Special Delivery

Warmonger

Ronin shut the door behind him carefully. He could hear the hiss and click of his locks coming on and the low chirp of the alarm kicking in. To those in the Rest of Lincoln Ronin's pad looked like another abandoned town house, of course looks were deceiving. Dropping his weapons on the floor Ronin began to peel off the tattered armor. He threw it to the side. He had a couple spares anyway.

Ronin began to make his way to the shower. Before he reached the bathroom he turned the news on and turned his T.V up obscenely loud. He hopped into the shower and turned the water on as hot as it could get. He rubbed the new flesh where his wounds had healed. New nerve tissue always felt tender.

The scientists that had given Ronin has powers ahd gifted him with inhuman powers of regeneration, but it didn't do a damn thing for the pain. OR the maddening itch when his body stitched itself back together. Ronin had had to learn that on his own.

Finished with his shower Ronin wrapped a towel around his waist and headed into the living Room. He picked up his weapon Harness and dragged it in front of the couch. Reaching under the couch Ronin pulled out the small toolbox George Cole had given him when his dad hand handed him the Power Rifle. The thing worked flawlessly but sometimes it needed a little TLC. Wonder whats on...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ronin shut the door behind him carefully. He could hear the hiss and click of his locks coming on and the low chirp of the alarm kicking in. To those in the Rest of Lincoln Ronin's pad looked like another abandoned town house, of course looks were deceiving. Dropping his weapons on the floor Ronin began to peel off the tattered armor. He threw it to the side. He had a couple spares anyway.

Ronin began to make his way to the shower. Before he reached the bathroom he turned the news on and turned his T.V up obscenely loud. He hopped into the shower and turned the water on as hot as it could get. He rubbed the new flesh where his wounds had healed. New nerve tissue always felt tender.

The scientists that had given Ronin has powers ahd gifted him with inhuman powers of regeneration, but it didn't do a damn thing for the pain. OR the maddening itch when his body stitched itself back together. Ronin had had to learn that on his own.

Finished with his shower Ronin wrapped a towel around his waist and headed into the living Room. He picked up his weapon Harness and dragged it in front of the couch. Reaching under the couch Ronin pulled out the small toolbox George Cole had given him when his dad hand handed him the Power Rifle. The thing worked flawlessly but sometimes it needed a little TLC. Wonder whats on...

After only about 15 minutes of intermittent (and mostly futile) channel surfing, Ronin's weapon maintenance was interrupted by the ringtone on his phone. Hughes was on the other end.

"Ronin, Ma needs you to come back in right away. It's work."

Hughes didn't sound like himself. Ronin was talking to son of the infamous "Bloody Mary," but if he didn't know better, he'd say Hughes . . . was scared.

After only about 15 minutes of intermittent (and mostly futile) channel surfing, Ronin's weapon maintenance was interrupted by the ringtone on his phone. Hughes was on the other end.

"Ronin, Ma needs you to come back in right away. It's work."

Hughes didn't sound like himself. Ronin was talking to son of the infamous "Bloody Mary," but if he didn't know better, he'd say Hughes . . . was scared.

Ronin scowled. I didn't want another job tonight. Though he realized he had no one to blame but himself. "Alright," he grumbled. "I'll be there in a minute." From Hughes voice it sounded like Mary had gotten into another one of her moods again. Thats why he could only stand her when she was sodden and drunk.

It took only a few minutes to reassemble his weapons as well as don another suit of armor. By the time he was halfway dressed though, he felt excited despite himself. a new job meant new opportunities to test himself. And new money to count.

Ronin scowled. I didn't want another job tonight. Though he realized he had no one to blame but himself. "Alright," he grumbled. "I'll be there in a minute." From Hughes voice it sounded like Mary had gotten into another one of her moods again. Thats why he could only stand her when she was sodden and drunk.

It took only a few minutes to reassemble his weapons as well as don another suit of armor. By the time he was halfway dressed though, he felt excited despite himself. a new job meant new opportunities to test himself. And new money to count.

A short while later Ronin stood in front of the abandoned theater that was the Kitchen. He walked around the back door and headed inside. He didn't waste energy wondering about the nature of his new mission. He would do it regardless unless it was too much trouble then he would turn it down. He had never abandoned a mission and he never would. How else would he eat?

He climbed into the lift and hit the button to take him upstairs.

A short while later Ronin stood in front of the abandoned theater that was the Kitchen. He walked around the back door and headed inside. He didn't waste energy wondering about the nature of his new mission. He would do it regardless unless it was too much trouble then he would turn it down. He had never abandoned a mission and he never would. How else would he eat?

He climbed into the lift and hit the button to take him upstairs.

Chad and Hughes met Ronin at the elevator. They both looked worried, a look that didn't quite match their hulking size. Chad was the first to speak.

"Mamma's in there with the guy. Be careful, he don't look dangerous, but I think . . . " He lowered his voice almost to a whisper. "I think she's scared of him."

That was quite the revelation. Bloody Mary scared? This could be dangerous.

The bar was devoid of patrons except for the man in the black coat who was sitting at small table. Mary stood behind the bar, watching him carefully. She looked up as Ronin entered, and pointed toward the man at the table.

The man in the black coat was sitting calmly at the table with his arms folded. There was a glass of water there that he hadn't touched but he seemed to be studying. Beside the glass was a small silver briefcase. The man in the black coat didn't look up when Ronin entered the room

Chad and Hughes met Ronin at the elevator. They both looked worried, a look that didn't quite match their hulking size. Chad was the first to speak.

"Mamma's in there with the guy. Be careful, he don't look dangerous, but I think . . . " He lowered his voice almost to a whisper. "I think she's scared of him."

That was quite the revelation. Bloody Mary scared? This could be dangerous.

The bar was devoid of patrons except for the man in the black coat who was sitting at small table. Mary stood behind the bar, watching him carefully. She looked up as Ronin entered, and pointed toward the man at the table.

The man in the black coat was sitting calmly at the table with his arms folded. There was a glass of water there that he hadn't touched but he seemed to be studying. Beside the glass was a small silver briefcase. The man in the black coat didn't look up when Ronin entered the room

Ronin scowled under his mask. Hell is going on? Mary looked like she had swallowed a cat. And it was clawing its way back up. Ronin hesitated. Maybe I should just go home. Man listen to me, I'm acting like Mary now.

Ronin walked up to the stool beside the stranger and sat down. His weapons clanked against the bar. Mary gave him a strange look then moved to the otherside of the bar. Ronin turned to brazenly stare at the man. He looked him up and down but couldn't find antyhing all that intimidating about him. Escept for the way he seemed to fill the bar stool with the quiet calm of a professional. This one wasn't some rich twit looking to take down his ex-wife. Ronin Broke the silence.

"Water huh? I hope your not cheap, cause you're in the wrong place."

Ronin scowled under his mask. Hell is going on? Mary looked like she had swallowed a cat. And it was clawing its way back up. Ronin hesitated. Maybe I should just go home. Man listen to me, I'm acting like Mary now.

Ronin walked up to the stool beside the stranger and sat down. His weapons clanked against the bar. Mary gave him a strange look then moved to the otherside of the bar. Ronin turned to brazenly stare at the man. He looked him up and down but couldn't find antyhing all that intimidating about him. Escept for the way he seemed to fill the bar stool with the quiet calm of a professional. This one wasn't some rich twit looking to take down his ex-wife. Ronin Broke the silence.

"Water huh? I hope your not cheap, cause you're in the wrong place."

The man smiled without looking up from his water. He had a mouth full of perfectly white teeth. Slowly he turned on the stool to face Ronin. Silently he pulled out a pack of cigarettes, the thin dark kind that foreigners smoked. He offered one to Ronin and then put one in his own mouth. With a graceful flick, his lighter was opened, and he lit is smoke. The lighter glinted sharply in the light. It was polished sliver, emblazoned with a small flag.

After the man had lit his cigarette and offered the light to Ronin, he put his hand on the small metal briefcase and spoke. He had a thick "African" accent.

"I need a reliable man to carry this briefcase across town." He smiled again at the simplicity of the instructions, knowing how incredulous they sounded. It was never that simple. "My duties require me to be elsewhere during the delivery window, so I am here to hire your services. What is your usual fee?"

The man smiled without looking up from his water. He had a mouth full of perfectly white teeth. Slowly he turned on the stool to face Ronin. Silently he pulled out a pack of cigarettes, the thin dark kind that foreigners smoked. He offered one to Ronin and then put one in his own mouth. With a graceful flick, his lighter was opened, and he lit is smoke. The lighter glinted sharply in the light. It was polished sliver, emblazoned with a small flag.

After the man had lit his cigarette and offered the light to Ronin, he put his hand on the small metal briefcase and spoke. He had a thick "African" accent.

"I need a reliable man to carry this briefcase across town." He smiled again at the simplicity of the instructions, knowing how incredulous they sounded. It was never that simple. "My duties require me to be elsewhere during the delivery window, so I am here to hire your services. What is your usual fee?"

African? Ronin thought. He had done some work in Africa once. Messy business; those Africans knew how to make war. Ronin declined the cigarette. Though he did eye the lighter. Was that the Sudanese flag? Didn't matter.

Ronin eyed the briefcase the man touched. A courier mission. Those were never good. "One Million dollars," Ronin answered. He reached over and took the untouched water, rolled the mouth of his mask up and took a drink. "Is what I would say, but I like ya. So its fifty grand."

Ronin went on. "I suppose things are going to be... difficult?" He asked as he drained the rest of the glass.

The African smiled at the "one million" crack, and then nodded at the price.

"I suppose things are going to be... difficult?"

The African replied frankly, holding the cigarette between his teeth as he spoke.

"It is hard to say. It is quite possible that your 'delivery' will go entirely unnoticed. It is also quite possible that at least one of the groupsâ€â€and there are more than a fewâ€â€who are interested in the contents of this briefcase will be waiting for you. Who knows?" he added with a slight shrug. The African finally took a drink from his glass of water and then took another long drag on the cigarette.

"How do you normally receive payment?"

Ronin drained the water with a loud sigh. "Groups like who?" Ronin inquired. I hope this guy isn't goign to get all mysterious on me now.

"As for the money. This little lady here handles that." He pointed towards Mary who scowled as she lit a cigarette. Sounded like this might even be profitable.

Ronin drained the water with a loud sigh. "Groups like who?" Ronin inquired.

"I am not at liberty to say. To give you that information would be to reveal to you at least part of the purpose and contents of the briefcase, and I am not prepared to do that. But have no fear, I'm sure you will be immediately aware when . . . and if . . . they arrive. They will be the ones trying to kill you." The African said that last bit with an exceptionally straight face.

"As for the money. This little lady here handles that." He pointed towards Mary who scowled as she lit a cigarette.

The African nodded back. He stood to his feet and pulled up his shirt, revealing some hard-worn body armor and a large "money belt" strapped around his stomach. He pulled the money belt loose, unzipped it, and began pulled out thick stacks of bills and setting them on the bar in front of Mary. He stopped when he had counted out five . . . almost his entire stash. He turned back to Ronin.

"I assume you brought your gear and can start right away?"

"Hmm..." Ronin answered. Great. Mysterious. . "Got it" Ronin answered. Ronin watched as the man took off his money belt, his eyes riveted to the cash as it was counted.

Ronin snorted when the African asked his question. "I was born ready. So where do you need me to take this, and are they expecting me?" Or am I going to have to shoot my way in?

"They will be expecting your arrival, but because of the sensitive nature of the delivery, the drop point will be on the move." The African reached into the pocket of his coat and pulled out a nondescript disposable cellphone. He tossed it to Ronin. "The destination, right now, is a delivery truck parked in front of 342 Lombard St., east of Freedom Square, but that will probably change. If or when it does, I will call you on this phone and give you the new location. You will know it is me by the password: 'Swahili.' Trust no one. They are waiting for you right now."

With that, the African downed the rest of his water and hurried out the door to the elevator. While he was waiting for the elevator doors to close, he offered one last parting remark.

"Don't waste my money, or I will be back for a refund."

The elevator doors closed and he was gone.

Ronin snorted. No refunds. Only credit and it was good for an assassination of your choice or one kidnapping. He turned to find that somehow Mary was nearly finished counting the money. She said she wasn't a super but it seemed she had heightened cash senses.

"So thats ten percent for the finders fee," she began. "And an additional fee for cleaning the cash." Ronin grinned as he walked over to her behind the bar.

"Mary I love you to death," He said. "Thats why on the day I kill you I'm going to give you a head start." She paused long enough to grab a bottle from the back and take a swig. She had forgotten he was there. "For every dollar I'm short your going to lose a finger." He warned. She only grunted. Then she stopped and turned her face to look at him.

"I don't trust that guy," She said gravely. Ronin stopped a the unaccustomed note of concern in her voice. Ronin shrugged.

"What else is new?" He asked. She looked at him a moment longer then shook her head and went back to counting.

Can't say he blamed her. Most customers just wanted a quick job and then to wash their hands of the whole thing. Sometimes though you get the ones that like to screw around with you. It didn't matter Ronin remembered his face. The guy wouldn't be hard to find if this was some sort of elaborate set-up. He hopped in the elevator and pressed down. Tonight was starting to look up.

Ronin got out of the elevator and headed to towards his 1970 Dodge Charger. What the heck is Freedom Circle? Ronin puzzled. Probably Centennial circle. Ronin started up the engine and listened to it purr. He made a mental map and drove off.

He idly wondered who exactly it was that would be after the briefcase. He really didn't care what was inside but they would have to go through him to get it.

Ronin merged into the busy Freedom traffic and headed for downtown. It would be slow going to get to his destination, but at least things were moving. Freedom traffic could grind to a halt all too often. On a mission like this, that could be downright deadly.

Ronin moved into traffic and began his short trip across town. his windows were tinted black. People tended to stare when they saw a heavily armed man driving next to them. Maybe that sort of thing is normal in L.A.

"There is no way she should be our president. What kind of leader cries on T.V!?" The shrill voice of Freddie Lemanche barked from the speakers.

"Oh Hillary," Ronin feigned a sigh. "Your so misunderstood." He reached down and changed the tuner until he found WBAT. He let the aimless noise filter through his ears while he kept his eyes peeled on the road. The African had said something about being followed.

Ronin saw it happening just in the nick of time.

As the mercenary pulled onto the ramp to the expressway, heading east, he heard screeching tires and honking horns behind him. Ronin watched in his rear view mirror as a large delivery truck swerved across traffic onto the ramp behind him. Before he could reach, a man dressed in black leaned out the passenger window . . . holding what was obviously a rocket launcher.