Red Sky at Night (IC)

GM

"Ye will have to better than that, my pretty wench!" laughed the Freebooter, rubbing his stubbled jaw. 

"I'll have ye guts for gart...ohohoh!" he interrupted himself, eyes darting towards the bridge. 

"What's this? Have ye brought some friends? or some foes? Ye be a tricksy madam, there be no doubt! Three landlubbers to fight! Well, I'm not sure I fancy me chances against three of ye!" he said, before calling out across the bridge. 

"You there! Yes, you, going around all invisible! I see ya! No tricking the Free Booter! Tell me, friend of foe? Fiend or Fancy? What be your intentions!" he said, dancing a little tap on his feet. 

"And who started the ship?" he asked, as the engines kicked into gear once more...

The ship was slowly drifting away from the port, into the sea. And the storm had hits its peak...driving rain, flashes of lightning, and a rolling deck...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crimson Tiger was tired of this wannabe pirate idiot. She stepped up to him and landed a solid hit on his jaw, knocking him silly. It took a bit to get a sense for his rhythm and body movements, but now she had him and knew what sort of things he liked to do. "Look, we've all seen Pirates of the Carribean, and everybody thinks Jack Sparrow is awesome, but c'mon, man, it's not worth making yourself a super-villain for!"

She hoped, briefly, that he might at least be a little distracted, but at least he seemed a little punch drunk from her hit.

GM

The Freebooter was, of course, made of alloys, plastics and metals, not flesh and bone. His head still jerked to one side, violently. 

"I got ya!" he laughed, as sparks flew from his neck. His head hung to one side at an impossible, and loose wiring flowed out of the crack in his neck, flowering electricity. 

"Ya bruised ya knuckles pretty bad on my head, didn't ya!" he laughed, his voice becoming progressively more distorted. 

"I---I-I-I-I- think th-th-th-think its t-tiiiiiiiiiime to beat a hasty-ty-ty-ty retreaaaaaat"

Above them, Devil Ray flew into the storm and scanned the deck. 

Four of them now?

This was getting heavy, but he knew he was being paid well. And he knew who by. 

That girl, Tsunami - she would be the dangerous one. He charged up his armour, and released a bolt of electricity that spiralled around Tsunami without hitting her. 

• 2 weeks later...

Blodeuwedd carried on moving around the bridge the noise of the storm and the dark would make it difficult for the Captain to keep track of her in normal circumstances. And these weren't normal circumstances.

For an extra touch she dived and rolled only to throw some of the throwing dagger’s towards the man. Unfortunately the rolling of the ship seemed to put off her aim the knives thudded harmlessly into the glass.

“I think we’re beyond discussing the fine points of the Rules of the Sea, especially when you’re relying on a know Super Criminal to provide protection.â€

Tsunami was slightly surprised when she came across Crimson Tiger fighting a man dressed as a pirate.  That surprise was increased when it was reveled that he was actually a robot, though given her experiences during the Day of Wrath, she likely should not have been so surprised.  However, her attention was quickly diverted away as Devil Ray returned to continue their fight.

As Devil Ray's electrical bolt arched towards here, Tsunami dodged to one side, rolling across the water covered deck of the ship and coming back up in a low back stance.  Focusing her attention fully on the flying armored villain, the Asian teen stepped forward, sweeping both hand back together in front of her as she sent another blast of water towards the villain.

Once again she hit Devil Ray squarely with the attack, but while he clearly appeared to feel it, he otherwise was able to take the hit and remain in the fight.

Mali froze. She...nearly killed him. She remembered what happened with Steel Shrike, how he almost died. For the first time in a very long time, she hesitated. She didn't move, just stared at the wires in his neck. She almost screamed, almost freaked out completely. She managed to keep herself from doing -that-, but she couldn't make herself act. She couldn't even make herself attack the other target. She just stood there, she hoped he was going to be okay. Bad guy or not, she wasn't going to kill anyone.

GM

The Devil Ray swooped down, through the rain and wind, and caught Tsunami in his vice like grip. The Servo motors of his Armor groaned, exerting their full power on her. Catching her by her wrists, he briefly stood on the deck of the ship, before blasting off into the dark night sky and thunderous rain above the ship. 

"Not so slippery now are you?" he laughed. 

"I have been hired to protect this ship, and that's what I'm going to do, no matter who is in my way!" he said, yanking Tsunami's face to his. 

"That little boat is loaded with enough explosives to tear apart a few city blocks. And its destined for OVERTHROW. That's right. I'm working for terrorists..." he goaded, his hands gently crushing  Tsunami's as the wind and rain whipped through them both...

Down below, the sparks coming out of the neck of the Freebooter subsided, and his eyes aligned themselves in parallel once more. 

"Discretion be the better part of valour, me hearties!" he sang, with a salute. He span on a heel, and with a hop, skip, and mighty jump, sailed off into the darkness in an impressive parabola. 

GM

Meanwhile...

The Captain looked at the juddering knives that had embedded themselves inches from him. 

"You raise the stakes, woman!" he said. 

"I'll not risk everything I have worked for. Not when I am so close and on course!" he said, scanning the instruments in front of him. Taking careful aim, he fired - once - twice - into the instruments, that exploded in smoke and sparks. 

"There! we are set on course now! nothing can stop us!" he said to Blod, as a Siren sounded in the ship, and a red flashing light appeared over them. 

Meanwhile, the Ship propelled itself quickly over the storm and waves. Whilst it was a powerful ship, it was pretty clear that the wind of the storm was propelling it forward, pushing it to even greater speed...

Blodeuwedd swore to herself in Welsh, something that shouldn’t be repeated in polite company, she put her finger in her ear and broadcast to her two friends.

“The control our out and there’s no way I can stop this ship from moving to sea. Is anyone in a position to go down to the engine room and turn this thing off?â€

What was it with Freedom City and her getting stuck out at sea? She took grim satisfaction that she managed to win out with that one, not often you got to take down a major spirit. She drew Dyrnwyn, keeping it’s light hidden under her cloak, and made her way silently across the bridge to beside the Captain. Now was the time to take him down for good.

Edited by TiffanyKorta

Tsunami had been ready for another electrical attack from Devil Ray, and was thus caught a bit off guard as the armored mercenary instead flew towards her to try and grab her.  She almost was able to dodge out of his way, but he managed to catch one wrist and then the other, before taking off into the air, carrying her with him. 

The Asian teen gritted her teeth slightly as Devil Ray's powerful grip tightened on her wrists as he pulled her to face him and made his boosts.  When he reveled what was on the ship, the teen face hardened.  "Then you are completely amoral."  She replied to the criminal.  "Any deaths that result from that cargo being delivered will be on your hands."

"But I do not believe that will happen.  For while you are busy dealing with me, my companions will stop that ship."

Glancing down briefly at the waters below them, Tusnami reached out with her power, pulling a large amount of water up from the ocean towards the pair.  As the water reached them, the Asian teen wrapped it around them both, trying to create currents that could help pull her free from Devil Ray's grasp. 

But the armored criminal proved too strong, maintaining his vice-like grip.

Crimson Tiger knew what was happening the moment the ship picked up speed. There was absolutely no way she was going to let it hurt anyone. She bolted for the door into the ship and down to the decks below. When the first sailor was there to greet her, wrench in hand, she didn't even slow down, instead slamming her fist into his chest and sending him flipping over and onto the ground. She turned down a hallway and spotted a man with a knife, seemingly there to try and stop her. She spotted a metal pipe over his head and jumped to grab it, bringing her knee forward and slamming it into his face as she let go and kept running. Something about the way he held the knife suggested that he'd been trained in it's use, but she could see where someone who used to be in the military might end up as a professional sailor.

Moments later, she spotted two men standing in the hallway, and she wondered why any of them honestly thought they could slow her down. Rather than jumping over or through them, she dove between them, sliding baseball style between them. They turned around in surprise just as she got to her feet and delivered a swift roundhouse kick to both of their heads.

She turned around again and made it a little farther down the hallway. A split second before it struck her, she jumped back out of the way of a knife. Apparently, he'd heard her coming and had decided to try and sneak attack her. She grabbed his outstretched arm by the wrist and slammed her palm into his elbow, popping it out of socket and forcing him to drop the knife. Then she kicked him hard in the chest, falling to the floor below.

Then, a few moments later, she spotted a rather towering and imposing man who seemed to be holding a piece of metal pipe. He readied it as if to take a swing the moment she got close enough. She paused for a split second, considering her tactical options given her current foe. She decided on the most surprising option, and charged straight at him. He swung overhead and she sidestepped it.

She delivered a fierce hook to the right side, and then the left, followed by the right again before slamming her fist directly into his jaw. He lifted off of his feet and crashed to the floor.

She ran over him, and took off again, trying to listen for where the engine might be. As she ran she wondered why a ship would have so many professionally trained people, and why did two of them have military grade knives on a non-military ship?

Edited by Thunder King

GM

The Devil Ray looked down at below deck, seeing the Crimson Tiger scuttle off and Blod disappear to...well, he couldn't see....

He turned his metal helm back to Tsunami, the eye pieces glowing with a dim red light. 

"Normally I would relish the chance to crush such an annoyance" he said, his hand tightening to break bruises on the girls wrists. 

"But I have a job to do. And the job comes first. Another time, sea-child. And next time, I won't hold back. Hell, I'll do you for free". With that, and with surprising speed, he shoved her to one side, arcing his arm and body, and with a massive surge of servi-power, launched her into the sky, throwing her back to Freedom City through the rain and wind and lightning of the furious storm that blew around them...

"Bon Voyage!" he yelled at the girl as she disappeared into the night. 

Meanwhile...

The Captain Grimaced as he lost sight of the Welshwoman. Instead of losing sleep over the matter, he cocked his shotgun. 

"It's hunting season" he muttered grimly. "Nothing is going to stop me now..."

He stomped out into the storm on deck, his sea legs had not deserted him. Despite the pitch and yaw of the ship, and the wet deck, he stood steady, looking directly into the dark clouds. 

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst no one could really see it until the last minute but her attack was quite impressive. Moving along with the Captain she used the ships railing to gain a little height before cutting downward at the man with Dyrnwyn. The blow went down the length of the man, though she made sure the cut wouldn’t be too deep, and she ended up crouched on the ground ready to defend from any counter attack he could consider.

She’d been holding back a little hoping that the situation would solve itself peaceful but that moment was now past.

GM

The Cut caught the man hard, and let blood. He sank to his knees and clutched his chest, the Shotgun fell to the damp wet floor of the Deck and skidded out of sight as the boat pitched and rolled. 

"I'm done..." he whispered. "I can't fight you, I'm too old..." he said, hoarsely. "Time was, when I was a soldier, I would have given you a run for your money. Time was when I could shoot straight and thrust true. But the years have taken the edge of me, no matter how much I might tell myself otherwise. I'm not a fighting man any more. I've lost my edge..." he said with hard eyes. 

"But I've still got the fire. I've forgotten more about tactics than you will ever learn. The ship is set for its course. Straight and true. My vengeance will be had, no matter if I die on this ship or see the blaze from the shore...." he said through gritted teeth. 

"You can't stop it now. The controls are jammed, the engines are on, and whatever power you used to move the waters, it seems to have deserted you..." he said. 

"I commend your swordsmanship, but I have learned that swords and guns...and even the mighty powers of superheroes are nothing compared to the hands that move the pieces on the chessboard..." he grunted, holding his chest firmly to stop the bleeding. 

Tsunami flew through the air briefly before coming crashing down into a stack of empty shipping crates back along the docks near the city.  Thankfully, the swirling shield of water surrounding the Asian teen took the brunt of the impact, but she did feel a bit sore a she climbed to her feet and freed herself of the debris.  Looking back out toward the dark waters, she keyed her communicator.

"Blode, Crimson, be ready, Devil Ray tossed me back to shore and is on his way back to the ship.  I am fine, and should be able to catch back up quickly.  However, he also reveled that the ship is loaded with explosives, and that he has been hired by the terrorist group OVERTHROW."

"If we are unable to find a way to stop the ship, I may have to sink it."

With that, the teenager dove back into the dark bay, cutting through the water with relative ease.

Edited by Thevshi

She heard that, and growled to herself. She didn't want to have to sink the ship, because she knew that would mean some of the people could die. She'd rather try to stop the ship before it came to that, but she was prepared to let it sink if that's what it took.

She spotted three more men, these armed with pipes. "Listen, you jerks." She growled, ducking under a strike. "I don't care how many bruises or broken bones I gotta deal out, I am stopping this ship." She said, punctuating her words with a vicious combination of punches.

She turned and kicked another in the abdomen and sent him falling over. She grabbed the last one and just threw him to the side, deciding that she had to run as fast as she could.

Then, at long last, she spotted it. A door with the big words 'Engine Room' written on them. She picked up the pace and looked the door over. It was metal, but the hinges didn't look extremely tough.

She got the door and, barely slowing down, delivered a fierce straight kick to it, knocking it over with a thud. Finally, she thought as she looked around for something to hit the engine with...

GM

ZZZZAP!!!!

A burst of lightning hit right beside the Captain and Blod, setting alight a lifeboat - although at the rate the monsoon was coming down on them, the flames would be quashed in seconds. 

"Watch out you oaf!" shouted the Captain to the sky. It was no lightning bolt, but rather the powered armor of the Devil Ray, whose motors and servos could be heard whining in the air above them. Seeing him in the rain and dark was another matter, it was like seeing a flying black on black. 

"You didn't hire me, OVERTHROW did!" came the electronic voice from above them. "We both work for them, remember!" came the stern shout from the mercenary. 

"You do..." mumbled the Captain, out of Devil Ray's earshot, only audible to Blod. 

Blodeuwedd nodded at the Captain in understanding.

“Just stay down and don’t cause any more trouble I promise we’ll take this into account later.â€

She still kicked away the shotgun just incase, no need to tempt fate. She then spun around quickly and threw some knives towards Devil Ray.

“I suggest that you;’d follow the lead of you former ally here, but you’re too dense to consider that.â€

She didn’t expect it to have any effect on Devil Ray but it would hopefully keep the man focus on just her. Some villains didn’t take defection... well.

GM

The captain merely bowed his head in defeat, his hair and beard matted with the rain that pounded around them. 

"The crew of the ship are merely hirelings, not worth the....argh!" screamed the Devil Ray. How anyone could have hit him in the dark, with the winds, was a mystery, but Blod has managed it against the odds. 

"You got me!" he wailed, as his servo motors roared and fired, sending him diving down, in a frenzied spin, to the seething ocean with a mighty splash that was heard even over the thunder and rain that whipped up around them. 

The ocean was alive with the storm. 

"I can't say I'll miss him. He was rather dense..." chortled the captain beneath his bowed head. 

Now completely submerged, Tsunami sliced through the waters of the bay at impressive speed.  She could sense the unusual current that was now aiding to propel the Prince Edward forward, but at the moment was unable to determine what might be the source of that current. 

As she drew near, the Asian teen sensed someone fall into the water near the ship and shifted in that direction in case it was one of her friends.  However, she quickly realized it was Devil Ray, apparently one of the others had landed a solid hit, for he was currently dazed, though no quite out of the fight.

Sweeping both hands in front of her as she continued to slice through the waters, she sent another powerful jet of water at the armored mercenary.  However, her aim was slightly off, and the water blast missed the target, continuing on through the dark waters.

Crimson Tiger couldn't make heads or tails of the engine. She wasn't an expert on anything mechanical, not even remotely. So, she did the only thing she knew how to do in this situation; find someone who did know what to do, and make them do it.

She spotted a man sulking in a corner and bolted towards him. She lifted him boldly off of his feet and slammed him against the wall. She needed this man to cooperate, or people might die. So she turned on the scary and roared.

"Listen to me. I'm going to let you go, and you're going to go stop the engine right now. There are several men on this ship who are lying around in pain from broken bones and dislocated joints. Big, strong military guys. I can think of over a dozen incredibly painful things to do to a human being, and if you don't do what I say, I will start doing them to you."

GM

The Shiphand dropped his spanner from paralysed hand and gulped, sweating and shaking. 

"Per---per---perlease! Don't hit me! No! No! Not the thumbs! Aaaargh!" he screamed, reliving some personal nightmare in his head. 

"I'll stop the ship! Please, just don't hurt me! I'll do whatever you want! You say stop, I will to it, right, hop!" he said, babbling some incoherent rhyme in terror. 

As the Crimson Tiger let him go, he scooped up the spanner and went to the engine, wiping his brow and smearing oil over his somewhat oversized nose and his sweaty brow. 

"If I..err...just reverse the ejection of the oil flow..." he mumbled, hands shaking, as he brought his spanner to bear...

For now Blodeuwedd had nothing directly to deal with other that the movement of the ship. Right now others would be trying to stop the ship, but there might be something she could do up here on the bridge. She knelt down in front of the Captain, with a little distance in case he tried something.

“Is there anything we can still do to stop the ship up here? And what about the radio can we give the people a warning?â€

At that point something struck her something that could be important.

“What exactly was the point of all this? What is this ship meant to be doing?â€

Under the storm tossed waves, Tsunami continued towards the ship and Devil Ray.  The unusually strong current might hamper most that tried to move through the waters, but it seemed to wrap around the Asian teen, not hampering her movement in the least.

Tsunami knew she needed to deal with the armored mercenary before she tried to do anything about stopping the ship.  Slicing through the waters and reaching up alongside the ship, she swept one hand out towards where she could faintly sense him in the water, though the stormy conditions made it hard to pinpoint him exactly.  A jet of water shoot out from her extended hand, cutting through the water, but missing the intended target.

GM

Under the angry waves of the storm, the turbulence was no less furious, and Tsunami could feel the flows wrap around the ship, propelling it forward by some mysterious force. 

It was no wonder her blast missed given the anger of the sea. Devil Ray shook his head and regained his posture, more at home underwater than in the air. 

"Challenge me here would you?" boomed the electronic voice. "This is my domain, child! mine! I thought I had disposed of you in the air. I won't make the same mistake down here!" he boasted. 

There was no doubt that his armor had seen worse days, with whining and complaining servo-motors from the battering he had received. There was even a splash of blood oozing into the ocean from Blod's knives. But Devil Ray was no down yet. 

He launched himself like a torpedo, his arms thrust forward to smash Tsunami. Strong and powerful he was, but the torrents of the water and Tsunami's reactions were too much, as he sailed past her...