The Morrigan - Paradox - PL10 Hero

Wow... apparently in the 25 years since I graduated college I have completely and utterly forgotten how to do math.

A few responses:

1] Dimensional Travel = Super-Movement: Dimensional Movement, One Other Dimension (Faerie*), 2 Points

==> assumes Faerie is a dimension.

2] Regarding Alt powers... I thought the cost for the AP (1) or DAP (2) was not counted against the pool of base points? Likewise for feats applied to the satellite powers?

3] I'll fix the Saves and Ranges; "Cut & Paste" is a dangerous power... :-)

4] The Rank of Faerie Glamour should be 5, not 15.

I'll fix, reswizzle and repost, sans background stuff.

As an aside, thank you for a thorough and careful review of my submission, Barnum.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... apparently in the 25 years since I graduated college I have completely and utterly forgotten how to do math.

A few responses:

1] Dimensional Travel = Super-Movement: Dimensional Movement, One Other Dimension (Faerie*), 2 Points

2] Regarding Alt powers... I thought the cost for the AP (1) or DAP (2) was not counted against the pool of base points? Likewise for feats applied to the satellite powers?

3] I'll fix the Saves and Ranges; "Cut & Paste" is a dangerous power... :-)

4] The Rank of Faerie Glamour should be 5, not 15.

I'll fix, reswizzle and repost, sans background stuff.

As an aside, thank you for a thorough and careful review of my submission, Barnum.

This is what I have found..............

Abilities: 16

Combat: 0

Saves: 0

Skills: 12

Feats: 5

Powers: 113

Drawbacks: 0

-total: [150]- 146

1] Dimensional travel isn’t a normal feat. So it doesn’t count in that area.

2] She fell asleep and gained powers? How did she actually get the powers?

3] After she gained powers she didn’t need sleep, but yet she had “haunting†dreams?

4] The door opened before knocking hard [by itself?] and she ducked her head [why? Did something fly at her]

-AF: 1-

Combat: 16

Saves: 6

Skills: 0

Feats: 3

Powers: 43, 10, 12, 1 = 66

-total: [110]-107

-AF: 2-

Combat: 12

Saves: 9

Feats: 1

Powers: 15, 4, 18, 15, 4, 1 = 57

Drawbacks:

-total: [110]- 95

1] Cacophony (Audio Illusion) 2/Rank Rank=2 Points=2 [This should be 4 not 2]

2] Confuse in the UP book is 1 per rank, then you have a +1 [making 2 per rank] so it should be 12 points not 18.

-AF: 3-

Combat: 20

Saves: 3

Feats: 2

Powers: 21, 10, 20, 5, 6, 1, 2, 5, = 70

Drawbacks:

-total: [110]- 111

3] After she gained powers she didn’t need sleep, but yet she had “haunting†dreams?

4] The door opened before knocking hard [by itself?] and she ducked her head [why? Did something fly at her]

Drawbacks:

2] Confuse in the UP book is 1 per rank, then you have a +1 [making 2 per rank] so it should be 12 points not 18.

Drawbacks:

Drawbacks:

Drawbacks:

Got it. If you would, list that with your powers instead to eliminate confusion.

Regarding Alt powers... I thought the cost for the AP (1) or DAP (2) was not counted against the pool of base points? Likewise for feats applied to the satellite powers?

-The total points available to an array are the PPs of the base power not including any Alternate Power feats. So . . Blast 12 [Power Feats: Accurate, Alternate Powers 2], would be counted as 25 PPs (12 ranks x 2 PPs per rank + 1 feat (accurate)). So any alternate powers could not exceed 25 PPs total.

-The cost of a power in an array is its total cost (points per rank x number of ranks + all associated feats – any power drawbacks).

Got it. If you would, list that with your powers instead to eliminate confusion.

Regarding Alt powers... I thought the cost for the AP (1) or DAP (2) was not counted against the pool of base points? Likewise for feats applied to the satellite powers?

-The total points available to an array are the PPs of the base power not including any Alternate Power feats. So . . Blast 12 [Power Feats: Accurate, Alternate Powers 2], would be counted as 25 PPs (12 ranks x 2 PPs per rank + 1 feat (accurate)). So any alternate powers could not exceed 25 PPs total.

-The cost of a power in an array is its total cost (points per rank x number of ranks + all associated feats – any power drawbacks).

OK, I've made several significant revisions:

1] Reduced the Alternate Form strengths to 70 PPs each;

2] Rolled many of the feats, stats and saves to the base character;

3] Eliminated the middle form. I had a sudden attack of, "Why make things more complicated?"

4] Revised Array Powers. (Thank you for clarifying how they work!)

5] Made minor modifications to power sets, enhancements, etc.

The Morrigan

Maureen O’Connor

Stats

Str:10 +0 0

Dex:18 +4 8

Con:20 +5 10

Int:16 +3 6

Wis:14 +2 4

Cha:14 +2 4

(Total Stats = 32)

Traits

BAB: +0

BDB: +4 (8)

Initiative: +1

Saves:

Toughness: +5 (+5[stat] +0[save Buy-up] +0[Powers])

Fortitude: +5 (+5[stat] +4[save Buy-up] +0[Powers])

Reflex: +4 (+4[stat] +4[save Buy-up] +0[Powers])

Will: +2 (+2[stat] +7[save Buy-up] +0[Powers])

(Total Traits = 23 [+4BDB (8), +4 Fort Save, +4 Reflex Save, +7 Will Save)

Skills:

Computers 4 +3 7

Concentration 6 +1 7

Craft:Flower Arranging 4 +3 7

Knowledge: Irish Myth 12 +3 15

Languages: Celtic, Latin 2

Profession: Author 12 +3 15

Profession: Gardening 8 +3 17

(Total Skills=12 [48/4])

Feats:

Eidetic Memory 1

Status 1

Wealth, x3 3

Attractive x1 1

Move-By Action 1

(Total Feats = 7)

Powers:

Alternate Form 5/Rank Rank=22 Points=70

1] Titania, Queen of Light Points=0 (Base Form)

2] Medb, Queen of Darkness Points=1 (AP)

Plant Control 2/Rank Rank=1 Points=2

2/Rank (Base=2, -1 Growth Only, +1 Subtle)

Immunity: Need for Sleep Points=1

Super-Movement: Dimensional Travel: Faerie Points=2

Point Totals:

Stats: 32

Traits: 23

Feats: 7

Powers: 76

Total: 150

Description:

Maureen Fitzgerald is a physically unremarkable 44-year old widow. She is of average height, auburn hair and green eyes, with a heart-shaped face, dimples, and a few extra pounds with which she seems particularly unconcerned. She dresses as an academic, in jeans, tweeds, and autumn colors, and well-worn leather flats.

Her husband of 23 years died suddenly in an accident skiing a few years ago. Financially secure as an author of Medieval Irish Fantasy and a renowned expert on Irish mythology, she travels the world, lecturing and promoting her books in the popular “Herne the Hunter†series.

One evening, she happened to be reading Spenser’s “The Faerie Queen†and drifted off to sleep amidst the stories of the faeries. When she awoke, the book was still in her lap, yet somehow, things were different. Over time, she learned that she no longer required sleep, and that plants flourished around her, to the point where local magazines started to ask for interviews. She also found that she could cross into the Realm of the Fae.

While Under Hill one day, she was walking along a path, as summer turned to autumn, and then to early winter, a cold breeze blowing dead leaves of an unknown tree around her feet, when she happened upon a cottage, lit from the inside by the cheery glow of a warm fire, wispy smoke rising from the chimney. The door opened in advance of her knocking hand, and she ducked her head, and moved in to sit next to the old woman tending the fire, and accepted the cup of warm, spiced mead that was handed to her.

As she met the eyes of the old woman, she saw battles, and history, and madness, and beauty, and life and death, and a world in trouble.

“You are my messenger.†The old woman said. “Take this gift, and use my strength to combat the growing darkness, and keep the old ways alive.†And the hut was gone, and the old woman was gone, and the path led back into summer, and the sunlight. But she knew what she had to do.

When she returned to Freedom City, she had been gifted with the power to transform by the old woman in the cottage, and her body and mind had been reshaped in order that she might accomplish the task set for her. Gone were the “few extra pounds†of middle-age, replaced by a lean, gymnast’s body. Since none of her clothes fit, Maureen was forced to re-outfit herself, but she decided to change her look substantially, eschewing the muted tones of autumn for the bolder colors of summer.

Alternative Form #1: Titania, Queen of Light

Description: Titania, Queen of Light, is a short, slight, beautiful young woman with lots of curly blond hair bound with a crown of gold, green eyes, with an impish grin and the wings of a butterfly. She has dominion over the powers of light, and her magic is colorful, and brings remembrance of leprechauns, and the promise of the first kiss of youth. To know her is to love her, but beware the sting of love unreturned. She carries a staff of rowan, and wears a white dress with gold.

Feats:

Attack Specialization: Blast +10 Points=5

Powers:

Light Control 2/Rank Rank=20 Points=40

1] Midsummer (Light Control) Rank=20* Points=0 (Base Power)

*Functionally capped well-below 2.5 million mile radius.

2] Thunderous Rainbow (Blast) Rank=9 Points=1 (AP)

4/Rank (Base=2, +1 Area Effect: Burst; +1 Selective); Range=Ranged, Save=Toughness

Feat: Affects Insubstantial, Homing Points=0 (Feat)

Titania can generate a blast of rainbow energy, affecting enemies in a 100’ radius.

(Point Allocation= 36 (Rank 9 Power) + 2 Feats = 38.

3] Spray of Butterflies (Dazzle) Rank=9 Points=1 (AP)

4/Rank (Base=2, +1 Area Effect: Trail; +1 Selective); Range=Personal, Save=NA,

Feat: Affects Insubstantial Points=0 (Feat)

Titania, while flying, generates a trail of beautiful butterflies, which confound the senses (sight) of those affected.

(Point Allocation= 36 (Rank 9 Power) + 1 Feat = 37.

4] Faerie’s Kiss (Healing) Rank=10 Points=1 (AP)

4/Rank (Base=2; +1 Energizing +1 Resurrection); Range=Touch, Save=NA

Titania can kiss someone, living or (recently) dead and cure them.

Beltane’s Mantle (Force Field) 1/Rank Rank=5 Points=5

Base=1/Rank, +0 Linked, Range=Personal, Save=NA

Titania’s armor is golden chainmail, interwoven with flowers.

Emotion Control 1/Rank Rank=5 Points=5

Faerie Glamour (Emotion Control)

1/Rank (Base=2, -1 Love Only, -2 Ranged (Perception to Touch), -1 Limitation: Men Only, +1 Subtle, +1 Continuous (Lasting), +1 Aura, Save=Will

Any man who touches or is touched by Titania falls in love with her.

Flight 2/Rank Rank=5 Points=10

2/Rank (No Mods), Range=Personal, Speed=500 MPH

Feat: Precise Points=1 (Feat)

Morph 1/Rank Rank=1 Points=1

This power allows Titania to look like Titania.

(Total Power Points=65)

Point Totals:

Powers: 65

Total: 70

Alternative Form #3: Medb, Queen of Darkness

Medb, Queen of Darkness, is a beautiful, obsidian-haired woman with glittering green eyes, dressed in black with highlights of cold blue and silver. Her sword is the thin stuff of nightmares, her armor midnight, and her expression sad, yet determined. She holds dominion over the air, and the darkness, and the fear that grips the hearts of men as they face their own, inevitable death.

Feats:

Attack Specialization: Strike +10 Points=5

Powers:

Nightmare Weapon (Strike) 1/Rank Rank=10 Points=10

Base=1, +0 Linked, Range=Touch, Save=NA

Feat: Affects Insubstantial Points=1 (Feat)

Medb wields a nightmare blade of black metal, wreathed in black flames, inset with silver runes in the ancient language of faerie.

Entropy’s Touch (Corrosion) 3/Rank Rank=5 Points=15

3/Rank, +0 Linked to Strike, Range=Touch

Dread (Emotion Control) .5/Rank Rank=10 Points=5

.5/Rank (Base=2, -1 Fear Only, -2 Ranged (Touch), +1 Aura, +0 Linked, Save=Will

Anyone who touches or is touched by Mebd or Mebd’s weapon runs screaming.

Dark Shield (Shield) 1/Rank Rank=10 Points=10

Base=1/Rank, +0 Linked; Range=Personal, Save=NA

Mebd carries a shield, round with sharp spikes of black metal, without device.

Armor of Souls (Force Field) 1/Rank Rank=5 Points=5

Medb’s armor is black chainmail, inlaid with silver skulls.

Speed 1/Rank Rank=7 Points=7

2/Rank (No Mods), Range=Personal, Speed=50 MPH

Airwalking Points=2

This power allows Medb to look like Medb.

Darkvision Points=2

Regeneration 1/Rank Rank=7 Points=7

Recovery Rate: Bruised 1 Rank-One Round), Injured 6 Ranks-One Round, No Rest

(Total Power Points=65)

Point Totals:

Total for Medb 70

3] Eliminated the middle form. I had a sudden attack of, "Why make things more complicated?"

The Morrigan

Maureen O’Connor

Stats

(Total Stats = 32)

Traits

Saves:

Skills:

Computers 4 +3 7

Concentration 6 +1 7

(Total Skills=12 [48/4])

Feats:

Eidetic Memory 1

Status 1

Wealth, x3 3

Attractive x1 1

Move-By Action 1

(Total Feats = 7)

Powers:

Point Totals:

Description:

Maureen Fitzgerald is a physically unremarkable 44-year old widow. She is of average height, auburn hair and green eyes, with a heart-shaped face, dimples, and a few extra pounds with which she seems particularly unconcerned. She dresses as an academic, in jeans, tweeds, and autumn colors, and well-worn leather flats.

Her husband of 23 years died suddenly in an accident skiing a few years ago. Financially secure as an author of Medieval Irish Fantasy and a renowned expert on Irish mythology, she travels the world, lecturing and promoting her books in the popular “Herne the Hunter†series.

One evening, she happened to be reading Spenser’s “The Faerie Queen†and drifted off to sleep amidst the stories of the faeries. When she awoke, the book was still in her lap, yet somehow, things were different. Over time, she learned that she no longer required sleep, and that plants flourished around her, to the point where local magazines started to ask for interviews. She also found that she could cross into the Realm of the Fae.

While Under Hill one day, she was walking along a path, as summer turned to autumn, and then to early winter, a cold breeze blowing dead leaves of an unknown tree around her feet, when she happened upon a cottage, lit from the inside by the cheery glow of a warm fire, wispy smoke rising from the chimney. The door opened in advance of her knocking hand, and she ducked her head, and moved in to sit next to the old woman tending the fire, and accepted the cup of warm, spiced mead that was handed to her.

As she met the eyes of the old woman, she saw battles, and history, and madness, and beauty, and life and death, and a world in trouble.

“You are my messenger.†The old woman said. “Take this gift, and use my strength to combat the growing darkness, and keep the old ways alive.†And the hut was gone, and the old woman was gone, and the path led back into summer, and the sunlight. But she knew what she had to do.

When she returned to Freedom City, she had been gifted with the power to transform by the old woman in the cottage, and her body and mind had been reshaped in order that she might accomplish the task set for her. Gone were the “few extra pounds†of middle-age, replaced by a lean, gymnast’s body. Since none of her clothes fit, Maureen was forced to re-outfit herself, but she decided to change her look substantially, eschewing the muted tones of autumn for the bolder colors of summer.

Description: Titania, Queen of Light, is a short, slight, beautiful young woman with lots of curly blond hair bound with a crown of gold, green eyes, with an impish grin and the wings of a butterfly. She has dominion over the powers of light, and her magic is colorful, and brings remembrance of leprechauns, and the promise of the first kiss of youth. To know her is to love her, but beware the sting of love unreturned. She carries a staff of rowan, and wears a white dress with gold.

Feats:

Powers:

4/Rank (Base=2, +1 Area Effect: Burst; +1 Selective); Range=Ranged, Save=Toughness

Titania can generate a blast of rainbow energy, affecting enemies in a 100’ radius.

Titania, while flying, generates a trail of beautiful butterflies, which confound the senses (sight) of those affected.

1/Rank (Base=2, -1 Love Only, -2 Ranged (Perception to Touch), -1 Limitation: Men Only, +1 Subtle, +1 Continuous (Lasting), +1 Aura, Save=Will

(Total Power Points=65)

Point Totals:

Medb, Queen of Darkness, is a beautiful, obsidian-haired woman with glittering green eyes, dressed in black with highlights of cold blue and silver. Her sword is the thin stuff of nightmares, her armor midnight, and her expression sad, yet determined. She holds dominion over the air, and the darkness, and the fear that grips the hearts of men as they face their own, inevitable death.

Feats:

Powers:

Medb wields a nightmare blade of black metal, wreathed in black flames, inset with silver runes in the ancient language of faerie.

Airwalking Points=2

Darkvision Points=2

(Total Power Points=65)

Point Totals:

Total for Medb 70

The Morrigan

Maureen O’Connor

Stats

(Total Stats = 32)

Traits

Saves:

Skills:

Computers 4 +3 7

Concentration 6 +1 7

(Total Skills=12 [48/4])

Feats:

Eidetic Memory 1

Status 1

Wealth, x3 3

Attractive x1 1

Move-By Action 1

(Total Feats = 7)

Powers:

Point Totals:

Description:

Feats:

Powers:

(Total Power Points=65)

Point Totals:

Feats:

Powers:

Airwalking Points=2

Darkvision Points=2

(Total Power Points=65)

Point Totals:

Total for Medb 70

re-count....

Abilities: 32

Combat: 8

Saves: 15

Powers: 71, 2, 1, 2 = 76

-total: [150]- 150

1] Does she speak English? I counted 49 ranks until I thought that one of those languages might be your native tougne.

2] Your AF rank should be 14 to get 70 points.

Abilities: 0

Powers: 40, 3, 5, 5, 10, 1 = 64

-total: [70]- 69

Powers: 10, 15, 5, 10, 5, 7, 2, 1, 2, 7= 64

Drawbacks:

re-count....

1] Does she speak English? I counted 49 ranks until I thought that one of those languages might be your native tougne.

Drawbacks:

re-count....

Drawbacks:

Maureen O’Connor

PL/PPs: 10/150

Trade-offs: Attack/Save DC: +10/+10, Defense/Toughness: +10/+10

Cost: Ability 32 + Combat + 8 Saves + 15 Skills + 12 Feats + 7 Powers (71 + 2 + 1 + 2) (see note #1) - Drawbacks 0 = 150 PPs

1. I am assuming that . . .

. . . should be: Alternate Form 5/Rank Rank=14 Points=70

Cost: Ability 0 + Combat 0 + Saves 0 + Skills 0 + Feats 5 + Powers (43 + 5 + 5 + 11 + 1) 65 - Drawbacks 0 = 70 PPs

Thunderous Rainbow (Blast) Rank=9 Points=1 (AP)

Area Effects can't have the Homing power feat, because they do not require an attack roll.

Spray of Butterflies (Dazzle) Rank=9 Points=1 (AP)

The range for Dazzle is "Ranged" and the save is save is "Ref/Fort."

Which other power is the force field linked to?

Cost: Ability 0 + Combat 0 + Saves 0 + Skills 0 + Feats 5 + Powers (11 + 15 + 5 + 10 + 5 + 7 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 7) 65 - Drawbacks 0 = 70 PPs

Speed is only 1 PP per rank, so rank 7 Speed would be 1,000 MPH.

Other than that, you are all set. After you make these last few minor adjustments, I'm going to copy your final sheet over the one in the very first post and delete the other to eliminate confusion.

Maureen O’Connor

Cost: Ability 32 + Combat + 8 Saves + 15 Skills + 12 Feats + 7 Powers (71 + 2 + 1 + 2) (see note #1) - Drawbacks 0 = 150 PPs

Cost: Ability 0 + Combat 0 + Saves 0 + Skills 0 + Feats 5 + Powers (43 + 5 + 5 + 11 + 1) 65 - Drawbacks 0 = 70 PPs

Area Effects can't have the Homing power feat, because they do not require an attack roll.

Cost: Ability 0 + Combat 0 + Saves 0 + Skills 0 + Feats 5 + Powers (11 + 15 + 5 + 10 + 5 + 7 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 7) 65 - Drawbacks 0 = 70 PPs

Other than that, you are all set. After you make these last few minor adjustments, I'm going to copy your final sheet over the one in the very first post and delete the other to eliminate confusion.

Maureen O’Connor

I think I fixed the errors.

ps - does anyone know how to get docs to format correctly in a browser window? I used Courier typeface but all my tabs are completely off and I lost my nice neat columns.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Morrigan

Maureen O’Connor

Stats

Wis:12 +2 4

(Total Stats = 32)

Traits

Saves:

Skills:

Computers 4 +3 7

Concentration 6 +1 7

(Total Skills=12 [48/4])

Feats:

Eidetic Memory 1

Status 1

Wealth, x3 3

Attractive x1 1

Move-By Action 1

(Total Feats = 7)

Powers:

Alternate Form 5/Rank Rank=14 Points=70

Point Totals:

Description:

Feats:

Powers:

4/Rank (Base=2, +1 Area Effect: Burst; +1 Selective); Range=450’, Save=Toughness

Feat: Affects Insubstantial, Improved Range x2 Points=0 (Feat)

(Point Allocation= 36 (Rank 9 Power) + 3 Feats = 39.

4/Rank (Base=2, +1 Area Effect: Trail; +1 Selective); Range=450’, Save=Ref/Fort,

Base=1/Rank, Range=Personal, Save=NA

(Total Power Points=69)

Point Totals:

Alternative Form #2: Medb, Queen of Darkness

Feats:

Powers:

1/Rank (No Mods), Range=Personal, Speed=1000 MPH

Airwalking Points=2

Darkvision Points=2

(Total Power Points=65)

Point Totals:

Total for Medb 70

ps - does anyone know how to get docs to format correctly in a browser window? I used Courier typeface but all my tabs are completely off and I lost my nice neat columns.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Morrigan

Maureen O’Connor

Stats

(Total Stats = 32)

Traits

Saves:

Skills:

Computers 4 +3 7

Concentration 6 +1 7

(Total Skills=12 [48/4])

Feats:

Eidetic Memory 1

Status 1

Wealth, x3 3

Attractive x1 1

Move-By Action 1

(Total Feats = 7)

Powers:

Point Totals:

Description:

Feats:

Powers:

4/Rank (Base=2, +1 Area Effect: Burst; +1 Selective); Range=450’, Save=Toughness

4/Rank (Base=2, +1 Area Effect: Trail; +1 Selective); Range=450’, Save=Ref/Fort,

(Total Power Points=69)

Point Totals:

Feats:

Powers:

Airwalking Points=2

Darkvision Points=2

(Total Power Points=65)

Point Totals:

Total for Medb 70

The Morrigan

Maureen O’Connor

Stats

(Total Stats = 32)

Traits

Saves:

Skills:

Computers 4 +3 7

Concentration 6 +1 7

(Total Skills=12 [48/4])

Feats:

Eidetic Memory 1

Status 1

Wealth, x3 3

Attractive x1 1

Move-By Action 1

(Total Feats = 7)

Powers:

Point Totals:

Description:

Feats:

Powers:

(Total Power Points=69)

Point Totals:

Feats:

Powers:

Airwalking Points=2

Darkvision Points=2

(Total Power Points=65)

Point Totals:

Total for Medb 70