Building a Better Zombie Contest

Barnum

I have been fine tuning my zombie builds for the game this Saturday. I think I have just the right build for the character's I've made, but in the interest of taking this further, I'd like to see some other zombie builds.

So, you guys post your best zombie builds here. And before you ask, the answers to all of your questions are: "Yes" and "Whichever you prefer."

Examples:

Question: Should these be Romero zombies or "28 Days Later" zombies?

Answer: "Whichever you prefer."

Question: Can they be any PL?

Answer: Yes.

Question: Can our builds break the rules to account for zombie transformation, decomposition, cosmic rays, and how stupid people in Zombie moves turn out to be.

See? Easy, right?

Answer: Yes. :D

I don't know what the prize for best zombie will be . . . probably not much. ;) But you know you can't turn down a challenge like this. Okay, maybe you can, but don't turn it down this time. :D

All discussion and posted builds go here.

And . . . go!

I have been fine tuning my zombie builds for the game this Saturday. I think I have just the right build for the character's I've made, but in the interest of taking this further, I'd like to see some other zombie builds.

So, you guys post your best zombie builds here. And before you ask, the answers to all of your questions are: "Yes" and "Whichever you prefer."

Examples:

Question: Should these be Romero zombies or "28 Days Later" zombies?

Answer: "Whichever you prefer."

Question: Can they be any PL?

Question: Can our builds break the rules to account for zombie transformation, decomposition, cosmic rays, and how stupid people in Zombie moves turn out to be.

See? Easy, right?

Answer: Yes. :D

I don't know what the prize for best zombie will be . . . probably not much. ;) But you know you can't turn down a challenge like this. Okay, maybe you can, but don't turn it down this time. :D

All discussion and posted builds go here.

And . . . go!

From The Journal of Franklin von Mookenstein.:

Zombies

Like skeletons, zombies are the animated remains of the dead, mindless automatons enslaved to the will of whomever created them. Frustratingly slow, the basic zombie is used mainly for brute labor requiring a strong hand when speed is not a factor, such as turning a mill wheel or picking crops. Zombies are seldom clothed in anything more than the rotting remnants of whatever they were wearing when slain.

Zombies are unable to draw conclusion or take initiative, and can only follow exceedingly basic instructions, such as “turn this wheel.” Like skeletons, the basic nature of a zombie has lead several necromancers and mad scientists to develop optional features for them.

Zombie, Basic (Power Level 1/Minion Rank 1)

Attributes: STR 13 (+1), DEX 8 (-1), CON ---, INT ---, WIS 10 (+0), CHA ---. [-29pp]

Saves: TOUGH +2, FORT ---, REF -1, WILL --- [0pp]

Combat: ATT +1, GRAPPLE +2, DAMAGE +1 (slam), DEF -1, KNOCKACK -1, INIT -1. [0pp]

Skills: None. [0r = 0pp]

Feats: None. [0pp]

Powers: [32pp]

*– Immunity 30 (Fortitude effects) [30pp]

–* Protection 2 [2pp]

Drawbacks: Disability (permanently Staggered, can only perform a single move action or standard action each round; -3pp)

Trade-Offs: -1 Defense for +1 Toughness.

Totals: ATT -29 + SV 0 + COM 0 + SK 0 (0r) + FT 0 + POW 32 - DB 3 = 0pp

Variations

[*:1vxiza7o]Awakened Intellect 1 - Animal-Like: Perhaps a steady diet of brains made this zombie smarter than the others. Perhaps whatever force animated it just needed time to rearrange its neurons into a quasi-functioning brain, primitive though it may be. Zombies with this level of awakened intellect possess an Intelligence score of 2/-4 and a Charisma score of 1/-5, and Immunity 10 (mental effects). They can single out specific targets and take them out first without instruction, and are able to use flanking tactics. They can and will hunt opponents, savaging prey like a rabid hound, and will shamble away from a losing battle if overwhelmed. Their Power Level and Minion Level remain the same (13pp).
    [*:1vxiza7o]Awakened Intellect 2 - Dim: Zombies with this level of awakened intellect possess an Intelligence score of 4/-3 and a Charisma score of 1/-5, and Immunity 10 (mental effects). They can identify the weakest and strongest members of a group (i.e., those with high or low Toughness saves), set ambushes, flank opponents, use cover, and use basic tools such as melee weapons. Their Power Level and Minion Level remain the same (15pp).
    [*:1vxiza7o]Awakened Intellect 3 - Aware: Zombies with this level of awakened intellect possess an Intelligence score of 6/-2 and a Charisma score of 1/-5, and Immunity 10 (mental effects). They can spy on opponents and recognize weaknesses, identify people and objects, use more advanced tools such as ranged weapons. These undead can also speak in limited phrases, such as “Brains!” and “Send more paramedics.” Their Power Level remains the same, but their Minion Level increases to 2 (17pp).
    [*:1vxiza7o]Diseased Zombie: Rotting corpses are often rife with contagions, but zombies of this type can use those diseases as a weapon, infecting both those they batter with their fists and anyone who comes into contact with them. Diseased zombies have Drain DEX and CON 2 (Aura, Disease; Permanent; 16pp). Their Power Level increases to 2, and their Minion Level increases to 2 (16pp).
    [*:1vxiza7o]Hunter Zombie: These zombies have had a spark of their primitive mind awoken, gaining abilities revolving around tracking down prey. Alternatively, the zombie may be some composite patchwork, with dog or wolf parts sewn onto it. Hunter zombies gain a +4 bonus to Wisdom (to 14/+2), 4 ranks in Notice (+6 total modifier), and Super-Senses 2 (scent, tracking; 2pp). Their Power Level and Minion Level remain the same (7pp).
    [*:1vxiza7o]Savage Zombie: Savage zombies don’t pummel the foes they’re directed to attack, they try and crack open skulls and feast on the pink goo inside. They bite instead if slamming with their fists, and gain Improved Critical (bite). Their Power Level and Minion Level remain the same (1pp).
    [*:1vxiza7o]Swift Zombie: Heroes expecting slow-moving automatons will think twice after facing this variant. Swift zombies gain Defensive Roll 1 (Toughness +2/+1 flatfooted) and Dodge Focus 2 (Defense +1), gain Speed 1 (10 mph; 1pp), and lose their disability Drawback. Their Power Level increases to 2, but their Minion Level remain the same (7pp).
    [*:1vxiza7o]Voudoun Zombies, Living: Possibly the most “real” of all the undead given here, Voudoun zombies are seen in places where Afro-Caribbean and Creole spiritual belief systems are dominant, or at least strongly rooted. Voudoun zombies are not undead, but rather are living people in a perpetual drug-induced state of dissociative hallucination. A bokor (“evil sorcerer”) who wishes to turn a person into a zombie slips him a “magic potion” containing a precisely measured dose of tetrodotoxin, the poison found in the puffer fish. The potion places the victims into a death-like coma for a time, and if the victim’s friends and family don’t know better they may bury him. The bokor then retrieves the body and is present when the death-like state wears off, and periodically administers hallucinogenic compounds. The ingrained cultural beliefs – “I have died and risen due to the actions of a bokor, therefore I must be a zombie, therefore I must act like a zombie” – are amazingly strong, though the zombie-like responses may also be due in part to brain and nervous system damage from the poisonous potion and a prolonged period without air while buried. Living Voudoun Zombies have the same stats as a Bystander.
    [*:1vxiza7o]Voudoun Zombie, Undead: Voudoun zombies do also exist in the bona fide undead form. Zombies of this type have a Weakness to salt – if it tastes even one grain of salt, it will immediately realize it is dead and either run back to its grave and rebury itself, or simply collapse on the spot.

From The Journal of Franklin von Mookenstein.:

Zombies

Like skeletons, zombies are the animated remains of the dead, mindless automatons enslaved to the will of whomever created them. Frustratingly slow, the basic zombie is used mainly for brute labor requiring a strong hand when speed is not a factor, such as turning a mill wheel or picking crops. Zombies are seldom clothed in anything more than the rotting remnants of whatever they were wearing when slain.

Zombies are unable to draw conclusion or take initiative, and can only follow exceedingly basic instructions, such as “turn this wheel.” Like skeletons, the basic nature of a zombie has lead several necromancers and mad scientists to develop optional features for them.

Zombie, Basic (Power Level 1/Minion Rank 1)

Attributes: STR 13 (+1), DEX 8 (-1), CON ---, INT ---, WIS 10 (+0), CHA ---. [-29pp]

Saves: TOUGH +2, FORT ---, REF -1, WILL --- [0pp]

Combat: ATT +1, GRAPPLE +2, DAMAGE +1 (slam), DEF -1, KNOCKACK -1, INIT -1. [0pp]

Skills: None. [0r = 0pp]

Feats: None. [0pp]

Powers: [32pp]

*– Immunity 30 (Fortitude effects) [30pp]

–* Protection 2 [2pp]

Drawbacks: Disability (permanently Staggered, can only perform a single move action or standard action each round; -3pp)

Trade-Offs: -1 Defense for +1 Toughness.

Totals: ATT -29 + SV 0 + COM 0 + SK 0 (0r) + FT 0 + POW 32 - DB 3 = 0pp

Variations

[*:1vxiza7o]Awakened Intellect 1 - Animal-Like: Perhaps a steady diet of brains made this zombie smarter than the others. Perhaps whatever force animated it just needed time to rearrange its neurons into a quasi-functioning brain, primitive though it may be. Zombies with this level of awakened intellect possess an Intelligence score of 2/-4 and a Charisma score of 1/-5, and Immunity 10 (mental effects). They can single out specific targets and take them out first without instruction, and are able to use flanking tactics. They can and will hunt opponents, savaging prey like a rabid hound, and will shamble away from a losing battle if overwhelmed. Their Power Level and Minion Level remain the same (13pp).
    [*:1vxiza7o]Awakened Intellect 2 - Dim: Zombies with this level of awakened intellect possess an Intelligence score of 4/-3 and a Charisma score of 1/-5, and Immunity 10 (mental effects). They can identify the weakest and strongest members of a group (i.e., those with high or low Toughness saves), set ambushes, flank opponents, use cover, and use basic tools such as melee weapons. Their Power Level and Minion Level remain the same (15pp).
    [*:1vxiza7o]Awakened Intellect 3 - Aware: Zombies with this level of awakened intellect possess an Intelligence score of 6/-2 and a Charisma score of 1/-5, and Immunity 10 (mental effects). They can spy on opponents and recognize weaknesses, identify people and objects, use more advanced tools such as ranged weapons. These undead can also speak in limited phrases, such as “Brains!” and “Send more paramedics.” Their Power Level remains the same, but their Minion Level increases to 2 (17pp).
    [*:1vxiza7o]Diseased Zombie: Rotting corpses are often rife with contagions, but zombies of this type can use those diseases as a weapon, infecting both those they batter with their fists and anyone who comes into contact with them. Diseased zombies have Drain DEX and CON 2 (Aura, Disease; Permanent; 16pp). Their Power Level increases to 2, and their Minion Level increases to 2 (16pp).
    [*:1vxiza7o]Hunter Zombie: These zombies have had a spark of their primitive mind awoken, gaining abilities revolving around tracking down prey. Alternatively, the zombie may be some composite patchwork, with dog or wolf parts sewn onto it. Hunter zombies gain a +4 bonus to Wisdom (to 14/+2), 4 ranks in Notice (+6 total modifier), and Super-Senses 2 (scent, tracking; 2pp). Their Power Level and Minion Level remain the same (7pp).
    [*:1vxiza7o]Savage Zombie: Savage zombies don’t pummel the foes they’re directed to attack, they try and crack open skulls and feast on the pink goo inside. They bite instead if slamming with their fists, and gain Improved Critical (bite). Their Power Level and Minion Level remain the same (1pp).
    [*:1vxiza7o]Swift Zombie: Heroes expecting slow-moving automatons will think twice after facing this variant. Swift zombies gain Defensive Roll 1 (Toughness +2/+1 flatfooted) and Dodge Focus 2 (Defense +1), gain Speed 1 (10 mph; 1pp), and lose their disability Drawback. Their Power Level increases to 2, but their Minion Level remain the same (7pp).
    [*:1vxiza7o]Voudoun Zombies, Living: Possibly the most “real” of all the undead given here, Voudoun zombies are seen in places where Afro-Caribbean and Creole spiritual belief systems are dominant, or at least strongly rooted. Voudoun zombies are not undead, but rather are living people in a perpetual drug-induced state of dissociative hallucination. A bokor (“evil sorcerer”) who wishes to turn a person into a zombie slips him a “magic potion” containing a precisely measured dose of tetrodotoxin, the poison found in the puffer fish. The potion places the victims into a death-like coma for a time, and if the victim’s friends and family don’t know better they may bury him. The bokor then retrieves the body and is present when the death-like state wears off, and periodically administers hallucinogenic compounds. The ingrained cultural beliefs – “I have died and risen due to the actions of a bokor, therefore I must be a zombie, therefore I must act like a zombie” – are amazingly strong, though the zombie-like responses may also be due in part to brain and nervous system damage from the poisonous potion and a prolonged period without air while buried. Living Voudoun Zombies have the same stats as a Bystander.
    [*:1vxiza7o]Voudoun Zombie, Undead: Voudoun zombies do also exist in the bona fide undead form. Zombies of this type have a Weakness to salt – if it tastes even one grain of salt, it will immediately realize it is dead and either run back to its grave and rebury itself, or simply collapse on the spot.

Swarm Zombie a.k.a Swarmer

No-one is quite sure where this particular zombie hails from. Even whether or not it came from the same source as the other zombies is a point of dispute among survivors. Some people suggest that the creature has reverted to such a base form that it's actually just like a single cell dividing. Some folks reckon it's just magic. Whatever is the case, everyone agrees that if you see this zombie, you don't engage.

This zombie has the particular ability that, when impacted by any force, the thing splits into two mutually exclusive and independant zombies. Some people say that even if they trip and fall there might be two zombies who stand. They all look the same - about 5' 4" with a light build. The flesh has rotted away so much now that it's impossible to tell what gender it once was or any other information regarding it in life; if it ever had one. Unfortunately, besides those attributes, it's fairly difficult to tell apart from most other zombies. This has led to the death of many people who ran out to kill of one, single zombie, only to find themselves, a moment later, surrounded by many.

Abilities:

STR: 10

DEX: 14

CON: -

INT: -

WIS: 10

CHA: -

-28 points spent

Combat:

Attack: +2

Damage: +0 (unarmed)

Defence: +0 (unarmed)

Initiative: +2

4 points spent

Saves:

Toughness: +0

Fortitude: -

Reflex: +2

Will: -

0 points spent

Powers:

Immunity 30 (Fortitude effects)

Duplication 1 [PF]

39 points spent

Notes:

- Someone who's seen these zombies before has a chance to recognise them (DC 15 wisdom check). Bonuses are given if there are more than one of it's kind in the same area or if they've encountered them multiple times.

- The 'real' extra in the power represents the fact that any zombie can duplicate. I know this isn't how the power works, but it's an NPC :)

Swarm Zombie a.k.a Swarmer

No-one is quite sure where this particular zombie hails from. Even whether or not it came from the same source as the other zombies is a point of dispute among survivors. Some people suggest that the creature has reverted to such a base form that it's actually just like a single cell dividing. Some folks reckon it's just magic. Whatever is the case, everyone agrees that if you see this zombie, you don't engage.

This zombie has the particular ability that, when impacted by any force, the thing splits into two mutually exclusive and independant zombies. Some people say that even if they trip and fall there might be two zombies who stand. They all look the same - about 5' 4" with a light build. The flesh has rotted away so much now that it's impossible to tell what gender it once was or any other information regarding it in life; if it ever had one. Unfortunately, besides those attributes, it's fairly difficult to tell apart from most other zombies. This has led to the death of many people who ran out to kill of one, single zombie, only to find themselves, a moment later, surrounded by many.

Abilities:

STR: 10

DEX: 14

CON: -

INT: -

WIS: 10

CHA: -

-28 points spent

Combat:

Attack: +2

Damage: +0 (unarmed)

Defence: +0 (unarmed)

Initiative: +2

4 points spent

Saves:

Toughness: +0

Fortitude: -

Reflex: +2

Will: -

0 points spent

Powers:

Immunity 30 (Fortitude effects)

Duplication 1 [PF]

39 points spent

Notes:

- Someone who's seen these zombies before has a chance to recognise them (DC 15 wisdom check). Bonuses are given if there are more than one of it's kind in the same area or if they've encountered them multiple times.

- The 'real' extra in the power represents the fact that any zombie can duplicate. I know this isn't how the power works, but it's an NPC :)

Duplication 1 [PF]

39 points spent

I like that idea as a way to represent the zombie swarm. Very creative. Not nearly as cumbersome as my "28 Days Later" zombie disease build. Something like . . .

-Strike 1 [Extra]

-Transform 5 (4 PP/rank - People into enraged, flesh-eating zombies) [Extras]

-Mental Transform 1 (4 PP/rank) [Extras]

:rules:

Duplication 1 [PF]

39 points spent

I like that idea as a way to represent the zombie swarm. Very creative. Not nearly as cumbersome as my "28 Days Later" zombie disease build. Something like . . .

-Strike 1 [Extra]

-Transform 5 (4 PP/rank - People into enraged, flesh-eating zombies) [Extras]

-Mental Transform 1 (4 PP/rank) [Extras]

:rules:

Hehe, hey that works as well. That's the traditional way and it looks pretty watertight to me.

The main problem is that Transform can't give the target more PPs, and the array is so expensive that you have to add some kind of Affects Others Variable Structure to it also. Way too much trouble. Much better handled with "hand waving."

In my zombie game this Saturday, we are going with more old-school "if the players die they come back as zombies" zombies. But since the game is so fast and furious, it will never come up.

I'm also interested in various ideas for presenting how hard zombies can be to kill. In some movies you can blow off their limbs (including their head) and they keep on coming.

Hehe, hey that works as well. That's the traditional way and it looks pretty watertight to me.

The main problem is that Transform can't give the target more PPs, and the array is so expensive that you have to add some kind of Affects Others Variable Structure to it also. Way too much trouble. Much better handled with "hand waving."

In my zombie game this Saturday, we are going with more old-school "if the players die they come back as zombies" zombies. But since the game is so fast and furious, it will never come up.

I'm also interested in various ideas for presenting how hard zombies can be to kill. In some movies you can blow off their limbs (including their head) and they keep on coming.

Could that just be handled with flavour text? The zombie takes an injury and the description is that their head is gone?

Maybe they could have the flaw:

Fragile Form

Upon taking a Injury condition, the Zombie player rolls a die.

On a result of 1 - 5, the Zombie has lost its head (it is treated as if blind and cannot turn people into zombies).

On a result of 6 - 11 the zombie loses a leg (it collapses and is relegated to crawling speed).

On a result of 12 - 17 it loses an arm (loses half strength modifier?)

On a result of 18 - 20 the zombie is actually cut in half. The bottom half (the legs) die, but the torso and head remain a danger (albeit a static one).

It could be cumbersome, but it might just give the right feel. It would be better, too, if the PC attacking the zombie rolled the dice (thus letting them use HP's to affect it, and making it a little more interactive as well)

Could that just be handled with flavour text? The zombie takes an injury and the description is that their head is gone?

Maybe they could have the flaw:

Fragile Form

Upon taking a Injury condition, the Zombie player rolls a die.

On a result of 1 - 5, the Zombie has lost its head (it is treated as if blind and cannot turn people into zombies).

On a result of 6 - 11 the zombie loses a leg (it collapses and is relegated to crawling speed).

On a result of 12 - 17 it loses an arm (loses half strength modifier?)

On a result of 18 - 20 the zombie is actually cut in half. The bottom half (the legs) die, but the torso and head remain a danger (albeit a static one).

It could be cumbersome, but it might just give the right feel. It would be better, too, if the PC attacking the zombie rolled the dice (thus letting them use HP's to affect it, and making it a little more interactive as well)

Yeah, that's how I handled it the first time (without the cool chart :) ). I gave them a pretty hefty toughness save but gave them the following weakness:

Head Shot Prone

Anytime an attack exceeds the zombie's defense by 5 or more, treat as a critical hit with the Critical Strike Power Feat.

Yeah, that's how I handled it the first time (without the cool chart :) ). I gave them a pretty hefty toughness save but gave them the following weakness:

Head Shot Prone

Anytime an attack exceeds the zombie's defense by 5 or more, treat as a critical hit with the Critical Strike Power Feat.

A high Toughness score (with a "Weak Spot" drawback for lucky headshots) can represent a Zombie's "why won't they go down?!" ability, too. Mechanically, they probably won't take much damage at first, but eventually will be whittled down (since each Bruise/Hit imposes a cumulative -1 on future Toughness saves), though all the hits can still be described as the loss of gory bits.

A high Toughness score (with a "Weak Spot" drawback for lucky headshots) can represent a Zombie's "why won't they go down?!" ability, too. Mechanically, they probably won't take much damage at first, but eventually will be whittled down (since each Bruise/Hit imposes a cumulative -1 on future Toughness saves), though all the hits can still be described as the loss of gory bits.

I have never been a big fan of the standard D20 "critical hits" (and Drawbacks like "Weak Point") for something like this, because standard "critical hits" don't, for the most part, take into account character skill. Since all of the characters can hit the zombie with a roll of 20, critical hits are reduced to a matter of luck. I like to think that the chance of getting a head shot (and the +5 "critical" bonus) is more than a matter of luck for a particularly skilled marksman. Of course, you could also represent this by having the character buy the relevant feats (Critical Strike and Improved Critical), but this makes the mechanic universal which is feel about right to me.

I have never been a big fan of the standard D20 "critical hits" (and Drawbacks like "Weak Point") for something like this, because standard "critical hits" don't, for the most part, take into account character skill. Since all of the characters can hit the zombie with a roll of 20, critical hits are reduced to a matter of luck. I like to think that the chance of getting a head shot (and the +5 "critical" bonus) is more than a matter of luck for a particularly skilled marksman. Of course, you could also represent this by having the character buy the relevant feats (Critical Strike and Improved Critical), but this makes the mechanic universal which is feel about right to me.

If you don't like using Improved Critical and such feats to represent "highly skilled," why not a Limited form of Blast? Something like Blast 5 (Limited: Only to add to firearm Blast damage after taking a full round to aim)? Or Boost Ballistic-based Blast 10, Personal Only?

I had to create a power like this for something I'm working on.

Infusion. 1/pp Per rank: Infusion allows you to add you power rank to damage rolls with equipment. This power does not function on devices. Damage is limited by your campaigns power level.

Damaging effect is 1 pp. Limited to equipment is minus one. Allowing the power to work with ranged equipment is plus 1. Hence, 1 pp per rank.