New to the Business

Thevshi

After dodging the foam from the fire extinguisher, the last remaining cat-man once again slashes at Jubatus with his claws.  He came a bit closer this time, but the cheetah-like superhero was able to dodge them once more.  Growling with frustration, the cat-man glanced around the now mostly quiet scene and realized he was the only one of the originally three groups in the fight still facing the two superheroes.

So, he did what one might expect, he turned away and ran from the courtyard, heading down an alleyway and then turning left onto a street and disappearing from sight.  Of course, as fast as he might have been, to Jubatus, the cat-man was no faster than a car, or in other words rather slow.  Neospell once again saw the trail of magic that the cat-man left behind.

The white clad hero also noticed how the magic surrounding the cat-man he had just rendered unconscious began to fade and then disappeared altogether.  The figure was now just a young man in his late teens who appeared to be of Jamaican descent.

The one conscious gang member was still struggling against the duct tape binding him, but with little avail. 

Jubatus glared at the fleeing cat-boy, then said to the Man In White, "I don't leave loose ends if I can help it. I'm gonna nail cat-boy; you can join me if you like, or stay here and make sure all of these guys stick around until the cops show." And with those words, the Fastest Cat Alive zipped off in his customary blur, not bothering to wait for the human's reply.

Jubatus' top speed being roughly two orders of magnitude higher than cat-boy's, it was a foregone conclusion that he'd catch up to the criminal without any difficulty whatsoever. Okay, diplomacy was as effective as it usually is. Yay for ultraviolence. Jube's claws slashed at cat-boy… and slid harmlessly off of cat-boy's jacket. Well, xxix. I have got to get some combat training…

Edited by Cubist

Neospell blinked and sighed. "Alright then cheetah guy, I'll keep an eye on them..." He looks around and walks over to the guy struggling to rip apart the duct tape he's tangled in and ahems loudly. "I wouldn't try anything if I was you, really. I just took down two cat guys who were making a mess of your friends," he leans on the side of a car to rest a bit, "now then, what the heck just happened here?" Neospell goes for his cellphone as he waits for a response... but it's under the pants of his costume, safe in his the pocket of his jeans and he doesn't want to go out of costume just to grab his phone. "And do you have a phone on you? I need to call an ambulance or two for all of your friends who are bleeding out right now."

Edited by ChrisClark13

GM

As the mystically enhanced young man manages to avoid any ill effects from Jubatus' attack, he turns to face the humanoid cheetah, a growl escaping from his throat as he did so.  His claws slash out at the speedster hero, who easily avoids what appears to him as a slow moving attack.  However, the cat-man does not seem intent on running now, as he stands his ground with the hero.

Not too far away, Neospell approached the sole conscious gang member, who was still struggling with his bonds.  The young African American raised his pistol, his hand shaking considerably as he tried to hold the weapon steady.  But he considers that white clad figures words and then drops the weapon, his face showing a look of defeat.

"Me and my bros were getting a supply of weed to sell."  He began.  "Then these ****ing strung out or whatever Jamaicans show up and start attacking us and our suppliers."  He then shook his head when asked if he had a phone on him.

The semi-feline thug slashed—

Upshift

Idiot cat-boy, Jubatus thought as he moseyed around the thug's dangerous-at-normal-speed claws. Either he didn't do his homework on me, or he thinks he's got a prayer of tagging someone who can go hypersonic under his own power. Either way: "What a maroon."

Not quite as careful to avoid causing harm as was his custom, the feline speedster levered the thug's arms into position and duct-taped his wrists together behind him, followed by a second strip of duct-tape to bind the thug's elbows together, and finally taped the thugs' ankles to his wrists. There. Let's see you—

Downshift

—get out of that, xxxxnose. Fortunately for Jubatus' mood, the maybe-Jamaican thug didn't manage to escape his bindings. Good. "I'll make you a deal, cat-boy: You don't do anything stupid, like try to escape custody, and I won't riddle you with a volley of 19-millimeter steel nuts with a 2-digit Mach number."

Cat-boy didn't make any overt response, not with words or hostile moves, so Jubatus counted that as acquiescence.

Upshift

Jube carried cat-boy back to the site of the battle and placed him on the pavement, then looked over the neutralized gang-bangers. Hmm. Don't like how those two are looking. Let's assume Mr. White here just doesn't know first aid, as opposed to him choosing to let ’em bleed out. And ​those look like their duct-tape could use a little reinforcement… Ehh. I might as well give all the intact thugs a fresh 'coat' of 'paint'. And that's what the cheetah did—

Downshift

—just before turning his attention to the criminals who were in dire need of medical attention. Since every clock-second counted, Jubatus fished a cell-phone out of one vest-pocket and laid it down on the asphalt, saying, "If you haven't already summoned the paramedics, use this." Then the feline got to work.

By no coincidence whatsoever, Jube's Vest Of Many Things contained exactly the right tools and supplies to prevent humans from bleeding out, and he put those tools and supplies to excellent use now. And when he was satisfied that the gang-bangers were, in fact, not in imminent danger of dying, only then did Jubatus give 'Mr. White' his full attention.

"My name's Jubatus. I'm faster than you are," he said to the man in white. "Who are you, what's your schtick, and what's the ee-tee-ay on the ambulances?"

Edited by Cubist
  • 2 weeks later...

Neospell fumbled slightly in his lunge to grab the cellphone as the cheetah started patching up the gangsters, he sighs in relief since his plan was just to call the ambulance and let them handle the guys who are bleeding out. He quickly shot a look to the last standing gangster before dialing 911, "Don't try anything got it? I'm trying to help your buddies here."

Neospell listened to the automated message and pressed a button on the phone. "Okay, I've got about... twelve... fourteen gang members here that got all got into a big fight I just broke up..... Alright, I'm at..." he looks around for a street sign real quick and finds one, "Georgia and 19th.... okay..... there's around twelve gang members who are in need of medical attention yes," just then the cheetah walks up to him and asks-barks more like-him a question, Neospell holds up his hand in return, trying to signal the bipedal cheetah to wait. "Ah yes I was doing Hero work over here, alright. I'll call that number next time..... thanks, how long until the ambulances get here? Thanks.... okay.... uhuh.... yeah I'm new... okay, bye."

Neospell closes the phone and turns his attention to Jubatus, "Ah, the ambulances will get here in about 15 minutes. You can call me... Neospell, yeah." He inhales and exhales sharply, the scene around him just starting to catch up to him now that the adrenaline is starting to wear off, "I do magic, rune magic. I use, used it, to create this suit and my weapons among other magical items.... I needa sit down," he walks over to the gang member still in the tape, "But first, the guy on the phone I need to make sure everyone's disarmed before the police get here. So I'm going to be needing that gun." He then picks up the gun, takes the clip out, and then pulls the top of it back and turns the gun upside down to let the bullet out of the chamber; all while pointing it at the ground of course.

Edited by ChrisClark13

While administering rudimentary medical care to the gang-bangers who most needed it, Jubatus spared a small piece of his attention for the guy in white. If Jube got blindsided by a hostile-in-hero's-clothing, that would do the wounded no good whatsoever… but in this case, as in so many others, the cheetah's habitual overcaution proved to be unnecessary. For one thing, Mr. White was taking this opportunity to summon paramedics. Good, good. Some mis-steps in the call, which confirm that he's a noob, but he's learning from them. Could be a lot worse.

Neospell closes the phone and turns his attention to Jubatus, "Ah, the ambulances will get here in about 15 minutes. You can call me... Neospell, yeah." He inhales and exhales sharply, the scene around him just starting to catch up to him now that the adrenaline is starting to wear off, "I do magic, rune magic. I use, used it, to create this suit and my weapons among other magical items.... I needa sit down,"

The feline's sensitive nose detected fatigue poisons, and some distinctive metabolic by-products, in Neospell's scent. He sure is tired. Good that he can recognize and admit it, not so good that he's unprepared for something that blatantly foreseeable. And five'll get you 500 he's coming down off an adrenaline rush. Jubatus pulled a small can from his Vest of Many Things; looked at its label; put it back; and finally extracted a can of Red Bull. "Here. You look like you could use this," he said as he offered it to Neospell. "For future reference, you'll probably want to tweak your costume. Pockets are good." A swift gesture with Jube's other forepaw drew attention to his fully-loaded vest. "Or pouches and military webbing, if you can secure 'em properly." Now that the smoke's cleared, we better stick around. At least until the EMTs arrive, anyway. What to do in the meantime… warn him about the very real dangers of magic? Yeah, right. Either he already knows, and he's using the stuff anyway, or he's too damn stupid to heed sensible advice. Either way, no point to it. Okay, fine: Get him talking about himself. "So…  how'd you decide to get into the business, Neospell?"

Edited by Cubist
  • 2 weeks later...

Neospell grabs the can, "Thanks." He stands still for a few moments before feeling his mask with his fingers. "And maybe a better face covering, I can't drink anything without turning the whole costume off and... yeah no pockets. Here." He sighs and hands the can back. 

Neospell then takes a seat on one of the car's hoods, "The opportunity basically just fell into my lap one day, I thought it whole be a terrible waste to just pass it up... and I'm still trying it out actually. If this doesn't work out I think I have a job I can fall back on, maybe I could even make magical things for other people eventually, though I've not figured that part out yet.... and that's about it.

How'd you get into the heroing business?"

Edited by ChrisClark13