Warp

Curious Key

HellQ

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

"I’m a girl, a mutant and a hero-in-training, in that order."

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

“Of course there’s Warp. My friends call me Kat and my family calls me Lilly. The only people who call me Katharine are stuffy teachers, people trying to make a point and suits reading it off a profiling sheet.

“What’s a nom de plume?â€

What is your full birth name?

"Katharine Lilly Shade."

Where do you live?

"The Claremont dorms."

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

"Sixteen, in 1997."

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

“I’m a girl.â€

How would you describe your heritage?

“My Mom’s family came in from Scotland and my Dad’s has been in America so long they forgot where they came from. Nothing special, though. No heroes, no mutants, no nothing. I’m the first.â€

How tall are you?

"A bit over five feet."

What is your body type?

"I’m little, whatever measurements you’re using, which I guess is nice in its way. I’m not exactly well-developed. I mean, it’s not like you can’t tell I’m a girl, but . . . You know what? Next question please."

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

"I am the pinnacle of health!"

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

"Graceful? I dunno if that's the word I'd use, but others have. My body's mine, and I knew its every trick, can coax it to do just about anything I need. You'll never see me take a step I'm not sure of. "

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

“‘Fair’ is pretty code for skin that ‘burns after an hour in the sun, always.’ It’s pockmarked by a few freckles here and there that you can see up close . . . see? Instead of tanning, I just get more freckles. Not quite as nice to look at.

"My eyes are gray and my hair is the dull sort of red you’d think to find on a rusty faucet.â€

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

"I hold it in a tail, unless I’m going hero. I like it better free with the costume."

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

"Nah. I asked a boy out when I was fourteen and he said I looked like his kid sister. I’ve grown a little, but everyone else has grown more, and Claremont is full of supernaturally pretty girls. I don’t have a snowball’s chance in hell."

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

"Nada."

Do you resemble anyone famous?

"Nope."

Do you have a dominant hand?

"My right."

What kind of clothing do you wear?

"Generally I shy away from skirts and dresses unless I’ve got a reason to be all formal. Shirts, jeans and shorts suit me just fine. Browns and greens and reds are great."

Do you wear makeup?

"Normally? No."

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

"I don’t try to pull off the gravely hero voice, if that’s what you’re asking. My voice isn’t really all that special."

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

"People say I chew on my lip when I’m nervous. I usually don’t notice."

History

Where do you come from?

"Normal Illinois."

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

"Yeah, from Illinois to Freedom."

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

"It’s not bad, I guess. I’m sorry, I get this feeling I should be more of a patriot but I’m just . . . not."

How do you feel about the place you come from?

"Normal is real quiet, and nothing exciting happens there. Sometimes, I never want to see it again. But when things get really weird, it’s nice to know there’s some place out there that’s still mostly sane."

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

"Normal, Illinois. Far from Freedom, far from superheroes. The closest we got to that was an open precog working in the police force, and some wizard in Chicago’s phone book who they called up sometimes."

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

"I never knew any metahumans growing up and I still don’t know anyone who’s like me. It's not like my family hated heroes or mutants really. But they were never really human, right? Not like us. Except, now, I'm not part of 'us' anymore.

"I guess now I still catch myself thinking I'm normal sometimes, and then I remember what I actually am. Leaping across the world with a thought? Shooting stuff out of my hands? That's not normal. Not really human either. It's a bit of a jarring thought every time I realize it again."

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

"There’s fighting, I was the star of my Dad’s dojo for a while, brought in a bunch of awards. Even without my, ah, gifts, I can put a serious hurting on anyone I've a mind to hurt. It's always a nice boost of confidence to know you can actually deal with anyone who gets it into their head to force you to do things, you know?

But what I’m proud of is acting. Theater. You know. I hear I'm pretty good at it. Maybe someday I’ll be able to make a living off it . . . Well. We’ll see."

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

"My little brother flushed my goldfish to see what would happen once. Does that count?"

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

"I didn't really know what I was until I woke up in a dumpster in Chicago in my PJs. There's something nasty about waking up somewhere that isn't your place, and I woke up in a DUMPSTER. And what's worse, I had no idea why. For a while I thought I'd been kidnapped somehow and dropped off there so they could close the door until they decided . . . what to do with me. It wasn't until I Claremont came knocking on our door that I knew it was all me. Which is just as scary, in a way.

"If that hadn't happened, they wouldn't have known to come talk to me, I wouldn't be here in Freedom. I wouldn't have become Warp. My life would be completely different. I'm a kid, but I'm not dumb. My life's been changed for good, and it's never going back."

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

"Since I’m pretty young to start with I’ll just go with something dumb I did this summer. I was new to Freedom; spent every night next to humming power dampeners and every day trying to nail my powers down. I wasn’t really in the best state. So I heard about these T-babies organizing, talking about things. Of course bad things were said about them, but I figured hey, probably just talk.

"I was lonely, and would have given anything to have someone I could talk to. So I . . . Slipped away a few times. Went and talked to them. They seemed friendly enough, so I went a little more often.

"Then they started trying to talk me into some supervillain class trouble. I got out of there next chance and pulled the plug, but when the heroes got there the Omegas were long gone. They’re out there, somewhere. And they know who I really am.

"That counts, right?"

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

"I’m still in school. It’s nice enough, I guess."

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

"A few pictures, some presents. Nothing super dramatic."

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

"I woke up one day in a dumpster with no clue how I got there. The next week I was told I was a mutant. After that, they said I drew off the Terminus, the Terminus to use it. What does that make me? A monster? The unwitting foothold of some omnicidal maniac with a Greek alphabet fetish?

"Maybe everyone at Claremont has the right idea. Maybe it doesn’t matter. Maybe it’s a gift. But if they're wrong, well . . . I don't like that thought too much, so I'm off to prove them right. And really, I’ve always daydreamed about sweeping in and saving the day. Who wouldn’t want to be a hero?"

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

"Generally speaking, I skip over the whole spawn of the Terminus thing and get straight to ‘who wouldn’t want to be a hero?’ I mean, it’s not really a lie . . ."

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

"I’m one of those special kinds of mutants that were born from entropic energy. T-babies. People hate what I am a lot of the time. And I've been having these nightmares as long as I can remember . . . I didn't even know what the Terminus was like, but the more I hear about it, the more it lines up with the nightmares. "

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

"Sometimes the best way to be brave is pretend you are until you’ve fooled yourself. It works, at least until everything is over, and then you’re just proud. Or, you know, dead, and it doesn't matter anymore."

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

"I wouldn’t hurt anyone, if that’s what you mean. Well, not anyone good . . ."

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

"Huh? No. What a question . . ."

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

"Their names are Rose and Alexander."

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

"Yeah."

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

"Mom sells insurance; Dad is the head instructor at a Kung Fu dojo in Normal. Normal isn't a small town, so they weren't really recognized everywhere, but they weren't hated either."

Where are your parents now?

"Still in Normal."

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

"We . . . They never moved."

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

"I don’t think they’ve come to terms with what I am yet . . . They don’t say anything about it, but talking with them is harder—it’s like they’re afraid if they aren’t careful they’ll have to talk about it."

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

"I think it matters more to them that I'm their daughter than what I've turned out to be, but . . . I'm a metahuman now, in a school with ghosts and redeemed demons and wizards. I don't think they see me as the same person that grew up with them when it comes down to it, I really don't."

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

"Lyle is my little brother. He’s a brat, always getting into my stuff . . . At least, he did."

What was your birth order in the family?

"I’m the first."

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

"Uh, little brother? He’s back in Normal, with Mom and Dad."

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

"We stay in touch, sure."

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

". . . I don’t think so. Is this a trick question?"

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

"They’re not really in a place where . . . Well they can’t really understand, can they?"

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

"Well, I’m a mutant. I guess that makes me a black sheep."

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

"No, I don’t."

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

"No."

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

"Hello, sixteen? No I don't have children. Maybe someday, though? I don’t know. Is this thing I have inheritable? I'd have to know for sure."

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

"Someone who gets me. Someone I could open up around, and make me laugh."

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

"Not a lot, really. I only moved into the dorms recently, so not a lot of Claremont students, except maybe Kristin . . . Oh! I have a troop I perform with down in the Theater district. I used to work in the AbNormal troupe back home, and they were the best I could find here. It keeps my weekends busy."

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

"I don’t know . . . Maybe Kristin. She helped me when not-Dorothy crashed my room."

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

"My friends, my parents probably, not to mention the Claremont staff."

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

"No."

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

"The Omegas, I guess. Scroll up for that story."

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

"The Omegas are convinced that if they get just the right pitch I’ll flop over to their side. But for them, force is just another persuasive tool. They haven’t tried coercion or blackmail yet, but I wouldn’t put it past them . . ."

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

"Does vandalism count even if it was done by an evil robot duplicate?"

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

"My family, my friends and people, in that order."

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

"Right now? Kristin. She’s a good friend."

Who or what do you despise? Why?

"Killers. They're the worst sort of robber."

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

"Boldness, honesty, stubbornness, empathy. I'm running low on the first two, but I've got the rest down, I think."

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

"Selfishness, cruelty and apathy. I do, but I like to think I keep them down, in the cesspool at the bottom of my soul where they belong."

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

"Yes and yes. I don't think Mom and Dad would react well to knowing that I was pulling the whole caped crusader routine. And what they don't know . . ."

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

"Usually I do okay in groups; I can make concessions, try to keep the peace. I usually tend to fall behind someone else, though."

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

"No."

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

"I'm part of a theater troupe. We have weekly rehearsals and tons of little unscheduled hangouts, and I go there as often as I can manage."

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

"I know I'm weird for this, but I don't have a lot of childhood heroes. They really weren't part of my life until I got to Freedom."

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

"No."

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

"When I was just getting started, before I got this costume and was just trying the hero thing out I was rooftop hopping over where the Theater and the Fens starts to blend together. Some sleazeballs had got hold of a someone who'd wandered down the wrong alley and started beating the tar out of him. It was bad, real bad, I think I saw one of his teeth on the ground. I got down there, drove them off and let him out.

"He was thanking me, hugging me and saying stuff like 'angel' and 'god bless you,' like he really meant it. Being a hero is . . . validating."

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

"I'm thinking no."

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

"I'm just getting started on this whole hero thing. I want to figure it out a little better than I have right now, I think. Plus getting through my classes, making some new friends in Freedom . . . you know, school stuff."

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

"I want to get a job as an actor in the big time. The kind people will remember."

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

"The Terminus . . . No. I'm afraid of being a monster. I can deal with heroics, I can deal with danger but I don't want people looking at me with fear in their eyes. That's what keeps me up at night. I have a hard time even facing it."

Is there anything you would give you life for?

"I . . . Don't know."

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

"Money might not buy happiness, but it'll net you an apartment and good food. I hoard like a Scrooge, except I don't really have much to hoard."

How do you generally treat others?

"Most people are off doing their own thing, minding their own business. I don't like everyone I meet, but even then I try to be pleasant long enough to get out of there."

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

People will lie to you if they think it'll make things easier for them. Well . . . I had a few 'friends' back home in Normal who liked to say something and then turn right around and do something different, but then again, who hasn't?

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

I'm good at talking with people, but it wears me out so quick. It's nice when you can just sit back, prop your feet on the table and not worry about how people think of you, you know?

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

"Well . . . I try to make them laugh. Test the waters a little. Uh . . . I don't know, I've never really had a relationship before. I don't know how it works. I don't know how to get someone to really like like me."

What are your most annoying habits?

"People say I'm too playful, while I'm finishing an assignment, in class or out on patrol a lot. Especially out on patrol. When other heroes hear me and think I don't really take it seriously they tend to react badly. I've gotten the 'this is not a game' talk more times than I wanna remember.

"Other than that . . . I guess I'm very physical. I don't like to sit still and I don't like to just talk. I want to move my hands and gesture and I want to shift around. My teachers usually say I'm restless. "

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

"I think . . . Hate groups. People who hold what someone's been born against them, especially when there's nothing wrong with it in the first place. It gets me riled up."

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

"Meat, actually. I'm an indiscriminate lover of meat. Pork, ribs, chicken and more, I love it all, and I eat a lot of it. Lamb is tiny, barely enough to put a dent in my stomach. People used to joke that how much I could put down was inhuman, which is a bit less funny in hindsight."

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

"Water, actually."

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

"Let's say ice cream."

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

"Nah. I'm a human . . . Well, I'm a living garbage disposal!"

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

"Red's my favorite."

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

"When you spend too long in a theater, you start to like a lot of old musical songs."

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

"Good cooking."

Do you have a favorite animal?

"Not really, no."

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

"What is it with you and your trinket obsession?"

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

"Exercise does a body good, but after a that's done I like to have a nice soft bed to lay on."

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

"I'm a hero, right? I want to save, or at the very least not hurt them. I don't want to go counter to that."

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life? How important is it to you?

"My family stopped going to church before I went to Junior High."

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

"Um. My Mom and Dad, I guess?"

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

"I don't."

Could you kill? Have you killed?

"I've never killed anyone. If I had too . . . I don't know."

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

"Listen, I just don't know yet, okay? "

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

"I haven't been doing this long. What if someone's trying to kill a buncha people, and there's no other way? Do I just let him? Do I try to find another way, even if it means everyone else might die? I dunno, I dunno . . ."

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

"If it was a friend, I think I might be scared. If it wasn't, I think I'd be angry. But no matter what, I'd feel sick."

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

"I'd take it back. If I couldn't take it back, I'd kick their ass."

How would you react to public humiliation?

"Abort. Get away, out of there right away, as fast as I can manage."

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

"Make them pay, if it was on purpose. An accident? I dunno . . . It's never happened to me."

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

"Murder. You do something awful to someone, they can get up again. They can rebuild, get better, be happy. There's no getting up after murder's done."

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

"I think I'd go around the world, see places I haven't seen before. Maybe kiss someone and mean it. And eat like a king!"

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

"Yup. I was born a mutant, but I didn't know how to make it work. They helped me work it out in Claremont."

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

"Teachers at Claremont, again. It's kind of their job."

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

"I'm an actor. I got it by acting."

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

"No. But when I get out of Claremont, maybe I'll be an actor . . ."

What is your preferred combat style?

"I like to get up close and hit them hard when I can, and when I can't, blast them right out of the sky so I can."

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

"A few local kung fu tournament ribbons when I was younger. Some acting honors in Normal. Nothing big."

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

"Look at me, just look at me. I look like a middle school student. Criminals never surrender when I come knocking, they always try to push me out of the way and try their luck. I want to be able to get them to take me seriously!"

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

"Well yeah I'm jealous, but I'd be stupid if I didn't try to learn from them or if I held it against them. You don't snub an actor that's better than you, you talk and try to figure out their tricks."

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

"Go to class, go to my room and get my homework done with, try to find someone to talk to and have fun, then patrol before it gets too dark. It's usually a relief to get out of the rhythms for a little while."

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

"I'm part of an acting troupe, I've been doing it ever since I was a little girl, though it was a different troupe back then."

What do you do for fun?

"I read, play some games with friends, go for walks that may or may not be in Freedom."

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

"Yes! It's got a pretty snug black, um, close-fitting bodysuit, I guess. It covers me from my neck to my ankles and wrists, with a red wavy swirl right across my chest. It's weird how tough and strong it is; whoever makes the uniforms at Claremont are geniuses, but I didn't really feel comfortable with something that hugged my skin so tight, so I got a vest to wear over the top. It was enough for me to pretend I was dressed like normal, and now, I kinda like the way it looks. I've got red boots on my feet and fingerless gloves on my hands to complete the ensemble. That's Warp!"

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

"I like something utilitarian that I can move around in. Shorts and shirts and jeans are nice. I don't have a lot of skirts or dresses anyway. I'll wear them when not wearing something old school would get me glares, but I like to avoid it when I can."

What do you wear to bed most nights?

"Pajamas."

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

"No."

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

"In my own private little pocket dimension. I keep everything there, and I mean everything."

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

"If I can't get somewhere by clicking my heels together and making a wish then I'll need a spaceship to take me there."

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

"No."

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

"I . . . Think there's enough entropic radiation on me to register me as a T-baby, I think mine is supposed to be unique."

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

"Acting. And heroics, obviously."

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

"A little, yeah. Am I just a mutant, or some sleeping agent for Omega? Or maybe a living, entropic time bomb? I don't know. Maybe."

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

"Mobility, probably."

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

"My inexperience with all this heroing nonsense."

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

"You don't have to lie, Kat. Not all the time, and especially not to your friends."

• 2 months later...

• November 2003
    Normal, Illinois
    A Certain Elementary School

T: “Mr. and Mrs. Shade, it has come to my attention that your daughter is becoming involved in fights with other children on the playground.â€

Rose Shade: “Our Lilly?â€

Alexander Shade: “Are you certain? Have you seen it?â€

T: “I’m afraid I have, personally. I was on call to monitor the playground and was keeping an eye on her. Would you like to hear the details?â€

R: “ . . . No, no, we trust you. I just don’t understand how why she would do such a thing.â€

T: “I know . . . she’s usually such a sweet girl. Has there been any deaths, any tension in the family, anything that might explain this sudden change in behavior?â€

R: “Not that I can think of.â€

A: “None at all.â€

T: “You’re absolutely sure? Nothing at all?â€

A: “ . . . I suppose she has been having more nightmares than usual.â€

T: “What about?â€

R: “Nonsense.â€

A: “Terrible things, but nothing real.â€

T: “Well, sometimes children can change for reasons we don’t understand. You are her firmest tie to the world; we can punish her all we like, but unless we have your support none of it will take.â€

R: “You have it.â€

T: “Can you make sure she knows that what she’s doing is wrong? In no uncertain terms; I have a daughter as well, I know the first instinct is the comfort her, but what she needs now is . . .â€

R: “. . . Discipline.â€

A: “. . . Guidance.â€

T: “Yes, exactly.â€

A: “Is there anything else you would recommend?â€

T: “Well . . . Katharine has been restless in class. She has a lot of energy to burn. I would suggest some extracurricular; dance, choir . . . my daughter started gymnastics, and it’s done wonders. Give Kat a place to let loose, so she doesn’t do it in the classroom.â€

R: “We’re so sorry Lilly has been such trouble.â€

T: “Not at all. We’re all rough around edges when we’re children. I’m sure, with our help, she will grow into a fine young woman.â€

>>June 10th, 2012

>>Katharine Shade

• We're making progress with Katharine in our sessions. Her reports of power incontinence have gone from daily to nonexistent in the past month, and if she's hiding it then Katharine is doing a good enough job to hide it from our sensors, which is progress in of itself. She now seems capable of making use of her gifts on command, which allows us to take a better look at what causes them. We may want to approach her about sleeping without her nullifier.

Kat has begun approaching us about how Claremont supports heroes during her meditative sessions, and expressed an interest in moving into courses reserved explicitly for them. At present, she'd get herself badly hurt, but the girl's physical aptitude has some promise, especially if she can get her powers under control. Put her into combat courses, focus on hand-to-hand if you can.

Until examined further we can't be sure what effect her powers might have on living tissue, and so I would much prefer to know that she can defend herself physically, with her hands and feet, without dissolving whatever poor bastard is in front of her. She has no small experience with it, so if she is open to practice in the Doom Room, we can shift her into heroic training regimes and get her ready before the Fall semester starts. We can approach her about a choice in costume once she has proven herself more fit for handling herself in a conflict.