Blodeuwedd just rolled her eyes and continued scowling at Madame Vapeur.

“Typical men she flashes some cleavage and you stop thinking with your brain. Did you both forget that she tries to kill us all?â€

Madame Vapeur just gave another winning smile, which seemed to infuriate Blodeuwedd even more.

“I wouldn’t have let you, or my servant’s to get hurt.†She then turned her attention fully to Lord Steam “I can honestly say that I’m not going to steal anything from that room, maybe borrow a thing or two. Beside I prefer Art Deco styling’s to all that Victoriana.â€

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I consider the terms Art Deco and style mutually exclusive" said Steam, sneering and putting his thumbs in his lapels to hang his elbows off. 

"But again, Madam, I fear you twist words. Steal, for instance, is such an ugly word. Borrow of course requires permission. And then there is the matter of that room, indicating you do not limit yourself to anything that is outside of it..."

"For instance, you could arrange for an item to accidentally fall out of that room, and then steal it...." he said, wondering if he had just given her an idea. 

He still wiggled his eyebrows at the demonstration of his cunning. 

It is a good thing I am not a thief!

"Can't speak for Mr. Lockwood, but I'm not staring at her chest." Subito snapped with a glance at his schoolmate, her remark cutting a lot deeper than it might have from somebody else.

Inspecting the other articles in the room he went on quietly and intensely "And no, I haven't forgotten about how she tried to kill us, but the more attention we pay to her the less  we've got for whatever her plan is, right? I mean," the muscular Puerto Rican schoolboy jerked a thumb over at the pair engrossed in their verbal duel "She's after him, right? She wants t'be girl-Moriarty to Steam's Holmes? S'what I got from her big crazy speech before she blew everythin' up. So what are we supposed to do 'sides keep watch?"

He wandered over to the Aether Gun, thinking carefully as he hearing swept the museum around them "She's an awful, cruel, selfish person, and I'll make sure you punch her in the face first" he grinned over his shoulder before quickly looking serious again "but making faces won't do much good. Neither will looking, either, obviously" he rubbed his forehead a little "So...how 'bout we play it cool? Watch out for stuff besides her."

He looked at her fully "What else would she wanna take? The gun? She's after tech, right?"

Edited by Arichamus

Blodeuwedd gave a little smile and dropped her voice.

“She’s a egotist she expected me to be jealous and if I am it means she know’s what I’m thinking and hence I’m not a threat. I really good at reading people it’s something I’ve worked hard to excel at.“ in some it would be a boastful but Blodeuwedd presented it in a matter of fact manner.

“The gun’s nice, but it can’t be worth putting on a grand facade like this. Remember she want’s to outsmart Lord Steam it’ll be something grand and really clever.†she looked thoughtful for a second.

“What if she not going to steal something in the room, but instead she’s using the room to steal something?â€

Subito maintained his own smile as best he could, despite the same feeling of being in over his head going through him.

"Well at least one of us knows what they're doing." he said blandly, with a wink. Turning to look slowly around the room he frowned very slightly. What exactly could you steal with a room? And more to the point...how would you do that? His eyes rested on Cerys 'Wouldn't impress Lockwood if she just had some dudes burst in and steal stuff. And lurin' us here to capture him again? No way she'd do that twice...'

Suddenly it struck him that everything the thief wanted was in the room, and she had an airship. And airships could carry lots of stuff. 'Not bad Herald, now stop staring at the agent and start talking Gah! I-I didn't- Less apologies, more suggestions'

Hurriedly raising his head, Subito murmured "Hey, uh, Blodeu? What if she's just aimin' to snag everythin' with her airship? Preeeetty sure nobody'd expect that." He rolled his hazel eyes "An' it's flamboyant enough to suit her perfectly. Only problem is I'd pro'lly hear it by now...or it could be she's gonna use the diamond to run a current thingy to transfer stuff through the Ether, or somethin' else equally crazy that I have no idea 'bout.." He sighed irritably, running a hand through his hair and glancing shyly at Vapeur like he had before.

Edited by Arichamus

Madame Vapeur sipped at her champagne as if she didn’t have a care in the world.

“So you wish to discuss morals how exciting. As a fully payed trustee I’m allowed almost unlimited access, I could have taken those items any time I wanted. I even offered my services to help restore the artifact’s. I believe the trust contacted you about employing an expert in Victorian mechanic’s,  one Reni Aquila.â€

She gave a little head nod.

“At you service.â€

Her eye sparkled with excitement, she obviously thought she’d outsmarted them all.

“But here’s a conundrum for you Lord Lockwood if something truly doesn’t exist, like all that information that floats in the Aether, can it truly be stolen?â€

Lord Steam pondered the riddle for a moment. 

"If something does not truly exist?" he asked. "We debate philosophy rather than morals tonight, it seems. Well, it depends on your view on existence. Does an idea exist? Does a feeling, a poem, a love? There is plenty that can said to be insubstantial, untouchable, unmeasurable. And yet they can be stolen. Like a heart" he explained. 

"And yes, they can be stolen. For even such things, like my thoughts and my spirit, though immaterial, still belong to me. And stealing is taking without permission. On a mundane level, one could steal a copyright, but perhaps you need more dramatic a scene. You could steal me heart, if I would not share it with you willingly..."

Madame Vapeur sipped her Champagne a rather bemused look on her face, she then gave a little look at her rather expensive little watch.

“You know I’m almost disappointed in you Lord Lockwood, I thought you’d have this all figured out by now. I’m on a tight schedule so if you’d like to show that keen intellect of yours. UNless you are the brainless fop you make yourself out to be...â€

Whilst Subito tried to figure out the crime in the room Blodeuwedd was looking at the two statue’s that held the curtain separating the display from the party.

“You know I think these thing might be articulated. Why would you have two Art Deco statues in front of a very Victorian display?â€

He looked blank "Um...for a dramatic reveal? That's a good question though, they'd want the decor to fit with the exhibit. Nobody'd want an Egyptian coffin to be surrounded by graffiti." Stepping closer the suited boy inspected the suspicious statues, trying to make it look like the boy was just trying to stay next to Cerys.

"D'you think these are gonna...wait." his eyes widened "Cerys, Vapeur just said she likes Art Deco, and earlier some crap about stealin' stuff through the Aether. These must be part of her evil plan!"

In an instant the well-built boy had his hand over his heart, pulsing with invisible power "I can smash them in a second! But we need cover, you got anything?" he whispered hurriedly to his schoolmate, Subito having just enough presence of mind to appear to be whispering something very awkward in her ear.

"Now now, violence never achieved anything, by Vishnu!" said Lord Steam, wagging his finger at his impulsive companion without much threat or seriousness. 

He was deeply stung by the "brainless fop" jibe, however. He set his mind to overdrive. 

"I think what you are stealing, Madam, is nothing material. Not the diamond, not gold, nor silver. What you are after, is information. Knowledge is power, after all. Secrets" he said, a smile on his lips full of warmth. She really was a diamond herself...

"This marvellous calculating machine. This etheric telegraph. Full of it. What lies within those coils and bolts and carefully arranged differences in potential energy? what code to be cracked? what wisdom to transmit, or receive?"

"And what of these incongruous statues? with articulated joints? what need has a statue for these? but I wonder - what lies beneath the gaudy surface hmm? more wheels, more cogs? a programmable automaton, perhaps?"

"Am I warm, shall I get warmer?" he asked. 

Madame Vapeurs eye’s sparkled and gave a broad smile, giving a little clap.

“It’s such a primitive machine all it can do is arithmetic. Nothing compared to the wondrous computation machine of this world.†she breezed past the other two heros and patted the Differential Engine, which clattered into life making a sound not unlike a very angry clock.

“But it can tell one of it’s more advanced colleagues to increase a certain figure by an amount. Rather a lot as it happens. The statues are rather more complex, and all my own work, and are here to protect these precious device’s.â€

She stood under the mock fireplace looking rather pleased with herself.

Edited by TiffanyKorta

"Money then?" asked Lord Steam. 

"I thought you had more style than just money. Although I can see you are a women who likes to keep herself in luxury" he snorted. 

He gazed at the Art Deco statues. 

"Although then again, maybe I spoke to soon when it came to you and style" he conceded. 

Spinning around, he pointed his cane at her. 

"So, is that it? you tell a bank computer to double your money? or triple it? why stop there?" he asked. 

"And why do you think we are going to let you waltz away in your delicious manner, happy to have outwitted us?"

• 3 weeks later...

“Each second the machine gives the banking a machine a number to add to the account, I believe it’s quite large. The money’s not really that important remember I can travel through dimension. There’s a Earth where mankind never evolved where you walk down a beach in South Africa and scoop up diamonds the size of my fist.â€

She waved her arms and the two Art Deco statue’s silently sprang to life raising to their full height from a crouched position. A murmur began to rumble through the crowd and people began to watch the area, a little uncertain if this was all part of the nights activity.

“I think I shall donate some of it to a good cause. Maybe to the FCPD benevolence fund?†she was being whimsical but seemed genuine in her intention “And feel free to try and stop my plans, but I’m afraid I’m one step ahead of you.†she sighed and gave a little frown “As normal it appears.â€

Edited by TiffanyKorta

Subtio looked utterly furious "Seriously? You make this big deal about how you're a crime genius and we can't stop ya from gettin' the diamond, and this is your awesome plan?" 'It certainly fooled you, Herald, if your anger is any sign She fooled Lockwood too! He had a great deal more distracting him, though that Agent seems to have a similar effect on you ...Fine, whatever. Think I have a chance wi-? AHEM Alright! Clean thoughts, clear mind, keep your shirt on Dama'

Turning to Blodeuwedd he said very quietly "Blodeu, please punch her in the face. I'll deal with the robots." As he spoke he tossed his hat onto the Aether gun and rolled up his sleeves, dropping into a boxing stance and getting ready to fight!

Edited by Arichamus
  • 2 weeks later...

Blodeuwedd gave one of her tight little smile, the kind she normally reserved for causing trouble.

“I’ll take great pleasure in do so.â€

She took a few steps forward and swung a solid blow that would normally would have connected a solid blow. Instead the blow went straight through Madame Vapeur momentarily putting Blodeuwedd off balance.

“Whilst I have a fondness for technology of old I’m not blind to the technology of the future. This is thank’s to the world I left first a solid hologram. I’m afraid I can’t assist my mechanical defender, but i can at least offer you the wisdom of all my years.â€

Edited by TiffanyKorta

"That's another neat trick..." said an irritated Lord Steam. 

"Confound that ladies..brilliance! she will be the ruin of me!" he smiled. "But is invigorating to finally have someone worthy to pitch my wits against! even if she is a woman!"

He flipped his cane up to his hand. 

"Now, let's see what these simulacrum are made of shall we? rather well constructed, I will concede! lets put their engineering to the test, shall we?" he said, taking a few steps back, looking for an opening and giving none, before whipping the tip of the cane forward and then round, to test that very engineering. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lord Steam cane struck the giant bronze robot with a resounding clunk, it sounded like the majority of the robot was hollow.

“I built them both myself, there quite advanced if I say so myself.†Madame Vapeur put her hand to her chest modestly, but sounded anything like she was. “I call that one Oswald and that one Oscar, you can I hope see the likeness.â€

The blank face of Oswald turned it’s attention to Lord Steam and struck down with it’s massive fists, more than twice Lord Steams own size, catching the Steampunk hero with a resounding blow.

"OOooof!" responded Lord Steam, as the metal Fist caught him in the Sternum. 

He staggered back a few steps and dropped to his knees. His eyes crossed in pain. 

"I say chaps..." he wheezed with great effort, his face blue with effort and hypoxia "these fellows really do have a remarkable grasp of pugilism..." he hissed, his chest making sucking sounds as he fought to stay conscious and breathing. 

He focussed on gripping his Cane through suddenly sweaty palms in order to stop himself from falling over. 

"and I am reminded of the tensile strength of metal...*huuuuck huuuck* most resilient in the armour department...who would have guessed? *huuuck huuuck*" came the wheezing mimicry of laughter from his poor puffed cheeks. 

"oh dear the really did cause me quite considerable pain...." he whispered to himself. 

"Well get you for this, MADAME VAPEUR!" Subito thundered, eyes blazing at how once again the slippery woman had outmaneuvered them. Tossing off the suit jacket, he was about to transform when Lord Steam leaped into the fray against the two Art Deco robots, opening his mouth to yell encouragement but only getting out "Go for it Lord-!" before Oswald('Wait, is that one Oswald or Oscar...what the hell am I thinking, there's no time for that!') smashed aside the unfortunate steampunk detective!

Slamming has hand over his heart, Subito closed his eyes 'O Dama Azul, lend me your power! It is granted! Go forth my Herald!' and opened them with a flare of golden light! A fog smelling like sea air descended upon him and swirled about the young national spirit-bearer, streaming away into nothing to reveal the vividly-clad El Heraldo! Brandishing the Bandera de la Victoria streaming with the flag of Puerto Rico, he shouted to the other people in the exhibit "Go! We shall defend you!"

Clenching his red-gloved fist, the teen paragon glared at the extradimensional thief, then to her minion as he suddenly shot forward across the exhibit floor, drawing his fist back and summoning up a halo of gold and blue light before he drove it into the side of the robot with the force of a jackhammer, swinging the arm across the robot's well-proportioned chest as he whipped into a position to shield the dizzy and winded Lord Steam.

Oswald exploded in a shower of circuits and other unidentifiable parts, it was hard to tell even to the quality of the hologram but Madame Vapeur didn’t seem overly bothered with her creations destruction.

“Hum it seems that there may be some room for improvement with my robots, let’s see how Oscar does shall we?â€

As she spoke Oscar had worked himself to a position behind El Heraldo and struck him with his massive hand catching the hero square in the back. The silent manner of their movement and there unmoving features were a little unnerving to say the least.

Blodeuwedd recovered quickly from her attack on holographic Madame Vapeur, spinning around to view the two robot’s.

“I guess we’ll have to deal with you later Madame. But for now we’ll have to deal with your little toy’s.â€

She turned her spinning motion into a roll coming up beside Oscar and striking a solid blow on the robot’s leg. Only for Dyrnwyn to bounce harmlessly off it’s golden bronze skin.

“Oh dear I guess it’s not your day. Maybe you should leave this all to the adults.†tautened madame Vapeur with a sparkling little laugh.

Blodeuwedd didn’t reply but her narrowed eye’s suggested that she really wasn’t happy.

Edited by TiffanyKorta

The mighty punch of the anachronistic robot flung the young hero back head over heels across the exhibit, the patriotic paragon flipping elegantly back to his feet with a flourish of the Bandera, spinning it between his fingers with a cocky smirk and a fervent hope that Blodeuwedd had seen him do it. Seeing the Welsh monster hunter's sword glance off his smile vanished with a wince, and Madame Vapeur's taunt got her a cold glare.

"Big talk from somebody too scared to be here!" Subito challenged, hurling himself at the Oscar robot with a powerful kick straight at its shoulder! Launching off from the automaton, he landed and readied himself to defend the frazzled steam detective, the flag held loosely in his hands, knees bent and shoulders tensed for action. "Don't let her get to you Blodeu, we must keep our heads in the game!" he called earnestly over to the girl.

'Did you see how she did that flip?! So cool... Herald, if you get lovelorn over this girl... Dama Azul, come on, were all the other dudes you've worked with celibate? They were all women and not really, if you mother is any evidence. Still, clean thoughts!'

Edited by Arichamus

Oscar seemed to be a little more solid than his fellow robot and managed to to shrug off El Heraldo’s blow, though his bronze skin did some a few dent’s.

“Well at least I’m here in spirit, I wouldn’t want to miss all this fun.†Madame Vapeur gave a little clap

“Can no one shut her up?†Blodeuwedd words came out as a little growl

Her irritation at Madame Vapeur didn’t seem to affect her abilities as she did, a slightly less impressive than before, step feint and blow on Oscar which also managed to scratch his skin.

RIght then...

Lord Steam straightened up with some difficulty and took another two steps back, staggering. Whilst his chest roared in protest, he was still in the game. The metal contraption seemed to have ignored him, considering him out of the game. 

Ignoring the pain of what he presumed was a cracked rib, he hopped onto a display with an impressive display of agility, and then leapt into the air, coming down with his cane in both hands, aiming straight for the head of the thing. 

CRACK!

As he came down, his arms whipped the cane straight onto the Robot, driving the metal shod tip with full force into the Robot. The cane itself snapped cleanly in the middle. 

"Oh dear" he muttered, landing on his feet and examining his broken half of cane. "That was a fine piece of oak, you know!" he lamented. 

• 2 weeks later...

The end of Lord Steams cane seemed sail through the air in almost slow motion before bouncing on the ground one, two and then three times. ON it’s third bounce it was joined by the massive thump of the robot’s head striking the ground. Then silence again descended on the museum.

Madame Vapeur only seemed slightly perturbed as if she’d lost a overdue library book.

“It seems that my poor robot’s were no match for you all. Luckily however they seemed to have done their job.â€

The differential engine it seemed was now quiet and had been done so for a minute or so.

“At this juncture I must bid you goodbye.â€

The Hologram began to fade away into nothing.