Noir: The Ace of Spades (IC)

Going with her backstage? Sure, why not. 'A better place to scheme than an open bar. Much more secluded' Roi thought, taking a lingering moment to give Agnes a suitable head-start before delicately extinguishing his own cigarette with his long tailor's fingers and depositing it in his coat pocket for later.

With a cheerful smile and a blithe "Bon nuit, monsieur barman" to Harry, Roi drained the last of his glass, slung his now much drier jacket over one shoulder and began to rise...only for Croak's hand to seize him in an unbreakable grip. Stopping and looking at the man in momentary confusion, he then smiled and patted the hand "Don't worry, Mr. Croak, I have no designs on Agnes." 'Well, no serious ones yet' "Besides," he added calmly while looking into the man's eyes "she invited me for a tour of your establishment's infrastructure. Now please remove your hand from me. Or would you prefer to upset the Wild Joker's star attraction?" He had no idea if that would work, but it was better than trying to pick a fight.

Edited by Arichamus
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sure, sure, like I let any old fool go backstage with the girls" whispered Croak in his usual voice. 

"I don't care if you have a wedding ring and a dozen red roses, pal. I don't care if you got a letter from Ms. Molly signed sealed and delivered. You ain't getting backstage without a word from Handsome Jack, the owner. And Handsome Jack, he ain't a particularly sociable person, you see?"

Handsome Jack was indeed the owner of the Wild Joker, and he was indeed a virtual recluse up on the top level of the club, barely venturing out, and always in a heavy mac and a few heavies. Nobody had ever seen him, except for a few old timers and a few old photographs. Handsome he had been - an old time silver screen actor whose looks had shone but inevitably faded. Some said he had seen some plastic surgeons and the result hadn't been to pretty. Whatever, now he had used his fortune to fund the Wild Joker and listen to blues all day long. Nobody knew what his connection with the mob was, if any. Some said he was in their pocket, some said they were in his, maybe both was true. 

Behind Roi, the hatchet loomed - tall and thin like a snake, flanked by some bricks in the shape of more conventional muscle. 

"You got a problem, Croak?" hissed the Hatchet, somehow imbuing his voice with poison. It was a mellow voice, of average pitch and timbre, but forced through teeth that imbued the sound with sulfur and menace. 

'Oh no'

This was far worse than he had thought would happen. Now he had the attention of Hatchet, and he definitely didn't want that. But how to get out from his gaze, how could he just waltz off and escape this kind of situation, how...

"No problem, monsieur" he said as levelly as he could manage, turning in the grip of Harry to face the hitman. Or at least look slightly above his eyes. "I was merely wishing to accompany the Angel Alla, she invited me backstage where she thought I might find a job." 'that is true, for certain values of "job"' Roi smiled "Mr. Croak tells me I would only be able to do this with permission from the owner, Handsome Jack. So therefore," he swung around and looked as carefree and innocent as he could "how may I see Handsome Jack, and get this passport?"

Agnes picked up her purse and opened it up to look inside, to the large revolver sitting on top of everything. It would be so easy to just use the thing to scare Molly, but she was just a burnt out star jealous of anyone more talented than herself. In other words she just wasn’t worth the effort.

“They say that passion burns in the blood of the Frenchman, all they need is a beautiful woman to kindle that flame. Not a woman that would smother the flame before they started.†She smiled sweetly at the other woman.

Whilst she waited for Roi she fixed her make-up. What was taking him so long?

GM

Backstage...

Molly seethed at Agnes' barbed words. "Honey, you better watch your step. I give a word in Handsome Jack's ear and something misunfortunate might happen to you, like it happened to your lover. You are the kiss of death, sweetheart, just good for sad songs and strong liquor. In fact, I better go warn that Frenchie about you..." she huffed, stung to the core. 

She theatrically turned, her dress whistling upwards and at Anges in a practised fashion, before storming out of the dressing room to...

Just outside the backstage...

Molly whisked away to just behind Roi's ear. 

"Hi there handsome" she purred, giving a look to the Hatchet and Croak. 

"Don't you mind these two boys" she said, giving a dainty palm around Roi's shoulder. "Ill give them a kiss and, well, maybe something more, and they will do as they are asked" she said giving a wink to the twosome. Croak responded with a blush and hint of anger, and the Hatchet responded with a cruel smile and curious gaze. 

"And Handsome Jack, well, he'll gladly see a man of initiative like yourself. Perhaps he'll even give you a job. If I put in a good word. Would you like me to put in a good word, sugar? Perhaps you could put a little flutter in my heart and on my lips..."

'...Pardoné? Is this how things are supposed to happen?' Roi was now totally off-balance, but this at least would get him out from under Croak and the Hatchet. Smiling as best as the young tailor could.given the tense situation, he got to his feet and put a companionable arm around his second savior's waist. "Madame, if you would be so kind as to put a good word in Handsome Jack's ear, I could hardly do less than give you something in return." he shuddered internally at where this was going, but saw few other ways out.

Hugging close to her side he added softly "Shall we go? And I'm sorry, but I believe you have me at a considerable disadvantage. My name is Roi, Roi Suvou, may I know you?"

'What happened to Agnes?' "Do you know Agnes Alla, by the way?" he asked idly.

Edited by Arichamus

Confident that Molly wouldn’t be a serious threat Agnes took a moment to touch up her make-up. SHe’d just have to trust that Roi would have enough sense about him to stay out of trouble.

Actually she wasn’t sure why now, when she was so close, she choose to delay the inevitable. Even without Roi help, and if he didn’t have enough moxie to get backstage then he was no use to her anyway, she had the means and opportunity to kill the man who took her loved one’s life.

Could it be that at the last minute she was having second thoughts?

Edited by TiffanyKorta

GM

"Never you mind about that tart, sugar!" smiled Molly with clenched teeth. "She ain't half the woman I am. Oh, how you speak! that French accent is so cute! it could send a girl's heart all a flutter!"

Molly nodded to the two heavies by the lift who parted for her with a smile. 

"Thanks guys, I owe you one. And I always pay!" she smiled as she entered the lift. As the doors shut, Roi could see the fury on Croaks face and the laughter on Hatchet's. 

Handsome Jacks Office was adorned with images of his silver screen past, along with various accolades and props from his films. It was hard to tell if the pistols and rapiers hung on the walls from his films Set the guns blazin' and The sharpest blade is to the heart were real or just props. 

Handsome Jack sat on a magnificent and large red leather chair, his back towards Molly and Roi. At his side of the office was a giant mirror, covering the entire wall. Roi could see the reflection of the entire room, himself and Molly included. 

And, with a crane of his neck, he could see Handsome Jack. He was dressed in a shirt and waistcoat, crisp like his pants, black like his shoes. 

The man didn't look his apparent fifty years. Not at all. Perhaps it was because he could only see Jack in the reflection, maybe it wasn't that clear. The man looked twenty years younger, in his prime. 

"Well, boy" he droned, a voice deep and moody, even sombre, but rich like an actors. "I don't see many people up here these days. And nobody gets to see me...hahahaha..." he cackled, a voice lacking sanity despite its thesbian tones. 

"Molly here, she got my back...hahahaha....I guess I can trust her. How about you, boy...?"

By now Roi Suvou was utterly confused and more than a little nervous. Who was this woman, how did she know him? Why did she seem so eager for his...affections? 'I'm not the pretty one!'

The young man put on a good show of being full of high spirits, chatty and almost bouncing with excitement at the company of Molly. Especially once he learned her name.

In reality the distant but kindly warmth of Agnes made the interloping(if helpful) woman all the more disagreeable. Roi inwardly vowed to get back to the Angel as soon as possible. To that Angel of Love and Death.

Stepping out of the lift with his tightly-coiled arm tucked closely around his guide, the dark Frenchman surveyed the office with quiet unease. This was a man who loved his glittering and fading past, it seemed.

Catching sight of the man who owned the Wild Jokers, Roi shuddered internally but broadened his smile. Bowing slightly he took a pace forward and responded "Monsieur Jack, my name is Roi. I do apologize for such a sudden arrival, but I was invited backstage by" he took a second to kiss Molly's hand "your star attraction, a Ms. Alla. It seems only you can, ah," he paused to recollect the right word "er...consequence? No, it is the word that means you make something, er, proper?" he shrugged and suddenly felt the growing sensation of heat around the collars that often comes from those small but lethal mistakes.

Gathering steam he went on eagerly "At any rate, she wished to discuss a possible employment I might have by her, and as I am just arrived I leap at the chance." smiling warmly he added "Molly here kindly offered to bring me to you when I was stopped by a..patron, and Mr. Croak." he glanced down at the floor like it was a dark mirror "Again, I am sorry to interrupt upon you with such a small matter"

'To you small, but to me and that Angel the greatest of all things: revenge!'

GM

"Ha ha" laughed Handsome Jack, his body convulsing. 

"Nothing is too small, or too big, for Handsome Jack!" he retorted, shaking his fist at the mirror, and by extention, Roi. 

"French are you?" he asked, presumably noticing Roi's accent. "New to Freedom City? Lost your way a bit, and hope to find it the arms of an angel?"

"You can see Angel, for sure. But then - then you owe me a favour. Handsome Jack has always got business to settle, you see? Handsome Jack has a touch of the black heart, like the sad angel and her sad songs. Handsome Jack might need a bit of new blood to settle old scores!"

'That was easier than I expected! Though I'll probably regret it' Roi pressed a hand to his chest and said earnestly "Thank you, sir. I will not forget this small kindness."

At the mention of his homeland he brightened "Yes, all that is true. I am sure you have some inkling what that is like. I will not forget the favor either." Bowing his head a little he repeated "Thank you, Handsome Jack."

With Molly at his side he returned to the floor level of the Wild Joker's wreathed in smiles. Pausing before they reached the floor he murmured "I'll see you soon" in her ear, and gently kissing her hand took his leave.

Arriving after a short search at the singer's dressing room he darted inside, shut the door firmly behind him, listened for a moment then quickly approached the Angel. Tossing his hat and coat onto a rack.

Leaning on the wall behind her he said quietly "I...met Handsome Jack, and a lady named Molly. I am sorry I took so long." he winced.

Agnes didn’t bother to look up at Roi as he entered and spoke continuing instead to touch up her makeup. Sometime it paid to keep someone waiting, it made sure the person knew who was in charge.

“I hope you didn’t have to make a deal with Jack, he’s as slippery as Old Nick and worse than that he’s in the pocket of the Mob.â€

She lit up a cigarette and blew out a long plume of smoke, on then did she finally she looked up a Roi and gave him a smile.

“So now that you’re here what do you think we should do with the problem or our mutual friend?â€

'Oh dear. I shouldn't-wait, if I'm dishonest about this, it will be far worse'

"I'm afraid I did, Ms. Alla" he replied glumly. Running a hand through his tightly-coiled hair he took a deep breath. "It was the only way to get here quickly, without causing even more trouble."

He shrugged "Hopefully we can figure a way out of anything he tries to pull." Looking up he watched Agnes' reflection for a moment, turning her question over.

At last he said "We discover through him the name of every mobster he knows. See they meet justice. We work our way up the ladder, until at last he has betrayed everyone, and knows it. Then we see to it he dies by his own weapon, though if you wish another fate for him, I will gladly assist in that."

Roi had a strange sense of unreality, talking to a lovely woman about possibly committing murder. But somehow..it felt right.

“I honestly don’t know what he has in mind, but we should be finished before he has a chance to make his move.â€

A dark look crossed her face.

“It’s not justice I’m after but revenge, and I’m after just the one man. And all I want is for the man to die and know who killing him, it’s will be a small mercy for him that his death will be swift. After that I think I’ll retire from this city, maybe I could travel to Paris they appreciate Jazz music over there.â€

She stood up and with a few final adjustment’s was ready when needed.

“I wish you luck, but this one man is all I’m after.â€

"If that is your aim, then I shall be happy to try and help you reach it" Roi answered politely. A faint sense of unease at such a cold-hearted attitude struck him, but he quickly shoved it aside with a a jerk of his shoulders. He could always try and find some evidence after the deed was done...

'"The deed"? An odd way to put killing a man' he thought. His face grew suddenly cheerful "Paris is called home by mere artists the world over, Agnes. I am sure it would welcome an Angel!"

"So we follow him to his home, then kill him?" he asked much more quietly, glancing at the dressing room door. It wouldn't do to be undone by carpentry. "This bar seems a poor place, and the streets have their own dangers."

GM

The night was growing long, now past midnight. Outside, the weather was warm and wet, an insipid rain dancing on the roofs and streets of the city. 

No more singing tonight. No more song tonight. 

The band had played their final note, and last orders were being called. Some of the Joker's patrons were shuffling off. Many stayed, to drink a few more hours into the night. 

But not Hatchet Jones. He and the two goons he had on either side stood up, more like a snake uncurling than a man standing, and headed for the door. 

He gave a wink and a laugh at Agnes as passed. 

"Never forget who own's this town, doll. The Boss Comito. You may not take his money, but yer in his pocket all the same haha!" he laughed, stepping through to the rain outside. 

• 3 weeks later...

Agnes bit back any kind of response, now wasn’t the time to cause any kind of problems. And there would be plenty of time to explain to him exactly who was in charge...

Instead she managed to give him a fake smile, something she’d had plenty of experience of over the last few months.

As Hatchet left she gave her new ally the nod, she was far too obvious to follow him directly. Instead she’d follow along after the right amount of distance. After all the time spent waiting an hour or two wouldn’t make much difference.

Returning the nod with a similarly downward inclination of his head, Roi leaned back in his chair. Chatting idly with Agnes Alla, something that just yesterday would have been the height of the evening, was at that moment rather unnerving. Ordinarily you never find out if somebody has it in them to murder somebody else. The slam of the door behind Hatchet and his thugs jolted though him.

"Winter makes for some gloomy nights, it seems, mademoiselle. I am glad we're stopping by our friend's home." he took a quick sip of water, not trusting himself with anything stronger.

He wanted to be completely sober when it happened.

The Frenchman narrowed his eyes "Boss Comito?" he said softly "I take it he rules the organized criminals in this part of the city."

He kept talking for just a few minutes, letting the Angel go first, following after finishing his drink and steeling his nerves.

Edited by Arichamus

GM

As Agnes left the Joker, she was hit by a light rain in her face. The night was warm, wet, and dark. Pale orange neon softly illuminated the wet street, creating an eerie ambience. It was unusually quiet, only the dull sound of faraway cars driving past. 

Outside, the two thugs who sat by the Hatchet were waiting for her. 

"Billy Brains" (named for his beating of them, not the possession) and "Ted Ticker" (named for his obsessive fondling of his waistcoat watch) were outside to greet her. 

"Evening Agnes!" extrolled Ted, a highpitched eloquent voice. "Where are you perambulating to in such irriguous precipitation? we would have parley with the Frenchman with whom you did verbalise your thought!"

"Wheres the Frenchy?" Grunted Bill in a menacing tone, bringing out a knife. 

• 2 weeks later...

Agnes pulled up short and gave a little gasp appearing to the world as if she was just an innocent girl startled by some ruffians. She even put her hand to her mouth after all she was just a singer.

“I... I... don’t know he was just some pleb who bought me a drink at the bar. He must have skipped out without playing earlier.â€

She never really liked manipulating people, even thugs like these, but in these circumstances it was a necessity. After all this was finished, a day right now she couldn’t imagine, she could try and make amends for all the lying and cheating she’d done in the name of revenge.

“There’s an alley behind the club where people tend to use to leave in a hurry, he probably went that way.â€

GM

"I ain't never heard of no alley..." mumbled Billy Brains, unsure of the situation. 

"I believe her elocution to be a honey-coated falsehood with intent of misleading us as to our singular purpose, my good friend" squarked the high pitched voice of Ted Ticker. 

"Fortunately, at least one of us has sufficient cognitive astuteness to perceive the paucity of fact in her gambit of deception. However, she might yet impart some degree of accuracy in her otherwise untruthful statement, wheresoforth in relation to her opinion as to the current location of the Gallic rapscallion we inquired about..." he mused. 

"Guys, quit talking and check it out..." hissed Hatchet, stepping out from the shadows with a steely voice that both Billy and Ted instantly obeyed, scuttling off to the "alley". 

"Honey, ya pleased to see me?" he laughed without kindness. 

"Now tell me all ya know about the Frenchy. And about the ace of spades. And don't tighten up that sweet little mouth on ya, or I'll loosen those lips good and proper, and not in a nice way..." he smirked, bringing out a cold, shiny machete from his coat. 

With as much slowness as she could get away with she took out a cigarette and took a few puffs, offering the packet to her would be assailant.

“I can say with all honesty very little. It seems he’s not been in country long but he’s already made friends and enemies. Is that not the American way?†she took another drag of her cigarette "Beyond that I don't know anything else."

She was fairly confident against this upstart thug for one reason somehow she had this gift an extra-special ability, that and the comforting steel of the revolver in her purse. If things turned ugly she was sure she could simply deal with things.

Edited by TiffanyKorta

GM

"That's a sweet story from a sweet dame, daling. A guy could really fall for those honey lips" he smiled lecherously. 

"But y'know, I'm feeling rather bitter right now. No, babe, I don't buy that. I know people. Y'see, it comes from seeing the lights in their eyes go out when I take that last bit of them. I look right in their eyes, and we both see what really makes people tick right then. No fancy words, no clever comebacks. When a man draws his last breath, that's when all the lies fall of him..."

"So you see, the way I see it, that Frenchy, you and hid had words. I see that in your eyes. What is it? hope? I can change that, honey. I'm realy good at that. And what's more, you will thank me ending that. See, hope only lets you down. It's like a broad that cheats on you, except you fall twice as hard. So, really, I'm doing you a favour, honey. I'm gonna crush the truth out of your lips, and you will thank me for it..." he grinned.

And reached out...

• 3 weeks later...

When she had sworn her revenge on this her lover’s killer she had made a pact with something outside of rational science. On her more sober moment’s she wonder if she damned herself in the name of revenge and whether it was worth the cost. Most of the time she knew what eventually it would be worth the price.

She had never had to call upon the spirit’s gift’s before but now in mortal danger if felt the time to act. With barely a thought a nimbus of light appeared around Agnes which grew in intensity until t released a bright flash of blinding light in every direction.

Agnes didn’t wait to see if the light was successful, she made for cover at the soonest opportunity, discretion here was the better part of valour.

Edited by TiffanyKorta

GM

The Hatchet was hefting his signature machete when the light hit him. 

"I'm gonna cut you up so ba...what the blazes?" he shouted, his eyes widening in surprise. Of course, widened eyes was not the ideal tactic when the blast of light smacked him in the face. Hatchet was fast, but caught by surprise. 

"What the hell was that?" he asked, slashing his machete left and right, completely blinded. 

"Help me! Get her you fools!" he shouted, as the footsteps of Ticker and Brains hit the wet road and caught up with their boss. 

"What illuminatory circumstance travails you? I perceived a pulse of luminescence that, whilst transient in nature, I do deduce has accorded homogeneous retinal images due to its aura!"