The Midnight Society Holiday Party (IC)

Thevshi

Amir seemed nonplussed, like Agnus, and Kristin he understood the press, though he used it as a necessary evil. Something Megan would be aware of, despite the image that the public knew of him, he was a master at playing to the crowd, to manipulating the press. Just like right now, he had barely sipped at his drink, but he had lifted it to his lips time and time again, as he watched everyone around him now.

"Certainly is an invitation, though currently the track is open to the public, I can schedule a maintenance day if you want to try it out for yourself. You can bring guests too, I do not mind. Though I must say I am not a fan of the Tesla all that weight in the middle, handles poorly, plus the charge is not really viable. I actually just invested in a firm that is devoted to hydrogen fuel cells, and we are looking to expand that. I personally feel it is more viable, unless I have Voltage come around and charge my cars, but that seems like abusing the system somehow." And then he laughed a little, and glanced to Agnus, and to the girl she was talking to.

"Kristin, was it? Dear, it is alright. You should see what all the mudslingers say about me, 'Reckless, dangerous, poor fashion sense. A rake and a roustabout.' I mean truth be told they a little right, after all this is mine and Agnus' first date, and I took her here. Really I just wanted to see her in a dress, and it is better to be a little open the press someone, if you make a story they can't create one." Smiling slyly and offering a conspiratorial wink, before he turned his head to grin at Agnus, "I had to promise three rom-coms..." Sighing over dramatically, placing hand over heart. "Three! This also means I should give up the Superbowl as well..." Sighs wistfully, and gives Agnus the puppy eyes, bottom lip aquiver. "Can they at least be Sandra Bullock ones? That is all I ask, to abate my suffering."

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Megan listened to the conversations around her, taking a few sips of her champagne. Though she was actually able to drink a fair bit before she started to suffer any real effects, the young woman still tended to drink moderately the majority of the time.

She smiled slightly at Kristin's comment about Angus possibly having seen her in pictures with Jen and how some might be able to make that into a scandal. While Megan knew that there were some who might see it as such, she certainly was not one of them. She herself had been about Kristin's age when she had started dating college guys, and at least of couple of those early college boyfriends were likely at this party.

As both Angus and Amir talked about their own negative experiences with the press, the blonde nodded slightly. "I agree with Angus and Amir. You can't let yourself dwell on what some in the press choose to say about you Kristin. While I know you certainly did not seek out any fame, it is still almost impossible to not have someone within the press that does not like you, for whatever reason, and will always write and report in accordance with their bias."

"While not nearly on parr with present company," Megan continued, gesturing with her champagne glass to Angus, Amir and Kristin, "I had my own small experience with some British tabloids last year while I was in England. And all I did was date the son of an Earl."

Kristin couldn't help but blush bright red at being called part of a 'cute couple'. That everyone seemed to share her disdain for the tabloid media went a long way towards making her feel more comfortable at the party. While she still felt out of place at least everybody was nice enough to help her feel more comfortable. Still not sure if the drink she'd been given was alcoholic or not she managed to deposit it on the tray of a passing waiter and then turned to Agnus and Amir with a smile.

"Surely one party isn't worth missing the Superbowl, right?" she asked in amusement. "I mean, the three movies sounds totally fair, but to miss the big game? You must drive a mean bargain! I might have to check out that channel to see if it teaches me any Diva negotiating skills - I could only get Jenn to promise a spa day."

She shot a grin at Megan too. "Dating the son of an Earl is pretty much asking for photographers to follow you everywhere, you can hardly complain about that."

Jen chuckled at Amir's complaints over missing the Superbowl, "Honestly, I usually only watched for the ads and now YouTube has them within minutes anyway. Still, might I suggest getting TiVo before the playoffs are over?"

"To be fair, the contented sounds you made during the hot stone massage told me that they did more good than any movie could have hoped to do."

Taking a sip of her drink she eyed Megan, "I think I saw one of those covers. I wasn't going to say anything but since you brought it up, the matching bikini and speedo thing you two had going was just adorable." She smiled broadly as she delivered her good-natured ribbing.

“You’ve not seen the movies I’ve got planned out, chick flicks all the way. And defiantly no Sandra Bullcock. Remember you owe me big time on this one, you’re not meant to actually enjoy this.â€

Agnus couldn’t help to smile as something popped into her mind.

“Well as a great man once said I don’t see why people need to strap on forty pounds of protective gear just in order to play rugby. I’m descended from Jamaican stock so it’s Cricket all the way I’m afraid. It gets very confusing whenever they play England what side we should support.â€

Give the ham an inch and he will take a mile, "Really?" And he made an overly dramatic face, his hands jerking up to clutch over his chest. "See! See what I must endure! Oh, Miss Stone, you wound me!" And then he theatrically did pratfall onto his back. In the middle of a very important and stuffy party. Well semi-important. It was no secret that Asad was possibly the richest person in attendance, and his fiscal fortunes were not going to be impacted in any way shape or form. Besides, he had planned out some sort of asinine behavior at some point.

"I do not think I cannot go on... It is so cold... so... cold..."

"Yes, you're probably right." Megan said in agreement when Kristin teased her brining the tabloid attention on herself by dating Robert. When Jen joined in, Megan gave a sly smile. "Oh right, that. We were really just having some fun with the tabloids by that point. We figured they would be following us when we went on holiday, so might as well give them something to focus on in the story. It worked. I think at least one of the tabloids accused me of trying to corrupt Robert into a cast member from the Jersey Shore."

While Megan did not really mind the teasing she was getting from the two younger women, particularly when she had opened herself up for it, the discussion was bringing back memories of Robert, which was still something of a painful subject for the young blonde. She took a bigger drink from her glass of champagne, finishing what had been left.

Luckily, Angus and Amir provided something of a distraction from thoughts about Robert, as Angus dashed Amir’s hopes of an easy time in paying her back for attending the party. She chuckled slightly as Amir made an overly dramatic reaction, falling to the floor, which certainly drew looks from many of those gathered nearby.

Looking over at the other woman, Megan gave a small smile. "While I would normally say 'show no quarter' Angus, in this case I would kind of like to have a boss when I start my internship at Summit Transnational after the New Year."

"Ouch," Jen said, wincing, "That has got to be the single worst insult you could have lobbed your way." Noting the large gulp Megan took as the subject of her ex came up, the younger woman decided to let the subject drop.

She was helped in this regard by Amir's sudden outburst and pratfall. Smirking as she looked at the older man's prone form on the floor she took a sip from her flute of non-alcoholic bubbly before saying, in a deadpan voice, "Dibs on his car collection."

Turning back to Megan she asked, "So, any plans for New Year besides the internship?"

"Why if isn't Agnus Stone" said Lord Steam, by the young ladies ear.

"M sends his regards" he said, remembering a conversation he had had with the spymaster a few weeks ago. "And I suppose that old crone Redpowder too, although any compliment that passes her lips would probably burn them as they departed".

He stuffed a glass of champagne in her hand.

"I had almost forgot your incandescent beauty, my dear. The lights here only serve to further augment your visual charm" he said, with an ambiguous wink.

He took a half glance at Asad.

"Deceptively flat, that floor" he commented.

He spun around on heel taking in the surroundings.

"You are delighted to meet me, of course!" he proclaimed with utter certainty and a wink.

Kristin winced at the Jersey Shore line. That, in her opinion was definitely a step too far in attacking someone's reputation. Amir's theatrics distracted her from the conversation and she turned to regard the fallen man with an amused gaze. "It almost looks like Amir needs the protective gear to come to parties like this," she said with a grin. "I agree that it's pretty ridiculous for playing football though."

She was tempted to make a snarky comment about the patience required to support England at cricket, but the arrival of Lord Steam distracted her. She chuckled at his ostentatious entrance to the conversation and her eyes flicked towards Amir as she wondered if it would push him towards even more amusing antics. Despite her reservations about coming to the party it was off to quite an entertaining start, and she wondered if this sort of behavior was commonplace.

With a laugh Agnus offered a hand to help Amir up, she could have lifted him up quite easy but now wasn’t the time to show off her abilities.

“You know I could always increase your punishment, after all there’s always the really hard-core mushy stuff.â€

Without missing a beat, or dropping Amir, Agnus reacted to the arrival of Lord Steam.

“You’re a charmer as always Lord Lockwood.†She leant over and kissed him on both cheeks “Say hi to Bernard to me, the kisses are optional…â€

She turned to the other and after introducing everyone she explained, as much as she could, how she came to know Lord Steam.

“I did a job for the Lord employer, for which he kindly helped my buy my studio.â€

"Delightful on my back, I must say!" Flashing a roguish grin as he folded his arms behind his head, and crossed his legs at the ankle. Managing, somehow, to pull off debonair from that position. Which really was Amir's superpower.

Oh the looks Mr. al Misri got. But then he oftentimes got treated as nouveau riche all the time. Which was amusing, as while he had built himself he was less ostentatious than a lot of people believed. Accepting Angus' hand, he pushed himself up with his other hand, using his surprising strength and his ability to fly to make the transition of faux-tantrum to standing upright very, very smooth.

"I do not suppose I could bribe you out of additional punishments with a... Ferrari? Or a vacation to the Maldives?" His tone light and teasing, he was willing to take his lumps and Angus knew, but he was having fun hamming it up.

"Well, I still have one more semester to go at Yale." Megan replied to Jen's question about her plans for after the New Year. "I just managed to maneuver things so that my internship will be most of the credits I need, but I have a couple of seminars as well, though I will mostly be able to attend them via teleconference. I will probably only have to head up to New Haven for a day or so ever few weeks."

Megan smiled at Amir's continued antics, and Jen and Kristin's comments about him. It was then that Lord Steam made his grand entrance to the small group. Taking another glass of champagne from a passing waiter, the attractive blonde watched Angus' interaction with the newcomer, taking the few seconds before Angus made introductions of the group to try to recall what she might have heard about "Lord Lockwood." And a few seconds was a long, long time for Megan.

"Very please to meet you Lord Lockwood." Megan stated after Angus' introduction. "I have heard a bit about your many recent business ventures, investing in not only the arts, but science and literature, with something of a focus on mechanical engineering companies, if I recall correctly. My mother has also mentioned the stir you have caused in the social circles in the city, as well as your very generous work as a philanthropist."

“Say hi to Bernard to me, the kisses are optional…â€

"Aha!" replied Lord Steam. "Kisses are never optional when a beautiful woman is involved!" giving her a dainty kiss on the hand and a wink.

"Very please to meet you Lord Lockwood. I have heard a bit about your many recent business ventures, investing in not only the arts, but science and literature, with something of a focus on mechanical engineering companies, if I recall correctly. My mother has also mentioned the stir you have caused in the social circles in the city, as well as your very generous work as a philanthropist."

"Oh really!" said Lord Lockwood, feigning modesty and examining his nails for a moment. "I could not possibly accept such flattery from a enchantress like yourself! But..yes, it's true. I do try to bring a little bit of culture to this dimes...er...this city!" he said, wondering as ever exactly how much he should confess about his 'ambassador status'.

"But please! enough about my charitable work. I don't like to talk about all the work I do for charity. All the work I do for charity is something I like to keep private. So lets not hear another word about all the work I do for charity!"

He coughed with modesty.

"Let me instead sup some of your excellent champagne, and bask in your radiance!" he finished, giving Megan a wink.

"Very nice, though I imagine the drive would be incredibly tedious after just a few repetitions," she replied. "Still, congratulations again on your internship."

Jennifer smiled at Amir's attempts to bribe his way out of romantic-comedy punishment. "If you do let him off with the gift of a Ferrari, I know a very good mechanic who has spent more than a few hours working on those fine vehicles," the gearhead said with a chuckle.

After Agnus introduced Lord Lockwood, a faint memory of seeing him at a fund raiser at a gallery clicked into place. "If I'm recalling correctly, we've had the pleasure," she said with a polite smile, "Six months ago, at The Kirby."

While Megan was certainly no expert on the British Aristocracy, dating Robert while in England had afforded her the opportunity to attend a number of events that predominantly involved members of the aristocracy, including one at Buckingham Palace. She could not recall anyone with behavior, let alone dress, quite as . . . "antiquated" as Lord Lockwood's, but she still could not help but smile, particularly given his flattery.

"Well, the champagne is good." She replied. "But I can think of a much more enjoyable way to 'bask' in my radiance. I was planning to head to the ballroom for some dancing soon, and now seems like a perfectly good time to do so. Would his Lordship be interested in joining me?"

But I can think of a much more enjoyable way to 'bask' in my radiance. I was planning to head to the ballroom for some dancing soon, and now seems like a perfectly good time to do so. Would his Lordship be interested in joining me?"

"Well, I wouldn't mind taking you for a spin!" replied Lockwood, adjusting his cravatte and handing Blakely his cane.

He shuffled his feet slightly, limbering up.

"Of course, strictly ballroom for me. I can't be indulging in the peculiarities of dance you have here. All this jive and disco nonsense. No class of you know what I mean!" he said, turning up his nose whilst offering Megan his elbow politely.

"A good dance is like a good woman. It liberates the soul, curls the lip, bounds the heart, and trembles the leg!" he declared.

While Megan might normally be one to defend various modern styles of dancing, she chose not to challenge the idea that they lacked class. Instead, she gave Lord Lockwood a wide smile as she wrapped an arm around his offered elbow. "That will not be a problem. I made sure to get some ballroom dancing practice in earlier this week."

Glancing over to the others, she kept the warm smile on her face. "Kristin, it has been wonderful meeting you." She said, addressing the teenager first. "Jen," she continued looking over to the slightly younger woman, "it was great seeing you again. We should have lunch soon."

The young blonde then looked over towards Angus and Amir. "Angus, it was delightful, I look forward to having a chance to come and see your studio. Mr. al-Misri, as always it has been a pleasure. I am sure we will be seeing each other again after the New Year."

“Pff Ferrari I’m holding out for the Veyron or the Aston Martin, if he’s going to try and bribe me he’s really going to pay.â€

Her quite broad smile didn’t fade as Lord Lockwood as the subject of dancing came up. She wasn’t really much of a dancer, quite a handicap in the kind of work she was in. She gave Asad a sharp look.

“Before you say anything about dancing. In these shoes I don’t think so.â€

The large platform shoes she was wearing meant she look Asad in the eyes without effort, not the easiest set of footwear to attempt anything but the gentlest of dances.

He wasn't that much taller than her before either. Not that he minded her height. It made things like having his arm around her waist easy. "I would remind you, Ms. Stone, I can fly, so the dancing can happen a bit off the ground, so that your shoes would hardly be a problem." Though in truth he wasn't a bad dancer, he also wasn't good, and didn't do much of it himself.

The grin on his face was sly, and his eyebrows wagged just a little. "Secondly, you cannot say 'Pff Ferrari,' the wait list for a new one is near a year long. But if you really want a Veyron, I can make that happen. I would have thought you would have gone with a McClaren."

Jen nodded, "Indeed we should. You seem to have your hands full at the moment. I'll be looking forward to your text." Raising her glass she bade the Englishman and her friend farewell as they were enveloped by the crowd.

"Those are some very nice shoes, who designed them?" the young scientist asked, finishing the last of her now barely bubbling drink. And how does one walk in them? I'd probably have tripped over myself and gone headfirst into a waiter by now, she thought to herself.

Raising an eyebrow, she said with just a hint of excitement in her voice, "Whatever bet you and dad had, I can make sure he follows through for a chance to take said Veyron for a spin."

As Megan and Lord Lockwood started away from the others, she let out a small smile as conversation once again turned to "fast" expensive cars. She would have suggested the vacation in the Maldives, but then, not everyone could outrun any of the cars being discussed.

The young blonde guided Lord Lockwood in the direction of the ballroom, avoiding most of the clusters of people that might delay them. As they drew closer, the sounds of ballroom music was just discernible over the conversations. Soon, the pair had reached two large double doors which were currently open, the room beyond a large, open ballroom, around which dozens of pairs were currently gliding to the rhythm of the waltz that was currently.

"I trust this will fit the bill your lordship?" Megan stated as they made their way inside.

"I trust this will fit the bill your lordship?"

"A most elegant tempo" commented Lord Lockwood, adjusting his bow tie and dusting non-existent dust from his lapel.

"It's been a while since I danced with such a handsome young lady, of course" he said, offering his hand to Megan before stepping into the beat of the waltz. He began to spin and step in time with the music, holding his dance partner in a classic pose. He was not a dancer by trade of course, but he had a litheness of step and was in excellent shape. And, as befitting his status, he knew the steps of a ballroom dance.

"Rather spiffy little Soiree, here. Most elegant. Just like your footwork" he said to Megan as they danced.

"You do have me at a minor disadvantage madame. I am afraid I didn't do my homework, so I have to come asking for you to let loose the cat! where do you come from, and where are you going?" he asked with a smile.

"It's been a while since I danced with such a handsome young lady, of course" he said, offering his hand to Megan before stepping into the beat of the waltz.

"I believe it has been some time since I have had the opportunity to dance with such a distinguished gentleman." Megan replied with a small smile as she took Lord Lockwood's offered hand, placing her other on his shoulder as they stepped out to join the other pairs gliding across the dance floor. Megan's movements matched the time of the music almost instantly, her years of dance lessons and practice, not to mention her superhuman reflexes, making it almost second nature.

"Rather spiffy little Soiree, here. Most elegant. Just like your footwork" he said to Megan as they danced.

"Why thank you." Megan replied with a wide smile. "I would hate to think my parents wasted their money for all those dance lessons. And the Society's events have certainly provided the opportunity to stay in practice over the years. Your lordship certainly does not disappoint."

"You do have me at a minor disadvantage madame. I am afraid I didn't do my homework, so I have to come asking for you to let loose the cat! where do you come from, and where are you going?" he asked with a smile.

Megan gave a small laugh as they continued to glide around the ballroom. "That is certainly something of a broad question. But I grew up in North Bay. My father, Donald Howell, is a senior partner at the law firm Hartford, Grayson & Cole here in town. My mother, Erin Howell, is on board or otherwise involved with a number of different charitable foundations around the city. As for me, after the New Year I will be starting my final semester for my undergraduate degree in economics at Yale, though a majority of my workload will be an internship with Summit Transnational Group here in Freedom City. Last academic year I had the opportunity to spend the year studying at Cambridge."

"As for where I am going, that is a much harder question to answer. I still have not made any firm plans for what I intend to do once I finish my degree." Megan continued. "I may consider staying in private equity, possibly with Summit or another similar firm. I have also thought about possibly following in my mother's footsteps so to speak and go work for a charitable non-profit. And then of course there is always the question of whether I might want to continue on for a graduate degree."

"But I must say, while I certainly have heard about your activities since you arrived in Freedom City, there is great deal of mystery around you." Megan added with a small grin. "Not many seem to know, or been able to discover, much about your past."

"But I must say, while I certainly have heard about your activities since you arrived in Freedom City, there is great deal of mystery around you. Not many seem to know, or been able to discover, much about your past."

"Well it's all a bit hush hush really..." said Lord Steam airily. "But you seem like an attractive young woman, so I'm sure you are trust worthy" he continued, giving her a little jiggle spin.

It wasn't an official secret of course. He was an official ambassador to this dimension. It was just that neither government of the respective dimensions liked to make the alternative dimensions existence to public.

"Are you familiar with the multi-dimensional theory of Ms. Wells? fascinating lady. Brilliant mind. The Royal Academy can't stand it of course, a woman outshining the lot of the stuffy old beards. Anyway, probably called something different over here. Fact is madam, I am not of this world. Or indeed of this universe!"

He gave another spin as punctuation.

"I'm from a dimension similar to this, just fortunate enough to have the British Empire still in top form. the Yanks got the vote, and a part of the empire were the sun never sets. Our technology is a bit different from yours, too. We don't use too much of this dangerous electricity stuff. Good old reliable steam for us!"