what Carmen's relationship with the demons were, she was certainly not in league with them. "Then I'll trust you with that one, miss Canto." he said, and without missing a beat, he nailed the dazed demon with another powerful shot, one that made it take a step or two while trying to regain its sense of balance.

Billy, for his part, decided that it was time to join the fray, attacking the careless demon that tried to cleave Carmen's head clean off. He managed to score a hit on its shoulder, but the Dreadknight only had to flex it a bit to shake the Cantos Stick off. "Ahhh... that... might not have been the smartest thing I've done..."

"Yeah, but it's a great story to tell your Grandkids, Billy!" replied Carmen, full of encouragement. 

It may, she thought, be time to fire up with the full power she possessed, but Alex's loyalties were suitably ephemeral. She didn't want to risk it quite yet. 

"Alex, they may have turned up when I came to the Island, but I sure as hell didn't pack their toothbrush for the trip. Believe me!" she explained. 

"Lets finish these beasts! Archeron needs us!" she said, trying to appeal to his loyalty - although he was doing well enough, she thought. 

"Eat lead, boys!" she shouted at the Demons, unleashing another couple of rounds...

GM Post

Carmen's rifle packed quite a punch from close distance, and the shot it delivered point-blank shattered the demon's exposed jaw, causing him to writhe in pain, unable to even scream properly. "UUUUAAARRRRGGG!!!"

Both Alex and Billy complied with Carmen and continued to fight off the Dreadknights; Alex, by shooting at his quarry again, and Billy, by trying to bash in his opponent's skull. Alas, while both of them struck true, their efforts proved in vain this time; the rifle shot hit the demon in his armor and didn't manage to even shake him, while the other demon caught Billy's strike with one hand, and even though visibly shaken, he threw the young man twenty feet away as if he was a ragdoll."Whoa-WHOAAA!" Billy screamed in surprise, and though he hit the floor, he was able to get up instantly. "Are you... okay... Billy?" Acheron said, his wound now causing him to shift in and out of consciousness. "Yeah, yeah, no worries." He said, semi-absentmindedly.

As for the two Dreadknights, they now appeared to have recovered their wits. Even if one of them had lost its jaw, and was shivering due to the pain, they both looked enraged beyond measure, and their fire started acting in a weird manner, flickering more violently than ever before.

"Billy, I don't like the look of that!" shouted Carmen, uncertain as to what the demons where up to, but succumbing to her natural instinct to be wary of them. 

It looked like they might explode. 

"Everyone, get out of here!" she ordered, with as much conviction as she could manage. "Grab Acheron! I'll hold them off! I know what I'm doing!" she explained, as she unleashed a wild flurry of bullets. 

Yeah, I DO know what I am doing...she shouted at herself to firm up her resolve. She ignored the sweat on her palms and forehead as she unleashed another round...

GM Post

Even though hurt, the Dreadknight had recovered enough of his strenght to avoid the shot, and return the favor to Carmen. He managed to bring down his sword, but the reeling pain caused him to wobble and misstep, thus missing his mark completely. Still, the demon was too strong and combat ready for Billy's taste, and the young man decided to take some safe distance, especially after seeing the second Dreadknight recover and fume in anger. "Sah GraHAK mala EST, Morf GAlak! Kano DRA shEiN vla MiksHja haDOSK mBAk!..." It furiously spat in its infernal language, as it ran towards Alex and hit him with the flat side of his sword. The valet found himself flying towards the wall, whereupon he crashed with might, and he could only muster a groan before falling unconscious. Indicating Acheron, the demon said "Todek sukh HAI", and lifted his sword as he prepared to deliver the coup de grace.

"I am getting tired of you humans! I won't rest until I tear you to shreds!... Starting with THIS[Acheron] one."

"Take this, its got bullets in it..." said Carmen, tossing the gun to her feet for Billy. 

Tazel, fire me up! I command you! This has gone on long enough! I'm not letting Acheron's head get cut off by some demon, no matter what's going on here...and certainly not because I am holding back....

Her secrets be damned, nobody was going to die today if she could stop it. 

Her eyes flamed and her body was wrapped in smoke, leathers and silk. 

"I'm not just any human, you fool!" she shouted at the Demon. "I have your kind bound to my service!!!!"

With that, she flung back her arms, and with all her might unleashed a crushing mass of blackened, smoking metal, all spikes and flanges, symetrical, spinning, and beautiful, at the Demon holding the sword. 

GM Post

The metal skewered the demon, who wrothe in pain, as it prepared itself to cut down the artist. Instead, it found itself consumed in the dark flame, like the Hellstingers, as it drew its last breath. As for the flame itself, though, it remained, rather than vanish, and the Dreadknight whose jaw had been blown off, extended his arm at it, absorbing its essence unto his own, healing him, and visibly growing in muscle size, while doing so. "HeqqUeTH Haddosk RIMulba, Uhusta. Tor NAMie, ezzeTO garsk matLIgn issat Romk."

You thought you had dealt with me,

female. But thanks to you, I will now show you that your powers aren't enough to stop me.

Fully rejuvanated, the Dreadkinght attempted to raise his sword arm and deliver a punishing blow at Carmen. However, for the merest of seconds, his eyes glew brightly dark, and instead, he punched Carmen's gut. The attack merely took the woman by surprise, but it was all the demon needed to run towards Acheron, and deliver his sword unto the musician's chest. "WriGo Sukha muraK, GAlak! Nasen tarRi iken GNU potASH MASak"

Only

Death awaits you, humans! I will fullfil my master's contract at all costs,"

Billy, though terrified, gulped down and tried to fire with the rifle at the demon. His hand was too unsteady, unfortunately, and his arms were not used to the recoil, making the shot miss by a wide margin. "Oh god, oh god, oh GOD!" he kept muttering.

Carmen stood shocked for a moment. For all her dealings with the horrors of demons, she was more used to them being tricky, devious and wicked as opposed to outright brutal, although she was fully aware that they had that trait on the menu. 

"But what is this?" she wailed "a contract to murder? who is bade you kill this man? tell me! tell me now!" she demanded. 

"Whoever he is, I shall make him pay for this! the deed may have come from your wicked hands, but the blood is on his his!" she yelled. She made a fist, and formed a whip like length of chain, that she hurled at the horrible beast, intent on breaking its will and body both. 

"Billy! Get back! I won#t have your death too!" she screamed. 

GM Post

The demon was caught, both by surprise and by the metal chains Carmen's attack produced, and while it struggled to let itself loose, the Dreadknight could not break the chains, managing only to loosen a few of the metal links. The creature thrashed about, while spouting curses in its native language, that Tazel, for once, wisely decided to leave utranslated, lest he face the wrath of his master. He did, however, translate the part that said "Adhjeh e oife oif IEKEL. Drgja, ffdjro GAlak, morgorn ORbal sakHett Ylubna."

"What

sorcery is THIS? Release me, you vile human, or suffer the consequences of my wrath!"

It was, given the circumstances, as one might have gathered, pretty empty for a threat, but one might also feel inclined to hand the demon points, if not for nothing else, for effort and flair. Still, Billy wasn't said one, instead preferring to follow Carmen's advice on getting the hell out of dodge. Not that he'd be able to understand the demon if he had stayed, mind, but he might have gotten the general intent.

Edited by Vahnyu

What's the Matter Tazel, cat got your tongue? asked Pitch, although she was not inclined to hear the full curse. Some things, she conceded, where best left unknown. 

"There is plenty more where that came from!" she said to the Demon, as a spear of blackened metal, irregular but heavy formed in her right hand. With her left, she kept a firm grip on the chain that bound the Demon. The creature was very strong, she realised. She did not think she could hold its body or spirit for long. 

And it was too dangerous to risk being left alive. 

She pulled herself to the demon, and then, with a belch of smoke, from her hand, threw the metal at the hated creature. 

"This is for Archeron!"

GM Post

The demon let out a horrible scream, as the pointy end from the spear that materialized in Carmen's hand was forcefully driven inside his shoulder, puncturing it and causing the Dreadknight to lose his balance. The demonic creature fell on its legs, further weighted down by the chains, and was wildly grasping for room to breath. The dark flame aura that surrounded him reacted wildly, in conjuction with the demon's pain, but that was all just for show; Carmen had gotten the demon good, and now the abominant monster was well and trully at Carmen's mercy. The creature started realising that it was neither fluke nor entirely empty boasting, the fact that this woman made a regular job out of dealing with demons. Still, the Dreadknight was yet far from giving up, and he wasn't planning to go down without a fight.

"You, my friend, are going to tell me all about whatever infernal deal you made. I don't know why anyone would want Archeron dead, but I aim to find out. And make them pay for it. And they will pay..."

She ignored the complications of exactly how she was going to prove that a man was murdered by infernal pact. It was unlikely to go down well in courts. 

Then Damn the courts, this time...

This was MURDER...

"Justice will be done" she said, picking up the Cantos Stick and turning to the Demon. She would not underestimate it - but she knew she held the upper hand right now. 

"So tell, me, who was it?" she asked in a firm and menacing voice. 

GM Post

"... Grrr... Grok Kalak saCKteN ErgOSt, GAlak. atamAV Sakoth SKard, Tookal BarsEc!" The demon thrashed and growled, and finally, after some struggle, he managed to break free. By that time, Billy had reached for the stairs, and turning briefly around, he shouted at Carmen. "HEY BOSS! GIVE HIM A GOOD THRASHING!" and with that, he started descending the stairs. From there, he could see the rescue team struggling against some Hellstingers, and gulping, in order to brace himself, readied his rifle and headed towards the fight.

"... Grrr... Your

threats don't scare me, human. As soon as I get free, I'll tear you to shreds!"

An evil smile appearing on the Dreadknight's restored mouth, he left a roaring laugh, as he headed towards Carmen. Seeing her pick up her stick, the demon taunts "Maak KAlakraJUK sokanth. DoraBIN sik Toorma das?"

"What a cute little

stick you have there. Do you intend to poke me with it?"

"This old thing?" asked Carmen, looking at the Cantos Stick she held. 

It was old, she realised. Perhaps even older than her father. Where had he got at it? had he imbued it with its powers, or merely mastered it. It struck her that so much of her legacy was as yet a mystery to her. She could hardly trust Tazel to speak the truth. And her fathers diaries, whilst suggestive, where riddled with layers of the cryptic and befuddling. 

Fire me up Tazel! she ordered, as she erupted into smoke and wisps of flame, her clothing folding into studded leather and silk, her eyes reddening. 

"No. I'm not poking you with that..." she grinned, fury in her mouth and words. 

A massive spear of burnt and black metal formed in her other hand. All barbs and crooks. 

"This, however, I will be poking you with..." she explained, hurling the smoking weapon towards the creature in a trail of sulfur and smoke...

GM Post

The black spear pierced the demon's armor and sternum with so much force, that it exited the Dreadknight's body from the other way, and got lodged in the wall behind. Dropping it's sword, the creature coughed its demonic blood, its eyes unfocusing as it clenched its chest, trying frantically to graps for air, while the dark flame flickered furiosly. Its struggle to breath caused the creature to swallow blood both into its stomach and its lungs, leaving it unable to even make an audible noise, much less scream. Buckling on its knees, the Dreadknight layed there, in front of Carmen, all but defeated.

Alex had regained his senses, by now, and he witnessed Carmen mercilessly skewer that thing that caused him, Acheron, and Alvaro so much trouble mere moments ago, while barely breaking a sweat doing so. That trully is no ordinary woman... he thought, equal parts of dread and awe taking over him.

"Stick around, I'll be back!" sneered Pitch at the Demon, flexing her fist at the defeated Demon. 

She would normally tear the thing to shreds, but Billy was on her mind. As much as she wanted Vengeance on the thing, she didn't want the kid falling to the demons either. 

She spun round, and grasping her cane started off to follow the photographer. As she hauled herself after him she caught sight of Alex. 

"Don't ask, and don't tell" she said simply and firmly, eyes blazing red. 

She looked back at the demon. 

"And if that thing makes a move, kill it!" she said, indicating the gun by his side. 

GM Post

Nodding at Carmen, Alex staggered slowly towards his rifle, picking it up while clutching and massaging his head, in order to lessen the headache he was experiencing, and pointed the weapon at the heavily wounded demon. The Dreadknight eyed the man scornfully, while the valet examined the demon without a trace of emotion in his face, at least, not a readable one.

The Dreadknight stood up, fighting back the leak from his chest wound.

Alex kept the rifle trainned at the demon's head, his face remaining emotionless.

The Dreadknight smiled, showing a toothy grin. "... tarRo... U GNU potASH... MASak."

Phlegethon Villa

00:46

Carmen could hear the gunshots from the rifle be accompanied by demonic shrieks, and while the humans shouted directions at each other, no signs of them screaming out of pain could be discerned. By the time she reached the first floor, things quieted down drastically. A few steps farther, and she could see the staff, and Billy, who was unharmed, either slumping on the floor or standing against the walls in an attempt to catch their breaths, as the characteristic dark flame that surrounded the Hellstingers and the Dreadknights vanished into nothingness, an indication that the demons had been dealt with.

Billy greeted Carmen, as soon as he noticed her. "Yo, boss! Everything alright up there?" The rest of the staff murmured a bit, some of them trying to find their strength in order to get up, climb the stairs, and rush to Acheron's aid. "How's lord Acheron?" "Wasn't that lady going up to lend a hand?" "D'you think she got scared and ran away." "Nah, I don't think so... I mean, listen, d'you hear that?" Dead silence reigned, the only audible noise, aside from heavy breathing, was the hail as it violently struck the roof and the windows, creating a reverbrating sound. Everyone could finally take a sigh of relief; the worst seemed to have pas-

***BAUUUMM***

-the sudden noise of gunfire woke everyone into alert, as they looked around to see from whence the shot was fired, in case another demon was within the area.

***BAUM*BAUM*BAUM***

Another three successive shots, and everyone could tell that they were coming from above.

Carmen groaned inwardly. 

Shakespeare, though pen ist missed, for the night does drippeth with claret worthy of thy most bloody of acts!

Tazel, no comments please...

"Billy, stay here! And for God's sake, stay alive!!!" she shouted, before turning heel, managing an elegant spiral of smoke as she did. 

"Alex!" she shouted upstairs, wondering if he could hear her, and if he could, if we would pay any attention. 

Deciding that the time for words had passed, for tonight was a night of action and bloody violent action at that, she chased back upstairs...

GM Post

Billy of course had intended to follow Carmen's orders; the woman had already saved his life, and had thus far proved herself capable of dealing with the demons and handling the situation, putting Acheron's death aside. Even then, he understood that the creatures were ruthless as they were strong, and he couldn't expect Carmen to always have the answer to everything, though right now, he hoped to dear god that she did. However, the matter of the fact is that, upon the gunshots, and alongside Carmen, everyone else had rallied themselves to stand up, readied their arms once again, and rushed towards the source of the sound. Billy counted his options, and he decided that, at the moment, the large group of people armed to the teeth, and the woman who could summon fire and brimstone to do battle with demons, was the safest place for him to be. "Sorry, Boss... Guess I'll be sticking with you yet more."

It took less than a minute for the group to scale the stairs and arrive at the now silent room that Acheron's body was. There, in front of it, Alex, his face unmoving as a stone, stared pointlessly ahead, while holding a more relaxed pose. His breathing was light, but his sigh was heavy. He was alive, and relatively unharmed. Next to him, a patch of burnt floor. A few feet away, a smaller patch, vaguely resembling a long item. No sign of the Dreadknight's body, nor of his sword.

Everyone fell silent at the sight. Billy knew what had transpired with the owner of the villa, but he decided that now was not the time for him to speak. After a few moments, Alex acknowledged everyone else currently in the third floor.

"What the hell happened?" asked Pitch, shouting more than she intended and spilling smoke and flame from her mouth as she did. 

Literally...what the hell...

She surveyed the scene, and Alex, wondering if the shock had shattered his mind and he had lost his grip on sanity. The man had seemed abnormally close to Archeron - and the murder had been brutal by anybodies standard. 

"Alex...what happened here... tell me...please...." she said, shifting back to her normal form, night clothes and all, and not caring a damn about her identity, legacy, secret, or indeed modesty. 

"I want to...I need to know what happened here. These things said they had been summoned to kill Archeron. And I want to know summoned them. Because they have his blood on his..or her hands..."

GM Post

Everyone murmured at the mention of Acheron's death, a few of the staff going into the room to verify this. "... I'm... I..." Alex tried to say. Taking a deep breath, he managed to regain his composure. "... I'm sorry for worrying you, miss Canto. No, I'm alright... Master Phlegethon... I grew up alongside George, ever since his family came to Freedom City. To me, he was more of a younger brother, rather than an employer, and to see him... before my eyes... it's unreal..." Alex reminished. Everyone else present remained silent.

"... Anyways, the demon, yes. When he saw you gone, he got up and tried to attack me. I blasted his damned mug off the face of the planet, just like you told me to. To be perfectly frank, though, even if you had instructed me to try and apprehend him alive, I don't think I would have made the effort-no, I'm certain I wouldn't have." The other servants could only nod in approval.

"At any rate, took you guys long enough to come. What took you so long?" Alex asked the servants, who had arrived as back up. One of them was tending to the fallen Alvaro, who was knocked unconscious. "I'm sorry, sir Movida. We were attacked by a swarm of these creatures." "Anyone injured?" "No, we managed to fight them off without sustaining any casualties."

"Just how did they manage to get in?" "No idea. Hopefully, none will anymore." the staff chattered, now that the dust had properly settled.

Alex asked one of them. "And what about the mainland? Did you ask for help evacuating this island?" "Aaaah, sorry, sir. The storm seems to be interfering with our communications' range. We can't seem to reach Freedom City, at all." "That's... more than a little worrysome... we may be trapped here for god knows how mu-..." "... and it gets worse, sir Movida." "-... Worse?" "We recieved an s.o.s. from the S.S.Gadelica. It seems that, due to the hailstorm, they were unable to go too far in the sea, before having to make a turn around and return here for an emergency docking." "...and the crew are out there, in the middle of this storm, where more of these creatures could attack them at a moment's notice?" "That's the gist of it, it appears." "... Well... that's just..."

Alex cursed.