Getting Knocked Down (IC)

TheAbsurdist

"Progress is progress. Everyone has lessons to learn. The important point is to make sure you remember them. I'm not saying you've never done bad things, but I am saying that you wouldn't be here if there wasn't any hope for you. If you were dangerous, would Summers have let you in here? I doubt it. I've had to learn a lot, too, but, well, that's why I'm here. We're still teenagers, we have learning to do." She smiled.

"It isn't a matter of hope." He said it frankly, honestly as he looked at her, a frown on his face then as he glanced to her, and they continued on their way to the cafeteria. "I'd rather never have any hope." It was an odd sentiment, but in this case he had a different worldview than her. He wasn't going to argue about his nature, or fundamental understandings of the world. Instead he glanced to her then. "The force of your blows exceeds the eight hundred PSI. Or more. That would place one of your strikes as greater than a gun shot. You are trained in Muay Thai, which means that your shins and forearms can, with your train and strength, shatter cinderblocks. We are all dangerous, that is why Summer has us here. We are less dangerous when we have control. Or more."

"I have learned absolutely nothing that makes me better at fighting here." She admitted. "I've gotten beyond the point where any teacher can educate me. All the improvements I'll make in my fighting ability will come from self-improvement. But I have learned more about tactics, and more general education. I'm no less dangerous when learning here than I would have been on my own. All going here has done for me is help make sure I am in less danger. It's helped me be more aware of my surroundings, choose better tactics in a fight, and understand how to survive tough fights."

"On a pragmatic level, I can see that making sure a group of teenage superhumans and the like don't become villains is a logical thing to do. If we stay in Claremont, we have the potential to become assets of the community. Some people here have straddled the line before, where they might turn to crime, or were already criminals, but only petty criminals."

"We are all already dangerous. For different reasons." It was repetition, but she was illustrating his point. Then came lurch to a stop, and he turned his head to her, frowning a little but it was more like he just was noticing something that was coming to his attention. "But my worldview is not... Does not equate to yours."

As jarring as that was, he turned and continued on walking then. It was like he just remembered something. As odd as it was. "I have heard that term before, the Jade Harper speaks of those things, to be an asset, to serve a purpose. Serve the community. Or a government. Pray their interested are benevolent." He said it without any emotion, it was almost robotic and eerie, as the memories surfaced in his mind.