Gallia Falling, part 2 - Rene-le-Chateau (IC)

Tiffany Korta

"Hautpoul Manor, you say?" asked Rene, taking another glass of wine. He was a regular but not heavy drinker. But he could feel the warm flush of intoxication whispering at him.

Slow down. Even if it is excellent...

"Well now, that does seem strange to say the least. Tell me now, what do you make of this Manor and these men? God-fearing folk are they? or are their Morals less than desirable?"

One more sup...

He pressed the fine wine to his lips once more.

"A priest like yourself, here. Perhaps you think of some souls to save, eh? Does your nose lead you to the Manor?"

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Father Henri looked thoughtful for a few seconds, taking a few spin of the wine as he did so.

“I’m not sure I’ve seen many of them on their travels, though they don’t seem to wear an distinctive insignia. They show some reverence for this church and Mary Magdalene specifically, though her cult is popular in the region.â€

He poured himself another glass of wine and offered Rene a refill.

“I was planning to visit the house soon… but my I ask what your interest is in these people?†the man despite being a priest obviously had a sharp mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Rene stewed over the question for a moment or two, studying the priest carefully. Perhaps the wine had lowered his caution, or perhaps it was the astute nature of Henri. 

He set his wine down slowly. 

"I have, in my years, seen many things, Father. Some of them mundane. Some of them very much the opposite. Some of them beyond wit or reason. Do not take me for a syphilitic madman.." he added. 

"Many years ago, in my youth, I came across a spirit. Gallia, she called herself. A powerful and dangerous force, a shaper of nations, whilst simultaneously being shaped by nations..."

"Now, I do not expect you to believe me. My story is incredulous, I grant you. But there is more to this world than stone and wood. More to it that the math and science of the age. Maybe, as a man of God, you will concede me that. I have a sense that Gallia is here, and I have a sense that some would seek her out, with hearts of malice. This country, enlightened as it is, has been born in blood and strife - a strife I was, in some small way, part of. I do not wish such a plague again..."

As a priest he was obviously use to listening to other peoples issues and confessions, but the young priest seemed to be genuinely interested in what Rene had to say. Marianne put her head on her hands and rested them of the back of pews watching the pair with rapt attention.

“I like to think I am also a man of reason, it’s just that I see God’s plan in the details. But I have also seen the world of spirit’s and demons behind the veneer of reason. Maybe after we have dealt with this you could tell more of your story, as two Frenchmen telling tales of their lives. But first…†he raised her glasses in a toast “To France may it long continue.â€

He drowned his wine and stood up.

“It’s strange but I wasn’t going to visit Rennes-le-Chateau today, but a young woman not unlike your sister convinced me to visit this little village.â€

"To France" replied Rene, downing the wine. He was now feeling frankly drunk. He would not be falling over, but he felt warm and slowed. 

It seems that it is not just me that the spirits of the ages have sent to this place. A priest too. But I will not jump to assumptions - there are always wheels within wheels, and webs within webs...

"It seems then that we are both ensnared in fate" he replied. "And, I fancy, more than one strand has woven us together today. I thank fortune that I ran into you today, or visa versa" he smiled. 

"Now, you are more wise to the ways of the land here than I, stuck in Paris. Tell me, could we penetrate this mystery together? our course is not clear, but not acting is an action in itself - and normally an unwise one. Could you take me to the Hautpoul manor?"

“Well I’m only a simple travelling priests and gave none of the experience you’ve seemed to gathered, but I’ll happily provide you with whatever assistance I can.†Father Henri gave a little grin.

Pulling on his coat she gently guided Rene away from Marianne was happily sat there humming to herself.

“But what of your sister? These men may not be happy to see us, especially if they are plotting against France. And such a place would not be safe for a young woman, especially as she seems to be distracted easily.â€

GM

Once again Rene stewed over what to tell the priest, sucking his cheeks and smacking his lips over the question. There was something about the Father, an air, that made him - if not fully trust him - then incline him to be truthful nonetheless. Perhaps he felt that the man deserved the Truth. 

Ack! Suspicion is like poison to the soul! Away with it!

"My sister, as you call her, is no such thing. I apologise for the deception, my friend. She is, however, a dear child that I hold close. She had a sensitivity to the spirits I mentioned. An Insight that surpasses even my own. I have no desire to place her in harms way. The time of troubles saw enough babes in the arms of war - and I dread for her safety. And yet, she has a determination to help, and I confess her help would be of much aide. She is my compass in this matter. But not my sword, musket or shield..."

Marianne jumped of her seat and stood between the two men beaming up at the pair of them.

“Them let’s go have a word with these bad men.â€

The Hautpoul Manor dominated the tiny village of Renne-la-Chateau, and was visible from the church itself. It was a fortified manor and whilst it had seen better day’s Rene’s soldiering skills told him it still be a formidable task to storm such a place.

It was only a short distance down to the Manor; then again everything in the village was a short distance from everywhere else, with Marianne skipping ahead of the pair.

As they go closer to the Manor they could see their first problem, a pair of guards stood barring entrance both armed with muskets.

"Not my shield, sword, or musket" muttered Rene, looking down at Marianne with concern. He stopped well before earshot of the guards. 

"Well now" he said to his partners. "It seems we have a little difficulty ahead of us. Be alert, be alert. I would solve this with words rather than force. Although it remains to be seen if those men are of similar inclination!"

He heralded the guardsmen as he walked on further. 

"Ho there! Ho there! What tale is to be told here?" he inquired. "Armed guards on the streets of France? what tale, what tale? has the time of revolution not passed here? do not tell me there is more blood to be spilled on the cobbled roads and fields of this fair village?"

One of the men raised his Musket and pointed it towards Rene. He had the hardened look of a veteran of many wars; he must have been around Rene’s age and wore it all on his face. His companion was younger, born after the Revolution Rene would guess, but he wasn’t a total green youngster either.

So the men weren’t wide eyed extremists, which meant there were easier to deal with, but if trouble did break out they wouldn’t hesitate to kill if need be.

“This is private property and the workings of the Republic have no sway here. State your business and be on your way.â€

Rene sighed deeply. The two men were not going to be easy, that was for sure. 

"I come with the good Father Henri, sir. A man of God..." he gave the Priest a meaningful look, hoping the man would hold nerve and play along. 

"We come on a spiritual matter, sir. The poor church here is in a most unfortunate state, and in need of repair. We would talk with the lord of the manor, to discuss aid. I bid you sir, please let us pass, and do the Lords work!"

He bowed deeply, without taking his eyes off the soldiers, and giving them a friendly smile. 

Even if they don't swallow it, their reaction will be most interesting. I doubt the conspiracy here is what one would term Christian in spirit. How might they waver in conviction?

The man’s expression didn’t wavier, but he did shoulder the Musket. The other guard also seemed to relax slightly. So they weren’t keen to shoot first and ask questions later.

“I’m sure the Master of the household will be happy to discuss a contribution to help rebuild a church dedicated to Lady Magdalene. But right now he is engaged in important matters of state and cannot be disturbed. I’m sure he would be happy to entertain you at a later date.â€

He was looking and speaking now to Father Henri, obviously Rene and Marianne wasn’t invited.

“Now it’s no crime to stand there on the street’s but I suggest you come no closer.â€

"That is a shame" replied Rene. He doubted they could wait, and he did not wish to expose his ward or the Father to any musketfire. The guards were simply doing there job. 

They were well trained, he guessed. He could probably dazzle them with some arcane power, but not with ease. And he had no wish to reveal to the world what he had learned. 

"It appears then, we must be on our way. I bid you good day, Sir!" he said, doffing his beret and moving on with his two companions. 

Out of site he stopped them. 

"I cannot abide delay, for the delay indicates a need for it, and a need for delay is worrisome. It tells me that we must act without undue delay!"

He brought out his paintbrush and winked at the two. 

"What we need is a distraction!" he whispered, as he wove his wand in the air...

...around the Corner, the three figures walked. Not the real Henri, Marianne, and Rene, but silent and perfect images of the three. They walked right up to the guards, before giving an obscene gesture with their hands...

The two guards seemed totally taken in with the duplicate of the party and began to shout insults back at the insulting phantoms. It was fairly obvious that they wouldn’t get fooled for long.

Father Henri was about to say something, but instead said something that a priests shouldn’t really know. Crossing himself he drew Rene attention to Marianne.

It seems that Marianne had decided she needed a better view, and so was now floating just above the two men.

“It seems your little friend has a few talent’s you neglected to mention†Father Henri had recovered quickly from his shock

Marianne for her part looked her normal innocent self, not quite realizing what she had done.

GM

"Flying, is it?" chuckled Rene at Marianne. "Well, liberty does give you wings, after all!"

With a beckoning of hand, he called Henri and Rene to follow him, as he slipped around the two guards and into the Mansion. 

"Forgive my deception, Henri. I have a rare gift with art. It is true I paint on canvas, and am skilled enough in the more usual form of painting, but I have come to see all the world as a canvas. I can, with some effort and will, paint onto the fabric of reality..."

He looked back at the silent simulacrum. 

"But such deception will not fool our guardsmen for long...let us make haste into the Mansion. Time is against us, I fear, and a more lengthy debate on philosophy and magic will have to wait for more opportune moment!"

With that, he scurried up to the Mansion proper. 

The mansion showed signs that it hadn’t been looked after for some times some spaces suggested that the mansion had been looted, possibly during the Revolution.

The house however showed signs that it was still quite actively in use, with many feet having traipsed through it’s space recently.

Marianne seemed completely at home, but she seemed to be at home everywhere, Father Henri however seemed a little nervous at being in his house.

“Where do we go now? I’m afraid it’s my first time sneaking into a house.†he managed a weak smile.

Without missing a beat marianne spoke a little spaced out, or more so than normal, as if listening to an inner voice,

“We go upstairs, we have any ally in this house.â€

They both looked to Rene, for better or worse he seemed to have become the De Facto leader.

Rene shrugged. Marianne had led them true until now. He had little choice but to trust her, and, if he was honest with himself, he had grown progressively more inclined to do so. 

"An Ally is it?" he asked, making sure his voice was suitably low. He looked the stairs, which seemed empty. 

"Well, I would rather be upstairs than downstairs. Cold hard cellars, cold hard dungeons. Easy to get trapped, which is not ideal for liberterians such as ourselves...." he mused. 

He trod on the first stair and winced slightly as it creaked. 

"Let us meet this Ally then, Marianne. And let us try to be quiet about it. This house may have an Ally, but I fear it has more than one protagonist to our story..."

The upstair seemed if anything less cared for than the downstairs, but it also seemed that there was less foot traffic. Whilst the there were sound’s of activity within the house this part was quiet. But they still move up the stairs with some degree of silence.

Once up the stair’s Marianne seemed to take the lead picking out a door seeming at random. Knocking on the door drew a response with a strong voice coming through the thick wood.

“Who is that?â€

“Marianne.†as the girl spoke she opened the door and stepped into the room “And these are my friends.â€

Sitting at a simple table reading a small book was a elderly lady in her 70’s, by her stance and demeanor she look to be a Lady of some breeding.

“So what does your Master require from me this time?â€

"Forgive the intrusion, venerable Madam" said Rene, in as hushed a tone of voice as he could get away with. He had no wish to either offend the woman or call undue attention to the conversation. 

But hellfire, I would speak with this woman as a civilised man!

"I am Rene deSaens, painter. With me are Father Henri and...Marianne, who has already introduced herself as well a child might!" he chuckled at the girls impulsiveness. 

"May I be so bold as to ask your name? and, perhaps, tell me, who is this Master?"

• 4 weeks later...

The old woman carefully closed the book and put it on a small table, she didn’t seem to be in a particular rush. She looked the three of them down, giving Marianne a particularly long look, before she pointed a finger to ward's Father Henri.

“I haven’t had chance to visit the church but I am aware of you Father Henri, your friend’s I don’t know. I would have thought you’d know the lady of this manor, or have my steward done me that disservice as well?†she raised from her chair, a little stiff, but still carrying herself in a noble manner “I am Mademoiselle de Rennes but as circumstances have laid me low you can call me Elisabeth.â€

She looked at them with a flash of defiance “If you are here to cast these infernal agent’s of the Priory of Sion from my home then I welcome you with open arms.â€

Rene cooed in appreciation of Elisabeth's words. 

An ally here? Perhaps some illumination can be spared!

"Well met, Elisabeth. I would ponder why you have chosen an English name. But perhaps the Gods of Time are against us for such musings. I am afraid I was unaware of your status as lady of the manor. And I was equally unaware of that you knew Father Henri here..."

There may be more to the Father than meets the eye, or his tongue has revealed!

"But what throws my ignorance into boldest relief, and hungers my interest, are the Priory of Scion. Infernal, you say? Bold words, and I presume inspired by most greviuous insult. Have they imprisoned you here? or laid hand on you? pray tell, what of them? I have inclination that there is foul intent afoot here, but I did not know you would be embraced by it!"

“The Revolution...†she spat the word like a curse “...affect us even out here. It laid my family low and I now live as at the generosity of this house’s keepers. A guest in my own family home.†she scowled “But they are nothing to do with the presence of those Soldiers.â€

She took a moment to recover her composure, again putting on a face of calm.

“They have been here for about a year searching for something in the cellars, but in the last few month’s there pace has increased as if they're in a hurry for whatever they are looking for.â€

"The cellars, is it?" replied Rene, seizing on the map of Elisabeth's words. 

He bit his tongue at her mention of the Revolution. It was true, his experience of it was mixed, and it had been bloody, mean, and nasty. And, to cap it all, he had had the awful complexities of Gallia to deal with. But in his heart he believed in the principle. It was not for one man - or indeed woman to crush another soul beneath boot due to accident of birth - or perhaps for any reason. 

Aristocracy was injust. Viva la revolution, his heart sang. 

He reined in his opinion of Elisabeth. After all, he realised, it would not have been easy for the aristocrats. 

"And tell me, my dear Elisabeth, what of your cellars? I doubt they are looking for fine wine, although a good vintage is certainly worth the effort, in my opinion. Have you any idea what they might be looking for?"

â€œI’m afraid the wine cellar’s were cleared out long ago, part of the process of freeing the nation." Elisabeth gave a little sigh "This region is filled with caves the cellars are actually made from part of a natural cave. I believe that the Priory is trying to connect the cellar to another cave they believe is nearby.â€

She pause for a second and gave the three of them another look over, seeing Marianne’s beaming smile she seem to come to a decision.

“Luck for you I know what they are looking for and where you can look for. I assume you would be interested in that.â€

"So they are mining? Well, at least the rock should slow them down" replied Rene, some spirit restored. 

"And yes, I would very much like to know what they are seeking. Although I doubt it will bring much consolation to my heart. If something is buried, it is generally buried for a very good reason. The bones of the dead, for instance" he said, as an example. He had experience enough with necromancy to appreciate the rites of death, and the earth was a good shield against prying dabblers of the black arts. 

"But if you would reveal thought and truth and the matter, it would help, no doubt. And I would suggest you guide us to the base of this house. I would have words with the Priory of Sion. And perhaps more than words..."