We're Still Here (IC)

Ari

Kat cringed a little at the comparison to Darren. But still . . . "He'd say that; probably has a small fleet of private cars in a garage somewhere. No one takes a bus cause they enjoy it," she said, tucking her arms behind her head. "It's just a cheap way to get from place to place without worrying about driving." Which was never a problem for Kat.

"Um . . . No. I haven't asked anyone." God, Subito's skull was so thick. Kat was smiling a little at him. She felt like she was full of water, head to toe, and little ripples were running through her body, like a still pond in rainfall. Kat took a breathed in once, twice. She put her hands on her hips and raised an eyebrow. "I like you, you numbskull. Really like you."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh."

Subito gently rubbed his forehead at that, looking for a moment almost stricken. Taking a deep breath he looked back over at Kat "Why-y'know, that won't do any good, forget it." He trudged on for a few steps, deep in thought

'This is what you were talking about? Yes Great. I appreciate your openness and ability to tell me stuff before awkward &#^@ happens'

Aloud he said with a slightly grim smile "Where do you wanna go with that, Katch? I'm already somebody's boyfriend, and while you're awesome, and I do like to be with ya, I like Cerys a lot."

Passing a hand over his face he wondered briefly whay the chances of this ending well were 'Let's go with not good' "Kat, I'm sorry, but right now I don't think we can go anywhere with those kinda feelings." he shrugged, and smiled warmly again "Plenty of other stuff t'do though!"

That was more or less the answer Kat had expected. She had expected it to feel worse, though. First time she'd asked a boy and he'd turned her down, it'd been like a kick in the teeth. She had expected this to be about the same, but it wasn't. Mostly, she just felt relieved. "S'alright." Kat said, feeling calm despite her shaking knees. "I'm not expecting anything like that. Just wanted to clear the air. Just felt like a sneak, not saying it. Did you really not notice?" Kat turned toward him, raising an eyebrow. "I thought Cerys would've told you, at least."

"Thanks Kat.I know I wouldn't be as cool if we switched places." Her schoolmate said quietly. As they breasted the hill and reached their stop Subito idly leaned her against him to share his warmth, confessing "And no, didn't have any idea you felt like that 'bout me. Usually when folks wanna spend time with me or talk to me about stuff they aren't..you know, 'interested'. Mostly they do it 'cause I'm such an awesome guy!" Squinting at the bus stop's schedule placard, the powerfully-built teen studied it for a second and then grinned. Stepping back he nodded to Kat "About three minutes. Anyway, Cerys didn't mention anything 'cause..." he shrugged expressively, leaning his shoulder against the gold-colored pole "I guess crushes girls have on me isn't something she wants to talk about? Blodeu gets pretty grumpy about that kinda stuff." sighing quietly he scanned the city below for any sign of their ride, suddenly turning back to Kat with an excited look "I know! We could go on one of those sneak-off thingys to the Midnight Hour! Whaddaya think? Dancing, great drinks, it could be a fun little reward for studying good!" he said with a gleeful smile.

The distant silver-blue glint of a bus swung into view below, cruising up towards the stop, halting in a rush of  snow and steam from the deflating tires. As it leaned down the door slid open invitingly, letting out some of the warm air from inside.

Kat snorted, shook her head in quiet disbelief and slipped her hands into her pockets as Subito drew her into another of his chaste hugs, allowing herself a glance up and a smile as he did. "Really? Did the 'I know, I know body language, I'm cool with it' not tip you off?" Kat raised an eyebrow and put a hand on her waist. "I knew she knew because of you. You were her messanger boy."

Warp stepped away as she saw the bus round the corner and straightened her coat, huddling a little deeper into into its warmth. "Sneak-out-things?" Kat rolled her eyes, but she was smiling as she did. "I'd be up for it, as long as you promise not to do anything too embarrassing."

"I'm pretty sure it's not pronounced like that" Subito replied evenly as he followed Kat on board the bus. Feeding a token into the cashbox he sat down next to his schoolmate, adding with a trace of irritation "And no, I thought she meant, like, 'I'm fine with it if you two do friend stuff without me'" he blushed a little "I guess I better start thinking that way."

His bright eyes darted over at Kat suddenly, and the Hispanic teen added with an indignant look "And what do you mean, 'anything too embarrassing'? When have I not been the height of seriousness and dignity, Katcha?" Subito slumped moodily into his seat, crossing a powerful leg over his knee with a slight pout. The grin that he was busily fighting back belied it though.

"So...you got any performances comin' up?" the muscular boy asked casually.

Kat did not even dignify Subito's protests with a response, just rolled her eyes and took a seat next to Subito, where she had to scoot over to make room once he crossed his knee. "Nothing recent," she said. "I've got my lines down to pat but there are a bunch who still forget them during the rehearsals. The costume doesn't doesn't fit me, so we've gotta get it refit to my measurements . . . It's early in the process, and it's a new play." She shrugged. "It's always a mess getting it started. But we'll get our stuff together by the first dress rehearsal, or the director will blow his top." Kat smiled at the image in her mind and shook her head.

Subito cheerfully tossed an arm around Kat's shoulders "You'll do a great job! And if you want help whipping your co-stars into shape, you know we'll be glad to help." he smiled affectionately at his friend, making who 'we' were quite obvious. For all that wasn'tl likely to happen. The muscular boy doffed his hat and raised an eyebrow with amusement "Seriously? You still have problems with that? The power to unmake at will, traverse leagues with a thought, and wield absolute mastery over a dimension...and your costumes don't fit." Subito shook his head with a mock frown "I think you might wanna trade your powers in, Katlatl! "

Leaning his head idly back against the window, he added "What's the play? I haven't been to one of yours, I should fix that!" He grinned at her "Still kickin' myself for not seeing that one about those British sisters and the ghost, sounds like it was awesome!"

Kat blew a strand of hair out of her eyes and gave Subito a dubious look. "Unless they're going for the apocolyptic look, I don't think I would be much help. I'm still small. 'Sides, what'd they call me?" She held her hand over her eyes in mimed vigulance. "Look! There in the sky! It's a bird, it's a plane, it's the Tailor!" She lowered her hands and shook her head. "I'll take what I am, thanks."

She took a moment to adjust uncomfortably in her seat. "Can you punch ghosts?" Kat said. "It's a lot more fun if you can punch ghosts. They haven't even whispered of bringing that one back, afraid the Silver Scream is haunting it." A shift, a shrug. "We're doing Into the Woods next." She gave him a smile. "I'm playing Red Riding Hood."

Edited by Freely Seek

Subito laughed uproariously, getting a sharp look from the driver and nearby passengers "I would read the heck outta that comic Kat! But seriously, I know what you mean." the muscular boy added ruefully "My sister n 'me had a problem like that. Not a lotta places stock in her size of 'statuesque and muscular'. And anyway, you won't stay small forever! 'specially not with your regimen." he added cheerfully.

The question of him and ghost-punching got a shrug "Yeah I can do that. Not the best ghost-puncher, but I'm pretty good. Lemme know if they're thinkin' of doing any more performances of that one and I'll be on hand! Silver Scream will rue the day she messed with..the Shade" he intoned in a sepulchral voice that he ruined by beaming happily as he said it. "And I will pay full price to see you as Red Riding Hood Kat" he added gleefully "You'll be glorious. I'll bring our pals too!"

He glanced out at the darkening hill whipping past "What's your favorite play? To be in, I mean" he clarified swiftly "Mr. Kuzin, the drama teacher, he's  lookin' for suggestions of what play to put on for Spring! And I'm thinkin' of trying out for it" Subito nestled against the chair, the picture of ease.

"Muscles can't change bone structure, Big and Tall." Kat shot back. "No matter how you train." Kat did not share Subito's optimism. Her growth had slowed considerably; puberty seemed mostly content with the scale of her, spending its time filling out the detail work instead. An inch or two was the best Kat let herself hope for.

Kat crossed her arms and made a face. "School plays." She said, treating the word like a landmine. Crap pulled from the public domain or written by someone's cousin performed by kids who wouldn't know acting if bit them on the ass. "That's nice," she said, carefully. "What I'd pick for this would be different than I'd jump on in my troupe. Usually school plays like that are more limited in what they can do, since they usually can't pay the licensing fee, and they've gotta recruit people from outside a drama background. I'd suggest something simple, easy to learn and do and manage. I'd have to think about it."

Edited by Freely Seek

"Just hang by your feet every day for a few years, you'll get a few inches no problem!" Subito replied blandly. Frowning suddenly he glanced over "Sorry Kat, this is a sore spot for ya and I'm bein' a jackass, I'll quit with the stupid jokes." He quietly withdrew his arm, and hunched forward a little.

"Well it's Mr. Kuzin, so it'll probably be somethin' Greek and super-old, and I want to save us from his ultimate threat: making us perform Sophocles." He shuddered in exaggerated horror. Kat's careful evasion apparently satisfied him, and the muscular boy shrugged blithely "Okay, probably best t'do research myself anyhow. We're at school, after all. Though some people keep forgettin' that." he rolled his eyes meaningfully at the lean mutant.

Watching the blue sky tinged with white at the horizon, he settled back against the seat and began whistling an old anthem softly to himself.

• 2 weeks later...

GM

The bus arrived at the Claremont Academy bus stop just as the sun had sunk below the horizon. Kat and Subito were dropped off with minimal pomp by the driver, who gave them a brusque "G'night" before the doors folded neatly shut, and he sped off into the deepening twilight with the rest of his sleepy passengers.

The gates were opened without delay for them, and soon the pair had trekked across the snow-dusted quad to the neat gravel path leading to their respective dorms. Parting quickly as they walked back to their rooms, darting up stairs and down wooden halls to reach their blessedly warm rooms and cozy beds, one fact rose to their minds before they drifted off to sleep, the evening's heroism having reminded both that for all the evils that had happened, they were still there. Still there to do what good could be done to make sure that evil would never truly win.