Divine Theft (IC)

Ari

GM

11.45 AM, Late January, 2013,

Branson Building, Branson Plaza, Wading Way, Freedom City

The day had dawned much like most slightly damp January days in New Jersey, the sun reflecting off the skyscrapers and sending its shafts blazing through the streets.

The inhabitants of the Branson Building, that glittering spire of the dawn representing the Roseus Corporation, had begun their daily routines with the calm that had only a couple of weeks ago been shattered. Freedonians were hardy, and had pressed on through worse times than that, however!

As Agatha Benson slammed into the glass window and fell to the floor just a second before her desk went sailing out in a hail of shards, she thought to herself 'What did we do, God?!' a fitting question, though sadly unlikely to be answered, the office building rapidly becoming a scene of chaos as windows were smashed open, offices ransacked by costumed figures, and the security staff fled out into the streets screaming in wide-eyed terror!

Already the citizens not fleeing were taking pictures as they sought to begin. Police and ambulances were summoned as news spread of a supervillain attack!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warp appeared on a nearby rooftop in a flash of red light, crouched, hand raised up to shield her eyes as she peered at Bransun. Bransom? Whatever. The place had gone to hell fast, corporate professionalism and stoicism fled before the personnel managed to get out the door. Okay, get psyched, Warp rolled her shoulders, cracked her knuckles and breathed deep.

She raised a finger between each broken window by turns, one two three . . . she stopped on the seventh and vanished in another burst of light, appearing inside the office there.

Glow gave a slightly exasperated sigh as her friend blinked into the building without the benefit of any kind of recon. "Alright then, I guess we do it the fast way!" she grumbled, then flung herself towards the shattered window a couple along from the one Warp had chosen.

A telekinetic shove scattered any remaining shard of glass out of the frame as she approached and a moment later the luminescent heroine rocketed through the gap and landed with an athletic roll. "Didn't your mum ever tell you 'look before you er... teleport?" she asked as she straightened and started to move deeper into the office building.

GM

It didn't take the two heroines long before they found out who was tearing the Branson Building apart. Casually bursting out from one of the smaller offices and through the wall, plaster dust cascading around her, a tall woman wearing a blue spandex costume carried an enormous stack of binders on one arm. With the other she was busily engaged flipping through and discarding pages in a stream of paper, the look of concentration on her face implying quite strongly she was looking for something. "Nope. Nope. Nope, nope, nope nopenopenopenopenope...." she muttered, her mouth moving as quickly as her hands and eyes.

A lean and long-haired young Arabic man in red and white robes crawled out from the ceiling, passing straight through it without so much as a ripple, dragging a screaming old man in a torn and dusty suit after him. With a sharp look from his green eyes, the man in his grip suddenly grew rigid and silent, staring in horror. "By Malador!" he exclaimed wearily to the quick woman "This job had better be worth it, 'Rapids. I'm not one to question the fearless leader, but-" "Relaaaax Marduk!" the speedster replied without missing a beat in her search "Nephi's never steered us wrong before, and this is bound to get us in the good graces of Driogano and his pals. Don't forget we were eating ramen just three months back." With a disgusted snarl and dismissive wave, Marduk acknowledged her point.

So far, both of them had had their backs to the heroines, but as 'Marduk' glanced around, he started as he saw them. Narrowing his luminous eyes he said "Well, well, well. Rapids, I think we have some new challengers." suddenly appearing in front of the pair with a flash of red light he asked them curtly "Who are you? Some of those kid heroes this city spits out?"

Warp double-taked as she saw Glow flying in after her, then smiled. "Hey, I did look. There was glass breaking and people screaming, so it seemed like a pretty great place to start!" And the last time everything hit the fan, Kat thought but did not say, people died. She trailed after the older girl as they made their way inside.

There weren't any bodies in the hall as she'd feared there might. A little of the tension in her shoulders eased. It seemed like they were dealing with one of the costumed madmen who adhered to supervillainy 101, for which Kat was grateful. Not grateful enough to not give them a good thrashing for it, but grateful all the same.

Warp's grey eyes flashed red as she gave Marduk a sunny smile. "I heard there was someone running in the halls."

Glow smiled faintly at Warp's quips. She was glad to see the young teleporter in good spirits after such a trying month, but her amusement was short-lived as she found herself confronted with the pair of villains responsible for tearing up the building. She raised an eyebrow as Marduk teleported across the room to confront them, then turned her gaze towards the other villain. A teleporter and a speedster hey? she thought as she gathered her defences around her in preparation for the inevitable attack. These two are going to be such a nuisance...

The telekinetic shot a quick glance over at Kat to make sure she was ready, then looked at Marduk again. "Running in the halls isn't allowed," she said challengingly. "So I'm afraid you're going to have to come with us. Don't suppose you'd like to just surrender and tell us what you're looking for in here?"

GM

"Surrender? To you?" Marduk asked Glow in astonishment, incredulity dripping from his voice. 'Rapids fought back a grin as she said "Oh no! However will the great and powerful Marduk deal with such a fearsome offense? Tru-" "Rapids? Silence." the robed man snapped, eyes not wavering from the two young heroines. The tone of it, however, was sharp enough

Drawing himself up to his full height, he looked down at Kristin as he replied loftily, a dour smile growing on his young and haughty face "I will tell you what me and 'Rapids are searching for, as a courtesy to your kind for keeping this world in such good repair for ours: a piece of paper of great value to one or more individuals. And now you know that," he added softly, an aura like a blazing green light suddenly shining around him "so I can demonstrate why none of us surrender to the likes of you." and suddenly raising a hand over his head he grasped a handle that flashed into existence, gave a cry of "So falls the HAMMER OF MARDUK!" and sent a blast of mystic power slamming down at Glow's head!

Glow didn't move as Marduk raised his hand aggressively. She didn't flinch at his shout, and she didn't raise so much as a hand in defence as the rather arrogantly named 'Hammer of Marduk' fell towards her. Despite her stillness the blow simply stopped a couple of inches short of rattling her skull as it struck her defensive barrier with a resounding but ineffectual crash.

Green light flashed in her eyes as she grinned at the villain. "Hammer of fail?" she suggested as her telekinetic powers swirled around her, then lashed out at the man man with a hammer-like fist of mental energy that struck him solidly in the chest. "Want to reconsider that surrender thing before things turn really bad for you?" she asked as she eased into a fighting stance and flicked her eyes towards 'Rapids' as she prepared for the inevitable assault.

GM

The magician stared at the utter lack of effect, frowning and preparing to make a second attempt when Kristin made her less than complimentary remark about his attack. He was about to angrily protest Glow's description when the ram of psychic power rammed into him! Clutching his chest, Marduk fell to one knee before her with a groan of pain, the aura around him flickering fitfully. He did manage to mutter "No..s'rnder..." though!

Blinking in surprise, Rapids glared at the two young heroines and launched towards Glow in a stream of water vapor, swopping past the young telekinetic in a hail of fists that failed to so much as touch her, and sped off down the hall, soaking the carpet as she went.

Warp turned her head as Rapids made the dash through the hall, but when her eyes had finally found where the speedster had gone Rapids had already turned a corner, out of sight. She shook her head and turned back toward Marduk. "Your loss." she said, drawing on the caustic thing at her core, smoky darkness gathering over her hand.

She thrust her palm forward and red-black entropy howled forward and speared through Marduk. "It'd be great if you could just roll over now." Warp spread her stance and twirled her finger around in a circle, like that.

GM

The lance tore through the magician and slammed through the wall behind him with a howl of decay, and the two could see the magic surrounding him be torn away, unraveled by the power of entropy and the shreds disintegrated! A long second passed, then three, then four...and Marduk looked up to glare defiance at Glow and Warp. Smiling thinly he whispered "What?...Is that...all you've got...children?" the magic began to draw and gather back around him and his eyes started to glow again with luminous power.

"I think...you should prepare...a...shield, kid" he told Glow with a twitch of his lips, nearly collapsing again and wheezing for breath "Sh'll b'ak'soooon"

Glow's eyes flicked towards the corridor that the speedster had raced down and then back to Marduk as Warp's entropic bolt chewed away at his defenses. "You could still surrender," she mentioned with a raised eyebrow as she tightened her barriers around her in preparation for the inevitable fast-mover attack. "No? Fine then!"

A second telekinetic punch lashed out at the embattled villain, and this one landed squarely in the center of his chest as well. As Marduk reeled back from the impact Glow glanced at the corridor again in anticipation.

GM

Marduk crashed to the ground, his face contorted from the telekinetic impact. He hit the ground, coughing heavily and his robe tangled around him, just as the blue-clad woman tore back down the hallway in a blur, her fists this time not failing to land!

With a burst of water that turned to vapor, Rapids launched five hundred punches, kicks and headbutts at once, the muscular woman a whirl of smooth motion that hit like a freight train. At last the barrage ceased, and without waiting to see the result, the blonde raced out of sight, the hallway and cubicles around them now thoroughly soaked.

The girl called Rapids stormed past again spraying water all over Warp and hit Glow, hard, and vanishing down the hall. It was frustrating to have her own trick used against her, but that meant Warp knew how to deal with it. Warp turned down the hall Rapids had gone and raised her hand, biting on the inside of her lip as dark curled round her arm until it was just a misty black silhouette. The power strummed through her, eager to be released, eager to consume, but she held it back and took careful aim at where Rapids would soon be. Warp's smile was wicked.

Glow felt the unbelievably fast onslaught almost as a single blow against her barriers, but they held firm and kept her unharmed as the speedster dashed back off down the corridor. Standing amidst the cloud of water vapor left in her wake the telekinetic reset her feet and turned her gaze on Marduk once more.

The battered villain was lifted off the ground as her powers gathered him up then sent spinning back to the floor as she landed the mental equivalent of a right hook to his jaw. With the first threat dealt with she looked for Rapids once more and prepared to intercept the super fast woman if she looked like assaulting Warp instead.

GM

"Nef'fx'ooo" Marduk breathed as he crashed to the sodden floor, slumping into unconsciousness.

Right on cue the woman zoomed around the corner, legs blurring as she charged towards Glow's apparently unprotected back. Pulling back a fist and slamming it down on the telekinetic shield, Rapidsfire started leaping nimbly over the girl and tucked in as she prepared to land on the soggy carpet, spending just a second too long starting her arc. "TakethatkidI'llteachyouto-graaaagh!"

Warp's entropic bolt struck home and tore through the older woman. Her armor visibly started disintegrating under the ravening bolt of Terminus power, only for an explosion of water to somehow consume the blast. Crashing and rolling onto the floor, the woman in blue at last lay still, mumbling in quiet pain and twitching.

Rapids was a blur of motion, too fast for Warp to ever hope of catch. But the speedster wasn't faster than thought, and that was all it took to let the power coiled around her arm loose, swallowing Rapids in entropy that ate at her edges and left her near collapse. "You must be new to Freedom," Warp said, eyes shining red with entropic power. "So here's some ground rules for you while you're here; you don't get to break things. You don't get to steal things."

"And you don't get to hurt my friends," Warp snarled, and entropy screamed from her hands, hitting Rapids dead on . . . only to dissolve uselessly around her. "Uh . . ."

Slightly off balance from the punch that punctured her barriers and caught her squarely between the shoulderblades Glow missed with a vicious telekinetic counterpunch that smashed into the wall not far from the beleaguered speedster. She recovered quickly however, and a bounding somersault took her cleanly over a desk towards her foe.

As her feet hit the ground she stopped abruptly and rolled to the side, and the sudden change of direction forced Rapids to turn with her, which presented Warp with a clean shot at the fast-mover's back.

And just like that, Rapids was wide open. Warp drew her hand back for an attack to knock Rapids flat on her ass . . . But Rapids caught Warp as she was closing in, knocked the knife of her hand wide off target and into the empty air. Warp hid her wince behind a smirk. "You don't have a chance," she said, shoving her nose in the air. "I spent five years studying martial arts in the himalayas, under master Yen. I know five ways to kill a man with one finger, and ten to put them to sleep. You lost any chance of escape when I found you . . . " Lies, all lies. But they were distracting lies. Her eyes darted to Glow; take the shot.

GM

Rapidsfire was by now seriously questioning the chain of events that had led to this. Her armor was practically falling apart, the world reeled around her, and the two girls had turned from easy pickings into the kinds of heroes all villains hated to run up against: the competent ones.

Spitting out a small mouthful of blood onto the carpet from a slight cut in her cheek, the blue-clad water speedster looked up in sudden horror as Warp revealed that she had had a crash course of terrifying killing moves, eyes widening and mouth agape as realization sunk in of how badly she and Marduk had underestimated the pair. She was almost frozen in fear of just what the two would manage to do next! There was just one chance...

'Zeke!' she called out mentally, eyes fixed on the fearsome foe she faced 'We're in bad trouble here! They dropped 'Duk, and they're gonna get me too!' for a long moment there was no answer. She relaxed and looked up in even greater fear and the beginnings of desperation. Then she heard it.

The answering voice was warm, kindly, gentle and deep, with a whisper of ages behind it. It said in her mind 'Hang on Maria, I'll be there in just a second. They'll pay for this, by the Power I am given I promise'

Warp's distraction, outlandish though it was, provided a perfect opportunity for Glow, and the telekinetic gave her friend a nod as she gestured at a handily placed filing cabinet.  The heavy metal cabinet shuddered as it was pulled away from it's position against the wall and floated in mid-air for a moment, then flashed across the room and smacked Rapids squarely between the shoulderblades. The cabinet was heavy, and the speedster was pinned beneath it as she crashed to the carpeted floor.

"Whoops," Glow said a little sheepishly as she lifted the cabinet again and tossed it aside. "That was a little heavier than I thought. Although I guess I'm not really sorry, she sort of had it coming."

She looked back and forth between Marduk and Rapids for a moment, then shook some of the speedster's water out of her hair. "That could have gone worse," she said with a grin at Warp. "Come on, let's get them outside and hand them over to the police."

Warp had just been looking to get Rapid's attention on her for a second longer than she ought, but the stupid villian actually bought it, it was plain as day on her face; Warp kept up the lies in a steady stream, watched as Glow lifted up a cabinet and slam, down goes one speedster. Putting a hand on her waist and smirking down at the watery villainess, "'Course, the time you listen is when I'm not telling the truth. Sucker."

Next she turned to Glow. "Good plan," Warp's eyes flickered red again as she brought her power back to bear, picturing the outside of the building there, on the curb there, readied invisible talons to rip through the intervening space. "I wanna ride back to the station with them, figure out what they were looking for. Who Dri . . .She snapped her fingers, trying to conjure up the memeory. "Driugauno? Whoever that is. And 'Nephi' too."

"Yeah good plan," Glow said with a nod as she looked around the rather battered looking office. "This place looks pretty normal to me, not exactly the sort of place you expect to see a couple of villains turning over anyway. Some sort of paperwork? Maybe it's a business thing or something."

She shrugged as she glanced back at Warp. "Always a good idea to hang around 'til they're properly locked up as well," she agreed. "Heraldo and I made that mistake with El Sierpe, didn't turn out all that well at all. Well, alright in the end at least. Could have been a lot worse. And it's not like I really want to visit Mexico anyway..."

Light flickered around her as she gathered her powers and lifted the unconscious villains none-too gently off the floor with a simple gesture. The pair floated into the middle of the room where they bumped together lightly, then hovered in place , ready for Warp's portal. "Ready when you are!" the telekinetic reported. "Maybe spit us out a safe distance from the cops? I don't feel like doing the paperwork that comes with getting shot at."

Warp gave Glow a long look. "El Sierpe, huh? I did hear that you're apparently a felon in Mexico now, but I never caught the details. Sounds like a fun story." A crack of a smile. "I'll buy you ice cream after this if you promise to tell it."

"Far enough to keep the blue boys comfortable. Got it. One exit, coming right up." She edited her destination at Glow's prodding, away from the front of the steps, to the side . . . Next block? Too far. In the alley between this building and the next? Yes. Warp made a cutting motion with her hand and the air in front of them fissured open with a low wail, bathing the hall around them in red light.

"Icecream for stories?" Glow asked as she moved towards the portal. "Sold! Let's go then!"

She stepped through the portal with the battered pair of villains in tow and emerged safely in the alleyway. After a short wait for Warp to join her she started out towards the police cordon and let out a piercing whistle to attract their attention - as if the bright green halo of her telekinesis wasn't obvious enough. "We've got a couple of bad guys for you here," she called out as she walked towards the middle of the line, still floating Marduk and Rapids along behind her. "Did you bring power nullifiers or something? Because they're pretty annoying. Especially the fast one, she gets water everywhere."