GM

El Heraldo was flying. That in and of itself wasn't too odd, bur he was flying high enough in the air that all he could see were clouds. A moment later he flew out of the cloud bank, looked down, and realized he was miles above the ground, and moving fast! All he could see below him was a lonely line of highway paralleling a ribbon of coastline. A quick fly-by confirmed that he was heading south -- and in South Carolina! Why in the world would he be flying so high and so fast due south?

because

because

because

He had been sitting with Cerys in the common room in the dorms, theoretically studying but in fact cuddling like, well, like a couple of teenagers. The big TV had been on and tuned to CNN, but it wasn't he heard "attack on the Caribbean islands," that he paid it any attention. Frightening images of troops in strange armor marching out of the accompanied running commentary on "a surprise Atlantean invasion of the Caribbean, under the claim of eminent domain." A particularly chilling moment was a native reporter, his face streaked with smoke, huddling in a building and speaking about "the siege of San Juan."

Which wad why El Heraldo, the Herald of Victory and defender of Puerto Rico, was heading home.

Edited by Raveled

El Heraldo felt anxiety gnaw away at him as the land curved far below, and the vast Caribbean approached mile by slow mile. He had left as fast as he could, an attack like this meant there was no time to waste!

Flying at top speed sent the wind roaring in his superpowered hearing. He slammed through clouds like gray ramparts and soared past fluffy white islands. At any other time he would have noticed them. The languid beauty of flight was replaced by a cold mechanism hurling him to where he needed to be. The cold high air that rustled his resplendent costume and streamed the magnificent Banner in his hand out behind him was impossible for him to feel anyway, but he paid it even less attention than usual.

For a moment, as the patriotic paragon angled his flight to match the far-off rocks whose pattern he knew by heart, he wondered why the world around him felt so vague, so unreal...and scowled. The answer was obvious! Atlanteans were attacking the lands of his birth and might, storming the capital! Who wouldn't feel like the world was wrong? Shaking his head vigorously, he suddenly felt the hat on his head, stroked the brim and then evaporated it to gold mist. It wouldn't help him do his heroic duty, and now was the time for heroes! "I'll save you all. I'll stop them!" he whispered, doing his best to ignore the contemptuous whispers. Save them? Not if the Atlanteans use tactics, brute. Not if you're so weak. Not if you're so slow... 

El Heraldo flew on bareheaded, and soon he left land behind and started flying over open water. Not long after that, he was surrounded by ocean on all sides. Off in the distance he noticed something glittering in the sky; as he flew on it got bigger and separated into two. Even as the two things approached it was hard to make them out. It looked like glass-blown orbs, but three or four meters across and with a man seated inside! It didn't take long for Heraldo to realize that the men seated inside these devices were wearing the same armor as the Atlantean invaders on CNN.

Just as he realized he was looking at the Atlantean equivalent of an air force, an imperious voice spoke in his mind. "You are entering Atlantean air space," it said. "Land and be searched or depart immediately. There will be no second warning."

Heraldo slid to a mid-air halt for several seconds, observing the two spheres in front of him and the soldiers inside. Sheathing the Bandera with a sharp clik, he narrowed his eyes 'Thanks for the warning. Now get out of my way!' he mentally barked, darting past them in a golden streak! The sunlight lancing down through the mountainous sea clouds gave the whole thing a feeling of...meaning, purpose! "This is what I was chosen for!" he laughed aloud.

He set off in a straight line for a few seconds, then dove backwards, whirling around as he clenched his fist, slamming into the Atlantean craft's shell with a thunderous crash! 'Surrender, or I'll send you both swimming back to your masters! I'm coming to stop you all!'

Heraldo's fist cracked the glass canopy and sent the Atlantean war-craft spiraling in towards the ocean. The other broke flight path and looped around, before arrowing in towards Heraldo. Lightning crackled and spat around him as the magical flying craft unleashed a barrage of mystic energy at the paragon, but none struck home. War was certainly joined between Atlantis and the Hero of Puerto Rico, though.

Blocking one sizzling blast of arcane power that got a bit too close with his Bandera, Heraldo's eyes burned gold. 'You're going with him'

Rocketing above the air-sphere, the Herald of Victory poised himself, aiming with the Bandera like a lance as he slammed down into the shield! His attack wasn't meant to overwhelm the ship's defenses, but crack it at a crucial point! It struck home with a thunderous crash, the flagpole impacting right above the soldier's head!

Briefly, he wondered why he couldn't see the man's face...

• 1 month later...

GM

The flagpole hit the flying crystal orb, and for a moment the Atlantean aircraft and the Caribbean paragon were evenly matched. Only for a moment, though; a moment later the crystal cracked, and spider-webbed, and shattered into so many shards it almost seemed to disintegrate into dust. El Heraldo saw the shocked expression on the pilot's face, saw him plummet through the air, and then saw him turn and straighten out and dive into the ocean with barely a ripple.

The paragon's sense of duty drew him onward, over the islands as he raced for Puerto Rico. He was over Cuba when he glanced down and saw men in military fatigues fleeing through rows of tobacco plants. A quick glance confirmed that there were a line of warriors advancing on the farm, in scalloped gold and silk armor, in a style very similar to what the pilots had been wearing. The Atlantean soldiers were all wielding pikes of some kind, and they leveled them towards the fleeing Cubans. Amazingly, fire burst from the tips of them, quickly engulfing the first few rows of plants, and leaping towards the fleeing men!

Edited by Raveled

Watching the Atlantean vessel burst asunder under him, Heraldo's eyes briefly met the soldier's. Just for a moment, time seemed to stand still, and he saw something horribly familiar in the Atlantean's gaze, something that reminded him of a night years ago when he had first seen the Blue Dame...

Tearing his gaze away before whatever it was became real, he heard the man fall, sailing through the air, and looking back breathed a sigh of relief without meaning to when he saw the Atlantean vanish deftly into the water. He stiffened as he remembered "They are the enemy, they're trying to kill us, I have to stop them." turning on his empowered heel, he shot off in a flash of gold, soaring over the sea, following the islands to Puerto Rico. The distances were weird though, he couldn't figure out why everything was so close.

Racing over Cuba and catching sight of the danger below, he instantly changed course to swoop to the ground, taking in a massive breath as he descended that he let loose with a furious shout as he touched down, a mighty gust of wind slamming into the approaching forest fire like a solid wall!

As the last of it left his lips, he half-turned and shouted at the soldiers <"Come, brothers of Cuba! Together we shall defeat the invaders from the sea!">

'I hope...'' he thought, turning back to the marching ranks of Atlantis' army, the Banner ready in his hand.

Edited by Arichamus
  • 2 weeks later...

GM

The arrival of the shining paragon caused a tangible shift in mood. Some of the soldiers continued to run, but most broke off and instead made for barns, or the farmhouse, and were soon in cover behind walls and wooden fences, pointing assault rifles at the Atlantean invaders.

The watery soldiers didn't seem inclined to venture into the fields. They spread out, forming a loose picket line, and trained their weapons on the Cuban soldiers. For a long minute, neither side moved or made a sound. Then, there was a shifting of the Atlantean line as a figure stepped out of the trees. This new man was dressed a bit unusually, in flowing blue-and-gold robes that seemed more fit for a Roman forum than a jungle battlefield. He smiled at the assembled Cuban troops before fixing his gaze on El Heraldo. "A superhero," he said, slowly walking forward. "I can't say I expected many of your type to intervene. But still, there's no reason to fight here, right? Everyone should just calm down."

The robed man's words seemed... heavy. Like a great big blanket wrapping around El Heraldo's head, cutting him off from the rest of the world. He could feel all his tension and anger and hurry draining away, into a deep, ocean of serenity.

Edited by Raveled

El Heraldo stared at the Atlantean man. On the one hand, his country was busy attacking the Caribbean islands on account of some crazy "We owned you once so we own you forever" mindset, he had just seen them torching a barn, driving soldiers before them like rabbits, there were armored monsters rising from the deep and tearing through the streets of San Juan. On the other hand, he told himself as his arms dropped limply to his sides, his hazel eyes assuming their usual dullness "Yes...why should we fight?" he said aloud.

Face slackening, he asked flatly "Why are you doing this? You don't own the world anymore."

The robed man picked his way through the planted fields. "We own three-quarters of the world," he said smoothly. "These few dry islands would be just a small addition." He stood before El Heraldo, standing and speaking calmly. "Not like you surfacers have done much with these islands. Slavery, overplanting, brutal revolution, threatening atomic war over the placement of a few missiles." He cocked his head. "All we plan to do is put things the way they were. Atlantean settlements, paying loyalty and fealty to the oldest human culture of all.

"In the meantime," he added, his voice suddenly pitching lower, "I think you should drop that banner before you hurt anyone else, alright?"

"...No" Subito managed after an effort that seemed to pry at his brain. He blinked in surprise at hearing himself, feeling the overpowering urge to just give up, to stop fighting die away into a broiling anger. Gripping the Bandera with all his might he said "You want to make all the nations bow to Atlantis, not even to join it, to be slaves to you" Even on another island El Heraldo could feel the powerful desire for freedom, for independence, to never again serve some far-off power that the spirits of nations had. "You know how evil that is, what that tyranny will do to us, and you don't care because we're not as strong as you."

The power of the Blue Dame sprang to life around him in a golden light, and Subito took a step backwards as his fists seemed to catch fire. Fixing the strange Atlantean wizard with his eye, the young paragon barked "As I live Puerto Rico, Cuba nor any other island will fall, the world will never serve Atlantis again! Tell your masters that!" He shouted, leaping forward and slamming his fist straight into his enemy's face backed by a country's power!

GM

El Heraldo leapt forward and his fist impacted on the soft-looking speaker in a robe -- but he didn't take into account Atlantean physiology! The man in the robe staggered back a few steps, but his hair was barely mussed from the young paragon's blow. "Clueless oaf," he spat. "Feel the wrath tempered by the crushing depths!" The Atlantean retaliated, throwing a punch aimed aimed at El Heraldo's ribs.

Meanwhile, with the negotiations clearly breaking down the Atlantean and Cuban troops began firing on each other. El Heraldo was caught in the middle of a hurricane of bullets and firey bolts!

The fist struck home across the boy's torso, feeling like a sledgehammer even to his empowered skin "You've been doing your push-ups, man of the deeps!" Heraldo managed with a forced grin as he staggered back, holding his throbbing side with a wince of pain. His knuckles ached from hitting the wizard's face, and it dawned on the Herald of Puerto Rico as he glanced in horror at the battle unfolding around him(though somehow...something was missing...) that if he kept this up he would never be able to stop them in San Juan. But what else could he do? He was cursing his inability to listen when the Blue Dame tried to teach him his other powers when he caught sight of the fluttering Bandera in his hand. The flag had the power to sway the hearts of even dire foes...his only chance!

"How's your mental toughness, invader?!" he shouted in challenge, raising the Bandera high over his head as it fluttered in an airless breeze...and the ensign blazed with grim power. A chill seemed to settle of the air, clawing at the spine of the Atlantean mage, and everything he held faith in seemed just a little more uncertain "It won't be just me, you know. I'm not going down easy, and I'm not even the strongest hero the Caribbean has. Every nation has superheroes, people with the power to protect others, and none will stand idle while you pillage and conquer! The world has changed, and we can at last stand against you and deny your dream of empire!" golden energy coursed through Subito as he channeled the Blue Dame's might, glaring at his enemy and declaring fiercely "I'm just the first, but I won't be the last. Soon your armies will meet a power they can't beat, you'll lose every battle and your failure will be remembered until the end of the world. Your lives are lost if you fight on, surrender!"

Edited by Arichamus
  • 2 weeks later...

The golden energy shone forth from El Heraldo like a beacon, and the Atlantean soldiers quavered when it hit them. The man in the robe retreated quickly, covering his head. "Ahh! You... you haven't seen the last of us, meddlsome surfacer! This land will belong of the Jewel of the Seven Seas!"

The Cuban soldiers advanced cautiously, but as they saw the Atlanteans retraeting into the treeline they crowded around Heraldo, cheering him. Cutting through the adulation, however, was the voice that he was used to looking to for guidace. "Subito!" The Blue Dame wasn't calm and comforting this time, though. In fact she sounded quite angry. "What are you doing on Cuba? You are sworn to defend Puerto Rico, and here you are not even on the right island!?"

The Heraldo was happily enjoying the praise of the soldiers he had rescued, and started as the voice rang through his head, flinching a little at the heat in the Dama's words. Still, he rarely backed down before her no matter how angry she got and argued fiercely "Hey, all the Caribbean's under attack, the battle won here means they can help us on our island!" it didn't even occur to him to wonder why he was saying this aloud "It barely took any time, and we'll be there to help in a second, I'm not breaking my vow!"

Leaping into the air he soared off for Puerto Rico, following the island curves with ease. He was going even faster than before now, spurred on by his spirit patron's reprimand "I can't just ignore people who need help Dama Azul, you know that"

• 4 weeks later...

GM

The soldiers chased the Atlanteans back to the treeline and cheered, emboldened by seeing the fleeing backs of their enemies. One of them, a sergeant by the stripes on his coat, walked up to El Heraldo and clapped him on the shoulder. "I don't know where you come from, stranger," he said, "but you saved all our lives! The invaders are not being merciful, at least on Cuba."

"This is not your home," the Lady hissed into El Heraldo's ear. "Right now Peurto Rico is being invaded from the sea, and its defender is on a different island entirely! If you do not act soon, I shall be forced to find a new protector, before there is no Peurto Rico to care about!"

"You must return with us to Havana," the soldier continued, oblivious to the paragon's critical benefactor. "The Atlanteans are setting up some kind of tower there. It must be connected to their invasion. We can't let it be completed!"

Panic seized Heraldo. 'If I go with them, the Dame might take my powers and I won't be able to help. But if I go they'll die and I might already be too late for my island. But if I stay then maybe I can end this fast enough to get home, but if I go what if I can stop the Atlanteans in time, but if I stay what if that tower destroys the island, but what if there's another on Puerto Rico...'

He stood paralyzed for what felt like several hours, before he looked up at the sergeant and said wretchedly <"I am the champion of Puerto Rico, and to there I must go. I am...I'm so sorry!"> he burst into tears <"Please forgive me, but I cannot stay, my home is in danger!"> so saying he launched into the sky, shouting down <"I'm sorry!"> before turning and racing off for Puerto Rico.

'Any other choice words, Dama mia?' he thought angrily, wiping his tears away with a sleeve as the young paragon raced high over the waves.

• 2 months later...

GM

"You will thank me one day," said a voice in his ear.

El Heraldo propelled himself through the air, cutting through the clouds over the crystal-clear waters, following the curve of the islands to his homeland. As he neared, however, he couldn't help but notice the clouds thickening, growing heavier and darker. Invisible pressure built up around him, and in the space of a few minutes he was flying through a thunderstorm. Even his limited experience told the young paragon this was outside the realm of nature; was this part of the Atlanean's plans?

• 2 weeks later...

''Course I will, once I see it your way everything will be fine' Heraldo thought bitterly. He was less than assured that anything about this situation was going to end up fine.

He was distracted very quickly from gloomy subject by the sudden appearance of the storm. Rain pounded at him like a hail of frozen spikes while the wind lashed and buffeted him about, forcing him gradually lower and lower as the ground below sank into the gloom of a tropical storm. Whatever good it did the Caribbean ecosystem and atmosphere, it made flying utter misery.

"Atlantis" the powerful young man growled to himself, eyes burning with blue fire as he soared over the island arcs and God only knew how many other scattered battles, routs and veiled atrocities "they used to control half the world, weather control wouldn't be a problem. It hampers us and conceals them, no planes or boats are gonna go through this anytime soon."

There was nothing else to do but go on, following the trail of landmass breadcrumbs by the shape of mountains, bays and what little else he could make out far below. Subito wondered why he couldn't just be there and get it over with. The thought baffled him before he was done thinking it. This was the real world, things weren't just going to happen for his convenience.

• 1 month later...

GM

El Heraldo powered on through the lowering clouds, banking around a particularly nasty thundercloud and punching through a rain squall. When the paragon glanced down to get his bearings, he had to stare at the land below him before it clicked. There it was, the land of his birth -- Puerto Rico. Of course, the last time he had seen it, there wasn't smoke rising from San Juan, or a great glass-and-gold submarine sprawled on the nearby beach. As the protector of the land circled lower and lower, he started to pick out squads of Atlantean troops marching through the streets, reinforcing the notion of Atlantean supremacy over the island.

The air around Heraldo suddenly grew closer, and he felt the staticy build-up of immense power around him. A quick roll and a lightning bolt crashed through the space he had just occupied. There was another in front of him, and then another behind. It was quickly becoming dangerous to stay in the skies.

The port city of San Juan had for years been a distant, vague blur in the memory of the young man. He remembered mostly the airport, and the glittering sea and white sands backed by a general pile of buildings shining in the dawn. As Subito grew older, he of course had done his best to find out about the land he was born in, the research sharpening his mental picture of the metropolis and the people who lived in it. His hazel eyes picked out landmarks almost automatically as he swooped lower and lower in the sky, until he clearly saw the tramping squares of Atlantean soldiers, and for the first time caught sight of the submarine parked on the sand he had seen so many years ago. His breath caught in his throat at the sight. What could he, even if he did manage to get help(and how little there would be of that wasn't hard to guess, Puerto Rico was no bastion), do against such an invasion?

"There's gotta be thousands of 'em, at least. And they won't just stop sending troops in. there's going to be even more...just a few hundred would be hard enough for me, but this?! I can't sneak worth a damn, their comms are probably magic, and there'll be people here too, thousands of hostages for them if I DO make a difference. If their magicians don't strip me of the Dama's power and the Atlantean gunbros just shoot me first. And...and there's too much ground to cover. I start fighting here, they're doing awesome somewhere else. I can't even begin to protect so many people at once..." It was the kind of situation where you questioned your basic utility. Of course, this was hardly the first time. That was back when he'd pushed a boat Glow was standing on while she lifted a freighter. And so many days after that.

There wasn't much time for self-pity though, as the lightning started crackling past him like jabbing spears, and as he darted and dodged the roaring lances he realized abruptly: someone was trying to force him down. "The clouds, now this," El Heraldo muttered as he threw himself in a freefall hurtling head over heels towards the ground, the air catching his words, muffling them "Somebody down there knows about me, they-" straightening out and whirling to the side just in time, he felt and saw the lighting tear past him, smelt the vile taste of ozone, and felt the impact of thunder, a shrill cry of pain jerking from his mouth as one hand clutched at a too-sensitive ear.

Gritting his teeth and concentrating on the pain, all but willing it to a dull throb instead of a hot dagger digging into his skull, Heraldo decided to try something really stupid, changing course towards one of the parading platoons like a gold-blue comet 'Yo, Dama! I'm gonna hit a bunch of their squads at once, get their attention so the people can get out. Unless, 'course, you deign to tell me about some badass super-plan you happen to have cooked up?'

Normally Subito was nothing but respectful to his patron, but something about this was off and it was starting to grate on him.