• 1 month later...

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

I am a noble genius inventor superhero out to make the world a better place.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

When “armored up†I go by Fenris.

My young cousin Eira, to whom I am more of an uncle, calls me “Uncle Maggyâ€, and anyone else who tries will only do so once.

What is your full birth name?

I am Magnus Vilhelm Katastrof.

Where do you live?

Wherever I please.

Well, more factually, my ancestral home is Castle Katastrof, located in the Katastrof Valley, nottoo far from Helsingborg.

But between “jet-setting†about the world for the sake of my company, and thus living in various hotels for stretches at a time, and living in my small home in Freedom City to manage much of the work in America, there are times I feel I live everywhere and nowhere all at once.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

I am 27, born in the year 1986.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

I am a man.

How would you describe your heritage?

I am the newest heir of a long, proud lineage of Swedish nobles, stretching back to the days of 1000 AD, or possibly before.

The Katastrofs have ever been loyal sons and daughters of their homeland, though in...rockier...times, how that loyalty was expressed varied.

How tall are you?

Five feet, ten inches.

...Unless I’m armored, then it’s six and a half feet.

What is your body type?

I myself am in excellent condition, but I am not, as you Americans say, “bulked upâ€. I am more concerned with keeping myself healthy than with incredible strength.

The armor, of course, gives me quite a bit of rather intimidating bulk.

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

While in good shape, outside the armor I am still essentially a regular human, just with a slightly fortified biology thanks to nanotechnology.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

I try to make sure to project a sense of both confidence and friendliness. It’s always better to have employees who enjoy working with you, instead of fear you.

Fear’s only good when negotiating with shady rival businesses.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

I’m Swedish!

More accurately, I’m pale (I tend to sunburn easily if I’m not extremely cautious), and my hair is a nice platinum blonde while my eyes are a light blue.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

Clean-shaven, with my hair kept fairly short but well-styled.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

I would like to think I’m rather handsome, yes.

I’ve been flirted with, but considering my wealth and heritage, I’m never quite sure how much is about how I look as opposed to...other factors.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

A few small scars, especially on my knuckles from my earliest inventing days. Not so many getting earned now, between the nanotechnology and the armor...

Do you resemble anyone famous?

I’m the “anyone famous†people get told they resemble.

Do you have a dominant hand?

I was born right-handed but have trained myself to be near-ambidextrous.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Mostly suits, or at least slacks, a shirt, and a tie. Mostly because I’m in meetings half the time. My accessories are how I individualize; I sometimes wear very “wacky†ties, and my cufflinks and tie chain carry small science-fiction symbology. That and my phone/palmtop rig, though since that’s how I don my armor quickly, it’s not solely for looks.

When I know I’m not going to be in public or the office or anything, and it’s just me and maybe my family and/or the lab? I wear “regular people clothesâ€; jeans, shorts, tshirts. But when you’re under 30 and the head of a giant multinational corporation, you have to be extremely careful about public appearances.

Do you wear makeup?

Only on television, if I have to.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

I’ve got a solid baritone. I don’t have any unusual voice characteristics, beyond the unique qualities every human has.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

I sometimes fiddle with pens or other similar objects when sitting at a desk and thinking. I also have a tendency to pace and such when really thinking.

History

Where do you come from?

I hail from the fine country of Sweden.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

I have many locations where I stay for periods of time, but my truest home is my family’s ancestral castle, where it always was.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

I am proud of my heritage, but do not think my country the only good country in the world. No one country does everything right, when all is said and done.

Our government does as well as can be expected.

I would not go so far as to call myself a “patriotâ€, no.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

It is my home, and that feeling will never change. I love the views of the valley, in winter or summer, and there’s just something about the air out there.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

As I said, I grew up in Castle Katastrof, in the Valley of the same name.

It is a good town, with good people. Everyone there likes to give a “rustic†touch to the homes and businesses, but in truth we live quite modern lives. We just like taking the best pieces of the “old ways†to keep them around. Do not throw away what works, and so forth.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

I was only a “minority†in the sense that not everyone there was a noble. The Valley is not necessarily the most, ah, diverse of places. No one is unwelcome, but neither does it advertise in other places to attempt to draw new residents. Though this has changed somewhat with the direction I have taken my company.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

I have always been very good at science, and I have something of a head for business.

I make terrible coffee and can’t sing to save my life.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Not in my early years, not really.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

In my childhood specifically? I suppose it was when I watched an episode of a local television program that focused on science. My parents (even at that age) were already talking about “running the companyâ€, and I knew in abstract that “science†happened at the company. But when I watched that program, Science became wondrous to me, and I knew I had to do science. And here we are today.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

Let’s just say a few of the rooms in the castle have blue and green stains in the stone and leave it at that.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

I attended a mix of private tutors, a couple of nearby exclusive boarding-style schools, and eventually the top colleges and universities in the area. I’ve been in study abroad programs that took me to Norway, Germany, Switzerland, France, England, and even Russia.

I’ve completed 2 Bachelor’s-level degrees, one in Engineering Technology, and one in Theoretical Physics. My Doctorate was in Engineering.

It was quite enjoyable. Especially as I was able to finish just in time for my 21st birthday, so that my “roaring 20’s†(as Mother calls them) were free and clear to make my mark on the world.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

My old Erector Set that Father bought me when I was about 5. It reminds me of a time when I could enjoy the simple act of building.

A couple of watches my Grandfather owned; they are magnificent pieces, but one is the watch he wore when he married my Grandmother, and the other is the piece he wore after my Father’s birth. They were both a sort of symbol; he stopped wearing the former after Grandmother passed. The latter was his until near the end.

A very battered stuffed bear from my Grandmother. She got it on a trip to America. One of her earliest gifts, and the one that always seemed to come up in conversations.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

3 days, 14 hours, and 7 minutes after I had turned my father in to the Swedish law enforcement for conspiring to bring down the government.

I knew that it would not properly clear my name, but I also knew I had to try and make up for such a shame on our family. Perhaps one day, when those who now call me “enemy†are long locked up, and I am slightly greyer and much older, I shall tell the world. After I have proven myself a hero and a boon under both names.

My power and my intellect, they must be used with responsibility for the sake of more than just myself.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

Not truly, though I keep things vague if asked while in my armor. I wish to keep my identity a secret for now.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

From my past? Not truly. My father’s shameful actions and ambitions are by no means secret.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

I perhaps put on airs of exaggerated confidence in many meetings, as well as flirting more often than I actually feel any attraction. It is...expected...of one such as I, and to protect my heroic self’s secret I try to adhere to expectations. Nothing too shameful, though. More just “playing to the crowdâ€.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

I would do a fair bit of lying to cover my heroic identity. Perhaps a few other related bits of deception. But I would never see another human harmed for such secretiveness.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

None at all, secret or public.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

Gostav Jarle Katastrof and Sonja Malena Katastrof.

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

I was raised by them, though with a bit of aide from my older cousins Bernard and Magda, and a couple of tutors.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

My father was Baron Katastrof and the CEO/Primary Stockholder of Katastrof Industries; one of the most prominent of the Swedish nobles, a well-respected businessman, and a captain of industry.

Mother helped with various things in the company from time to time, but mostly focused on a combination of PR for the company/my father, and setting up various social events (Father was good on the small scale, but Mother has a knack for wrangling larger arrangements).

Where are your parents now?

Mother still lives in the private wing of Castle Katastrof.

Father is currently in a medium-security prison not far outside the capital.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

We have lived in the valley for twenty generations, and in this castle for fifteen. We took the occasional trip, but otherwise generally were at home.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

My father...he was my, if not hero, my model. The bar against which I measured myself. I knew early on that I might be “smarter†than him, more capable in science...but it was his continuing drive for success, to always go just a bit further that put the spark in me to be more than a “mere†engineer.

My mother was the one who encouraged my unique scientific flair, and my much-expanded vision for our company. From my very early years she found my fascination with science not just “cuteâ€, but wonderful.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

Mother and I get along well enough, but...there is a certain distance that was not there a few years ago. Perhaps inevitable.]

Father has yet to request to speak with me as he sits in prison.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

Bernard and Magda are not unlike a brother and a sister for me, and with Bernard’s father passing away many years ago, he spent several years with us. He always found my love for science a bit befuddling, but still cheered me on. During the times I went to school and he was also there, he stepped in once or twice when...less intelligent sorts tried to impost themselves upon my person.

While he and I butt heads on occasion (Magda insists it’s because we’re alike in personality and “spiritâ€, if not areas of interest), either of us would move the world for each other, and we would both move Sol and Luna for Eira.

But I am, ultimately, an only child.

What was your birth order in the family?

I am an only child to my parents, and a few years younger than my cousins Bernard and Magda.

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

Bernard and Magda have a nice home in the town around the Castle; Bernard insists on trying to “make his own way†as much as possible. He’s a skilled tradesman in basically anything involved with constructing and repairing homes and office buildings.

Magda works part-time at the local school as a reading tutor, though for the last couple of years she was busy caring for Eira.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

We talk, though perhaps not as much as we used to. Life tends to keep me busy, and Bernard and Magda are busy helping Eira adjust (and adjusting themselves).

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

I don’t truly hate any of my family. But my father...I constantly find him a source of shame and disappointment all at once.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Little Eira is basically my niece and I dote on her as such. Bernard is always worried I will spoil her, but considering he’s basically next in line for the Barony if something happened to me, I think I’ve done a pretty good job of keeping things from getting out of hand.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

My father, for his plans to summon Norse “deities†and work to overthrow the government.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

Bjorn Katastrof was a notorious Viking raider in the First Millenium, and his almost astonishing success paved the way for the family’s long history of success. For better or worse.

Frej Katastrof was the first true Baron Katastrof, and was a rather excellent noble, especially by the standards of the day.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

No.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

Perhaps. I wrestle with that question often myself. Part of me feels there is a duty to continue the family line. And certainly, I would like the joy of finding love, and bringing a new life into the world, an outward expression of our unity, a child who might help open new wonders to my life (perhaps my child would be a painter, or a pianist, or one of a thousand other things I’m not).

On the other hand, I fear what sort of father or husband I could really be. Even putting aside the rather looming nature of the Barony and the Company, there is the risk borne from my hero work. Or my rather...driven...personality.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

A woman who could challenge me intellectually, and also bring new things into my life.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

I...I am not sure that I do, beyond my family. I have friends, but none that are truly close.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

I...I do not.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

My family, assuredly. Perhaps a few of my colleagues would worry about me as a person, rather than in the more abstract sense.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

I have had none to lose.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

Fenriswulf. And in my eyes, any who would use magic or technology or power to truly subjugate the innocent.

Or in the case of the Foundry, likely slaughter all organic life.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

Likely by trying to kill me with violence.

Corporate enemies might try a takeover, but I have...contingencies...in place for that.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

I would say it was likely my father’s dip into madness, his betrayal of our family’s honor and principles.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

My Family. My Company. Science. Humanity. My Country.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

I trust my family the most. Beyond that...not many people, not so fully.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

Those who use power to prey on the innocent. Those who would smash humanity down for their petty schemes of power or vengeance. Those who would try to restrict technology from ignorance instead of caution.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

Honesty, critical thinking, competence.

And yes, I have them all.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

Pettiness, which I mostly avoid. Fear overriding everything else, which I avoid.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

Yes. The only one who knows it, besides myself, is the heroine Dragonfly, and that’s only by accident. She has been gracious enough to keep the secret, though. A few of the more intelligent tech-oriented heroes might suspect, I suppose.

I hide it to keep my family and company safe from reprisals. And because part of me likes being appreciated for my actions as a hero, completely separate from my company.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

I am a leader, and I can work pretty well on a functional, well-motivated team.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

I am not on a team at this time, though I would not be adverse to forming one with a few other science-oriented heroes, especially the ones who use armor in a manner similar to myself.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

Not really, beyond the duties of running my company.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

Stephen Hawking. Charles Babbage. Daedalus. Nikolai Tesla. Isaac Newton.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

I found myself rather disillusioned with my rather...well, child-like view of my father when I discovered his plot.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

I do enjoy it. And I think the best parts are when I’ve done good work with my peers...or when I manage to get a child to smile in thanks or relief (despite my rather fearsome visage).

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

Give up? Perhaps age, and certainly if there was a need to focus on my family, my company, and my science such that hero work was a true hindrance (it currently is not).

Switching sides, as in becoming a villain? Only if the definitions of “hero†and “villain†became reversed. I would perhaps conflict with an individual hero if they were acting erratically or irrationally, but as a “general philosophyâ€, no.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

Growth of Katastrof & Sorenson Technologies. Crack a couple of problematic physics equations. Crack the methods of creating a few of the more exotic elements I’ve recently discovered.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

See KST as a global franchise. Have at least one small orbital “colony†constantly running, and have overseen a couple of manned round trips to Mars. See the world running nothing but clean, renewable energy (Fusion, my reactor tech, solar, who knows what else).

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

That if my Mother and Eira knew my heroic identity they would reject me, somehow.

That my inventions are turned against the innocent.

That I somehow go to a “place of madness†and threaten the innocent.

Thankfully these only really crop up in nightmares and when I’m pulling the proverbial “all-nighterâ€.

Is there anything you would give you life for?

To save the innocent. My family.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

Money is a tool. A resource. Something to be carefully applied and leveraged for goals.

I mean, certainly, I won’t deny enjoying having a lot of it. Luxuries are nice.

But careful investment with a number of distributed accounts means that my day-to-day living is assured without worry, meaning the rest of my funds are free to be given or invested where needed and desired.

So ultimately, while others might see it as a mark of my success, as far as I’m concerned it’s only a means.

How do you generally treat others?

Cautious respect until proven otherwise. I’ve been told I can be “guarded†at first, but generally cordial.

One has to be careful sometimes, in the business world.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

Not fully trusting, no.

And yes, my trust in my own father was shattered years ago. And to a bit of a lesser extent, my trust in my mother.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

I am somewhere in between. I am open and friendly enough with anyone, but I have few friends that I fully trust.

I would say I possess a sufficient amount of assurance in both my place in the world and in my abilities.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

Depends on the situation and what I know about them. A bit of light flirting is semi-typical, though if they’re clearly married or otherwise in a relationship I simply hand out friendly compliments.

What are your most annoying habits?

Besides being right 97.8% of the time? Because people seem to get annoyed about that...

I suppose I tend to pace and gesticulate when I’m really thinking about someone, and I can get a bit....manic....about science sometimes. I’ve been told it’s a touch “freaky†to some who don’t know me well.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

Pretty much just villains and their ilk, for rather obvious reasons.

Oh, and I don’t like those extra-dimensional entities who call themselves “Norse godsâ€. They’re a bunch of muscle-headed jerks.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

I love Pyttipanna made with beef.

I also have a soft spot for fresh Samosa.

I try to savor my food if I’m not being rushed to a meeting.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

I like Julmust, and this American drink Doctor Pepper for non-alcoholic.

For alcoholic drinks I tend to prefer brandy or whiskey, as long as it’s quality.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

I find myself greatly enjoying these American ice creams with flavorful chunks of things mixed in, and I cannot pick a particular favorite.

Let us say that I am glad I have enhanced my physiology and metabolism such that a bit of indulgence isn’t overly harsh to my system.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Peas. Thankfully they are not very common in traditional Swedish dishes.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

I particularly like blues, greys, and greens.

I’m not terribly fond of yellows except for the darkest shades; they tend to hurt my eyes in large amounts, for some reason.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

Classical. And a bit of Swedish Metal.

I dislike “pop†music.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

The smell of an active engineering laboratory.

Do you have a favorite animal?

Sea otters. Delightful little animals, and they are tool-users to boot.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

Hm. Beyond the various mementos from my family, I would have to say my Armor, as I made it with my own hands and ideas, and I use it to help other people. And look rather noble while doing so.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

“Roughing it†means “staying in a cheap American hotelâ€.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Hm. Beyond some of the more infamous “dirty job†professions in general, I would say cleaning the latrine/bathroom in particular. Most cleaning tasks aren’t that objectionable, but that one is simply...no.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

I used to be able to say simply “noâ€.

But after the...well, the “scare†with Eira, I am left more contemplative and a bit less hostile.

So the answer is that I am not so sure any more. I am, I suppose, more open to ideas and concepts, at least.

It is not something I specifically think on much, though.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

Not in particular, considering how vague they are.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

Not really applicable.

Could you kill? Have you killed?

I have not taken a human life, or even a truly sapient AI or the like.

I am...I am likely capable of killing. It would take extreme circumstances, I think.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

I think simply my upbringing and my personal views regarding human rights and dignity.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

Putting aside arguments regarding official government police or military in various situations (there are entire books on such subjects), I would say someone in my position should avoid it at all costs, and only employ truly lethal force to stop a major threat to innocent life that cannot be stopped in any other way.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

I would react poorly; whether it’s a random villain or a “nemesis†would make little difference.

I think my reaction would be worse if it was a friend, because a sense of betrayal of our shared ideals would be mixed in.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

I would react with anger and work to recover that item post haste.

How would you react to public humiliation?

I would be humiliated, most likely. Likely angry as well.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

Accidentally? I would grieve, and likely snap at people for a time, but beyond perhaps feverishly creating a device to forestall such an accident, I would cope.

Purposefully? I might well use reciprocal force against the killer, especially if given the chance in the moment. I would not be proud of that afterwards, but I know my own heart, mind, and especially temperament.

My aunt and uncle (Bernard’s parents) passed in an auto accident, which is why some of KST’s newest car models are especially robust. My grandparents (both sets) passed naturally, though.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Several, but offhand, human trafficking. I’ve made my displeasure with such practices known whenever I came upon any trace of such behavior.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

1.) Kiss a willing, beautiful woman.

2.) Have a picnic with Bernard, Magda, and Eira.

3.) Speak with my Father one last time.

4.) Hug my mother and tell her I love her.

5.) Release all information regarding my armor and associated technologies, as well as all personal notes and prototypes, to a few select people in my company as well as outside of it. Proprietary technology is important, but keeping knowledge and science alive is more important.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

No “hero trainingâ€, just practice, steady nerves, and computer assistance.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

No one, I’m self-taught. I’d say I have a fairly healthy relationship with my own psyche, though.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

“Unusual†skills? Not...really?

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

I’m the primary shareholder and CEO of a multi-national technology company specializing in basically anything that’s not intense biosciences. It’s fantastic, and I don’t want to really “do†anything else.

Oh, I’m a Baron, but that’s more ceremonial.

What is your preferred combat style?

Shoot them with PPCs or hit them in the face with electrified claws. A lot.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

Not beyond a few school awards.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

Probably my hand-to-hand and aiming, so that I’m less reliant on HUD aids and so forth.

I’d love to be able to play the violin; I love the sound of the instrument, but I never could do it right when I tried over the years.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

A Baron is never jealous, simply vigorously wistful.

And I’m *always* trying to learn.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

Wake up, prepare for the day, hold several meetings, then go tinker in the lab for a while. Maybe slip on the Fenris Armor for a bit, especially if there’s a crisis.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

I occasionally put together various plastic and resin models. The kind you glue together and paint and such. Bernard suggested them as something less “gear-headed†that’d still keep my hands busy and such. I think he just wanted someone who he could have put them together because he was terrible at them.

I enjoy a good book, but all things considered that’s likely not that unusual.

What do you do for fun?

Besides inventing things that will change the world? The above hobbies.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

I wear an incredibly advanced suit of powered armor that makes me an equal of any metahuman.

I basically look like a big metallic werewolf with glowing blue highlights.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

In a suit, or if I’m not expected to be “dressed upâ€, slacks and a polo.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

Silk pajamas.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

One of my grandfather’s watches, on my left wrist.

The family ring signifying my status as Baron Katastrof; it’s a thick gold band with a grinning skull etched into the square that rests on top of the finger. I bear it on my right ring finger.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

I have a few very secure safes in my Castle.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

One of my cars for the short distances.

One of my company jets for longer distances.

When I’m not teleporting about in my suit, that is.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

I had one made up 3 years ago, not long after I had created the Fenris Armor 1.6.7. I have kept it thoroughly updated.

Most of my monetary funds and controlling interest in the company, as well as the family titles and such, pass to Bernard, and through him to Eira. Mother and Father have more than enough set aside.

There’s a fair bit given to foundations and whatnot.

My hero-centric inventions are “eyes-only†for Miss Americana (perhaps a businesswoman, but one with unshakeable ethics who I know will make good use of the technology), Dragonfly (the only one who knows my identity, and another highly ethical friendly rival), and of course my family.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

Probably all the nanotechnology, my DNA, that sort of thing.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

Hopefully for being an inventor, a hero, and a man who paved the way for a shining future for the human race alongside other technological pioneers.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

No. My goals have always been to help, aid, and lift up my fellow man.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My intellect.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

Probably pride.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Grand goals are good, great, even. But it might be worthwhile to occasionally keep an eye on what effect going after those goals and dreams might have, not just on those closest to you, but also those further away from your “circlesâ€. Looking before you leap, metaphorically speaking, is probably a good idea.

Edited by KnightDisciple

Private Lab, Basements, Castle Katastrof, Katastrof Valley, Sweden

March 23, 2013

The room was buried under ground level and within reinforced concrete, with lead shielding sandwiched between concrete layers. The room was extremely "explosion resistant", and contained a Faraday Cage to boot. The locks on the door were the most advanced thing the man inside could concoct, which was certainly a high standard. He was currently clad in a white lab coat, bearing blue rubber gloves, a protective face mask, and clear goggles. He spoke, and the computer systems in the room recorded his thoughts.

"The substance dubbed "Computronium" appears to be distinct from some of the proposals of acclaimed science fiction writers. This substance is not truly "programmable" matter. What it is, however, is a fascinating blend of carbon, silicon, rhodium, and trace amounts of titanium.

The titanium appears to lend its strength and heat resistance to the overall compound. 

The rhodium seems to serve as the "binding" agent, as well as lending increased flexibility and conductivity, and topping it off with incredible corrosion resistance.

The silicon serves as the basis for its variable-temperature conductivity, as well as its incredible application for computing usage. While the rhodium keeps everything together, the silicon seems to serve the purpose of "defining" everything. It's what catapults this substance to the status of "greatest single tool for advancing computing in history". 

The carbon, finally, serves to make the material even tougher, as well as keeping it flexible, and also aiding the conductivity and computing potential even more.

Yet..."

He pauses, carefully picking up and pondering a square of the dark metallic material, contemplating it under the light before continuing his thoughts out loud.

"Part of me feels even this is not a complete picture. It is as if the Curator, or whoever invented this compound, took the best properties of all these materials and...merged them together. While it is not as nigh-indestructible as Impervium, or possessing of the more exotic properties of Daka Crystal, Computronium is not only a strong, robust material, it allows someone with sufficient skill  to craft ships or drones or vehicles that are themselves computers. The central "computer bank" merely serves as the controlling apparatus; the distributed computronium gives it incredible distributed computing power, seemingly serving as a collection of secondary CPUs and added RAM, with a dash of data storage thrown in if constructed right. As well, it seems to serve as an ideal selective conductor, allowing the being controlling the material to send electricity or data or other, more exotic energies down the line one direction with zero feedback. This bears out the past and present noted tactics of the Curator.

It should be noted that the "tentacles" extruded by the Curator's ship (which itself was likely just a local computer node, really) were observed "dissolving" when the central intelligence was struck down by means still held classified by those more immediately aware of the situation. My current theory is that these appendages were not truly "solid" in the normal sense, but instead compacted collections of nanites forged from computronium with a dash of the other unique element discovered. These nanites packed themselves in close enough to act as a traditionally-constructed solid object, so long as they had continuous instructions. The termination of the central signal, and the observed "collapse" afterwards, would serve as a solid break in said signal, enough to disrupt the nanite formations. The nanites themselves seemingly broke down for the most part; in the examination of the Curator vessel, large "tanks" were observed filly with a "nanite slurry" that were mostly empty. Small trickles of nanites were observed returning, but those taken for sampling mostly crumbled to their component atoms within minutes. 

It is my proposal that humanity can use the harvested materials from the Curator's ship to serve as a sort of 'base' from which to begin synthesizing our own iterations of the various exotic materials found. These initial batches produced will give us the means to create space-capable vehicles that will, in a rather short time, allow us to begin harvesting the resources of, at the very least, the inner four planets plus asteroid belt. 

The problem is, many of my scientific peers express doubt that this can be accomplished. They fear potential repercussions, though it's unclear from where. Some have cited increased scrutiny in the galactic community, to which my response is 'bring it on'. I firmly believe that humanity, for all of its flaws, is nearly ready to burst onto the larger universal scene. Those among the stars who count us 'primitive' may find themselves surprised in due time. 

More immediately fascinating, though, are some of the potential applications for this material in a man-machine interface system. First and foremost in my mind is the potential for vastly better artificial limbs and the like. While Miss Americana's designs have, thus far, surpassed my company's own, I think that by focusing our efforts more on a specific set of goals, and incorporating man-made computronium interfaces, we could revolutionize the whole field. If I'm right, I could..."

Here, he pauses, clearly emotional for several moments. He closes his eyes and takes several deep breaths before continuing, sounding calmer.

"With those initial designs being proven sooner rather than later, I could forge the way for creating a more holistic and natural experience for those who have experienced more radical full-body transplants. They would truly have the best of both worlds, more so even than the current optimistic projections.

And beyond that, there are staggering possibilities for the selective application of computronium implants in the human nervous system. My current projections indicate that such implants could give staggering leaps in mental processing ability, memory retention, spatial awareness, and basically all forms and aspects of human brain activity. In short, someone with such implants would be objectively smarter and faster-thinking than at least 99.99% of the human race. Combined with my own independent advances in medical nanotechnology, not only could said implants be delivered smoothly and painlessly, without the need for actual surgery, but we would also be able to seamlessly monitor and address any potential 'problem areas' before they even start. If such research bears fruit, which I firmly believe it will, this may well be the first step in advancing the human race as a whole and allowing us to better all of our lives and unlock more of our innate potential."

Underneath the mask, Baron Magnus Katastrof couldn't help but grin at the thought of all that potential...

Edited by KnightDisciple
  • 1 month later...

April 7, 2013 

The same room as before. This time, there are multiple foot-long strands of what seem like an oddly pliable silvery metal. The Baron is once more in protective gear. 

"Today I am further analyzing a compound initially gone over by myself, the hero Voltage, and the highly-esteemed Doctor Viktor Archeville. We found the initial samples inside one of the Curator drones on board the AI's ship, and analyzed from there. Since then, a good deal of the metal has been stripped from both the drones and the larger ship, in an effort to get it into more hands for analysis, as well as to break down the ship itself to remove it from the presence of the Sanctum. 

This substance, which I am now dubbing "Neo-Silver" (a name I will be filing with the appropriate agencies soon enough), is, in essence, the ultimate capacitor-conductor. Neo-Silver is capable of indefinitely holding a charge that seems utterly disproportional to the size of the sample. A single strand of a few centimeters holds as much charge as a AA battery, with none of the chemical risks, and with 100% efficiency, discharging it far more smoothly than one would think possible. In larger amounts, it seems to almost amplify the power it holds, though extensive testing shows it's really a bit of excess energy from the self-perpetuating molecular action within the Neo-Silver. While normally this isotope should break down inside 15 minutes, it has been arranged such that the breakdown forms a cadmium/palladium mix. This isotope mix reacts with the energy running through Neo-Silver, not only sustaining the charge in full, but also reforming the original silver isotope molecules! 

The most immediate application of this discovery is in power storage for less traditional items, such as artificial limbs or replacement organs. Combined with some breakthroughs we've made in power transmission studying the Curator's tech, one could produce an artificial arm laced with Neo-Silver that could be charged for approximately 30 days by just laying a strap across the arm. The efficiency is great enough it doesn't even require a full access port! 

But replacement limbs and organs are only the start. In time, I think it could prove useful for space flight applications, and potentially parts of the automotive industry. And more besides. I believe that, in time, when Terrans begin to stride across the stars, our ships will utilize Neo-Silver, or a very similar derivative substance, in the power systems of our ships. 

Looking in the more immediate future, once Katastrof & Sorenson Technologies has perfected a process for synthesizing Neo-Silver, we will begin producing replacement limbs and organs that utilize the substance for power storage. We will also be looking at ways to utilize it in some of our aerospace designs, especially satellites for both deep-space and terrestrial observance.

Personally speaking, I believe I am going to work on taking some of the existing samples and making more potent Particle Projector Cannons for the Fenris Armor. However, fine-tuning the system using this substance will be no easy task, so I expect it to take me a few months yet. 

All in all, the potential of Neo-Silver is matched only by the potential of Computronium, albeit potentials in a different direction. I firmly believe that the salvaging of the Curator ship, its drones, and most importantly all the materials and technology within are going to give Terra the boost she needs to achieve the galactic stage by the end of the 21st Century."

The Baron, who had been poking and prodding at various strings of what he had dubbed Neo-Silver, laid down his tools, taking a moment to observe the ongoing readings from the various electrical currents running back and forth through some other samples. He let out a please sigh before turning off the electrical experiments and collecting the samples to place in a secure container over to one side. 

After that was done, he went to an industrial sink on the other side of the room and scrubbed off the light residue on his gloves from working with the various samples, before moving to the changing station and removing the protective outer layer he'd had on over...jeans and a t-shirt, it seemed.

He spoke aloud, not realizing that the recording was still going on. 

"Now to go out on that picnic with Eira, Bernard, and Magda."

Humming to himself, he walked out of the lab. Perhaps 2 minutes later, the video and audio recorders powered down per programming, detecting no activity in the room.

April 21, 2013 

There was now a large clear container set up as a mouse cage, attached by a tube to a maze that seemed to occasionally shift its layout. The table next to it held what seemed to be a padded operating table sized for a mouse, completely with tiny IV feeds. Though one of them was connected to two containers that seemed to contain swirling metal...

"Progress has been made in mapping the viability of lacing a brain with Computronium to increase performance. All computer models show promise, but without live data there's nothing that can be conclusively decided. I've settled on some tests with standard lab mice first. I've already established baseline performances in the maze when it's both static and moving. I'll be keeping 2 as controls, and the other 2 will be given different doses of the lacing. I'll be using the most recent model of my medical nanites to perform the lacing procedure, as they are small enough to do this on a cell-by-cell basis. 

I will now begin the first lacing, going for a total coverage of 50% of the brain."

His latex-gloved hands gently reached in and extracted a single mouse. It was given a brief puff of nitrous oxide to calm it down before being strapped in and hooked up. One IV gave it a sedative to knock it out, another kept a saline solution flowing, and the last provided the nanite flow. Within 5 minutes, the procedure was done, and the mouse was placed back in the cage. 

It awoke perhaps 15 minutes later, and was released into the maze....

"Note: 50% lacing is an astounding success. Mouse is showing intelligence of the most intelligent rats ever recorded. All remote sensors indicate there are no ill effects to its health. 

I am now commencing 100% lacing with the next subject. My projections state it should achieve mental ability approximately equal with some of the more intelligent birds discovered in the world. Beginning procedure."

Similar steps were taken with the second subject, though it was ultimately unconscious for about 20 minutes. Afterwards, it was unleashed on the maze, which was kept at the same setting as before. Magnus couldn't help his grin at the results.

"​Results are better than I expected. Mouse is showing intelligence equivalent to some species of dogs. No ill effects noted yet, but I'm going to keep observing for the next week while I set up some further tests."

With that, he scrubbed and stripped, leaving the mice in their comfortable laboratory cage. The recording soon stopped afterwards. 

April 28, 2013

This time the mouse pen has been moved out, and there is instead a sterile section of the lab set up with a fluid-filled clear box.

A box which contains a naked human brain.

Baron Magnus was dressed in clean hospital scrubs, a mask over his mouth and goggles over his eyes.

"Lacking a method to ethically set up an early human trial, and not wishing to use lower primates due to the...well, not secret, but low-key nature of my work, I have instead procured a brain that was donated for the purposes of science.

Subject was deceased approximately 6 months ago, brain has been preserved in a chemical cocktail and kept just above freezing, to prevent damage. Subject had no deformities or disease that would alter brain structure from normal human range, and cause of death was not due to brain injury in any way. In all ways, this brain is intact and as average as possible with homo sapiens. The only cuts were at the brain stem and below, with none of the internal connective tissue being altered in any way.

I have spent 3 days having my sensors map the contours and pathways of the brain. These pathways have then been loaded into the memory of the nanite package that I am poised to deliver, to ensure that the neuron coating goes smoothly.

I am now initiating the injection."

With that, the baron pressed a button, and the IV feed leading into the brain in the tank began. The two connected bags of metallic liquid slowly but surely drained of their contents.

At first, the only signs were those on the sensor displays, which had Magnus nodding eagerly. Finally, as the last of the bag was drained, there was a slight glint that washed over the outer edges of the brain, until it was left looking mostly like before, but with very fine traceries of a dark grey metal. It still seemed inert, but the Baron didn't seem to mind.

"SUCCESS! I have done it! While the brain is in no way active, the Computronium has fully bonded to the organ, accruing absolutely 0 damage to the structure that was not there previously, while simultaneously lacing itself onto approximately 95% of all neural pathways present in the cerebral cortex. According to projections, this should achieve notable to massive boosts in cognitive function, memory, cognitive speed, and general performance. In layman's terms, it could make a person smarter...

But more importantly, it could serve as a foundation for procedures to treat or cure severe epilepsy or other neurological diseases. Once we've perfected Computronium production and the off-world mining of the necessary materials, we might one day be able to use this process on every willing human being on the planet, granting them brains that are both more capable, and more resistant to disease and age based degeneration. It won't make your brain invincible, but it could prove to be an astronomical step forward for humanity.

Even better, while it will of course increase performance, I don't see the increase being so much that those who choose not to upgrade, for whatever reasons, are in danger of becoming "sub-human"; these enhancements will simply increase what already exists, instead of granting something that was never there in the first place.

But the point is that it worked! Of course, this won't pass the muster for any federal agency. I would need proven safe human trials. But...I am not sure anyone would agree to the procedure, even those who often volunteer for drug trials."

He paused, taking a deep breath.

"I will have to test the procedure on myself. It's the only ethical thing to do. That it will give me even more mental ability is a plus, but this test will not be for my sake, but the sake of humanity!"

May 12, 2013

The recording is in a completely different room this time. It was smaller, and filled with medical scanners and monitors. The centerpiece was a padded chair with restraints, flanked by more scanners and a couple of IV feeds, with small, almost delicate waldos mounted on the back.

The blonde man in the chair is already hooked up to the drips, and is settling in and activating the restraints.

"Today marks the next chapter in my continued personal improvement through the power of science and technology. Already my body is more robust thanks to earlier nanite treatments, and I'm even able to communicate with computers. Now, I shall be enhancing the performance of my organic brain by lacing my neural pathways with molecule-wide lines of Computronium.

Rather than supplanting natural function, they will be enhancing my existing thought processes and mechanisms, aiding my natural body in performing its functions. At minimum, I predict a notable increase in cognitive ability. Best-case scenario outlines the ability to think at vastly higher-than-normal speeds.

I will begin the procedure in 15 seconds, and likely won't be able to coherently respond until it has "settled", which should be only a minute or two after the procedure finishes. All told, I expect this to take 5-10 minutes."

Indeed, 15 seconds after he ceased speaking, it seemed that the Baron was partially numbed, though he was still aware and somewhat able to focus. The human brain had no pain receptors, after all. But when the feeds for the temporary nanites and the Computronium started, it was clear it didn't feel nice either. The Baron grit his teeth, clenched his hands, and breathed in a somewhat ragged pattern. Still and all, he seemed to be doing well for a man who was having metal bonded with his brain.

After perhaps 4 minutes, the feeds were empty and done with, and the discomfort seemed to ebb a bit. The Baron lay back with his eyes closed, clearly trying to let his body adjust to the rather unusual changes he had wrought.

Then his eyes shot open as the restraints loosened and the IV feeds were gently pushed out of his skin. He blinked as he held his hands up in front of his eyes, moving them back and forth for a few moments. He blinked and shook his head, clearly focusing himself to keep calm.

"Fascinating. The procedure worked, and I can feel the increased mental capacity and cognitive ability. As well, I appear to be manifesting the ability to think at vastly higher speeds if I so choose, though I seem to be able to turn it on and off if need be. Which is good, as otherwise I might go insane from the perceptive mismatch. Instead, it's a handy way to make the most of boring meetings, I think...

Off-track. Vital signs have dropped back to normal after elevating slightly, likely due to the stress and discomfort. Now that the procedure is complete it has faded, but for a time there I felt like everything was a bit crowded in my skull, as well as a sensation of cold metal moving through my veins and arteries. Which...is accurate enough, I suppose.

But I am marking this as a total success, pending long-term observation and documentation. I fully anticipate this procedure will become more widely used in the coming years. Especially when we don't have to use recycled Computronium from an external source, but instead can mass-produce our own."

With a smile, and an oddly metallic glint in his eyes, the Baron tossed a few things into the biohazard disposal unit and shut down the various medical instruments with a wave of his hand. The, he marched from the room, new purpose in his shoulders and spring in his step.

The future was looking bright indeed.

Edited by KnightDisciple
  • 5 months later...

June 20, 2013

The Baron sat in a chair, manipulating a physical keyboard and a half-dozen floating holographic interfaces, his eyes never focusing on any one thing. The secondary sensors in the room would show the subtle waves of communication between his body and the equipment in the room. 

On several large screens in front of him, wire frames, cutaways, and other such charts showed the human body. Various organs were highlighted in various windows, with streams of data flowing around them. 

"The true problem, then, is the fact that while it's easy to repair hairline breaks, minor blood vessel bursts, general bruising, and small muscle and ligament tears with general-purpose nanomachines, it's much more difficult and time-consuming to do so with more major injuries, or moderate but widespread injuries. As well, there's the danger of so many nanomachines concentrating in one place that you risk blood clots or other complications from metallic concentrations or mass changes. 

One possibility is to design hyper-specialized nanomachines that carry custom "tools" for one specific organ's maintenance. This allows you to do more with less, eliminating the blood clot risk. The downside is that if you want a body to be able to deal with multiple injuries at once you need multiple nanomachine doses. It also introduces issues with multiple complicated interlocking systems. 

The other option, and one I find more appealing, is working toward smaller nanomachines that have the same capability as their larger brethren. If reduced in size and increased in numbers, the same overall mass accomplishes more, because each machine can perform a different part of the task. This also means you could do with fewer overall nanomachines, as they could move from organ to organ for repairs. Slightly less efficient on a per-machine basis, but better overall.

Another tactic to consider is short-term dosages, perhaps applied with special bandages. Apply a bandage, nanomachines enter wound area, repair, return to bandage. It is recycled, with the machines being thoroughly sterilized for re-use. 

Perhaps we need to look into using nanomachines to make better nanomachines. Which is terribly more difficult than it sounds; programming for large-scale (in comparison) activity is MUCH harder than small-scale. A man can easily lift a board into place, but has more difficulty threading a needle. Still, if nothing else, it's an excellent path to travel down. 

And if we can treat grievous injuries, perhaps we can treat less critical things. Eye conditions; not only macular degeneration, or cataracts, but near-sightedness. A world without glasses or contacts, except for fashion purposes. We could help reduce harmful elements in the blood, reducing the need for medicines to prevent heart disease. Many possibilities exist."

He paused in his work, contemplating the screens before him. Unbidden, a very slight smile came to his face.

"The only question is if we have the will to seize the opportunities."

June 21, 2013

Magnus all but ran into the same lab room as before, the door locking behind him and all the computers and screens whirring to life even as he sat down. His face was filled with near-manic glee. He was all but laughing.

"I can't believe I didn't realize the solution sooner! I was working with mundane materials! Base metals from just our ball, using only the brilliant science and metallurgy I conjured up with my own two hands and one brain! I never considered inspiration from the stars!"

He typed at near-lightning speed, diagrams flowing onto the monitors very rapidly.

"Reports from the teenage heroes who confronted the physical vessel of the Curator indicated it damaged the Centurion's Sanctum with large "tentacles" made of Computronium. But when myself and a host of other scientific experts were there, only the stumps of said "limbs" were present. Why, we asked? The answer was: nanotechnology! It turns out that what was originally observed to be "solid" Computronium was, in fact, a mass of nanites! This allowed the interface with the Sanctum computer systems, and this was why said "tentacles" seemed to dissolve after the deactivation of the vessel! The entire thing was just a bunch of nanomachines holding a single larger shape!

What's critical here is the size of the individual nanomachines we recovered!"

The screen now displays two pictures. One is of a device that seems both advanced and crude; clearly tiny and self-mobile, but with many distinctive small parts. The other is a much more streamlined device, one that seems to actually change a bit each passing second. It's also one-third the size of the other device.

"The nanites used by the Curator seem to actually be composed of a "core" of a few pristine molecules of Neo-Silver for power storage and reception, with the rest being molecules of Computronium that can re-arrange themselves to fit a particular signal! I sadly don't have the advanced capability to create the equivalent, but I think I can make something close for now, a sort of "in-between" stage. If so, it could prove an incredible boon for short and long term medical care! You could shore up holes in the cardiovascular system, re-inflate collapsed lungs, rebuild atrophied muscles, and so much more!"

A third designs, halfway between the sizes of the other two, starts to take shape on the screen, though it's a much rougher schematic at the moment.

Seemingly unbidden, the camera shifts focus slightly, zooming in on this new design.

July 15, 2013

Today the Baron was studying a set of schematics of his armor, tapping his chin in thought.

"It strikes me that it could be useful to allow some level of autonomous operation in my suits. Perhaps linked to my existing abilities with machines? The question isn't so much the communication; I could rig that up through my palmtop. No, the issue is in the armor having sufficient smoothness in its motive process without a physical body backing up the mental commands.

Two options present themselves."

As always, schematics seem to flow onto the screens.

"One is to set up completely distinct "suits" that are actually based on a solid metal frame. The advantage is that they will likely be a bit more robust, and definitely easier to build. The downside is that if the transmission system breaks down, I couldn't call them onto my person to take over manually.

The other, ultimately more enticing option, is to create a small "reservoir" on the back to hold a supply of Computronium nanites that can filter into the suit to provide a solid framework. This would also allow said frame to carry some basic commands if I am incapacitated. And if I decided to don the suit, it's just a few moments and the nanites are stored, and I am once again wearing the suit. Even better, I could likely re-task them to carry out repairs, or, in a desperate situation, perhaps rig up some sort of temporary device on or in the armor for an unforeseen situation. Though on that front I may try to create a few modules I could use to quickly augment the suit; my unique mode of transportation ensures I could quickly mount said modules with minimal interruption in operation.

Either way, the firewalls in the suit's system would need to be near-legendary. The last thing I want is this technology falling into the control of some other individual or group. While not the most potent in and of itself, between the nanites, if I go that route, and the motive systems, it could be quite disastrous."

• 2 weeks later...

October 10, 2013

No one is in the lab when the camera fully activates. No motion is detected.

Except for the motion of the computer screen as numbers, diagrams, and symbols flow across it at incredible speeds. This goes on for several minutes, with some of the screens lingering on the plans for the Curator Drones, the Fenris armors, and the newest nanotech designs. But other systems were seen briefly too.

It was perhaps 30 minutes into this display that the door to the lab began to open and everything went still. The Baron walked in, a puzzled look on his face as he cast his gaze about.

"I was sure I got a funny feeling off the firewalls..."

He scowled at the screens, a wave of his hand activating them, which just displayed an empty desktop with nothing in particular displayed. He stared for a moment, then sighed and shook his head, running a hand through his hair.

"Not enough sleep, too much coffee, too many solo workdays. Ought to make a tour of the facilities in the country. Yes, note to self, tour the labs and headquarters buildings. Hm. Perhaps if I do it right I can get to the place going over the Curator drones in about a month. Yes, that's an excellent idea. Excellent indeed."

Muttering to himself as much as into the voice notes app on his phone, the Baron wandered out into the hall, the door closing and locking behind him.

Perhaps 75 seconds passed before the screens shot to life once more. The video recording, meanwhile, has a lock icon in one corner, indicating it is encrypted. Perhaps an hour later, everything calmed down, the screens fading away to blackness once again.

Before briefly flaring up a simple symbol made of 3 dots, the darkness quickly overtaking the displays again.