Bloody Mess and the Hound

Supercape

The Interview with Freddy "Bloody Mess" Furlong and Harry "the Hound" Hound.

Captain Jack Harkwell is registering the Bloodhound detective agency for license as an independent investigator status. Answering his questions to the satisfaction of the Law is Harry Hound, a.k.a “The Houndâ€. Answering his questions honestly is Freddy Furlong, a.k.a “Bloody Messâ€.

1: So, I see here that you, Mr. Hound, have a police record. That is, you were a serving police officer?

HH: That’s right officer! I started on the beat, like you I expect, getting to know the ropes as they say. Of course, there were a few hiccups, had a few problems with the commanding officer, he was a right ba…err…decent guy. Well, you know, the odd disciplinary for lateness and so on, nothing serious, you know. Anyway, passed my detective exams eventually with a flying borderline pass, then decided to voluntarily leave the force after I got kicked out.

2: And you, Mr. Furlong. You too, have a police record, of a…different kind, I see…

FF: What, you mean when I got done for assault on that doorman on that club that didn’t pay up for the mob? Or when I knocked out Jim Jawbreaker in that fight on Steel street? Or when those cops arrested me for theft when I broke into…

HH: Yes yes, well as you can see officer, all those charges were when my associate here was a junior. He was in particular trouble with the organised crime of the area, and there were exceptional circumstances in his favour. Fortunately, he is now firmly on the right side of the law!

3: I see here that you, Mr. Furlong, are known as “Bloody Messâ€, on account of your super powers. Would you, for the record, tell me what they are?

FF: Yeah, I’m real good at hitting people. I’m real strong see? I can punch any bad guys out in one punch, wham bang! *punches fist into palm* Oh, yeah, and I can control blood. It’s a real neat trick, you want to see it? Its real neat, first I throw up all my blo…

HH: Yes, that’s right officer, my associate here is called Bloody Mess. He has the powers of super strength and the ability to control blood.

4: Very well. And as such, I see that you have registered yourself as having these super powers and that this agency has, under section 147-f of the revised addendum to the private investigations act, noted you as a super powered investigator on this premise. Is that correct?

FF: That’s right, I got super powers. Me and HH, we both got…

HH: We both have a vested interest in making this agency work, officer! For the good of the comm

unity and to fight crime everywhere!

5: Could you comment on your medical status for the purpose of registration?

FF: I’m in great shape! Hey, they said I didn’t grow so good when I was young, and well, I guess they were right. I’m a bit short. But hey, I’m real strong!

HH: I’m ok officer. Well, I smoke a bit too much, gives you a cough in the morning eh? Freds in great shape, despite his, er, vertical dimensional issues. He needs to drink a lot, and eat a lot of iron, due to his particular abilities, of course. And, well his last head scan showed a few to knocks to the head, I think they said it was cortical contusions.

FF: Hey, I’m a fighter! I’m proud of it!

6: What do you intend to do with the agency?

FF: Help people!

HH: That’s right, officer! Help people who pay us an appropriate fee. Help them fight crime! Help them fight injustice!

FF: Help people!

7: What is your current assessment of the Fens and your location?

FF: It’s a rough place, man. I grew up here. Kids here, they ain’t got much of a chance have they? Rough streets, rough schools. Man, this place needs us. When nobody else round here ain’t gonna help, that’s where we step in. To help people who, well, who need a little bit more help than what society can give em, you know? People who need something extra…

HH: That’s right, officer, people who need help and can pay us to help! The Fens are full of corruption and crime. So it’s really helpful to the community to have an independent service for investigation and crime prevention that can be contracted for a suitable fee to provide that additional level of security!

8: For the purposes of equal opportunities, and anti-discriminatory legislation, have you put in place appropriate policies for your company to avoid any such practice?

HH: That’s right officer. We are committed to serving and treating everyone equally, whatever their nationality, race, gender, or sexual orientation!

FF: Yeah, or whether they are rich or poor!

HH:….

FF: We treat ‘em all the same! Even the Italian’s who live round here, some of them ain’t mobsters!

9: Apart from yourselves, are there any other employees, pets, friends, or family that have access to or reside in the premises?

FF: Yeah there is Gemma, the cleaner. She is from Poland, like my Grandpappy. Real nice. She does a good job and she is friendly! She grew up round here too! She’s got a key.

HH: I gave a key to my sister, Penny. She is a cook and sometimes comes to give us a good meal. Oh, and, erm…sometimes we let this stray dog in…Harry takes it for walks and stuff sometimes…

10: Are there any firearms or other dangerous weapons on the premises?

FF: Nah, we don’t deal with guns or knives or stuff like that. They hurt people. I ain’t doing any of that stuff no more. From now on, its just lefty and righty! (*shows his fists*)

HH: Ya gotta be kidding me, officer. Guns are dangerous! They have bullets in them!!!

11: Have you approval from the local population for your business?

FF: Yeah, I think folks are pretty happy we are here. You know, the mob got its fingers in a lotta pies round here, but the end of the day, most folks don’t like that. And they don’t like any gutter thugs getting nasty either. I guess they pretty happy Bloody Mess is looking out for them. And you too, of course, Harry! I know you are a real hero!

HH:….

12: I have to note down your next of kin in case of…ahem…any unfortunate incidents…

FF: My dad, Paps. Alex Furlong. He’s a good guy, gave me my first boxing lesson, sent me to the gym when I was six…

HH: Yeah, I guess its Penny, my sister, now. My folks passed away last year, one after the other. Divorced years ago though. Penny Hound, unmarried but been with her man for years. She’s a cook, lives local. We get on good.

13: As for the premises themselves, have they been adequately secured and inspected?

HH: They certainly have officer! What with living down here, we are sure to make a few enemies! The building is reinforced, concrete and steel framework, and we have invested in double entry door system with plated doors and secure deadlocks. It would take a lot to pick that lot. And we have an automated fire system. Sure, someone determined could get in here, but they would have to be pretty determined. A good investment, it keeps the insurance down, although those leeches still screwed us for all they could get!

14: I’m pleased to hear it. And could you talk me through the features of this building?

HH: Of course, officer! It’s a converted warehouse. I used my inheritance money to set it up after they kicked me out of, I mean I left the force. You see here, we have a kitchen, some bedrooms. I even set up a Gym for Fred so he can keep in shape – those weights cost a fortune, they weigh a ton. Fred and I live pretty much live here now, it’s pretty comfy, got a TV and lounge and everything. Sure, I have a bed with my sis, and Fred with his parents, and I guess we split our time between this place and our own patch. I guess it’s a double life.

FF: It’s cool here. Lot a space, and the Gym is neat!

15: To register you both, I need to fill out some personal details. I need to clarify that some of this information is for anti-discriminatory purposes and you are not obliged to answer, although by doing so you will help ensure fair and equitable civil practice. Firstly, can I note your marital status and sexual orientation?

FF: Err…I think that means I’m single, and yeah, I like girls. Nothing against guys who go for a bit of the other, ya know? All that matter’s is that yer honest and decent.

HH: Single. Heterosexual.

16: Religious orientation?

FF: I guess its Christian. Eastern Orthodox, I think my Paps said it was. I guess I ain’t been to church for a while, although the priests seemed like good guys, they always helped the community. Even the mobs seemed to leave them alone. The man upstairs, he seems to have been lookin' after me anyhows...

HH: Catholic. Ex-Catholic, I mean. Traders in guilt and lies. Heck, you can put me down as atheist, officer. But you know, brought up Catholic and it never really leaves you does it? Fire and Brimstone forever and ever amen and all that? Guess I’m saying three hail Mary’s under the cross tonight for that blasphemy. Just in case.

17: Ethnicity?

FF: American.

HH: White American. I have some Italian on my mother’s side. But whaddya know? I still don’t like pasta. Gimme a good old fashioned American hot dog any day, and wash it down with a German Beer. And Freddy, I think he means where did your parents come from?

FF: Well I’m still American ain’t I? I was born here? Mam and Dad came from Europe, you know, when Russia and all that became democratic. They didn’t have two dimes together, but they made it in America! The land of the free! That’s what I am! American!

18: As Private Investigators, you are both officially deputised as police officers. Mr. Hound, I am sure you are totally familiar with the roles and responsibilities of this position. Are you both prepared to carry out this duty in its entirety, to protect and serve the community as official deputies of the law?

FF: Sure thing! Lets get out their and kick some crook’s asses! Protect and Serve, that’s us officer! You can count on us!

HH: Yeah….sure….right on….*sigh*….

19: I think that’s all…wait, I note here that there have been reports of you using a dog in your investigation, Mr. Furlong?

FF: That’s right, it’s Harry when…

HH: When I have, on occasion, used my experience as a dog handler, I have, on occasion, called upon said expertise to use said dog in said investigations. We do have a dog we occasionally use for tracking and drug detection and so on, we like to use all available resources. Fred is very good at taking him out and about in the field. I, um, well, I do the training and handling here, um, without anyone else present. On my own.

20: Thank you very much. I am pleased to inform you that the Bloodhound Detective Agency is approved for purposes of private investigations. Thank you for your cooperation. And now, may I ask if you have anything to drink?

FF: Sure, I got a crate of Guinness! Keeps my Iron levels up. I drink it all the time…

HH: Ahem..except when working of course. Let me get you a coffee, officer. I drink it all the time…

HellQ

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

Bloody Mess, Pugilistic Crime Fighter, Blood-Controlling Mutant.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

Freddy “the Fists†Furlong when I was growing up. Some people called me “Short Stuff†on occasion, before I knocked ‘em silly.

What is your full birth name?

Fredrick Zarek Furlong

Where do you live?

The Fens. Sometimes with my Parents, sometimes in the office.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

I’m twenty eight, born in 1985.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

Male

How would you describe your heritage?

My parents both came from Eastern Europe. From all over Eastern Europe, Poland, Czeckoslovakia, Eastern Germany, Romania…but mostly, on my mother’s side from Poland.

How tall are you?

I’m five foot two and a bit. Who’s asking?

What is your body type?

I’m nearly as broad as I am tall. And baby I got muscles. Check out these guns!

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

Well, I gotta drink a lot of fluid, and eat a lot of iron, to keep up my powers.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

Hey, I’m all of those things? I’m short but I walk tall! I’m heavy and powerful, but when I want to be, I can move quick and quiet.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

I got white skin, you know, with a little bit of color, not like pale white or anything. Green eyes, and Brown hair.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

I have short hair. I guess I don’t comb it as much as I should do, it’s a bit of a mess. And yeah, I probably don’t shave too often, so I often have a bit of stubble.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

Hey, I been punched in the face to many times to be pretty! I’m a fighter not a lover. Broken nose and a body like a brick.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

A got a few scars, yeah, although I heal up pretty well. You can’t really notice them.

Do you resemble anyone famous?

Maybe some of those bodybuilders a bit.

Do you have a dominant hand?

My right hand. But when I’m fighting, I use my righty and my lefty, and they will both knock ya out!

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Hey, with my body I’ll take anything I can fit into. That normally means t shirts and joggers.

Do you wear makeup?

No way, man.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

It’s low.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

I pick my nose. Hey, it gets blocked up after it got broke, you know. All kindsa snot in there. And I spit when I get something in the back of my mouth. And I guess I fart sometimes what with all the meat I eat. Better out than in, I say.

History

Where do you come from?

The Fens, man. The streets.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

No.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

I sure do. I’m 100% American. God bless America!

How do you feel about the place you come from?

The same!

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

It’s the Fens. It’s a bit of a dump, you know? Crime, thugs, the mob. But there are good people there too. People who help other people when things are down. People who are kind. People who got spirit.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

Yeah I was one of the gang in the street. I guess I wanted to fit in. Trouble is, I went to far that way, got in with the wrong crowd in a bad way. Started fighting, started boxing, then the Mob got me, started giving me good money to do their bad things. Not too bad, at first, but then, yeah, bad, till I said no way. I feel real bad about that stuff now. I did it for my parents, but yeah, I was wrong. Dad gave me a hiding for that.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

I’m good at fighting. Guess that’s always been what I’ve been best at. Got me into trouble at first, but from now on, it’s gonna get the bad guys into trouble.

Gotta be honest, I weren’t no good at school. I can’t read or write. Never went to school much, and weren’t much good when I was there…

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

No.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

I guess when Paps, me dad, took me to my first boxing lesson when I was six. I was good at it, and I loved it ever since. I ain’t been much good at anything before hand, and I guess not so much good at much since. For once, it made me feel like I was somebody, you know?

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

Hey, where do I start? I got into all sorts of trouble! Fighting, stealing sweets, truanting. It got more serious when I got older, in my teenage years. When I learned I was…a mutant. Then the mob got to me.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

I didn’t go to school much, if at all. I hated it.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

They are all at my parent’s. I can’t really call them mementos. They are still there.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

It’s when I stood up to the mob. I said I ain’t doing this no more. I got shot for it, but I got back up, and fought back. And you know what, it felt good. It felt right. That’s when Harry found me. He needed a partner, someone who could handle himself in a fight. That’s when we set up the Bloodhound detective agency.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

No.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Plenty of things when I was working – reluctantly – for the Mob.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

No. I am what I am. You like me, or you don’t. Deal with it.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

Well, my paps told me to be honest. I guess I wouldn’t like what I had done to come out though. I’d make sure it didn’t if I could.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

Yeah, and it’s with the police. Its clean now, cause I was young when I did that stuff, and I stood up to the mob, and all sorts of good reasons. Well, that is, the stuff they know about.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

Alex (Father), Dasha (Mother)

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

Yes.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

They are liked enough. Honest working folk. My dad, he worked as a steel plant, but now, he helps down the gym. My mother works at the community centre as a translator.

Where are your parents now?

They still live in the Fens.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

They stayed in the Fens all their lives. Moved a few times as they went from being penniless to poor.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

I always got on well enough with them, except for when I got in trouble, then they gave me hell for it. They always loved me.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

They are really proud of me now.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

No.

What was your birth order in the family?

I’m the first and only!

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

I love both of my parents!

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

My dad, he taught me to box. He is getting on a bit now, but he still has a mean left hook!

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

I was! I went off the rails when I was a kid.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

No.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

No.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

Sure! I’d love a girlfriend or wife, and maybe some kids! Maybe lots of kids!

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

Someone sweet and kind. Someone who understands me and forgives me. Someone who gots a nice laugh and a good heart. Yeah, a real good heart.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

Yeah, from the Fens. A few. Billy Cansiz, he was a nipper, always thieving, but a good mate. He did some time inside. Now he works in a deli. Pops in, we laugh about the old times over some bagels. Jed Ward, class swot. Yeah I know, but he got me out of homework, and stopped him getting bullied. He is an accountant now, handles our business. You know, after all these years, we still kinda look after each other. And I guess I kinda like Gemma, our cleaner. Yeah, I like her. She has a real good heart, she is lovely…

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

I guess Harry. Harry Hound. He got me back on my feet. Partnered up with me, together we got the Bloodhound detective agency. He is a real good detective. And me and lefty and righty, we can handle any trouble, y’see?

When I got shot, and I fought back. Harry got wind of it, found me out, and asked me to join. Hey, I needed something, and Harry gave me it. Now, I bust criminals instead of being one. Harry is a good man.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

My parents, my friends. I guess the police too.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

I had a few girls when I was growing up. Cant say they were good girls. They just liked the thrill of hanging around mobsters. But, me, I was a fighter, not a lover.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

The mobsters. When I grew up, they knew I could fight, and they pressured me into fighting for them. First in the fights, illegal fights, for betting. Then extortion. Then, it just got worse. Me and them, we got unfinished business.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

Hey, me and them, it could go down at any time. They know better than to provoke me to badly though. If they get my family, I’m gonna tear through every brick and gook they have, tear them apart.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Led me astray.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

To my family, to Harry, to my community, to the law, and to America.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

My family and Harry.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

The mob, and people who are just plain mean. And people who hit dames. That just ain’t right. That just so ain’t righ’t. My daddy, he always drummed that into me.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

You know, its just about helping other people, you know? Helping people who need help? Community spirit? I reckon I got that.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

Being mean, not looking after one another. You know, like some suits or rich folk? Treading on another man just to make a buck. The mobs do that.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

No.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

Yeah, sure. Me and Harry, we a perfect partnership. I guess I don’t lead, but I don’t follow any old fool either.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

No.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

I am a member of the community centre where my mum works, and a member of the local boxing gym where my dad works. I help out where I can anywhere in the community.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

Muhammed Ali, for sure. The Centurian was a kick ass dude, too. My dad will always be a hero to me.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

No.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

Yeah, its cool. I love helping people.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

I can’t say there is. I guess if my parents were in trouble, I’d go through hell to protect them.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

Set up the business, get a reputation.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

Clean up the Fens, clear out the mob from Freedom City.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

My parents getting hit by the Mob. I guess I just have to endure that fear. I have to play the Mob, they don’t hit me that way, I don’t hit them too hard.

Is there anything you would give you life for?

Sure, for my parents, or some kids…hell, a lot. That’s what being a hero is about.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

Hey, as long as you have enough to eat and have a few clothes, you are o.k.

How do you generally treat others?

Fair and square. If I need to get something out of them, yeah, I’ll scare the hell out of them. You don’t want to mess with me on a bad day…

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

I grew up on mean streets. Trust, ya have to earn. But I give it when its been earned. Sure, you get stabbed in the back now and then, but thems the breaks.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

I’m outgoing, I guess, but I don’t need a whole heap of attention. I’m confident. Nobody messes with me!

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

I guess I’m not used to pretty girls. I get a little awkward. Not a lot, just a bit. You know, pretty girls ain’t for me to be honest. I like nice ones.

What are your most annoying habits?

I lose my temper, I know. Bad habit. Someone gets me the wrong way, and I start swinging…

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

The Mob, I guess?

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

Steak. I need a lot of Iron in my diet, cos of my powers, y’see?

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

Guinness, for the same reason!

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Ice cream.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Nah, I eat most stuff.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

I like red, of course!

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

Rock n’ Roll, baby! The Stones are the best. Old, but classic! But, you know, when I was the Mob, I liked some of that opera stuff.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

Well…hey, I know this is kinda weird, but blood smells nice…

Do you have a favorite animal?

Dogs, because Harry turns into one!

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

I guess it would have to be our headquarters for the Detective Agency. That’s where we operate. That’s where I turned it around.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

Roughing it mainly. As long as I have a cold brew, a TV, and a comfortable sofa.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

I’ll do most anything I can do. Which would mean no desk job.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

Maybe, I dunno. I mean, I go to church, but it’s not a big part of my life. I guess the big man in the sky looking after me.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

My mother, she brought me up and took me to church.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

Not so often, maybe once a month at most. The priests are nice people, help out. That’s good. I guess I don’t believe in everything they say.

Could you kill? Have you killed?

I musta come pretty close in some of my fights…I guess maybe I did. Truth is, I don’t really know. Right now? I guess, if I got in a rage, or someone was threatening my family. But, you know, killing ain’t right. I ain’t gonna have knives or guns around me, no way. It’s just lefty and righty.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

I seen violence. It ain’t pretty. It gets real ugly, real fast, especially when you pull a knife or a gun. Don’t get me wrong, I ain’t gonna shy away from a fight, but I know how bad it can get, I know how a killing kills a community.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

There ain’t any I can think of right now. 'spose its better to kill than be killed, ain't it?

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

I guess each man gotta make that own decision for himself.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

Ain’t got much to be stolen, to be honest. Guess it would depend why it was stolen. See, if a man is hungry, theivin food, well that’s just living. That’s how it is on the streets. But, thieving just cos you are greedy, that’s wrong, man. I’d hunt him down and take it back, and give him a hiding.

How would you react to public humiliation?

I’d get pretty angry I guess. Maybe I could take it on the chin and laugh it off. Depends. Be one way or the other, no middle ground.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

I’d get mad. I’d get even.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Killing. Taking a life is the worst.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

Eat a good steak, watch a good movie, get drunk, go on a rollercoaster, and hug my parents.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

I learned how to box from an early age. I know how to fight real well, not just boxing but street fighting.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

I learned how to control blood after I was shot. It just kinda came naturally to me. Harry helped me experiment with it a bit.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

No.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

I worked for the Mob a bit. I also used to do some bare knuckle and gloved boxing, till they found out I was a mutant. Worked as a doorman and a labourer a few times.

What is your preferred combat style?

Boxing and streetfighting, a bit of both. Boxing works, real well, but in a real life fight, you fight dirty, you use whatever you can. Yeah, and if I got a lamp post or a girder I can pick up and swing, I would use that too.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

No.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

I’d like to know a bit more about detecting. Harry handles most of that right now. I can’t read. Wish I could learn.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

I guess I really admire Harry, and try and learn from him. I always get a bit embarrassed I can’t read.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

Getup whenever, have a cooked breakfast. The English way, you know? Bacon, eggs, Ham, Sausages. Turn on the Radio to Classic Rock, and check the comm station, see if anything comes in. Work out at the Gym. Might go to Parents, or the community centre. Billy might pop round for lunch and some food. So might Penny. Might take a stroll, see if any trouble in the community. In the evening, cook a big steak, probably hit a bar, might catch a movie. Of course, if we have a job on, Harry usually tells me what to do, and together we go investigating!

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

Working out.

What do you do for fun?

Movies, Funfairs.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

When I want to, or need to be, a proper superhero, I have this costume. Its all red, like blood red. Boots, trousers, and tank top. And I got this cool mask over my eyes, just like real superheroes use to protect their identity!

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

Casual. T shirt, joggers, trainers. Maybe a jacket. Its hard to get clothes that fit me.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

Boxer shorts.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

A got a gold watch. It’s a bit crummy, second hand. But hey, I like it.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

We got a safe in the office.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

Car or train. We got a beat up old BMW we use when detecting. Harry is quite a good driver, and I can drive ok.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

No.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

I guess my blood type is pretty unique!

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

A good guy.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

Maybe, if I lost my temper real bad.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My strength, of course! My strength, and the strength of my heart.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

My temper, and, well…I ain’t the smartest guy in the block. I know that. But I got spirit.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Listen to Harry, he is smarter than you, and you know it. But follow your heart. You are a good man, and keep true to that.

• 1 month later...

Harry "the Hounds" notebook of important contacts:

Ricky Ferreti

No good barfly toad. Hangs around the Fens. Runs when he can. But his nose is so close to the gutter, he picks up plenty of dirt. And even though he is a slimy one, he usually comes good and tells the truth. So far. 

Sam Gannon

Public defender. Smart ass lawyer who thinks he knows it all. Hell, he probably does. He is a good guy, sent us a load of work. Ok, so a lot of it was charity cases who couldn't pay a dime, but its work even so. He is good for our reputation. 

Lance Ricks

Police guy. Don't hold that against him. He knows his stuff. A whizz with all that computer stuff and looking at pictures and everything. We go back, I helped him sort himself when he started using. Good kid, need to make sure he stays on the straight and narrow...

Detective Kimberly Stine

Fens detective. Killer smile. Killer legs. Killer...oh hell, killer everything. Bet she breaks a few hearts down at the cop shop. Best keep on her good side. She knows whats going down. More to her than a pretty smile. And pretty legs. And pretty...[entry redacted].