Question on Teleport

Nyrath

While in the process of working on a new character (PL 6) I stumbled upon a problem with how to turn a power as a concept into stats. I've got a couple of ideas of how to get what I intended, or at least close enough, but I would like to know what the, for this board, official stance happens to be.

Now, the power itself.

The Concept: Upon death (or the very close proximity of it = dying) the character is teleported away to a safe place (in this case a previously prepared summoning circle) where the character simply lies until resurrection kicks in from Regeneration.

The Stats: I've found four ways I can make it work, with varying degrees of cost, splitting up into two groups. I'll include the projected cost for what I need (minimum) for the power to work as intended.

1a: Simply using Teleport with the Anchor and Long-range flaws, along with Triggered and possibly a flaw limiting it to only triggered.

This one's the cheapest and probably simplest way.

= At either 2ranks/ppt or 3ranks/ppt plus a power feat this comes in at either 5 or 4pts. As an added bonus I could have Wilhelm perform pretty much the same trick using his high Spatial Control along with Triggered.

1b: As above, but with adding in a new extra called (for example) Dead Man's Switch, just in case anyone objects a power kicking in at death. Slightly more expensive, but still manageable.

= either 8 or 5 points, still manageable within my budget.

2a: Teleport, Anchor [-1 Flaw], Long-range [-1 Flaw], Action: Reaction (Death/Dying) [+4 Extra]... as you can see this ones horribly expensive coming in at 4ppts/rank for a power which isn't actually all that much. Its only real plus is that it's pretty much indisputably legal.

= A horrendous 28pts, almost a third of my entire character budget and way above the meager 10pts I've still got to toss around.

2b: Teleport, Triggered, Triggered Only [-1 Flaw], Dead Man's Switch [+1 Extra]. This version assumes that I'd only take one or two, possibly three, ranks, sets the Trigger condition to be Death and with a preset final destination for a series of hops my poor body would have to take. This is possibly fairly cheap, but dubious and not quite what I have in mind.

= 3pts and up, adding 2pts per rank.

So, what say the Powers That Be?

While in the process of working on a new character (PL 6) I stumbled upon a problem with how to turn a power as a concept into stats. I've got a couple of ideas of how to get what I intended, or at least close enough, but I would like to know what the, for this board, official stance happens to be.

Now, the power itself.

The Concept: Upon death (or the very close proximity of it = dying) the character is teleported away to a safe place (in this case a previously prepared summoning circle) where the character simply lies until resurrection kicks in from Regeneration.

The Stats: I've found four ways I can make it work, with varying degrees of cost, splitting up into two groups. I'll include the projected cost for what I need (minimum) for the power to work as intended.

1a: Simply using Teleport with the Anchor and Long-range flaws, along with Triggered and possibly a flaw limiting it to only triggered.

This one's the cheapest and probably simplest way.

= At either 2ranks/ppt or 3ranks/ppt plus a power feat this comes in at either 5 or 4pts. As an added bonus I could have Wilhelm perform pretty much the same trick using his high Spatial Control along with Triggered.

1b: As above, but with adding in a new extra called (for example) Dead Man's Switch, just in case anyone objects a power kicking in at death. Slightly more expensive, but still manageable.

= either 8 or 5 points, still manageable within my budget.

2a: Teleport, Anchor [-1 Flaw], Long-range [-1 Flaw], Action: Reaction (Death/Dying) [+4 Extra]... as you can see this ones horribly expensive coming in at 4ppts/rank for a power which isn't actually all that much. Its only real plus is that it's pretty much indisputably legal.

= A horrendous 28pts, almost a third of my entire character budget and way above the meager 10pts I've still got to toss around.

2b: Teleport, Triggered, Triggered Only [-1 Flaw], Dead Man's Switch [+1 Extra]. This version assumes that I'd only take one or two, possibly three, ranks, sets the Trigger condition to be Death and with a preset final destination for a series of hops my poor body would have to take. This is possibly fairly cheap, but dubious and not quite what I have in mind.

= 3pts and up, adding 2pts per rank.

So, what say the Powers That Be?

Well, character death isn't really something that we deal with a lot here, (it's fairly four-color, non-lethal attacks) but I can understand why you'd want to have a backup plan, if only to point to it and say, "Ha ha, it doesn't matter if you kill me, I'll simply come back later to haunt you again!" :)

That said, I would be fine with the first option. Triggered does not specifically say you need to be able to take an action in order to have it go off, and what you're talking about would happen so rarely (hopefully) and shouldn't disrupt play balance in any way. So unless anyone says different, I think you can go ahead and put that in.

Well, character death isn't really something that we deal with a lot here, (it's fairly four-color, non-lethal attacks) but I can understand why you'd want to have a backup plan, if only to point to it and say, "Ha ha, it doesn't matter if you kill me, I'll simply come back later to haunt you again!" :)

That said, I would be fine with the first option. Triggered does not specifically say you need to be able to take an action in order to have it go off, and what you're talking about would happen so rarely (hopefully) and shouldn't disrupt play balance in any way. So unless anyone says different, I think you can go ahead and put that in.

That's fine with me. In fact, it is probably going to happen so infrequently (is never "infrequently"? :D ), you may want to just buy a rank of Luck to Alt Power your teleport power when (if?) it is ever needed.

That's fine with me. In fact, it is probably going to happen so infrequently (is never "infrequently"? :D ), you may want to just buy a rank of Luck to Alt Power your teleport power when (if?) it is ever needed.