Junk and Scrap

Whilst Lucy was inclined to trust the best in people it didn't mean she was a fool, she wouldn't have lasted long as a Lawyer if she was. And the detective was trying to play her as one. She casually stepped in front of Detective Chase and pulled her normal sunglasses to the top of her head fixing the other woman with her cold black eyes.

"Okay now's time for the truth. You know exactly what's going on here and now you're going to tell me."

She crossed her arms and looked as stern as she could, she defiantly wasn't happy with the other woman.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcus caught up to to the man fairly quickly and all but tackled him, bringing them both to the ground. He grabbed the guy's weapon arm and wrenched it behind his back, aiming to keep him pinned down with a knee. 

"...answer the question. What are you idiots digging for?! Or so help me..."

With his free hand, he let the junkyard employee see his right hand spark with electricity from the Storm rune, currents running between his fingertips. 

GM

"Hey! Get off me, man! ooorf!" grunted the Junkyard worker who was pinned against Marcus' Knee. 

His Dungarees had "Teddy" printed on the chest, in faded dyes and matted thread. 

"What...what the hell is that lightning? are you some kind of Superhero? Are you captain thunder?" he gasped, awe edging in on fear in the race of emotions. 

"I dunno much man! All I know is the boss of this place, Gordon Goodman, he calls us in and tells us to start digging. Nobody knows this guy, but, but, our leader reckoned he was onto something, something was down there. He's a smart man, the leader, the bossman. Lord Wolfbone...." he gabbled. 

"The leader of our...our cult!" he gulped. 

"The cult of the beastrune!"

Marcus's heart skipped a beat. For a while, he thought he was done with them--after the last time he and Catalyst had encountered the Gauntlet, he was certain they wouldn't try anything else. It was an incredibly naive thing to think, though, and hearing mention of the cult again genuinely gave him a chill. That concern quickly turned to righteous rage.

"Where is Wolfbone?" His tone indicated that not answering wasn't an option.

GM

"Not the face! Note the face!"

"I...I..don't know man! What, you think he tells us where he is? I barely know what he looks like, man! Wearing a cowl draped over his head. Guess he's about six foot, thin, and white. Hold on man, chillax! that's all I got, I swear! he is a hot shot lawyer, that's it. And we are sworn to secrecy!" he gulped, looking nervously at Marcus' impressive fist which, he thought, could punch his nose straight through his head to explode out the back of his neck. 

"Anyway, coupla weeks ago, he got wind of this place. We took it over, man. And the boss here, Goodman, he didn't do nuthin', just smiled and let us get on with it, no questions asked. Creepy, if you ask me!" he shuddered. 

For several moments, Marcus didn't say anything. Gears were turning in his head, and he was resisting the urge not to just throw Teddy across the junkyard. Instead, he grabbed Teddy's spanner and tossed it well out of arm's reach. Then he took a handful of Teddy's collar and stood up, hoisting the man off his feet. "We're gonna have a conversation with Goodman. I hope for your sake he's in a talking mood."

GM

"Screw that, lady, I've come here to kick some ass!" grinned Detective Amy Chance, pulling out an old, but big, revolver which looked more like a relic than anything else. "I ain't got time to talk" she said, grimly, before she kicked down the door to Goodman's hut. 

The inside was a bit shabby, but surprisingly luxurious, with a couple of old and quaint sofa's, a magnificent oak desk and chair, and wooden filing cabinets. 

Inside, Gordon Goodman looked up. He was a small man, with a long waxed moustache, a bald head, and a large Texan hat that clashed slightly with a shabby suit. His eyes were close together, and pentrating, but his face had a curious charm to it, with a large, sparkling white grin.

"Ah say! What here is the meaning of this?" he drawled. 

Meanwhile...

Teddy gulped at Marcus' strength. 

"Allright! Allright!" he wimpered. "Goodman is than hut just round there!" he pointed, down a pathway that had cut through the junk. "But he aint' with Wolfbone. He ain't part of the cult. He is just a freaky little man!" he explained. 

"Only a matter of time before the cult wastes him, if yer ask me..." he explained.

"I'll take you to him if ya want. Just don't hit me!"

Lucy sighed and followed behind the Detective, she’d never managed to be as intimidating as she wished, at least she find answer’s with this Goodman.

“When will people learn that sharing information is a good idea?†she shrugged

She poked her head round the door and gave one of her winning smile, this she was good at.

“Hello there this is Detective Chase and I’m Revenant, but you can call me Lucy.â€

She walked into the room and offered the man a hand, making sure to place herself between the man and the detective.

“Would me mind telling me what you digging up in the junkyard, and why?â€

There were a number of things going on in Marcus's head as he marched down the path leading to Goodman. He at least dropped Teddy--mostly because his arm was getting tired--and pointed at the hut. "Start walking." Determined not to let him out of sight, let alone out of reach, Marcus nudged him towards Goodman's hut.

He wasn't sure what was going on inside, but he knew there was at least one other person besides Goodman inside. Whether or not she'd seen him was debatable, and he had no idea who to trust... yet. Playing it by ear seemed like the safest bet so far.

GM

Gordon Goodman leaned back in an antique chair that creaked quite alarmingly despite his relatively modest frame. He seemed quite surprised to see Revenant, and smiled openly when he saw her. 

"Two for the price of one, eh? That's what I call good business..." he said with dubious and possibly no meaning. 

"This here property is my land, ladies. And as its so being therewithall my land, a don't see any impediment, ah say impediment, to my doing what ever I so wishes with this here land!" he said. 

"I ain't building, if that's what you is asking, although you don't look like no architect, ah say you don't look like no architect!" he said, with a grin, slamming the flat of his palm down on his desk in Texan joy. 

"As you too ladies are quite pleasant to the eye, ah say quite pleasant to the eye, I don't mind telling you we are doing a spot of excavating, prospecting that is! You see..."

At that point, Marcus burst in. 

"Ah say! What, Ah say What, is the meaning of this here intrusion, sir? Three's company, but Fours a crowd, sir! And if you don't mind me saying, you ain't so easy on the eye as my two good friends here!" he said, standing up full of outrage. 

His outrage fell on deaf ears. Marcus strode in with a very visible confidence and swagger, shoving Teddy forward towards Goodman. "I believe this belongs to you, Tex."

Marcus noted the presence of the other two, acknowledging their presences with a glance before turning his attention back towards Mr. Goodman. "I don't know what you're digging for here, but I know who you're doing it for. And it's gonna stop. That's not a threat; that's a statement of fact. Given who you're in business with... consider it an act of goodwill."

Lucy smiled and gave a little nod to the new comer, it seemed that she wasn’t the only one interested with what was being dug up in this junkyard. She stood beside the new comer and crossed her arms, it was a long shot but a united front might help gain some answers.

“I believe that the young gentleman asked you a question as did I, so we’d like some kind of answer if you please.†she smiled she could never get the hang of intimidation but bluffing was more her strong point.

“It shouldn’t take me more that a few second’s to bury what you’ve found, I’m more efficient than any Steamshovel.â€

GM

"Oh very well!" sighed Gordon Goodman with a measure of exasperation. 

"We found some caves down below. Well, we found em when a whole heap of earth caved in on it. Would you believe it? A native american burial site! Well, ah closed off the yard as soon as I got wind!"

He stood up, and hauled his slightly diminutive frame to a cabinet, which he swung to one side. It was merely a front, concealing a shaft leaning down. 

"We are prospecting. Ah say prospecting!" he said, holding his lapels and giving them a winning Texan smile. 

"And what, I ask, are you two gentleman and lady here for? Can I interest you in some here fine scrap metal? ah say fine scrap metal?" he asked politely. 

"Because I ain't selling what we found!"

He raised an eyebrow at Marcus "as for whom I am working for. Ahm my own boss, par'dner. What have you heard elsewheres anyhow, ah say elsewheres anyhow?" he said, mutilating grammar as he drawled. 

"And get the hell out of here Teddy!" he said, with annoyance at the man Marcus had thrown in. 

"...wait."

Marcus paused, halting his verbal rampage. Did he really not know who was taking advantage of him? He shook his head, looking pointedly at Gordon.

"...you're really in over your head. Whatever you think you're doing, whatever you think you've got here, someone wants it badly. Someone dangerous." He looked at Teddy. "And you? Don't move."

Looking back at Gordon, Marcus gave a nonchalant shrug. "It seems like he knows a lot more than you do."

GM

Gordon Goodman opened his eyes wide and tipped his texan duster back to a slope. 

"Teddy, eh? Well, him and his pack of goons turned up a few weeks ago, muscled in on mah little find. Well, they offered to do the work at half price, and double speed. Said they were experts at this here, ah say this here digging business. A half dozen of them, Ah should guess, Ah say, Ah should guess...Ah'm not a details man ya'see... " he explained, putting his hands out to frame an imaginary panoramic scene - and presumably a glittering one. 

"Ah'm all about the big picture!" he winked. 

"And Ah don't like it if the big picture involves danger to mah flesh and bones, Ah say I don't like it!" he said, slamming his fist on his leather desk. 

"So whay don't you and your pretty little missy here tell me what the hell is goin' awn???"

Lucy perched herself on the edge of the desk and gave Gordon a little smile, he struck her as the kind of person who would divulge more if rilled.

“Well the detective here and I’m guessing this nice gentleman here.†she gave Marcus a little wave “Seem to think that whatever you have uncovered is dangerous. And I’m not disinclined to disagree with them.â€

She gestured to herself.

“Now I’m not inclined to stop you making a profit, if it perfectly safe for you to do so. Let us look at it, and make the item safe if necessary, and then it’s all yours.â€

GM

"Very well then!" said Goodman, drawing himself up to his full and less than average height - and a bit further still by rolloing onto the front of his feet. He tipped back his head and yet somehow his Texan hat stayed on. He clutched his lapels in defiance like an American President of old. 

He plucked up a flashlight and opened up the door behind the cabinet, leading the two into a somewhat cramped tunnel down below. It was propped up by beams and had wires running along it. 

"This is the tunnel, ah say, the tunnel, we had here dug in order to get to the cave. Nice and secret away from prying, ah say, prying eyes..." he explained politely. 

The smell was not exactly unpleasant, but old, stuffy, full of earth and rust. It was not exactly big either, Marcus had to stoop uncomfortably to walk through. 

"We found, ah say, we found, some old cave. Ah believe, Ah say Ah believe it was an old Indian burial site. We picked up some arrowheads, carvings. There were cave paintings too. But that's not all! No sirree!" he said, excitedly. 

Up ahead, in the blackness, voices could be heard. 

"That would be mah associates, ah say, my associates. That is to say, ah say, that is to say, friends of that there that Teddy..."

Marcus started to speak again, but Lucy spoke up. He was actually relieved that she did; he was well aware that the Cult of the Beast Rune often made him act irrationally, and this time was no different. Hers was a more diplomatic approach, and it helped to curb the urge to tear everything down by hand.

Down in the tunnel, he couldn't see much--the flashlight helped, but untransformed, Marcus's vision was unremarkable. "Don't you think you should've called a professional? An archeologist or something?" He paused, frowning as the sudden whiff of magical energy hit his nose. He couldn't pinpoint exactly what sort of magic it was, but just knowing that it was there was enough to cement Marcus's suspicions. Between that and the rather haphazard way the tunnel had been dug out, a cave-in was a possibility. It wasn't imminent, but he was certainly going to have to be careful.

"...these associates will cast you aside the second they get a chance," he mentioned in a harsh whisper, rolling up his sleeves as if preparing for a fight.

Edited by GranspearZX

Lucy fell in step with the younger man adjusting her step to keep up with him, something someone of her short height should have been unable to do. She leant in close and whispered into his ear, trying not to look to obvious.

“I can hear voice’s up ahead and there talking about some sort of armour. Do you have any idea of what they’re talking about?â€

To their untrustworthy guide she spoke a little larger.

“As my friend here said anyone you choose to associates probably doesn’t have your best interests at heart.â€

Edited by TiffanyKorta

GM

"Armour? Yes indeed! We found some old crushed up armour in the yard. Somebody must have dumped it here. Our good luck charm. Ah say, our good luck charm!" explained Goodman, as he strode forward. 

"Next thing we knew, we had a cave in, the armour collapsed down below, well, it was mighty strange, ah tell ya. As if the armour was digging. We had to dig this here tunnel to get to it. Then we found the cave. Native American artifacts. And more! Gold! Ah'm no expert. Maybe Aztec, maybe Incan. Maybe from the Spaniards. Who cares?" he smiled. "All ah know is that set of armour dug us straight to fortune!"

Detective Amy Chance had, for now, kept quiet, despite her earlier thrust of impatience. Compared to Marcus, even she was a model of patience. 

"You don't know what you are dealing with..." she muttered, pulling out her gun. 

"There are forces in this world..." she said, with a crooked, bitter grin. 

Down in the dark, she had finally taken off her sunglasses. Her left eye had a horrible livid scar painted round it. Not blinded, but a scar that marred her otherwise beautiful face, forcing her eyelid half shut and distorting her features. It would not have looked good in any light, but the dim shadows cast by Goodman's flashlight made it look like a B-horror movie. 

"No wonder you shut this place down, sucker" she said to Goodman. "But my friends here are right. You are in way over your head...."

The voices ahead had stopped, and a there was a soft howling, a cold breeze...

Marcus's expression when the word 'armor' was mentioned went blank.

...nah, it couldn't be...

Rage washed over him. More than anything, he was angry at himself for being so stupid. Marcus knew what they had found--he had, after all, been the one to discard it. He tried to neutralize it, tried to seal it... One day he tossed it and didn't think anything of it afterward. He wasn't sure what he was thinking when he did it. There had been so much going on at the time that he'd forgotten all about it.

Before he could say anything about it, Amy spoke up; from there, the situation rapidly began to deteriorate. The prodding of the Beast Rune became a dull, constant throbbing in his head as he turned to face her. Marcus's gaze turned to Goodman and Lucy for a brief moment; he almost looked apologetic.

"...this is about to get weird. Just warning you."

From there, the Beast Rune flared to life on his back, filling its host with magical energy. Thankfully, most of his transformation was cloaked in darkness, but it was hard to miss the flashes of eldritch light lancing off of his ever-growing form.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucy eye’s worked perfectly in this light and she got to witness Arcturus’s transformation in all it’s glory. It still amazed her that thing like this didn't bother her in the slightest. Still something was wrong and it was time for her to get to the bottom of things.

“You stay here I can’t get hurt you can, we’ll deal with this.†she gestured to the Detective even if the woman couldn’t see her.

Then with a remarkable burst of speed she was in the chamber scanning the place for potential trouble. Seeing the two wielding the chainsaw as the biggest problem to the others she made her way over to them ready to strike them down.

GM

The Chainsaw fell to the floor, kicking up dirt and earth, and not stopping. The furious buzzing echoes round the small cave in a deafening roar. As the cultist fell to the floor, he was saved from a nasty accident with his weapon - the chainsaw was not off, but managed to propel itself across the floor of the cave to hit the opposite wall where it continued its feast of earth. 

Everyone stopped for one second, as if checking they still had the same number of toes. 

Detective Chance had entered, and drawn her odd looking antique gun. 

"Who the hell are these guys?" she yelled at Goodman, who stood there with his flashlight peering inquisitively into the darkness. 

The lead cultist tore of his hood. He was a red head, with a furious goatee and high cheekbones, thin but handsome. As he spoke his features changed slightly, with a lengthening of his canines and blackened, slitted eyes. 

"The Cult of the Beast!" he roared. "And we have found what we were looking for. It is ours! ours!" he snapped, before leaping at Revenant with a burst of speed and sending his teeth into her neck...

At first, shifting seemed like a bad idea--he hadn't considered it fully, and suddenly he felt a lot more cramped. The sound of revving chainsaws didn't exactly help, either. Marcus quickly realized, however, that he wasn't going to be able to see without his bear senses.

Marcus swung his hand and his palm slammed against the side of the tunnel, the Earth rune glowing bright yellow against the back of his hand. His claws dug into the wall and yellow lines streaked across the tunnel wall, bursting outward in the form of a giant hand aimed to grab the newly transformed cult leader.

GM

In the dim light of Goodman's flashlight and the weak lighting the cultists had erected around the cave, it was rather hard to see the fist of stone, but an impressive sight it was anyway. 

The wolfman leader was also impressed but its power - the stone fist closing around him resolutely before he could lead away. 

"What's this?" he yelled. "What new mastery of the beast has the wearer devised?" he complained, struggling vainly. 

In response to the magical force of Arcturus, the armour in the centre of the cave clinked, and moved. 

And flared. Burning a deep red in response to the carved wooden emblem, a Native American Artifact, that was placed by its side, and which fed the armour a burst of power. 

In a jolt, combined with the most awful clattering of metal, the armour sprang up into the form of a huge man, as big as Arcturus. Its insides were empty, and only dull red eyes flaring in its empty helm gave any indication of the ferocious power that was chained inside it. 

"But I do thank you for providing that extra spark we needed!" smiled the Cult leader. "You have met Gauntlet, have you not? Our greatest weapon. Perhaps one that can dissect exactly what power you used with this stone. And I do mean...dissect...." he said ominously. 

As if to make a point, the cultists sprang into action, galvanised by their success. Bullets sang out and a chainsaw whipped past Revenants ear, the noise almost unbearable in the small cave.