The Law is a Mess

Supercape

January 13th, 2013

"This is the place" said Fred, in the cold rain of a miserable overcast January morning. It was just past nine and the city had failed to catch alight with its normal energy. People were tired, sluggish, and down after the festive period.

"Looks like it" said the mangy but large dog by his feet. The dog had looked around quite carefully to check nobody was listening before it spoke in a gruff, dog-like voice.

"Stay there, Ill just nip over and..." continued the dog, before scuttling off between some buildings and behind some trash cans. In the blink of an eye, the dog vanished, replaced by Harry "the Hound" Hound, wearing a crumpled mac, crumpled shirt, and crumpled tie. His hair was crumpled.

He was crumpled.

Fred didn't act surprised. He had seen Harry change several times now. Instead, he focussed on the building. He couldn't read the sign outside, but Harry had told him all about the place.

"Looks a bit...y'know...old and crumbly..." he said about the building.

"Just like our lawyer" said Harry, failing to light a damp cigarette in the rain.

"Still, what a thing, hey Harry? a dead Lawyer, all back to life n' everyfing! She must be something, eh. Must know a lot about the law and all. Good thinkin' as always, Harry. Good thinkin'. She must be dead good..eh?" he chuckled.

"Ha Ha" said Harry cynically.

"I'll tell you what, she is dead cheap. I'll give her that..." he said, cheering himself up.

At the back of both men's mind was that they were in a dangerous business. Harry was good at hiding and running if need be, and Freddy could more than take care of himself. But neither really wanted their lawyer at the end of a Mafia sniper's sights. Fred, particularly.

"Anyway, stay here and keep lefty and righty to yourself. Don't get into any trouble. Just..err..enjoy the rain..."

"Hmphhh..." said Fred, kicking a half eaten discarded hot dog in the gutter out of boredom.

"Right then, lets see what this lady has to say for herself..." said Harry, to himself, as he entered the building and knocked on the door to Ms. Lucy Harker's office. A natural coward, he had a slight sense of unease about her not-alive status. He had done his research, he had his contacts...

But she is cheap! he reminded himself.

Whilst Lucy liked being a hero but there were other way that she could help, she spent a lot of time and effort helping the locals of the community she chose to live within.

And there was this, a tiny office where for a few hours a day she met people to help with their problems. Sometimes it was legal advice or the occasional piece of superheroing, mostly it was just a friendly ear of someone who could just listen. She hadn't had a real case yet, but she more than ready for when the time came. It probably helped that she only charged what the person could afford, though if she heard the joke dead cheap one more time…

With her feet up on the table she read through today’s newspaper waiting for her first client to arrive.

NPC

Harry strode in, trying to keep his cool.

Hey she looks pretty hot...he thought to himself as an instant reaction, before reminding himself or her unique status.

"Hi, my names Harry Hound. Pleased to meet you Ms. Harker" he said, by way of introduction, sitting down in a slightly uncomfortable chair in a slightly uncomfortable posture. He just about resisted the urge to put his feet up on her desk.

Heck this place is nearly as...characterful...as ours!

"I got a proposition for you, lady! Me and my partner, we just opened up shop in the Fens. The Bloodhound Investigation Agency. We are Private Eyes, very professional, top quality!" he assured her, trying to smooth down his crumpled tie which defied all such attempts at professional appearance.

"Anyway, we are looking for a lawyer, someone, good, someone reliable, someone...economical, if you catch my drift!" he said.

"Someone dead cheap!" he quipped, with a wink.

Lucy gave Harry a friendly smile, whilst adopting a more professional posture.

“Please call me Lucy, I Iike to keep these things informal.â€

With his little joke her smile didn’t waver, but her eye narrowed a little. It was strange that for solid black orbs they could still be quiet expressive.

“Just so you know you’re not the first person to make that joke, or unfortunately not the last. I don’t exactly keep my un-dead nature a secret. And I want to make it clear that it won’t make any difference to my decision. But I normally deal with people not business.â€

She sat back and was now all business.

“Unless of cause you can convince me to help you, what do you do that would make me want to be your legal defender?â€

NPC

“Just so you know you’re not the first person to make that joke, or unfortunately not the last. I don’t exactly keep my un-dead nature a secret. And I want to make it clear that it won’t make any difference to my decision. But I normally deal with people not business.â€

"Ah yes...sorry about that..." said Harry, gulping somewhat. He still felt an uneasy what with her being undead and all. But then, practically everything made Harry uneasy. He took out a crumpled hankerchief and mopped his brow.

"Just nerves, what with you being...errr...differently alive and everything" he said, pulling at his tie and collar with anxiety.

She smell's dead too... he noticed. Not in an unpleasant way. Just in a not alive way. His nose was fairly acute even in human form.

“Unless of cause you can convince me to help you, what do you do that would make me want to be your legal defender?â€

"Well, my partner and I, we might get into a little bit of trouble with the Mob, ya know? A certain my Frankie Flames tried to burn down our agency last year. Least, tried to. Freddy - my partner - got hold of him and knocked the stuffing out of him....

...well, you see, the Mob is no friend of ours. So, aside from your fiscal attractiveness, it would be helpful to have a lawyer who isn't going to fall for a Thug and the wrong end of a revolver, if you catch my drift. I doubt you would be scared of them, what with you being...err...your...special status, and all!"

“Either you've done your research, or you’re a very lucky man.â€

She pulled up her hair to show a small scare on her forehead, the only mark on her flawless skin.

“I got this at the wrong end of a revolver as you so colorfully put it. If it wasn't for some very unusual circumstances that would have been the end of me. So I’ve have no love for the Mafia, but that’s not enough to get my help. After all for all I know you and your partner could have ripped them off or stole the heart of the Mob bosses daughter, or his son.â€

She wandered over to the door and opened it

“So why don’t you go get your partner, and the two of you can tell me the story. Then maybe, just maybe, I’ll agree to help you when needed. If your uncomfortable here there’s a really nice diner a block away. I’m not sure about the food, but the staff there are pleasant and when necessary discrete.â€

“So why don’t you go get your partner, and the two of you can tell me the story. Then maybe, just maybe, I’ll agree to help you when needed. If your uncomfortable here there’s a really nice diner a block away. I’m not sure about the food, but the staff there are pleasant and when necessary discrete.â€

A little later, at the 'Nice and Greasy' Diner...

"So that's what she said" explained Harry to Fred, who was tucking into the diners famous "Break the Steak" meal, a slab of poor quality steak on his plate, endowed with a variety of condiments. A few frazzled chips and limp looking vegetables sat on the side.

Harry played with a hot dog without eating it. Somehow, Revenant had taken away his appetite. It didn't help she looked pretty foxy, he decided.

"She seems great for us, man" drawled Freddy, wolfing down another piece of meat and burping.

Freddy was a pleased as punch about her. He felt in his gut, a soon as the Hound had tracked her down, that she would be the lady they needed.

"The Mob ain't gonna be touching her. Sounds like she can handle them pretty well, and don't like 'em muchways! Oh, hey, is that her? Tall pale lady, looking pretty swell?

"Yeah, that's her...." sighed Harry, not knowing quite why he was sighing.

Lucy walked over to the pair and offered Fred a friendly hand and a broad smile.

“Hello there I’m Lucy Harker, you must be Harry partner.†She waved at the waitress before sliding into the booth beside them “I hope the food okay, I tend to come here because the coffee so strong even I can taste it. It seems that since my return my sense have been dulled.â€

She gave a little shrug and began to drink the coffee so strong it looked like almost a solid.

“I’m sure you’ve got a few question about me, I can either answer your question first or we could start by you telling me your story…â€

“I’m sure you’ve got a few question about me, I can either answer your question first or we could start by you telling me your story…â€

For once, Freddy stepped in.

"Yeah, me and Harry here, we got a little business going. A detective agency. Harry does all the snoopin' and investigatin' and I...I do the other stuff. You know, when things get a bit tasty..."

He cracked his knuckles, arching an eyebrow.

"Don't get to thinkin' that I'm too short to fight, Missy" he said, shoving another piece of steak into his mouth and talking with his mouth full.

"Me, I'm one of the super-heroes. They call me Bloody Mess. I'm stronger than I look, and yeah, I look pretty strong..."

Despite himself, he flexed his muscles under his t-shirt to show off. He did it with, it must be said, a smile.

"Anyhows, back when I was younger, I got mixed up in a bad way with the Mob. They...took advantage of me, I guess. When I said no, they put a coupla' bullets in me, left me bleeding to death in the gutter. That's when I really got mad!"

He chuckled.

"Ever since then, I been out to get even. Both with the mob, and, yeah, to make up for what I got myself into. The Bloodhound detective agency we run, we are here to help people..."

"...for a price!" chirped in Harry.

Freddy frowned. "Yeah, well, if they can pay. But basically, we are here to do good. I'm going to be one of them super heroes!" he smiled.

He cracked his knuckles again.

"Me and lefty and righty" he added, showing the appropriate fists.

Over the many years she had learnt to trust her instincts, even more I the years since she had returned. Whilst they might be a little rough around the edges their hearts were in the right place.

Didn’t mean she was going to make it easy.

Getting a refill she raised an eyebrow.

“I’ve done a bit of heroine myself, go by the name of Revenant. You might have seen me on the television, punching a dragon? They seem to like that film.â€

Suppressing a smile she sipped the coffee, trying to decide how they could help each other.

“What would I get from this? I assume you’re not exactly rolling in moolah?â€

“I’ve done a bit of heroine myself, go by the name of Revenant. You might have seen me on the television, punching a dragon? They seem to like that film.â€

"Wow that's awesome!" said Harry, scratching his head and giving a bright and broad smile. "I saw that! it was all wham...bang....wow!"

He stood up and swung his fists in broad circles, imitating the event, before calming down.

“What would I get from this? I assume you’re not exactly rolling in moolah?â€

"That's true" conceded Harry.

"Well, you get to put some mooks behind bars!" added Freddy. "We need someone who can help us out with all that law stuff, you know, paper work and so on..."

“But I can do that myself. And there’s much less chance that anyone will get hurt. I’ve been prosecuting Mobsters before the two of you were even born.â€

It was just the one gangster, and it cost her everything, but it proved her point.

It was a forgone conclusion she was going to help them, as she seemed to have a soft spot for forlorn causes. And these two defiantly fitted the bill. She stared at the two of them over the top of her coffee mug

“Partners, I’ll be a silent partner of cause. With that I’ll provide whatever help you need, legal, financial or even giving a hand. In return I might ask you to do favors for me or my clients, free of charge of cause.â€

NPC

“Partners, I’ll be a silent partner of cause. With that I’ll provide whatever help you need, legal, financial or even giving a hand. In return I might ask you to do favors for me or my clients, free of charge of cause.â€

"Free?!?!" yelped the Hound, almost barking.

"Sounds great!" replied the Mess, smacking his brazen fist into the table and causing it to shudder. "Sounds like we got ourselves a lawyer! Thanks, miss! We are sure to do some good business, eh? Putting some knuckleheads behind bars? this is gonna be great!"

"Free?" whimpered Freddy. "Oh very well, then. Free it is. You scratch our backs, we scratch yours. Heck, with my partner's bleeding heart, he would probably take on every case without charge. We wouldn't need the mob to burn us down. Our accountant would sink us within a month. Honestly, I don't know why we do it, sometimes, I really don't..."

He turned away in vexation, but Lucy caught a smile on his mouth as his head rotated.

Lucy gave another one of her friendly smiles.

“Well in that case I can draw up a contract…†she saw a little look in Fred’s eyes, something she remembered from Back in her days “…or I’m happy with a verbal contract.†She flawlessly added without missing a bit.

With a little concentration, she still wasn’t use to modern telephone numbers, she wrote down her the telephone number of the place she lived.

“I really must get back to my office soon, and I’m sure you’ve got cases to be working on, but before we part ways are there any questions you want to ask me?â€

NPC

“I really must get back to my office soon, and I’m sure you’ve got cases to be working on, but before we part ways are there any questions you want to ask me?â€

"A contract would be fine ma'am!" replied Harry.

She could outsmart me with all that legal tape he thought to himself but I gotta good feeling about her! even if she is dead!

He nudged his partner and both stood up.

"It's a pleasure meeting you ma'am!" he said, shaking her hand and adjusting his tie. He gave a friendly lopsided grin.

"You are just the kind of girl...lady...we need. Someone who knows how to handle the system, and you can eat bullets for breakfast!" he said cheerily.

And with that, and a final chug of now-cold coffee, The Hound and The Mess said goodbye to their new lawyer.

~ Fin ~