Picking Up the Spare (IC)

Azuth65

The smile really hadn't left Kristin's face since that kiss, but it grew even broader when Jennifer handed her the keys. "I've started learning in a manual," she answered as she bounced up and down on her toes, then dashed around to the drivers side of the car. "I figured it would be best to learn that way, it's got to be easier to switch to an auto rather than the other way around."

The excited learner-driver opened the door and hopped in, then discovered that her feet couldn't reach the pedals. "How long are your legs? geez!" she asked with a laugh while she fumbled with the seat adjusting controls. Finally settled in place she lifted the keys and then stopped cold. "Jennifer," she said in a level tone. "Your car is broken. There's nowhere for the key to go."

Jen chuckled as Kristin played with the power seat controls to move the driver's seat forward, "Not too long, besides, if having to move the seat is the only complaint you have about my legs I'd say I'm ahead of the game."

Reaching over, she gently took the keys before tossing them in the back seat and then pushed a button on the panel to the right of the steering column. As the vehicle roared to life, the black girl said, "Keyless ignition. Just need to have the remote in the car."

Kristin laughed. "Now you're just showing off!" she teased as she floated the keys back into Jennifer's hand with a gentle wisp of telekinetic energy. "Alright, let's see..."

It took a few minutes for the learner driver to familiarise herself with the car and get everything set up in a way she was comfortable with - mirrors adjusted, seatbelt tight, chair comfortably positioned. All set, she took a deep breath and tentatively started the car rolling. There was a brief jolt of acceleration - the Mercedes was far more powerful than the hatchback her lessons were conducted in - but she quickly dialled back the pressure on the accelerator and smiled as the car started to move more smoothly.

"Sorry 'bout that" she grinned as she looked over at Jennifer. "It's a bit different to what I'm used to."

It was an extremely cautious exit from the carpark, but the start of the drive was completely uneventful and soon Kristin's knuckles were rather less white on the steering wheel as she headed back towards Claremont.

Taking her keys out of the glowing green field she eyed the effect before replying in a deadpan, if teasing, voice, "And I'm the showoff?" Not waiting for a reply, she tucked the key into her pocket. "If I had been going for a full showoff, I'd have probably hit the remote starter so the seat and wheel warmers would have been on."

After being thrown back into her seat she glanced over and returned her date's grin, "Yeah, this might not have been the best car for some practice in but I trust you'll get the hang of it."

The rest of the ride back to Claremont went smoothly, give or take some minor over steering and sudden acceleration. "Not bad. I don't recommend something with this much power for your first car but once you get your full license, give me a call, I'd love to help you do your shopping."

Standing in the light rain of the chilling evening air, she pulled Kris in for one last kiss for the evening. "Call me with some ideas for our date?" she asked the younger woman.

"I just didn't want you to have to crawl back there to get them!" was Kristin's explanation for the telekinetic key-retrieval service. "Nothing show-offy about it! If I wanted to go for a full show-off I would have flown the car back to school. That wouldn't be very subtle though, and I'm liking that this was a totally Jackson-free evening!"

She grinned at the offer of car-shopping assistance. "I think you're going to find my first car super boring," she chuckled. "Something cheap that does zero to a hundred in about ten minutes probably. Hardly the sort of thing you like to drive!"

She shivered slightly in the chill air as she went to say goodbye, although the hug and kiss that she got warmed her quickly. "I'll call you Friday," she agreed when Jen asked her to come up with ideas for another date. "Something with more betting maybe," she said with a thoughtful expression. "But I'm betting the kiss this time so I don't have to let you win again."

Though she didn't want the evening to end it was time to go inside, so after a quick last kiss goodnight she turned and headed for her dorm room. As happy as she was it was hard to walk normally - she wanted to run, to jump or to skip along to the beat of her heart - but she managed to keep herself under control until she reached the door. She turned to look back and gave Jennifer a quick wave before she ducked inside out of the cold, still grinning happily as she headed up the stairs to her room.