"Mmmh. Sorry, Eden," Mara said, looking down at the little creature - and, apparently, the sentiment was genuine. "And...thank you," she said to Ellie, sneaking her head around for a quick kiss. "Means a lot. Looking forward to seeing what she wants to be, though. It's...a very parental urge? Don't know. Weird to think about."

She frowned again as she settled back, though it was a lot less reproachful and a lot more good-natured. "Should at least talk like a normal person, though. Yolanda, I mean. She'll have trouble in school otherwise."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Heh, I get the feeling the little sparkplug can take care of any bullies herself," Ellie predicted with a poorly concealed grin a of familial pride. Yolanda was bright enough not to go looking for trouble or picking fights but her adoptive older sister doubted the dimensional refugee would take any abuse lying down. Watching as the girl busied herself flipping over every rock and log she could find about the campsite and examining what was underneath, Ellie tilted her head slightly in consideration. "Hey, you ever think about having kids?" she asked Mara idly, letting Eden grab at her finger.

Mara gave that question some serious thought, furrowing her brow as she mulled it over. "...didn't used to," she admitted, shrugging. "Just didn't seem likely? Wasn't in a good place to be adopting, obvious...logistical problems in the way of having a kid normally. Plus, kind of a lot of stuff hanging out in my system; clearing up over time, but...mmh. Not good for babies."

She flicked her multi-tool open and closed a couple of times. "Now, though...maybe? I mean, not now now," the young woman quickly corrected, glancing up at Ellie and turning a little red. "But might have thought about it. A little. Has some appeal. Adoption or science or whatever."

Some time later Erik and Min wandered back to the camp.

The dryad still had her arm wrapped around the swordsman, her head still leaning against his shoulder. At some point during their time in the woods, Min's hair had become unbound, a burst of wind still carrying some of winter's chill causing it to stream out behind her. There was some color to the ancient guardian's cheeks, as she practically danced into the clearing.

Humming a tune that was old at the height of Atlantis' power, Min reflected upon her happiness and it was clear to Ellie and Mara that something transpired out in the forest, aside from the obvious.

"Heh, no, not 'now now'. Just thinking," Ellie agreed with Mara as her brother and Min reentered the clearing in particularly good spirits. "Oh, subtle." With a snort she stood and walked over to meet them, handing Eden back over to her mother. "So," she chided Erik teasingly, placing a hand on her hip once her arms were free, "when you said you wanted to ask her something, you meant you wanted to know if she'd--"

"Marry me, yeah," Erik interrupted, finishing the sentence and keeping his expression mild for a beat and then another while his sister blinked and took a moment to process the conversation abrupt shift in direction. Finally raising a hand to the side of his mouth conspiratorially, he added in a stage whisper that carried far enough for Mara to hear, "She said yes."

Eyes wide, Ellie covered her mouth with one hand then almost immediately used the other to slug her brother in the shoulder. "You dork!" Leaving him rubbing his shoulder with a broad grin, the younger sibling turned to hug Min tightly, mindful of the infant, who seemed quite amused by the sudden flurry of movement. "Congratulations."

"Congratulations," Mara echoed, her eyebrows lost somewhere up in her hairline as she looked at the couple with surprise and appreciation. "Unexpected. Ulterior motive for camping trip?"

She flicked her multi-tool closed, turning her head to the side and looking vacant for a moment. "....good location, though. Meaningful. Quiet. Shows thought and consideration." She leaned the stick against her leg, giving the swordsman a thumbs-up with her free hand. "Good job."

She paused again, this time glancing toward Min. "You know if you marry him you'll be stuck with him, right? Years and years of bad jokes."

• 2 weeks later...
"I wouldn't have it any other way," Min told Mara, flashing the engineer a grin over Ellie's shoulder before Erik's sister released the hug.  "And thank you, you two." she added solemnly.  "Aside from Erik and our daughter, you're all the family I have and your approval means much to me."  The amber-eyed woman blushed a little at that statement, clearly nervous and her posture and mannerisms for once matched her outward appearance.

"Shall we eat?" Min asked after a moment.  "I very much desire to sit around a campfire and share a meal with those I value.  And, perhaps, try one of these s'mores things."