Heraldo

Ari

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

"I'm Subito Sondo, a Puerto Rican boy and immigrant imbued with the might of my homeland."

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

"Uh...well, I was called 'Bito when I was a kid 'cause that's how I said my name for a while, and very unwisely let some of my friends know that. I'm sometimes called 'Sube' in Lincoln."

What is your full birth name?

"Subito Sondo. Um, my birth didn't come at a very good time for Mom."

Where do you live?

"Freedom City, best place on Earth! I used to live with my family in Lincoln, but moved to Claremont when I got my Gift and was enrolled by Mr. Summers. I live in the Rita Kord dormitory right now."

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

"Uh, about 17. I was born on the 5th of July."

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

"I'm a boy."

How would you describe your heritage?

"My parents are both native-born Puerto Ricans, and their descendants-wait, not that's ancestors, sorry, their ancestors are 'pparently Taino, people who lived on the island long before the Spaniards came in the late 1400's. So, pretty dark Hispanic."

How tall are you?

"'Bout 5 feet and a few inches tall, I think I was 5'6" last time I checked."

What is your body type?

"Stocky, muscular and with only a little fat. I'm told I'm pretty fit for my age, but my peers include people who look like they'd snap if a wave hit them and can crush iron."

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

"Not really. My hearing after I got my Gift can get pretty painful when I'm around a bunch of cars or near a lot of talking people, but that's about it."

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

"Strong steps, firm and loud, a straight back and my head up. I'm definitely not light on my feet, and I can't sneak to save my life."

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

"My skin is brownish, a bit darker than my Mom and Dad's, and they're supposed to look pretty dark-skinned compared to a lot of folks back in Puerto Rico. My eyes are brown with a bit of greeny-yellow, apparently that's called hazel? My hair is pretty dark brown, just a few shades lighter than black."

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

"It's real curly and getting kinda long, so I can't really do much with it but keep it out of my face. I'm not old enough to grow a beard or anythin' yet."

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

"I...uh, well..I'm not the best person to ask about that. I mean, I don't look bad. I think Cerys likes how I look, and some of the other girls around Claremont seem to too."

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

"I have a few scars on my hands and feet, and a few on my knees from cutting myself on rocks when I went climbing with Galanta."

Do you resemble anyone famous?

"A Mexican girl in Mutant History said I look kind of like Charlie Massano."

Do you have a dominant hand?

"Yep. I'm right handed."

What kind of clothing do you wear?

"A white t-shirt, blue jeans, tough running shoes and a baseball cap. I wear other stuff, mostly casual buttoned-up shirts and slacks, and suits at church, but those are what I wear most of the year."

Do you wear makeup?

"Nah, I like my natural beauty just fine."

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

"I'm a tenor, a bit deep-voiced when I get excited or mad."

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

"I rub the back of my head when I'm embarrassed, and sometimes dance a bit in place when excited. It mostly doesn't get any comments."

History

Where do you come from?

"The island of Puerto Rico, Adjuntas principality, Guayo Barrio. Not the best of places to grow up, I guess, but I liked it. It was always busy. I still dream of the house we used to live in, before it got destroyed. My sister made a real name for herself there."

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

"Well, when I was eight this guy called Mas Severas attacked our town. He'd figured out the Allies of Justice were staying there, and smashed and burned almost ten homes before he was stopped. I don't remember much of what happened then, but it was horrible. Anyway, after that my parents figured they would do better to move somewhere else than sticking around, and took jobs at some factories in Southside. We moved by boat, which was pretty cool."

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

"I'm deeply loyal and patriotic, I'd be kind of stupid not to be, since my country gives me my powers, and I want to go back and defend it when I grow up. Uh..I don't have any problem with the government of Governor Luis Fortuño, and I don't really know enough about politics to say much anyway."

How do you feel about the place you come from?

"I love it. The hills around my home were always great to play on, the sky was always beautiful, and the sea-breeze gave everything this sense of being in heaven."

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

"The Adjuntas municipality is on the western side of the island, pretty close to the capital of San Juan."

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

"Oh yeah, where I grew up most people looked and talked a lot like me. I was always comfortable around strangers, because we had such a tight-knit culture, and always had somethin' in common to talk about. It's pretty different in the States."

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

"I've always been pretty good at talkin' to people, and because Galanta kept getting into fights I got to practice that a lot. It at least made my big sis look at me as a good helper and not just as her scared little kid brother."

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

"Well, our house got destroyed by an evil supervillain when I was eight years old. That's not nearly as bad as losing someone you love though"

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

"When I was seven, I remember talking down some of the other kids who wanted to hide and throw stones at Galanta when she was coming home from school one day. She had caught them doing stuff they shouldn't have and...she hit pretty hard even when she was a kid. Anyway, I don't know why they listened to me, but they did. Ever since then, I've always wanted to..do that again, get someone to stop from doing something evil just by talkin' to them."

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

"Well...I did a lot of stupid stuff, still do actually. Worst was definitely when I tried to set Rodrigo up on a date with a girl from Joseph Clark, that was a total disaster. They didn't agree on anything and she left after punching him for defending someone in their class who apparently was gay. At least he's talking to me again."

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

"I went to the local elementary school for a while, until we had to move from Puerto Rico. When we first started living in Freedom City I went to Joseph Clark High School. It wasn't too bad, pretty close to where me and my family lived, and a good enough school if you could avoid the gangs or terrify 'em into leaving you alone. Some of the teachers were pretty great too."

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

"I have some rocks from back home, and a lot of pictures from when I was a kid. I keep them around because I like remembering those days, I guess."

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

"I decided to become one in July of 2011, when I first got my powers. I didn't even know what they were, how they worked or why I had 'em, but the path was clear to me. When the spirit of Puerto Rico appeared that night in a dream, it only took the Blue Dame a few minutes to talk me into it."

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

"Nope. I want to learn how to help people using what I've got, and that's all there really is to it."

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

"I can't think of any. My cousin Rodrigo Fuego might, though."

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

"Well, as the Herald I can get away with bein' a lot cheesier and more ridiculous than I could normally, I like being able to grand-stand, to be dramatic in front of people when I get to help them. I think it helps when people know they're not just another bunch of helpless bystanders to you."

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

"I...I don't know. I guess I'd ask whoever found out about 'em not to tell anyone, and try to convince them not to do it? I sure wouldn't kill anyone."

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

"Uhhh...I might have broken some child labor laws a couple of times. It's not public knowledge, I look a bit older than I really am, but it's not something I'm really proud of. But hey, it let me catch that guy when he fell, maybe God wanted me to be there."

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

"My Dad is Pavor, and my Mom is Broma. Dad's the family outsider, comes from the Fuegos, my mom is a Sondo."

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

"Yeah. I've been raised by 'em all my life."

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

"They worked in a factory a few miles out of town. Grandpa called them artisans and metalworkers, but he called everyone's job something fancy. He called the farm my uncle kept 'husbandry of corn'. As for what people thought of them, they didn't look down on them, but they weren't considered too important either. Kinda in the middle somewhere."

Where are your parents now?

"They live in the Lincoln district of Freedom City, U.S.A.!"

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

"We moved once, in 2003 from Adjuntas to the apartment complex in west Lincoln."

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

"I love them! They love me too, we'd do anythin' to help each other out, that's something that's never changed."

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

"They...I think they have a bit of...awe, I guess? They're really excited that their kid gets to be the new herald of Puerto Rico's national spirit! We haven't had one in a while now."

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

"Yeah, a big sister named Galanta. She's awesome. She taught me everything Mom and Dad didn't, like how to fight, and especially how to treat other people. She made sure I never grew up thinking first about people's looks."

What was your birth order in the family?

"First Galanta, then me."

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

"Gala' still lives in Lincoln, and I don't think she's met anyone yet. She's setting up to go to college real soon so that probably won't last for much longer. She works around northern Southside at a factory."

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

"Nah, we're still friends."

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

"Well, Rodrigo and me have never really gotten along all that well. He thinks I'm an anti-intellectual jock who hates people smarter than me, and I think he's kind of a brat who always feels sorry for himself."

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

"Galanta. I wouldn't be...me if she hadn't started teaching me how to do stuff."

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

"Not that I know about."

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

"Nah, our family has always been kind of quiet. Apparently one of my grandparents used to be the Herald, but I've not been able to find out which one."

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

"Uh, not yet. I'm kinda young for that kind of stuff, maybe when I'm a bit older."

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

"I'd love to start a family! Unless God or His angels tell me I can't, I'm gonna get married as soon as I meet the right lady."

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

"Somebody smarter than me, for sure. A sensible, practical girl who knows their way in the world, with the strength of spirit to keep me in line if I start going and doing stupid stuff. Somebody grounded and thoughtful, neither of which are things I can ever seem to be."

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

"You bet I do! A guy at Claremont named Serge Explinker, who is real smart and just crazy good with machines and computers and stuff like that! Apparently he's a mutant of some kind, and he's definitely tougher and faster than a few of the other guys around there. Then there's a girl named Kristin Jones, from Australia. She has telekinesis, and as far as I can tell she's gonna be more powerful than I'll ever be! They're great to be around!

Oh, and, uh...another girl, she's called Cerys..'Pfer', did I say that right? Anyway, she's from Wales and doesn't have any powers, but she's been trained by her family since she was a kid to fight against monsters and evil fairies and stuff. She's really amazing, and cool, and really pretty too. When I'm around her, it's like sunshine on flowers in a beautiful meadow, or something."

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

"I like all my friends a lot, I couldn't go and pick favorites like that, that'd be kind of mean."

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

"Well, my family would get real worried, and my friends in the city too. I guess the Headmaster would be pretty quick to take action about it too."

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

"...Well, not really. I've..never even had a girlfriend before."

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

"I don't really know anyone who hates me, personally. There might be a few people who don't like that I go fighting them, but nobody that hates me for bein' me."

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

"I dunno."

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

"Blown up my parent's home, and those of a lot of other innocent people. Mas Severas will answer for that soon."

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

"The mandates and laws of Our Father in Heaven, my family, the governments of America and Puerto Rico, Headmaster Summers, my friends and the heroes of the world, the teachers of Claremont Academy, and me."

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

"Besides God, I would say Galanta. Or Cerys, she's a real trustworthy person!"

Who or what do you despise? Why?

"People who don't think about what they're doing, and just assume at all times that they're in the right."

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

"Wisdom an' forethought, and being strong in the face of bad times. I..don't think I have those, nah. Dunno if I ever will."

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

"Like I said earlier, I hate it when somebody never bothers to try and figure out if they're doin' the right thing before doing somethin'. I think I'm like that."

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

"Yeah, I have a secret identity. Kind of lame, I know, but I don't have the pull or power to keep my family safe if somebody tries to go after them. I'm pretty free with telling other heroes it if they ask, and everyone at Claremont knows about it. No sense in trying to act smarter or subtler than I am."

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

"I'm a great team player! I like to think I have what it takes to lead others, but that's just me and my big head."

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

"Nah, I don't think I have what it takes to be on one of those teams. They need people who are really good at something and I'm..not."

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

"I'm a confirmed Catholic, and I never miss going to church for any reason if I can help it."

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

"The Heralds before me! The Blue Dame is a bit cagey about who they were, but they all sound like great champions of the oppressed. My grandparents and a lot of their generation too. They lived under stuff that I never would have been able to. The other heroes of Freedom City are amazing too, I hope "

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

"Never! The heroes of Freedom are of unimpeachable integrity!"

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

"I love being what I am, and doin' what I do! Helping people in trouble, fighting against those who would overthrow the world for their own pleasure, it's what every little kid wishes they could be!"

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

"...What? No!"

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

"Learn how to better use the power of the Blue Dame. It's not bad, but I could sure be using it more effectively. Try and find a good school to go to after my education here is done, and maybe help Cerys with her family's evil-fighting business."

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

"I want to be the great hero of Puerto Rico! I want to be a renowned protector of the weak all over the world, fighting evil wherever it is found!

I also want to have started a family by then."

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

"Vampires, I know it's stupid, and nobody else is ever scared of those things, but the idea of some kind of monster that looks just like a regular person...it's awful. I try to stay calm, and fight them like I have never fought before."

Is there anything you would give you life for?

"Yep. A lot of stuff, really. My family, friends, to protect somebody I would gladly die. That's what Jesus and the saints would want me to do."

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

"It's great to have, but keeping it around can make people do crazy things, and then other people start wantin' to steal it from you. I dunno about 'success', but it means you did something."

How do you generally treat others?

"Like I would want others to treat me, it just makes sense."

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

"A couple of times, but I don't wanna talk about that. I stopped them before anything happened."

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

"Nope! I ain't shy around anybody, no reason bein' all shuffling and mumbly around people. I'm quite confident in myself, and act it so people know about that. Well, I guess I might sometimes be a little shy around Cerys...but that's not the point! Anyway, what's next?"

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

"Oh, darn. Um, a little more goofy than I usually do, I suppose. I know a lot of people hate that, but that's what seems safest. I get a bit mouthy too, which doesn't really do me too many favors."

What are your most annoying habits?

"Bein' kind of a dumbass sometimes. Fidgeting and acting awkward and embarrassed when I get nervous...or embarrassed."

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

"Hypocrites, people who get others to think they're good people and using that to take advantage of others."

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

"Tomatoes!!!!! And my table-manners are fine, nobody's ever said anything against them!"

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

"Red wine, especially some of the French kinds, they're great."

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

"Eclairs. They are delish."

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

"Stuff that's rotten, otherwise I ain't too picky an eater."

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

"I love the color gold, blue's a close second though. I remember seeing the sea in the morning for the first time, and it was just this endless rolling blue field, with gold sunlight blazing on it. I don't like black at all. Which sucks, because of all the classmates I have that use it in their costumes, and it makes talking with some of the Goth kids a bit harder."

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

"Baroque composers have a deep and special place in my heart, I eat up everything from Chopin to Handel. As for music I don't like..anything that falls under 'rock' or metal I can't stand."

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

"You bet! It's...Well..I-damnit, I can't make 'the way Cerys does' sound not creepy, so I'll go with my second favorite: a forest just after a heavy rain."

Do you have a favorite animal?

"Aw man, have you ever seen an ocelot? Binturongs're pretty sweet too."

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

"Well, 'round the time I was first visited by the Blue Dame she showed me this chest of old stuff my parents salvaged from their home in Puerto Rico, in it was this old flag bearing the national colors. She told me 'As long as you wear it close to your heart, you can always call upon my power.'"

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

"Roughin' it! Being in the wild teaches you stuff that living in a city never could. It's fun too!"

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

"Well yeah. Lots of things that are pretty, uh, abhorrent t'me. Doing a job that would hurt people for instance, or bring misery."

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

"I'm Catholic, so yes. A big part of what my parents taught me as a kid was that you're never really alone, and that everything you do and say is seen and heard by God. It definitely made me think twice before doing some stuff I don't really feel like bringing up. It's pretty vital to me."

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

"My sister. She taught me that Jesus and the saints were always around, ready to give us a hand when we needed one."

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

"I attend every service the local Catholic church gives, if I can make it. Not really 'close' to any one place, no. As for agreeing with what they teach...well it's not like I could argue against them!" *derisive laugh*

Could you kill? Have you killed?

"No, and thank God I've never had to."

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

"It's like this: wouldn't you want to be given another chance if someone had you in their power, and you had done something wrong?"

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

"Maybe, I dunno. The Superhuman Ethics teacher is pretty clear that if aliens attack we shouldn't hold back, and that the undead would be pretty grateful for the peace of the grave, but like I said, I dunno myself if that's right. I don't think I'd be able to keep from trying t'kill a vampire, though."

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

"I'd be pretty horrified, and try to bring them to justice for it. Of course, if they're willin' to kill, I probably won't stand much of a chance there...and it doesn't matter if I don't like them or they're my best friend! It's still not right to do."

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

"I'd get a bit mad, then go look for whoever took it and try to get them to give it back."

How would you react to public humiliation?

"Pretty badly. Me and my pride don't do well when I get beat into the mud and stuff like that."

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

"I would find whoever did it, and make them regret it. Luckily that's not happened yet, so nobody's had to watch from Heaven as their avenger cries his eyes out."

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

"Sending somebody to Hell. Nobody has that right except the Almighty God, and thinking you have the kind of wisdom to say "You deserve to be tormented eternally" and act on it rightfully is pretty frickin' stupid."

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

"Go home, give everything I have to other people, make up with Rodrigo, give the Banner to Galanta, and ask forgiveness for everything I've done."

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

"Not really, my powers are pretty basic really. Just draw on energy and use it to do stuff, not really too complicated."

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

"The Blue Dame, my patroness and mentor, she's pretty dour a lot of the time, but I think she sees something great in me!"

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

"Nothing anybody would think all that weird. I can speak and read Latin pretty well, but that's it, and that was part of some teaching I got from a priest back in Puerto Rico."

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

*blank stare* "Uh, what kind of person lives off of their work as a hero? I work at grocery stores around Bayview, and I'm learning how to be a diplomat. My mom rolls her eyes a lot at that last thing, though."

What is your preferred combat style?

"Right now it's just 'fly up and hit stuff', but I'm trying to learn about things like staff fighting and boxing."

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

"Well, I've been chosen to wield the power of Puerto Rico's national spirit! That's a pretty big honor, I think."

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

"I want to be better at everything! Stronger, faster, better at talking to people, able to use the Banner in lots of more neat ways. I won't be able to help people if I stay the same as I am now."

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

"Well that happens pretty much every day, so I ask them for pointers and training."

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

"Wake up, go to class, save the world. Hahaha! Not really, though some of the guys like to talk as if that's how it goes. Most days I just wake up, do some exercises like going to the weights room or the pool, go to class until lunch, go looking for people who haven't made any friends yet and help them out, then study until evening exercises and then bed time. Hero stuff usually only happens once in a while, and I'm grateful for that!"

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

"Are there any people who don't? Anyway, I love reading old books from like the 1800s, and games that Serge makes up are always fun. The thing that makes me happiest though, is when I get go out and run, lift weights, do the rock-climbing wall, go swimming, anything that lets me move I'll take over anything else!"

What do you do for fun?

"...What? Did you..I mean, I can see why you'd ask, but you just got your answer!"

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

"You bet I have a costume! It's based on old herald uniforms from way back. It's a padded and decorated blue and gold coat with rams on it, red leather gloves and thick-soled leather boots, a wide-brimmed soft blue hat with a swan's feather in it, a thick brown cloth mask, and The Pants. The Pants is all red, white, blue and gold, with white lines separating it into blue, red and gold diamonds! I dunno what it's made of, but it's really soft and really warm. They're kind of tight though, 'specially 'round the back. Oh! And I've got this belt that keeps The Pants up, it's got silver shapes of rams on it, and the buckle has the star of Puerto Rico! So yeah, I pretty much have one of the best costumes ever made."

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

"White cotton short-sleeved t-shirt, baseball cap with one of Freedom City's kickawesome sports teams' insignias on it, blue jeans and battered running shoes. For more formal things like church and stuff I have a black and white suit, and grey dress shoes."

What do you wear to bed most nights?

"Well, being cold doesn't really happen anymore, so just boxers. Uh...would you mind not tellin' anyone about that?"

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

"I have a silver crucifix I wear 'round my wrist."

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

"Not really, don't have many valuables to keep anyplace."

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

"Local I just go on the bus or walk, gonna get a bike soon. For longer distances I guess flying is a pretty good bet."

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

"Nah, I..I haven't really thought about that stuff yet. I suppose I oughta look into that someday."

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

"Well, there are some scars that only my family know about, I guess they could do that job. Kinda morbid question though."

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

"Doin' everything good that I was able to do. Bein' a good and loyal husband and father, as someone who did what was right instead of what was easy every time. Don't think it'll work out that way, but I'll do what I can."

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

"Nah. My powers aren't the subtle kind that can do a lot of damage and are hard to stop, and it's not like there aren't lots of folks who are way stronger than I am or can just switch my powers off."

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

"Bein' outgoin' and outspoken, never resting while there's something t'be done."

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

"Well, I'm not all that creative, and I don't really think things through very well. That and I'm nowhere near as efficient as some of my comrades are."

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Focus on the moment and do all the good that is possible. This will all be taken from you before you know it. Enjoy being the hero while you still can.

• 3 weeks later...