Gallia Renaître : Little Goth Lost (IC)

Rene contemplated his friends question for a moment, stroking his beard as he was wont to do in times of reflection. 

"Non, my friend, I fear not. I can paint marvels of illusion, light and color, but in feats of perception my eyes and ears are old" he said, pressing his fragile spectacles onto said eyes. 

"It is to your keener senses and mind that we must trust" he explained. 

"What I can do, however, is even ze playing field! We may not be able to recognise her, but our task will be doubly difficult if she can see us, standing out like ze sore thumb, ripe for own caution to propel her away!"

He took out his magic paintbrush, and with delicate movements from centuries of practice, painted a picture. 

Moments later, Rene and Marceau had vanished, and two heavily made up goths stood in their place. 

"What a ridiculous outfit!" sighed Rene "We may look ze part, but ze part is a horror to ze eyes!" he complained, his old accented voice coming out of a young, attractive and pale goth with a nose ring and half shaved head. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Examining the myriad of studded belts holding his outfit together, Marceau smiled fondly and shook his head. He looked like somebody doing costume play of Nick Cimitieré, whitened face and all done up in black leather, though the miniature supernova of his hair was a certain departure. "I am confident our soon-to-be fellows will agree, René! But we have our disguises on, and what splendid disguises they are. I am sure we shall pass wholly unremarked. So then, Detective Cooper," he said to Aaliyah with a bright smile, "what, in addition to your powers of deduction and skill with firearms, have you been allowed to help us with?"

"And we must of course not be too late for the con. Lead on, please!"

Aaliya looked first bemused by there sudden transformation, then thoughtful at SUbito’s question.

“Well a lot of them spend their time promenading or having a few brew down the pubs. There’s a bring and buy down at the Pavillion, but I doubt she’d come all this way for just that.â€

She pulled a flyer from one of her pocket’s and quickly scanned it’s contents.

“The best bet is the bands, that what many come here for, door open at 2pm but the band’s start at 5pm.  You wouldn’t believe most of the band’s listed here the only one vaguely sensible is Voltaire...â€

"Voltaire! Travesty!" said Rene, wheezing and clutching his chest in pain. 

"What is that sound I hear! Ah! Our poor philosopher is spinning in his grave! Pardon, Marceau, my friend, I am not sure my poor heart can stand the strain of a national treasure being desecrated by a cacophony of sound that deems itself as music!" he wept on the King of Suits leather jacket, his mascara leaking over his pale face. 

"But, for the sake of France, I must endure such agonies! Ah! France, how I must suffer for you!" he said, standing tall and making fist to breast. 

"Come, let us away! We may as well face our trials early, and see what we can find when the doors open!"

"Take heart my friend, take heart. He of all people would shun false piety." Marceau answered soothingly, patting the ancient painter on the back and doing his best not to grin(too widely at least). Wiping away some of the more enduring bits of illusory makeup, he nodded in agreement with René, commenting "At the least, we will not alert our quarr-grg...the possessoress on sight. I have often wanted to go dancing with people my own age too" he added, a note of wistfulness in his eyes and voice.

It was frequent, albeit cold consolation that he had given up so much of a normal life for the one he had now. One of lung-shredding chases, horrible revelations and bitter ends to countless stories. But René had sacrificed a great deal more, and he never complained.

Turning to the Detective he made a slight bow "If you would lead the way, Mz. Cooper!"

• 1 month later...

Sometime later at the Pavillion

Whilst the gathering was generally for Goth’s Whitby also drew the attention of other groups, including a small number of Steampunk fanatics. Though while both groups like nothing more than to dress up and show off their latest clobber there was nothing like the more extreme’s of Cosplay that you got among Sci-Fi and Super conventions. So the sight of some form of Steampunk armour towering over those searching for a bargain was drawing a few glances.

Ignoring everyone around them the hulking monstrosity seemed to scanning those entering, looking for something, or someone. Catching sight of the two French heroes, even in there disguised form the suit pointed a finger in there direction.

“YOU TWO THERE STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING.†the voice was heavily filtered but was definitely female and had a strong Lancastrian accent.

Ignoring everything in between them the striding colossus made straight for the pair, releasing a shower of black clothing and silver jewelry.

"Zut Alors!"

Rene was surprised. He knew his mystic ink was not flawless. But he was pretty pleased with the disguise - at least, in reference to its capacity to disguise. From an artistic point of view, he found the Goth scene a graveyard for art to die. 

No colours! He lamented. 

He turned, not too fast, or too slow, to face the steampunk armour. 

If in doubt, be polite. 

He gave a little bow, with a flourish of leg and arm. 

"We were only listening and looking, madam!" he replied. "Would you have us close are eyes, and jam finger in ear?" he said to the advancing machine. 

"I suspect that may not be agreeable. I dislike being trampled on be a giant iron boot! Perhaps, if desisting is on the menu, you could go first?"

Marceau hadn't been looking forward to the prospect of being surrounded by people about his age who voluntarily immersed themselves in imaginary miseries. What were you supposed to do? Feign total apathy for a few hours? Complain about how wonderful your life was?

So it was a welcome shock when the steampunk woman in the impressively detailed and realistic-looking suit of armor called them out and started bearing down on them.

"Hey love!" he called back, raising his hands in a placating gesture "What's the matter? We stepping out of line? Think I'm your boyfriend? We're just here for the con, you've got us confused with some other blokes!"

To say the least the young Frenchman wasn't up to date with his Britishisms, but at least the accent was fairly convincing, even if nothing else was to the steely eyes fast approaching. All the same, his eyes flicked about the hall, checking for relatively open spaces to lead this lady in iron towards if things took a turn for the violent.

The armoured woman looked thoughtful for a few seconds, as much as anyone could in a couple of tons of iron, brass and wood.

"AYE INNOCENT YOU MAY BE, BUT YOUR SHOWING UP AS HAVING AN MAGICAL ENCHANTMENT. AND NOT ONE OF THESE CHEAP TRINKETS BUT THE REAL THING."

She gestured to some silver jewelry, or various quality, that lay strewn at her feet.

"YER JUST GIVE THE OFFENDING ITEM AND I'LL LET YOU ON YOUR WAY. EVEN GIVE YOU IT BACK ONCE IT CUECKED."

Her general tone, and what passed for body language in an armoured suit, suggested that she was unlikely to take no for an answer.

Rene was impressed with both the power and artistry of the construct. 

"Why what perceptive eyes you have!" he said, open handedly. "I just have a few odd trinkets, nothing special..." he explained, pulling off his ring and pulling out his paintbrush. 

"I trust they will be in safe hands. I am not well inclined to theft, and neither are my belongings" he explained putting the two valuable artifacts in steel hands. 

"Unfortunately their potency will linger on us, such is the nature of these things. I can give you the source, but not the froth" he said, waving his hands about theatrically. 

He tapped his glasses. 

"And I suppose these things have a little of the sorcerous about them. Its just that without them, I can't see. Nothing magical about that. Just lenses. You wouldn't want a poor helpless man to stumble about blind, would you?" he asked. 

The armoured colossus gently took the items offered to her, but she still eyed the pair with not a little bit of suspicion.

“WELL WHAT YOU SAYING MAKE SOME SENSE, BUT I’VE GOT TO BE SURE.â€

With a surprising gentleness for such a mighty looking suit of powered aromour the Lancaster Witch put the precious magical items on one of the few remaining trestle table near the three of them, Then she looked back at Rene.

“GIVE ME THE GLASSES. AT LEAST FOR A FEW MINUTES. IF NOTHING HAPPENS YOU CAN ‘AVE BACK YOU STUFF AND GO ON YOUR WAY.â€

Stepping forward, Gothic Marceau made a placating gesture to the guard "Oh, come on! What harm can a pair of glasses do? He isn't going to start stabbing people with them, or sinking us into the inky void" Putting an arm around the old painter's shoulders he went on imploringly, with an eye on the nearby crowd "He's just here to have a good time, we all are. Look, if it becomes a problem, you can just lay it on me, I'll make sure he keeps himself in check, aye? We won't cause any problems while we're here, we're cool."

His white-streaked face was utterly grave and hopeful "Come on, miss, have a heart. Glasses won't make for any kind of trouble."

There was a slight pause and the Witch straightened up to her full height, being a good meter taller (about 2ft) taller than either of them. Thin whiffs of steam escaped for whatever boiler that was fuelling this steam powered wonder. It looked for a few seconds that she would would react violently but instead she spoke in a quieter, for her, voice.

“LOOK I’M JUST HERE TO DO THE JOB I’VE BEEN PAID FOR, I DON’T WANT ANY PROBLEMS. ALL HE HAS TO DO IS GIVE ME THE GLASSES FOR A MINUTE OR TWO AND THEN YOU CAN HAPPILY GO ON YOUR WAY.â€

Rene sighed, and took of his glasses, squinting. It would be a devil of a job reading anything without them. Partly because those fabulous glasses translated any text to the eye of the wearer. Partly because, well, hell, they were his glasses, and he was old. 

He folded them up, neatly and carefully, and pressed them into the hand of the Steam powered giant. 

"Careful, they are quite fragile" he said, smiling at the thing. 

"But what, prey tell, is someone like you doing wandering this place and looking for sorcerous sundries? I have seen some marvels in my time, but a steam powered patrol for magic spectacles is novel, to say the least!" he asked, as politely as possible. 

"Please do me the courtesy of a story! I have been dutifully courteous to your request, madam!" he said with a low and extravagant bow. 

The woman place the glasses as carefully as she could on the table beside the rest of Rene’s magic items.

“AYE WELL WE’VE GOT A COUPLE OF MINUTE SO WE MIGHT HAVE WELL. THIS IS AN HONEST TO GOOD HEIRLOOM, THE LANCASTER WITCH.†she gave an exaggerated bow.

“BUILT IN THE 19TH CENTURY, SOME SAY STEVENSON BUILT IT HIMSELF FOR ‘T FAMILY.†even through the amplification the pride shone out.  â€œBUT IT NOT EXACTLY CHEAP TO KEEP RUNNING, YOU CAN PICK UP PARTS AT WICKES, SO I GOT TO DO A LITTLE WORK ON THE SIDE. NO REAL VILLANRY JUST HELPING PEOPLE OUT, AND NOT ALL ON ‘T LEVEL. SO WHEN THIS FRENCH TART OFFER ME SO MAJOR DOSH TO LOOK FOR SOME GOTH KID... WHO AM I TO REFUSE? BESIDE THEY REALLY SEEM TO DIG THE ARMOUR.â€

French Tart?

Well, it was as good as any description. 

"I see, most enlightening!" said Rene, giving another, deeper, bow. He had reassured himself, anyway, that the armour was not exactly hostile. 

"The Lancaster Witch, is it? Fascinating, I would not have thought a witch would embroil herself so deeply in the spoils of industralisation" he commented, tapping the armour in a friendly way. 

"But even more of a curious nature is this French Tart, as you say. She must have mighty powers of divination. I don't suppose you could tell us a little of her, or where she went? I am always rather disposed to French Tarts. Well, the culinary kind. Although I understand my friend here likes the more fleshly variety, hmmm huff?" he chuckled, giving Marceau a jovial knee in what he hoped was a manly joke. 

He added a wink for good measure. He had always liked the Carry on films, with their unpretentious clarity. Sid James was brought from memory to supply inspiration. 

“WELL YOU SEE IT WERE NAMED AFTER ‘T TRAIN, BUILT BEFORE THE ROCKET.SOME SAY STEVENSON BUILT IT, OTHER THAT IT WAS BUILT BY ‘T FAMILY. AIN’T MUCH MAGIC HERE JUST STEAM AND ENGINEERING.â€

To illustrate the point she thumped the breastplate of the suit with her fist.

“I SAY THIS ‘BOUT YOU GOTHS YOU AIN’T HALF GOT A GOOD SENSE OF HUMOUR.†she gave a little chuckle, or it would be if her voice wasn’t so amplified.

“BUT YOU KNOW I CAN’T SAY NOWT ABOUT MY EMPLOYER, I’M A PROFESSIONAL AFTER ALL.†even with the amplified voice she sounded slightly hurt.

"Of course madam" replied Rene "I wouldn't dare press you for a name, or twist your professionalism. You are doing a grand old job, in T' Armour" he added, unconsciously taking delight in t' accent. 

"And in impressive set of bolts it is too, madam. I am no engineer but it looks splendid, magnificent! A sort of cubist, futurist mentality to its movements. Not my taste normally, but it does have a dynamic presentation"

He brought himself to his concern.

"But, see here, I wont press you on your employers name" I can guess who she is "but what exactly are you paid to do? I do not fancy getting trampled under those iron feet for some infraction that I had no forewarning of!"

"Sadly, that is quite impossible. Infrastructural obstacles, Rene!" laughed Marceau, relaxing as the two seemed to hit it off fairly well despite the start of the encounter. He was used to people being untrusting of others, and this sudden amiability was as unexpected as it was pleasant. Besides, it seemed she knew something about their mutual acquaintance, and the old painter certainly didn't seem to need much help to get her talking.

Admiring the suit of armor and watching out for anyone who seemed to resemble the woman he'd seen on the closed circuit were both simple enough, though the milling crowd had mostly passed into the con building anyway. Most people seemed to favor the classical Italian or German styles of armor when they built battlesuits, yet, to the young man's eye, this one seemed to have a style all its own, calling to mind more the powerful steam battleships of yesteryear than a medieval knight, with more than a little in common with steam engines. It struck him suddenly that it was already centuries since either had been in wide use, and he wondered if someday they would seem as remote as the mounted warriors of old.

At Rene's question about just what the Lancaster Witch had been asked to do, he quickly shook himself out of the reverie and leaned closer "Yes, what are you looking out for? Just people with magical stuff?"

• 3 weeks later...

There was a pause, possibly whilst the woman considered her options, before she spoke again.

“I SUPPOSE IT WOULDN’T HURT TO TELL YOU THE BASIC, SOUND LIKE IT WOULD BE YOUR KIND OF THING ANYHOW. SEEMS THERE SOME MAGICAL BEAST RUNNING ABOUT HIDING AWAY FOR SOME REASON. I WAS HIRED TO TRACK HIM OR HER, THOUGH SHE WAS INSISTENT THAT IT WOULD BE A HER, AND IF POSSIBLE RESTRAIN HER OR AT LEAST DRIVE THEM OUTSIDE. SHE GOT SOME MORE OF USE LOT WAITING OUTSIDE.†there was a hint of disgust or at least dislike in her voice.

“I MIGHT NOT BE A HERO RIGHT NOW, A SUIT LIKE THIS IS HARD TO KEEP RUNNING IN TIMES LIKE THIS, BUT I LEAST HAVE PRINCIPLE UNLIKE THAT LOT OUT THERE. THERE JUST THUG PURE AND SIMPLE.â€

"A beast?" said Rene, warming to the steel-clad woman. 

"Well, I shall certainly be on the look out for a magical beast!" he beamed, before clicking his fingers and putting them into a contemplative stroke of his white goatee. He tapped the floor with his shoe for effect. 

"But wait! My spectacles! Ze lenses are a most wonderful grind of glass, you see. With them on, the wearer can divine all sorts of magical aura's and enchantments. Ah! Alas and woe that you have them. For now, I am as blind as ze bat! Literally, as well as to the more esoteric arcane. I cannot read without them!" he complained. 

"Say, madame. Perhaps we should meet with ze...French Tart....as you said. If you could assure us of our safety with such a meeting? I would hardly like your mighty Iron fists in my fragile bones. Nor indeed would I much care to be transformed into a mouse or cursed with a pox!"

• 2 months later...

“WAIT WHAT?... OH RIGHT.†she gently picked up the glasses with amazing delicacy for something so large,  and passed them back to Rene.

“YOU’VE NOT DONE ANYTHING SUSPICIOUS SO I’VE NO REASON TO DETAIN YOU. HAVE A NICE DAY. IF THAT’S YOUR KIND OF THING.â€

The massive bulk of Lancaster Witch’s armour stepped to one side and swept out her arm in motion upsetting the last remaining display in the area. It was possible she was causing part of this destruction on purpose.

“I BETTER GO CONTACT THE BOSS, PLACES TO GO PEOPLE TO SCAN.â€

"Well zat was an unfortunate turn of events. Although I rather take ze fancy to ze Witch, I am now quite disarmed" he said, unnerved. Without his ring his flesh was old and vulnerable. 

"We, well, that is, I, must take the greatest of care. For today, I am literally a helpless old man. I would not like to meet my death quite yet" he smiled at Marceau. 

"A good thing I have you as my bodyguard, heh?" he said more cheerily, slapping Marceau on the back on putting his spectacles on top of his nose. 

"So, now we must find ze French Tart and see what she has to say, oui?" he said, scratching his white beard. 

"I am sure your eyes are better than mine, even with my glasses. Let us solider on!" he finished, marching through the crowds. 

"What? Now you are a helpless old man? But my friend, does that mean all those other times you said it...were fibs?" Marceau looked momentarily aghast before chuckling and lightly returning the backslap "Rene, you naughty fellow. I'll keep eyes on the back of my head to keep anyone from creeping up on us. Especially anyone matching the description of le patrisserie francais."

Following close behind the ancient artist, he scanned the crowd ceaselessly for any sign of their quarry, a smile of unfeigned cheerfulness on his face as he passed deftly through the teaming press of Goths.  

• 2 weeks later...

The room was still a mess from Lancaster Witch’s passage though thing were returning to something resembling normal, they were a fairly resilient lot us to the strange and unusual superheroes and villains were just something that you just dealt with. Even the sight of the Witch still striding around the room didn’t seem to register as strange anymore.

But there something slightly amiss in the room, as if something or someone was missing that they had just missed someone who had been there just a moment before. And for Rene just the slightest hint of something familiar as if he seen them before...