The Midnight Society Holiday Party (IC)

Thevshi

Kristin smiled as Megan and Lord Steam headed off to the ballroom to dance - which sounded like a fine idea to her. She waited for a little break in the conversation, rolling her eyes just slightly as it turned inevitably back towards sports cars. "Speaking of 'going for a spin'," she said to Jennifer with a grin. "How're you at the whole dancing thing?"

She gestured at her comfortable flat shoes, then mimed a couple of quick dance steps. "I took dance in school back home, and even though I'm out of practice I betcha I could dance circles around you!" she challenged as she offered Jen her hand. "If you're up to it of course!"

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Well it's all a bit hush hush really..." said Lord Steam airily. "But you seem like an attractive young woman, so I'm sure you are trust worthy" he continued, giving her a little jiggle spin.

Megan made the spin with ease, her heels not slowing her in the slightest. "Oh, are you sure? We attractive young women can be so devious." She replied with a mischievous grin.

The blonde continued to listen as Lord Lockwood continued, talking about a multi-dimensional theory. While Megan was not familiar with the theory, she certainly knew that other dimensions existed. Of course, that was as Velocity, where she had faced off with Johnny Speed from Anti-Earth, and had learned more about other dimensions while a member of the Freedom League.

But of course, that was not something she openly talked about as Megan Howell. Coming out of another spin to face Lord Lockwood once again, she gave him a smile. "Well, I am from Freedom City, and everyone here certainly knows about the Terminus." She paused a moment, and then continued. "But that is amazing. So in your dimension, the Colonies stayed part of the Empire? There must be some very interesting differences."

"So what brings you to our dimension?" She then asked.

Kristin smiled as Megan and Lord Steam headed off to the ballroom to dance - which sounded like a fine idea to her. She waited for a little break in the conversation, rolling her eyes just slightly as it turned inevitably back towards sports cars. "Speaking of 'going for a spin'," she said to Jennifer with a grin. "How're you at the whole dancing thing?"

Handing her empty glass to a passing waiter she smiled at her girlfriend after catching her eye roll, "Sorry Gorgeous, I'm a gear head. You knew that when we started dating and you've seen the Top Gear DVDs in my living room."

She gestured at her comfortable flat shoes, then mimed a couple of quick dance steps. "I took dance in school back home, and even though I'm out of practice I betcha I could dance circles around you!" she challenged as she offered Jen her hand. "If you're up to it of course!"

Indicating her own shoes with their low heels, chosen as much to match her dress as keep her from towering over her date any further than she did in flats, she added, "I'm used to a few inches more under my heel so perhaps. But even in these I can handle a few songs out on the dance floor."

Offering her arm she bowed slightly, "Shall we my dear?"

"But that is amazing. So in your dimension, the Colonies stayed part of the Empire? There must be some very interesting differences."

"Oh yes! The tea is better over there!"

"So what brings you to our dimension?" She then asked.

Oh a bit of this, a bit of that. Keeps me out of trouble..." said Lord Steam airily. The truth was, M has exerted pressure on him after that ruddy Lord Bellowforth started agitating.

"...well, not out of that much trouble, obviously!" he added cryptically, with a wink.

"Well, I am an official ambassador from my dimension. I have some diplomatic duties, but its rather dry usually. I let my staff deal with most of that. What I really enjoy is a battle of wits with a master criminal! I am spoilt for choice in this dimension!"

Kristin smiled as she took Jennifer's arm and let her date lead her towards the ballroom. "In Australia we would call you a rev-head not a gear-head," she laughed. "And you know I don't mind, I just can't quite keep up! Soon though, I've been studying Top Gear episodes. I reckon I can even tell a Hyundai from a Ferrari by now!"

She paused at the entrance of the rather majestic ballroom to look around and gave a low whistle as she took in the collection of immaculately dressed dancers.. "Wow, this place is really nice," she said, then looked up at her date. "So can you actually dance? You're like a foot taller than me so I reckon that means you get to lead."

Megan chuckled slightly as Lord Lockwood stated the tea was better in his dimension. The pair continued to glide gracefully around the ballroom, weaving among the other pairs of dancers out on the dance floor as they went.

"I can imagine that official diplomatic duties could be somewhat tedious." The attractive blonde stated. "Sadly this dimension does seem have more than its fair share of dangerous criminals. And I am sure quite a few master criminals." She then added. "Have you had any particularly interesting confrontations since coming here? Or are they something you’re unable to talk about?"

Agnus rolled her eye and gave Amir a look and then she gave a little shrug.

“Okay, okay I’ll give it a try.†She gave a quick look to make sure they were alone “But I warn you there feet can shatter concrete, so if I step on your toes it might hurt a tad.â€

She then began going through the complicated procedure of removing the platform shoes she was wearing.

“I like Kristen and Jennifer we should ask then to diner sometime, maybe Megan if she’s got a partner. Maybe even racing in those little cars of yours. Ah here we go.â€

She then tucked her quite expensive boot in whatever dimension her costume normally lived before offering her arm to Amir.

"Have you had any particularly interesting confrontations since coming here? Or are they something you’re unable to talk about?"

Well I had a rather interesting encounterwith those winged fellows from Greenland. Complete with exploding zepplin's and a fabulous design for a steam gun..."

"It's a rather refreshing dimension, this, I have to confess. Always something rather spectacular happening. And your crooks! Dr. Sin, Conundrum...fascinating chaps!"

He had done his homework on his favourite topic for this dimension.

"Is your good self a lover of crime --- fighting?" then, giving a slightly ambiguous pause in his words to judge her reaction.

"That does sound rather interesting." Megan replied as Lord Lockwood described one of his adventures. She kept a smile on her face as he continued, though she was not sure she would call Dr. Sin or Conundrum "fascinating."

As Lord Lockwood asked her a question about her level of interest in crime fighting, Megan found herself trying to think of how best to answer. Of course, it helped that her abilities allowed her to think far faster than most, but in this case she was not entirely ready for such a question, though she probably should have been.

"Lover of crime fighting? Me?" She began, trying to sound as dismissive as possible. "No, no. But this is Freedom City, so it is somewhat hard to avoid reading about it." But Lord Lockwood could detect a hesitancy in her response, and an indication that there was more that the young blonde was not saying.

"Lover of crime fighting? Me?... No, no. But this is Freedom City, so it is somewhat hard to avoid reading about it."

Lucien's face was an impassive smile as he continued to dance with her.

"Of course, all the adventure, the excitement!" he encouraged her.

She has a secret!

The question was, what? an obsessive love of superheroes? or crime? a criminal herself? or was she a....

It's possible... he concluded. Freedom City had its fair share of costumed crimefighters, wearing masks to conceal their true identity. He had never much cared for a mask, himself.

"Ha ha, it is a jolly good read, all these superheroes and master criminals, is it not?" he asked. "All behind their masks! Why, you could be conundrum for all I know!" he teased.

“Okay, okay I’ll give it a try.†She gave a quick look to make sure they were alone “But I warn you there feet can shatter concrete, so if I step on your toes it might hurt a tad.â€

He held out his arm to help steady her as this happened. "I am not necessarily a great dancer, I normally go to a booth and look cool. That part is not hard." Flashing her a little bit of a grin. "If you bring me up lame, you cannot shoot me in the head."

“I like Kristen and Jennifer we should ask then to diner sometime, maybe Megan if she’s got a partner. Maybe even racing in those little cars of yours. Ah here we go.â€

Taking her arm, he lead her out to the dance floor then. At these events the dancing was a bit more relaxed, as the mingling for the wealthy, super-wealthy, and then Amir was more important than showmanship with a bit of dancing. "I would like that, I have never actually double dated. Though the Kristin girl, she is a teenager, so I do not think I can let her drive one of the cars without a waiver or something." He looked pensive for a moment. "Mmm, we will work something out, later when I am not being stared at by people who I am creditor and debt holder for. You are doing fine by the way."

Megan's mind was working on overtime at this point, the entire room seeming to be moving in extremely slow motion as she continued to spin and glide across the dance floor with Lord Lockwood. She had let herself be led right down into this discussion about masked crimefighting, and he had already managed to trip her up slightly with some questions. He probably suspected something, and was indeed very clever.

A part of her wanted to get away from all this questioning. One thought that popped into her mind was to slap him, cause a small scene and storm off. Yeah, that would be great, cause a inter-dimensional diplomatic incident just to maybe protect my secret identity. She thought. Besides, he is rather cute. And a good dancer.

All her consideration took a mere fraction of a second. At his suggestion that she might be Conundrum, Megan let out a small laugh. "Conundrum? Me? No, I am no where near smart enough to be some criminal mastermind. I mean, how good would I be if you teased me out so easily?"

"But, I can understand why superheroes would want to keep their identities secret." She continued. "I am sure most of them have some family or friends that they do not want to unnecessarily put in danger by allowing the criminals they fight to know who they are."

She then gave a small shrug. "And if their identity was known to the public, it would be harder to just be able to have time to just relax when they wanted, and you know, take a spin or two around a ballroom dance floor."

"On the subject of identifying cars," Jen started as the stepped onto the dance floor, "Did you narrow down any of the categories for when we start the car shopping in earnest? I am of course obliged to suggest your first car be something used."

Leading Kristin as they danced she added with a wry grin, "Learn from my experience on this one, you'll love and and won't be able to believe you have it but you are going to put some dings in it."

As they moved as gracefully as could be expected, she pulled her date closer and whispered, "I hope there aren't any complaints on your end, it's been a while since I did much dancing..." Kristin could not be sure but it sounded like Jennifer was almost as nervous as she had been on their first date.

"I'm not going to put dings in it!" Kristin replied archly. "Any dings that happen will be totally and utterly the fault of someone else!"

She grinned as she stepped under Jennifer's arm for a little twirl, and flashed a bright smile at Agnus and Amir as she saw them headed for the dance floor as well. "Are you nervous about dancing?" she asked incredulously as she was pulled in close again. "Just relax, it's supposed to be fun! And besides, you're probably a better dancer than most people here! You've only trod on my toes once so far!"

She thought about the car question for a few more seconds as they danced. "I was planning on getting a little second-hand one though," she agreed. "I don't want to get a loan if I can manage, and I've been saving up - I reckon I should be able to afford a decent second-hand hatchback pretty easily."

"I said the same thing when I got my first car. Then came the parallel parking," she responded. "That said, the way you handled the Benz on the way home from our first proper date, I can believe it."

Pulling Kristin's back against her front after another twirl, one hand holding the younger woman's while her free hand rested briefly on her hip, she gave a somewhat embarrassed shrug and said softly, "A little. My talents are mostly in the area of making things that go boom or computer security, not so much leading in a ballroom dance."

• 2 weeks later...

Kristin laughed softly as she stayed in place for a moment, then spun neatly to face Jennifer again. "No no no, you're not understanding here," she protested with an impish grin. "Even if I mess up my parallel park and bump into another car it's clearly the other person's fault for parking there in the first place! They should have known that I'd be parking there!"

She smiled up at her date as the music slowed and faded out at the end of a song. "I'm not saying you should give up your day job or anything," she teased gently. "But I reckon that with some practice you'd make a pretty fine dancer! 'Course, if it's stressing you out too much we don't have to dance all night, I'm not that mean!"

She offered Jennifer her hand as the next song started up. "More dancing, or shall we wander around and see if you know anyone else around here?"

• 1 month later...

"Agnus, my dear, would you please put your feet on mine, it'll make this a little easier. Also it will hide some things nicely." Rising a little off the ground as he did so, just enough to convey to her what he was going to do next.  Though he'd only do it, if she assented, primarily because it would be a bit of a spectacle.  Amir was not an amazing dancer, but he could be considered surprisingly light on his feet and definitely athletic enough to get along in this arena.

He had to be careful in his public image a bit more than most people here, particular for inviting a teenage female couple, including a minor, to someplace private. Though, a couples thing would allow him to mingle a bit more safely, especially at a place like his racetrack.

It was common knowledge with everyone here that Amir was well informed.  It was a habit he had kept before the advent of smartphones and cloud storage. He had rolodexes filled with people and small bits of information. Enough to start a conversation. They said a name, and he had a very good idea about them, having spent an hour looking over files and notes of the confirmed attendees, these events always had a public leak to bolster the public profile. So he was prepared, albeit with an air of nonchalance, one that was completely calculated. .

Edited by TheAbsurdist