Concept Feedback

Willis

Hey guys. I'm thinking of making a character akin to Thor, but making him as a power suit, and was wondering what you guys thought.

His name would be T.H.O.R. (Tactical Harness Something, still working on the details). He would be a power suit with enhanced strength, protection, some sensory powers (darkvision, stuff like that) an would have a hammer. The hammer would be something with the mighty strike power and an alternate power of blast to let him throw lightning like any thor wannabe should. The suit would have an a.i. program that would help him, named O.D.I.N. (Operational Database Information Network).

Any thoughts?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys. I'm thinking of making a character akin to Thor, but making him as a power suit, and was wondering what you guys thought.

His name would be T.H.O.R. (Tactical Harness Something, still working on the details). He would be a power suit with enhanced strength, protection, some sensory powers (darkvision, stuff like that) an would have a hammer. The hammer would be something with the mighty strike power and an alternate power of blast to let him throw lightning like any thor wannabe should. The suit would have an a.i. program that would help him, named O.D.I.N. (Operational Database Information Network).

Any thoughts?

Sounds nifty :)

Tactical Harness for Offensive Response

Threat and Hazard Operation Responder

Transuranic Hyperpolarized Oscillating Radiator (refers to the ultra-tech nuclear reactor core powering the armor)

Would O.D.I.N. be a full A.I. (i.e., a Sidekick), or just the fluff-text for some feature of the armor (like Enhanced Skills or Feats)?

Sounds nifty :)

Tactical Harness for Offensive Response

Threat and Hazard Operation Responder

Transuranic Hyperpolarized Oscillating Radiator (refers to the ultra-tech nuclear reactor core powering the armor)

Would O.D.I.N. be a full A.I. (i.e., a Sidekick), or just the fluff-text for some feature of the armor (like Enhanced Skills or Feats)?

Still working on the background. That's my weakest area. I was thinking of having the character be a military scientist working on the project then stealing the prototype suit when he saw what the higher ups had planned for it. That could give a pre-made opponent for the gms as well since the next generation of suit could be handed to someone with the intention of bringing the character in.

Thoughts?

Still working on the background. That's my weakest area. I was thinking of having the character be a military scientist working on the project then stealing the prototype suit when he saw what the higher ups had planned for it. That could give a pre-made opponent for the gms as well since the next generation of suit could be handed to someone with the intention of bringing the character in.

Thoughts?

What do you mean? Is it because there's a similar character in Paragons?

Believe me, there are plenty of characters with concepts similar to existing characters. At this point, most archetypes are strongly represented, so you'll always have some similarities to existing characters. I had intentionally made my villain to resemble Moonquake with elements of Redhawk and Dr. Dungeon (all from Crooks!). Then, I found out that his powers are almost exactly the same as a Marvel supervillain named Graviton. At least Graviton doesn't have a battlesuit, or the spirit of Icarus in his body...

And the point of that last bit - you can always find ways to make your character feel like your character as you play him or her. Just go in with the intent to have fun, and you should succeed.

What do you mean? Is it because there's a similar character in Paragons?

Believe me, there are plenty of characters with concepts similar to existing characters. At this point, most archetypes are strongly represented, so you'll always have some similarities to existing characters. I had intentionally made my villain to resemble Moonquake with elements of Redhawk and Dr. Dungeon (all from Crooks!). Then, I found out that his powers are almost exactly the same as a Marvel supervillain named Graviton. At least Graviton doesn't have a battlesuit, or the spirit of Icarus in his body...

And the point of that last bit - you can always find ways to make your character feel like your character as you play him or her. Just go in with the intent to have fun, and you should succeed.

Bah! Do what you want! So what if there's already another character in another book that has some similarities? It's still your character!

Besides, given how many millions of comics there are out there and dozens upon dozens of RPG books, it'd be nigh-impossible to come up with a character that didn't share something with some other already-published character!

Bah! Do what you want! So what if there's already another character in another book that has some similarities? It's still your character!

Besides, given how many millions of comics there are out there and dozens upon dozens of RPG books, it'd be nigh-impossible to come up with a character that didn't share something with some other already-published character!

Oh yeah? Well, my next character is going to be just this nerdish kid, right? Until he's bitten by an irradiated wasp that... hmmm...

Ok, scrap that, there's this guy right, and he's really tough, but he's not a guy at all, no, he's the last survivor of a dead planet and... dang it!

Er... hmmm... gadget based vigilante?

The truth is, there are certain powers you could never really use without infringing some kind of copyright. Try being a dedicated speedster without having powers like the Flash! Thevshi, on this very board, has a speedster and does a brilliant job of making the character her own.

Oh yeah? Well, my next character is going to be just this nerdish kid, right? Until he's bitten by an irradiated wasp that... hmmm...

Ok, scrap that, there's this guy right, and he's really tough, but he's not a guy at all, no, he's the last survivor of a dead planet and... dang it!

Er... hmmm... gadget based vigilante?

The truth is, there are certain powers you could never really use without infringing some kind of copyright. Try being a dedicated speedster without having powers like the Flash! Thevshi, on this very board, has a speedster and does a brilliant job of making the character her own.

So if I do decide to pursue this character, do you think it would be best for all of his attack powers to come from the hammer or should the suit itself have the ability to make the energy blast?

I'm just curious to see how other people's minds wrap around the same conept in different ways.