New to the Business (OOC)

Thevshi

Hmmmm… power stunt for Area: Cloud… put that on Jube's duct tape (i.e., Snare 5) and he can 's got 125 feet of Trail for his Snare. How many of the 12 enemy-types on the ground can Jube get to within the limits of a 125-foot Trail?

Alternately, Area: Cloud would allow Jube to Snare everybody within a 25-foot-diameter circle. If I'm visualizing the battlefield properly, Neospell is distinctly outside the 'crowd' of thugs, so it should be fairly easy for Jube to not catch Neospell within the radius of effect. How many of the 12 thugs are located within a 25-foot circle?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cubist, I am not sure how a "cloud" effect would work for duct tape :)

As I see it, if you made the Area just normal (taking a Full Action flaw) you would have a 25' radius area, which is enough to catch all the thugs (and the cat-people as well if you want) while not catching Neospell in the area.

But, for this round, you have taken a move action and standard action (diplomacy), so I need to run through the bad guys and you can act again on Round Four :)

Round Four:

Jubatus: 42 (unharmed, 1 HP)

Neospell: 24 (unharmed, 2 HP)

Red Lion 1: 22

Gang Member 2: 21

Cartel 1: 20  (2 bruised, 2 injured)

Cartel 2: 19 (bruised, injured)

Red Lion 3: 18 (staggered)

Cartel 4: 18

Red Lion 2: 13

Gang Member 5: 11

Cartel 3: 2

(another of the gang members went down last round, Jubatus is up!)

Edited by Thevshi

Okay, Jube's gonna Area Snare the whole bloody lot of thugs—he'll burn the Hero Point for the power stunt, and add an extra (Area: Burst) plus a flaw (Full Action) to his existing Snare 5. The rules for Area attacks, on pg. 159 of the Core book:

An area attack automatically hits an area the attacker can accurately target, filling the area with its effect. Targets in the area get a Reflex saving throw against a DC of (10 + attack’s rank). If the save is successful, halve the area attack’s rank or bonus (rounding any fractions down) before applying it to the target, who then makes the normal saving throw against the attack. Targets with the Evasion feat (see page 60) suffer no effect if they make their Reflex save. Targets with Evasion 2 suffer only half effect even if they fail the save, and no effect if they succeed.
If you delay (see page 156) or ready (see page 158) a move action you can try to avoid an area effect entirely. If you move before the attack and have sufficient movement to get out of the area, then you’re safe. You must choose how far you move before the GM tells you the result of the area attack, so be sure you move far enough!
You can also spend a hero point to gain the Evasion feat for one round, allowing you to suffer no effect from an area attack if you succeed on your Reflex saving throw (see Hero Points, page 121).

So Jube automatically hits the area. Targets with the Evasion feat may be able to avoid Jube's Snare entirely. Everyone else in the area gets a Reflex save vs DC (10 + 5 =) 15; targets who fail this Reflex save are hit with Snare 5, and targets who make this save are hit with Snare 2. 

Edited by Cubist

Okay, time for some Reflex saves to avoid the Snare:

Red Lions: Area effect save: 23, 11, 15 so RL 1 & 3 both take half effect, so only DC 12 reflex save to avoid the effect of the Snare, RL 2 has the standard DC 15.

Snare Effect save:  16, 14, 11.

Cartel members: Save 1: 6, 5, 4, 7, so full DC 15 save for second.

Save 2: 5, 20, 3, 21, sigh, figures they do well now.

Gang Members: Save 1: 18, 5, so DC 12 for one and DC 15 for other.

Save 2: 20, 14

Engangled:

Red Lion 2

Red Lion 3

Gang Member 5

Bound & Helpless:

Cartel 1

Cartel 3

Avoided Snare:

Red Lion 1

Cartel 2

Cartel 4

Gang Member 2

Okay, go ahead and post the results of your action Cubist!

Edited by Thevshi

Okay, quickly resolving attacks and only writing some highlights.

Cartel 2 shots at Jubatus: 20.  That is just good enough to hit, so Jube has a DC 19 toughness save to make.

Cartel 4 keeps shooing at Neospell: 18 another miss.

Okay, after Jubatus makes his toughness save (baring any really bad rolls) we will be starting the next round with Jubatus up (though he will be fatigued, unless you want to use your hero point now Cubist)

Edited by Thevshi

I did burn the HP to prevent Fatigue from the power stunt—check post #29 in this thread. As for the bullet Jube just got hit with, his Toughness roll (1d20+10=12)… hmm. That's firmly in "Stunned + Bruised" territory. And since Jube only had one HP in the first place, there's nothing to burn for a re-roll. Frump.

Well, fine. Stunned + Bruised. The Bruised goes away real fast, courtesy of Jube's Regeneration; as for the Stunned, that goes away in one round (Core rulebook, pg 163, 1st column, last paragraph). So it's not the end of the world… and story-wise, it should have more than one Good Consequence, so I'll take one round's worth of Stunned and Bruised, thanks.

Okay Cubist, sorry about missing your post where you spent the hero point.  (and your actually bruised and DAZED (per house rules), but still miss your turn this next round)

And +1 hero point back to Jube for triggering one of his complications

So...

Round Five:

Jubatus (bruisedm injured and dazed, 1 HP)

Neospell: 24 (unharmed, 1 HP)

Gang Member 2: 21

Cartel 2: 19 (bruised, injured)

Cartel 4: 18

Gang Member 5: 11 (entangled)

Cartel 3: 2 (bound & helpess)

Neospell is up!

Edited by Thevshi

Okay, we are on:

Round Six:

Jubatus (bruised and injured, 1 HP)

Neospell: 24 (unharmed, 1 HP)

Gang Member 2: 21 (bruised, injured)

Gang Member 5: 11 (entangled)

Cartel 3: 2 (bound & helpless)

Jube is up!

Edited by Thevshi

Cubist, the dazed condition went away last round (when you missed your action then).  As for recovering from the bruised condition, I believe you have to get ride of the more serious conditions before the lesser can be removed, so the injured would prevent recovering from the bruised condition.

In any event, you can act this round.

[checks Core book re: damage and recovery therefrom] Okay, gotcha. What to do, what to do… Active threats are limited to Gang Member 2, Red Lion 1, and Red Lion 2.

Jube will take out Red Lion 1. He'll use his Mighty Strike 4, and apply the Stunning Attack feat. Attack roll for Mighty Strike (1d20+12=16) should hit, I think.

Jube's upshifted STR is 20, which gives him a +5 STR bonus on top of the Strike 4, so the Red Lion needs to make a Toughness roll vs DC (15 + 4 + 5 =) 24.

note: Jube's "wanna surrender" dialogue isn't really intended to do anything beyond focus the Red Lion's attention on Jube, thus giving Neospell an opening to do stuff. That's the plan, anyway, but we all know that no plan survives contact with the enemy…