Life Moves Pretty Fast (IC)

Warp did her very best to smooth away the disgruntled shadow on her face and shrugged. "Can't blame you, really. It was a pretty creepy hole."

From there on it was pretty typical procedure; bad guy gets cuffed, exchange of stories, shaking hand that engulfed hers and big worried adult eyes watching for on high. Warp did her best to keep her smiles lighthearted and not let them see the fading chill that Snowblind had pushed in her bones. By the time it was done and they were no longer needed, Warp stood precariously on the edge of a rooftop, watching the police turn a corner and drive out of sight.

"Well," Warp stretched her arms overhead. "That got better." More 'thank yous' would be redundant at this point, she thought. Still, Warp turned and gave the veteran hero a soft grin that she hoped carried the sentiment.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Yeah, that did start out a little rough there."  Velocity replied with a grin.  "But sometimes you just got to stick with it, her luck, ran out in the end."

The older heroine then became slightly more serious.  "Don't let the attitudes of some of the police officers out there get to you Warp.  While some are rather resentful of us, in some ways they have reason to be.  On one hand, they are expected to try to do something about supervillains like that ice lady back there, even when there might not be anything they can do to stop them.  And then there are things they have to deal with day in and day out, often with very little in the way of help from anyone like us, things like child abuse, domestic violence, murders, and rapes.  Luckily most appreciate the help we do provide, even if they can be a little jumpy with us."

Warp bit down on her bottom lip and crossed her arms. "I guess I never thought about it that way." It was a little sobering to think about. It was hard for her to imagine dealing with all that death, the ugly underbelly of humanity every single day. No wonder they were a little bit jumpy. "I guess I could see why they would be." She took a precarious seat on the edge of the roof, feet swinging free. "They acted like they knew you, trusted you soon as you showed up. How long do you think it'll be until they know me too?"

"Well, I have been at this for more than six years."  Velocity replied with a grin.  "And was an active member of the Freedom League for over a year."

"But seriously, I think it will happen, it can just take a bit of time.  Especially if you don’t give them any reason to not trust you."
  The speedster then added.  "When I first started out, I tried to take a little time to talk with the officers when they showed up, particularly as I tended to only be in a few areas of the city back then.  When I got to be better known in the city, I started volunteering at fundraisers for some groups that raise money to help the families of officers killed or injured in the line of duty.  Little things like that can go a long way."

"It might." A shrug. "As long as they love Walsh as much as they do though, there they might not, whatever I do . . ." The police loved the senator. The senator hated anything that smelled even slightly of entropy, last Kat had checked. And if they senator believed a thing, they'd believe it too. That would be difficult to work around.

Warp squeezed at her sides at the mention of charity drives. "Yeah, they deserve that. Most of the people the robot killed in its second volley were officers." Kat looked over her shoulder back at Velocity, shoulders hunched. "You think they'll be holding a memorial for them? Maybe I should go."

"Congressman Walsh?"  Velocity asked as Warp mentioned him and how that could make things hard for her. "Well, seeing as his son public displayed powers the other day, it will be interesting to see if he changes his stance any."

As the teen brought up whether there would be any memorial service for the officers killed by at the Congressman’s rally, the older heroine nodded.  "I am sure there will be something for them.  If you like, I can talk with Captain Thunder and see if he can find out when it might be so I can let you know."  The speedster replied.  "If you do go, just be ready for the possibility your presence might not be appreciated.  If that happens, it would probably be best to just offer your condolences to their families, and make a quick, graceful exit."

Warp looked at the stars, tried to find an answer there. "Could be," she said, sounding thoughtful. "I dunno how far that got spread around. Far as I know . . ." Her expression twisted at the thought, but kept going. ". . . only the guy with the detector and everyone who was listening instead of running or . . . bleeding would be sure."

The absurdity of 'I can talk with Captain Thunder' was enough to throw Warp off a little, but the thought of being jeered out was enough to scare her back to attention. "I'd probably want to ask someone if I'd be welcome first, wouldn't I?" She said, wincing at the thought of accusing eyes. It wasn't just her; heroes were getting some flak. For not noticing the duplicates, for not stopping them before the damage was already done. "Maybe I'll wait for the animosity to left a little before trying anything like that."

Velocity shrugged slightly as Warp indicated she was not sure how widespread the news that Congressmen Walsh's son had superpowers would get.  "Well, you never know, some reporter somewhere could pick it up and run with it.  Might just take a little while."

"Asking ahead of time about whether you could attend is always a good way to go about it."  She then stated.  "Back on New Year's Eve, I spent twenty six hours running around the world to see the New Year arrive in twenty four different places.  Four of my stops were with US military personnel at various bases around the world.  I probably could have just show up, but I had Captain Thunder help clear my visits with the Pentagon beforehand."

The speedster nodded as Warp mentioned possibly letting things calm down some before she tried to do anything the help improve her image with the men and women of the FCPD.  "Yeah, it might be a good idea right now.  But, let me know if you at least want me to see what I can find out for you."

Warp nodded absently, the thought of jumping around the globe much less overwhelming than she would have found it a year ago. There wasn't a patch of ground on earth she knew about that Warp couldn't reach in half a minute's time. "I can see how that might've gone bad if you didn't tell first, yeah."

She pushed herself back up onto her feet on the rooftop's edge, turned toward Velocity and gripped an elbow behind her back. "You think we could do more patrols together?" Warp met Velocity's eyes and tilted her head a little to the side.

Velocity gave a little shrug as Warp mentioned how it might have been bad for her to just show up at some of the US military instillations the speedster had visited on New Year's Eve.  "It probably would have been fine, just made it a lot easier to just appear and join the various parties.  Though, I would not have been able to meet up with the aircraft carrier I visited in the Gulf of Aden without planning that ahead of time."

When the teen stood back up and asked about going on more patrols with her, the older heroine gave a warm smile.  "Of course, I would be happy to."  She replied, putting one hand on Warp's shoulder.  "And I know I have kinda sounded like a broken record with this, but I am also more than willing to listen whenever you might want to talk about anything.  Be it heroing, school, or just boys."

Kat's grin grew on side until it was a smirk, put both hands on her hips and said; "The rest I get just fine, but boys are weird." She let the joke pass into empty air, let the facade fall away. Kat bit on her lip for a long moment, staring up at Velocity. "But seriously . . ." She stepped forward and wrapped her arms around the older hero, every bit the small, vulerable child again but this time grateful, smiling and hugging tight. "That means a lot." she said, quietly, happy threatening to spill out of her eyes. And then, for the last time that night, "thank you so much."

Velocity ginned widely at Warp's joke about boys.  She was glad the teenager appeared to be feeling a bit better and not dwelling on the recent events as she had been before.  The speedster knew a lot of those emotions would likely be back by tomorrow, but she had a good feeling that Warp would head some of her advice and it would not be as bad. 

When the Warp stepped in and gave her a hug, the older heroine did not hesitate in returning the hug tightly.  "You're very welcome Warp."  Velocity replied.  "I'm glad to do as much as I can to help."