The Man Who Fell to Earth [IC]

Fenris nodded as Kyle...Cavalier...explained. 

"Sounds like we have our work cut out for us. And for what it's worth, sounds like you did your best."

Dragonfly's HUD got a message on it.

--Ease up on the guy a bit. If he hadn't pushed that thing may have hit the city before we got it in the tunnel. Not everyone is quite the techno-wizards we are. We should spend more time figuring this out, less time getting on his case.--

The armored man moved into the ship, keeping his pace slow and his eyes open.

"Right then, let's have a look at the pyre, and then maybe the control center..."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solar Sentinel followed close behind, keeping a careful eye on his surroundings. He wasn't an expert on technology, and didn't trust himself not to break something or trigger an alarm. With that in mind, he floated slightly above the floor. He looked to Fenris. "I'm no expert on technology. Glad to know there are some folks who can handle that sort of thing around. I feel like I'm about to spring a trap or something. Part of me hopes there are hostiles in here. It'd give me an excuse to be useful instead of listening to tech talk I can barely follow. 'Course, if they could take down a Star Knight, that's prolly not a fight I want."

Miss Americana's silver robot minion climbed through the hole after the others, its blank face turning from side to side as it took in the ship's interior. Apparently not having any eyes was no impediment to its vision. It scanned the room until it found a computer interface, then walked over to it and began examining it. "The ship's internal sensors and cameras, if it has any, might offer some clues as to what happened," Miss A's disembodied voice offered over the radio. "Most of these types of ships have the equivalent of flight data recorders, I'll see if there's one we can have a look at. Just make sure not to get sucked through a portal into another dimension or solar system," she advised the others. 

Dragonfly didn't reply or visibly react to Fenris' message, though she did let the topic drop; as Miss Americana delved into the ship's computers she went straight to the business of assessing the ship itself, and the...fire. She wasn't sure what to make of that fire.

For that matter, she wasn't sure what to make of the ship itself. It all seemed fairly straightforward as she started building a mental model of the design and layout, but while carefully inspecting the stasis chambers and trying to trace power lines back she came to realize that there was something missing. Something rather important. "....there's no power," she said, sounding perplexed and a little doubtful of her own conclusion. "Obviously engines, I mean - conduits, cables. Or equivalents. But no...power source. Fuel. Potential energy. Nothing. It's...what? No. That- obviously had to have power somehow. ...what did this ship run on?"

Fenris moved into the ship and stayed close to Dragonfly, clearly interested in the same things she was. They both poked and prodded at the machinery, and came to basically the same conclusion. His head nodded as his eye-lenses narrowed a bit.

"Indeed. And it's not the sort of system that draws in power from an external source, like some of my systems do. So there's no fuel source. And no energy collectors. Only..."

He crouched down and inched next to the eerie white flame, his armored hand poking just inside the rim of the pit containing it.

"Capacitors. But...if they can use capacitors on something, that means they can not only measure it, they can manipulate it. More importantly, I think we could try rigging up something to track it with!"

He stood up, energy starting to leak into his movements as his brain "spun up" on the beginnings of some ideas.

"Mind if I see those?"

Kyle bent down to get a good look at the pyre; once he found the capacitors Fenris was talking about, his face lit up. "I'll be damned... these aren't that different from the ones of a Pyrexion class! Mind you, those are meant to register and guide dark matter, so it's not a perfect match, but I can use that as a base... hey, wheel that table over..."

Within a few minutes, Kyle and Fenris were kitbashing together a detector, working on putting together a means to track back the strange flame. "So, I realize I'm a few years out of date, but... this normal for you guys? Catching objects falling out of the skies? Dealing with, uh... returnees?" 

• 2 weeks later...

"Can't say I've ever done it before, but I suppose our line o' work isn't always predictable. I'm a recent returnee myself. I was in space for a very long time before I came back home to Earth. Was very strange to see everything so different when I got back, too.  Talking pictures hadn't been invented yet when I left, and I came back to high definition television."

He was trying to relate to the young man who would probably experience a dizzying difference on the Earth, as he had. Perhaps not as extreme as his own. He also had nothing to do while they worked with the technology, but he knew that would pass. People didn't tend to kidnap Star Knights without some serious problems arising. He'd hold his weight then.

While Fenris and Kyle worked on a way to trace the bizarre energy at the heart of the craft, Miss Americana worked on getting a readout from the sensors on the craft. Once she was able to interface with the bizarre technology, she realized two things. One, the craft did not have any conventional sort of surveillance equipment. Two, it instead used something that she could best describe as "3-D Kirlian photography" - a spectrum of colors and lights that directly communicated information, even if she couldn't tell exactly how it was extrapolated.

The ship had apparently traveled quite some ways, from somewhere outside of the Milky Way that she was having trouble placing. It had gone into stasis in one of the Lagrange points around the earth, and has been transmitting to objects at the other four. And there it had laid for close to two months, until Star Knight and Kyle had showed up. She could feel the flare of energy, both in the ship and its comatose crew, as the two entered and explored; she then felt that energy almost become one, a synthesis of crew and vessel. When Kyle blew the engines, the energy, whatever it was, began to fluctuate wildly. And when the crew jumped through the flame with the comatose Star Knight, the energy apparently left with them.

But she had some idea where the energy had gone. There was something of a sympathy, a momentary connection with a receiver. And while it was entirely a feeling, she could swear it was somewhere in Freedom City...

• 2 weeks later...

"The power source... I think it might be the crew itself," Miss Americana told Dragonfly over the radio. "The sensors on this thing are like nothing I've ever seen before. I'm not even sure I'm interpreting the visual data correctly, much less the written information." The silver robot stepped away from the console and rubbed its eye-spaces with its hand in a very human gesture that was quite at odds with its appearance. "But there was definitely some sort of synthesis happening between the crew and this vessel, and as soon as they left, it seemed to power down completely. Their sensors use some sort of highly advanced electrophotonic imaging system, which suggests that they are aware and make use of energy auras that are substantially more powerful than those of your average human. They definitely weren't from around here, I can tell they came from outside the Milky Way, though perhaps not from outside the Local Group. Either way, quite a trip." 

The robot lay down on the ground suddenly, taking a tool from the scanner and using it to pry off one of the console's exterior panels. "They were communicating with something while they were here, for several months. And there's something in Freedom City that connected with them too, or that at least was very sympathetic to their energy signature. I'm going to try and get a bead on it, see if we can learn anything there." 

Dragonfly disabled her radio transceiver for a moment and muffled her audio, though it didn't stop the sharp-eared from hearing a noise of strangled frustration though her suit's face plate. "You do not power important things with people," she said, mentally flipping communication back on. "It is not a good idea. But, somewhere to start - local first. Do not like the idea of people like this hiding in the city."

The heroine's plated gauntlets flexed open, little tools on articulated arms folding out as she took stock of the ship. "Will help you - tell me what you need. Apparently not short on salvage parts if required."

• 2 weeks later...

"That...that's kind of odd. I'm no expert on ships, but, powered by people? People nowadays are on about clean energy, but that's a stretch."

He turned to Cavalier. "So how many years were you gone again? Got any family you're planning on going back to?" He felt a little bored, but also felt that maybe the younger man might appreciate a little empathy. After all, the situation was weird and stressful. Back in the war, asking the men about their families was a way he got them to relax.

"A little over six years," Kyle said. "I was still in the Local Cluster. Not too far away... relatively speaking. But no one in the Cloud had a really good idea of where Earth was in the Milky Way - it was just one, big starry blur from their side. And the ones who had something of an idea didn't have the tech that could make the trip. In all honesty, making the Knights was my lucky chance to get out." He cast his gaze downwards. "And I'm not exactly happy about how that happened."

Before he could elaborate, Miss Americana's report on the readings came back. "There's a local correspondence?" he said. "That might be where they went! Can we find it?"

---

It turned out, with a little jury-rigging, it was remarkably easy. The signal led to a small business settled into a converted church on Lamont. The sign out front proclaimed it was a shelter for the Torchlight Foundation.

"Here I thought the invasion would come with guns, not Bibles," said Kyle. He had fully retracted his armor; now, for all intents and purposes, he looked like a sport biker who might have gotten his leathers from five years in the future. "So, do we go in the front door and hear the good word, or go in the back and see what's involved in Confession?"

Fenris considered the building for a moment, still sticking out like...well, a big metal wolf-man. Finally, he turned to Kyle for a moment.

"Both. Perhaps Dragonfly and myself could move around back, while you three take the front. That way there's less chance of someone getting out without us noticing. The two of us should be able to link up with you quickly as needed."

He didn't seem overly passionate about the plan, and likely wouldn't scream objections if someone offered an alternative. Instead he was simply trying to make the best possible use of all existing resources. 

• 3 weeks later...

Miss Americana stayed outside, taking up a high position to keep a watch on the building. Kyle and Solar Sentinel walked in the front door, swiftly taking in their surroundings. For the most part, it looked like any other soup kitchen, and quite a popular one. The indigent and the impoverished gathered in numbers, sitting at tables and partaking of meals. There was an air of contentment in the kitchen - not joy, but not despair, just satisfaction with being together and having a good meal. The same contentment swept out to the volunteers, who were gladly serving those who came up.

Their eyes passed over Kyle - obviously they'd seen weirder. But when they saw Solar Sentinel's costume, their eyes lit up. "Hey!" one of the volunteers said. "It's not often we get heroes in. You come to volunteer?"

---

In the back, Fenris and Dragonfly managed to sneak through the back door. Fortunately, the back was fairly empty, so neither of them had to explain why two individuals with enough firepower to wipe out Schenectady had gotten lost and were asking for directions. The halls were mostly barren - basic paint job that had likely been slapped on when it was picked up by the new buyers, a few posters with bright motifs emphasizing the values of honesty and righteousness - and the two heroes could hear a few voices behind the various doors.

But what was really standing out was a strange sensation in the back of their heads, like radio static through deep water. It pinged the edge of Fenris's senses, but Dragonfly could easily trace it to the basement.

"Don't like it," Dragonfly muttered over her suit's radio. She'd brought up her force field as soon as they'd gotten near the building, but otherwise she was quiet - her handful of space-bending engines running in relative silent mode as she and Fenris made hteir way toward the basement. "Bad people who hide behind or under good places - never ends well. Takes a special kind of criminal to shield themselves with charities or orphanages or whatever, maybe. Don't like it. And really don't like anything that...buzzes in the back of your head. Really never ends well. Coming from the basement, I think - down, anyway. Going to check it out."

Fenris gave a quiet human-ish growl in agreement.

"Not exactly a church-man myself, but it's...not just wrong, almost feels like a violation. Deception, and on top of that, using charity as a sort of human shield."

His metallic mouth curled in a smile that might quail lesser men and women. He nodded at her next comments.

"Just a...tickle, I guess...to my brain, but I don't like it either. I've got your back."

There wasn't much of a sound, but the PPCs on his forearms were glowing slightly, meaning they were likely ready to spit man-made lightning at any moment as they headed downstairs.

Solar Sentinel was a bit disappointed. Normally, he'd have loved to pitch in and help, but he just couldn't. There was too much on the line with what he was dealing with.

"I regret that I have something pressing to attend to." He said. "However, I will come back at a later date and help out, I promise." He said. He clearly meant it, too. Volunteer work like this was something he took seriously. All those years of fighting, he had a lot more saving and helping to do before he could ever go to bed feeling like he'd done more good than bad.

• 2 weeks later...

"Oh, that's all right!" said the volunteer, though it was clear there was a slight note of disappointment in her voice. "I'm glad you all are interested, at least. It's so good to see heroes give something more back to the community." Her smile was as warm as a bonfire. "Well, feel free to take in what Torchlight has to offer. If you have any questions, feel free to ask."

Cavalier took a look amongst the various citizens. They really did seem content. A few of them even seemed to be singing hymns under their breaths... and, though he wasn't sure, one of them sounded awfully familiar...

"I don't think I recognize you," said the volunteer. "Are you new?"

Kyle smiled as best he could. "Just back in town after a while," he said.

The door opened remarkably easily, though there was a quick start that echoed across Fenris and Dragonfly's senses. No doubt some sort of alarm; whoever was in charge would likely be back soon. It looked like your average disused basement - except for the gigantic braziers ringed with hideous, unnameable technology that stood by the walls. And the thick, reflective chains that hung from the wall. Between those chains lay a woman in golden armor, one both Fenris and Dragonfly recognized as Star Knight. The armor was in a clear state of disrepair - it looked as if her captors had tried to pry and, in some cases, burn it off. But it had held, for the most part. 

"What kept you?" she said. "Had trouble finding a big enough jackhammer?"

Dragonfly made a distracted, mildly grumpy noise behind her helmet, taking in the room and trying to keep her brain from spending too much time on pulling the technology design apart and trying to figure out what its purpose might be. priorities "Stopped to pick you up an industrial grinder," she shot back. "Have to make sure you're shiny again for your League photoshoots."

She made a fist, a glowing blade of twisted space forming an inch off the end of her fingers, and made her way toward the captive Knight. "Whoever took you probably knows we're here. May have to work fast."

Fenris couldn't help but roll his eyes a bit at Dragonfly's snark. She clearly hadn't dealt with some of the European supers that were currently active.

"We're allies, Star Knight. My name's Fenris. Not the real one, don't worry. We'll get you loose."

He walked over, examining the restraints as he went. When he was close enough, he poked and prodded at them (standing on the opposite side of Dragonfly), nodding to himself before giving a half-smile at Dragonfly's comment about working fast.

"Right, yes, quick and dirty, no time for over-analysis. Luckily, I've got a set of bolt cutters."

At which point he ran high-energy plasma to the extended claws on his fingers and set to work trying to pry apart the chains restraining Star Knight.

• 3 weeks later...

Star Knight looked up to see Fenris and Dragonfly, and there was almost a start. "Crap," she said. "Thought you were with these guys. This little arrangement doesn't exactly do wonders for my peripheral vision." 

The chains didn't exactly yield easily, but in time, they did yield. "Been rattling these things pretty hard," she said. "You'd think the wall would give out after a while, but somehow this stuff manages to absorb all force exerted from within. But you know what the most annoying part is? The preaching. These guys have been trying to stuff my face in that white flame stuff for the past few hours. The armor keeps it out, but obviously, they've been trying to solve that little problem..."

---

Upstairs, Kyle was trying very hard to be happy and smiley with the various charity workers. Which was a hell of a thing, given how unkempt he must look. Yes, citizens, he thought, 'tis I, Outlaw Biker Man. As he scanned the crowd, he noticed someone furtively whispering to the woman leading the food distribution. The woman then returned the furtive whisper, sending the volunteer to the back. And soon after, two followed in his footsteps.

Yeah, that can't be good. He snuck up to Solar Sentinel. "So, we've probably got trouble...'

Solar Sentinel glanced over that the whispering pair and nodded at Cavalier. This, this wasn't likely to be good. "Hmm, I wonder..." He said. "What do you think we ought to do?"

He glanced around the room, wondering how many people were 'in on' what was going on. Could it all be a front, or were some of these people taking advantage of the situation to actually help? This whole scenario had seemed strange, and it wasn't getting any more normal.

Edited by Thunder King
  • 2 weeks later...

"Can you fly? If you can get out of here, I'd say you should get back to the League HQ and try to get a couple of your team-mates here to help contain the situation. I think we can probably wrangle this one, but backup's good."

He paused, which might have given her time to object, but he didn't really give her space.

"Your armor's damaged, and you yourself said they were trying to compromise you. It seems like the best, safest course is for you to get to help, both medical and mechanical, and for us to tear this place down around their ears. Metaphorically, anyways."

• 2 weeks later...

Star Knight laughed. "Well," she said, "as plans go, it's got a lot to recommend for it." The cuffs split in time, as Dragonfly's efforts finally caused the alien material to split. Star Knight flexed her arms, and as she did, the armor began to reform in the areas where it was damaged. "All right, first priority is getting the civilians the hell out of here. But given how happy these guys are to spread the good word, that might be harder than it sounds. I suggest --"

Her plan was cut off as the door above creaked open. Alien gibbering rushed out from above, and white light flashed into existence, illuminating the darkened basement. Two individuals who could hardly be described as human stood at the top of the stairs, glowing brands shining at the ends of their various appendages. 

"...well, that's not good."

---

Up above, Kyle looked to the door, scanning for an exit - but some of the staff had joined with a good number of the patrons to move towards the exit without actually leaving, creating a human wall. The same thing happened with the doors into the back hall. "Well," he said, "it was a good visit, but I think we have to go." 

The woman serving the soup looked at Kyle with disappointment. "Leaving so soon?" she said. "That's sad. There's so much you need to learn." 

The human tide parted at the rear as two men came walking through the hallway door. In a dark room, they might be mistaken for human, but the color of their skin and their facial features indicated they were from nowhere local. Their hands were raised in fists, glowing with white, entrancing light. 

"The Light shines forth in all. It burns away iniquity and fear. Come. Know what it's like to carry truth in your soul."

Kyle took a step back, and as he did, the teeming mass of humanity took a step forward. "Well, that's an enticing offer," he said, "but I guess I'm just a lying bastard at heart." With a thought, the bracer on his hand flared to life. Energy crackled over his form as the remainder of his armor popped out of extradimensional space, sealing in a matter of seconds. His gauntlet opened, the plating coming together to form a blaster that popped right into his palm. "Now I'd recommend everyone take a step back before this breaks out into a hate crime." 

The aliens at the far end of the room said something indecipherable, and charged forward. 

"Oh, well. Worth a try." 

• 3 weeks later...

Cavalier's blaster charged up as he stepped to the side, anticipating the alien's feint. "Y'know, I'm really running out of a desire to handle this situation peacefully," he said, "but I'm not one to take a dump on diplomacy. So maybe we can discuss why you've set up your own little version of Scientology - with actual aliens this time - and then we can talk about where the hell my partner is." 

The alien paused, as if considering Cavalier's offer. But it was just for a second - it soon charged forward, brand glowing with the white of an approaching star. Cavalier was quicker on the draw - his blast caught the alien right in the chest, causing him to lose his footing and stagger from the impact. 

"Or, we can engage in hostilities. So, who's next for a round of shotgun dip --" 

It was then that Cavalier became aware of the others around him. While some of the humans were swiftly running for the doors, others were moving towards the conflict. Some of them were interposing themselves between the heroes and the aliens, then standing stock still, even as the aliens wove around them.

"Oh, that's just not fair."