All Take and No Give(IC)

Ari

Philos approached the female bull more slowly. Males could be dangerous, but females of most species were a lot of the time deadly, and needed more time to calm. He leaned forward to meet her at eye level, and whispered quietly as he approached. His movements were slow as he got the cow more used to his presense. Eventually he was close enough to touch her, but he didn't. He moved around to her side, letting her see every movement he made as he nudged her forward slowly to join her mate. He was careful keeping quiet steps and listening carefully for any subtle or not so subtle changes in the envirement that would upset her even more.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

The cow let loose a threatening rumble and scraped at the container floor until Philos drew closer, his gradual and gentle movements at last convincing the bitter, angry animal that she and hers weren't in any danger from him. Watching him with vast and liquid eyes, the soft nudge galvanized her into action, trundling out of the freight container and reuniting herself with the bull, who had taken up position in a slightly overgrown part of the lot and was testing the tough grasses and weeds.

The small group near Archetype let loose a faint and very restrained cheer as she lumbered into view and trotted over to her mate, several Freedonians taking pictures of the strange sight to send to their friends and family. The costumed woman seemed quite happy to answer their questions about the animals, revealing a surprising depth of knowledge about their habitat and dietary needs. It wasn't the rigorous and detailed understanding that Philotherian had of Earth herbivores, but it was considerably more than what the Americans could have been expected to know. Wreak left his post briefly to stalk over to Philos, glaring daggers at a troupe of teenagers apparently trying to work up the nerve to get closer. When he was in range he said huskily to the Farsider "Thanks for this, really. Now if you'll just stand aside" he folded his arms across his chest and looked defiantly up at the animal handler "We'll be on our way. Archetype! We're leaving!" he barked over to his sister, who after a hasty conclusion to her lesson in the problems buffalo could have with their hooves wandered over to him with a warm smile to Philos. Taking a look around at the liberated animals she said "Hey! Thank you so much for your help, I'll just make a Sending Sphere, and we can-" only to be cut off as a much older-looking woman and man stepped out of a hole in the world. Both were dressed in neat business clothes, and were from their appearance and the accent of the greying man as he swept an imperious and dour gaze around the parking lot strewn with animals "My son, I am disappointed."

Turning fully to Wreak and cutting off the man's protests with a raised hand, he said flatly "You have failed in the first task we granted you and your sister. The mask is what we need to regain our birthright. I gave you one mission, Ayaguna, one. Now all is lost." he shook his head slowly, his eyes abruptly alighting on the two heroes. Stepping back he nodded to the woman, who had fixed Archetype with a Look that had left the normally ebullient woman speechless and shifting with embarrassment. Speaking aloud she stated to the world at large "There is one way to redeem yourselves. Destroy these relics, and claim the artifact." she looked at Philos "Do you have anything to say before destruction?"

"What exactly does pulling innocent animals in the middle of an unfamiliar and incredibly dangerous habitat have to do with a mask?"

Philos said it straight to the point,

"I have heard a lot of second hand thing, about animals being servants, about ruling, and about about superiority. Why you exactly?"

He was curious about the reasoning for certain. He was certain he could find some way to talk around it too, it wasn't that uncommon. They were an invading species almost, trying to forcibly push themselves to the top of the foodchain even though there were several other stronger predators waiting around to bite down on the competition before they could ever possibly get a proper foothole.

The King of Suits stepped quietly up to the family and Philos, saying "The mask they're talking about apparently has something to do with them...getting powers of some kind, I believe? At any rate, it is what they want to try and 'get back' the power and authority they used to have in the Lost World. Th-" the Frenchman looked suddenly at Philos, adding quickly for his benefit "My apologies! The Lost World is a...world, another Earth that appears to hold inhabitants from many different time periods and even universes, it is particularly noted for the large variety and number of prehistoric lizards that yet survive in it." he turned cold blue eyes to the "New Breed" "It seems their ancestors dwelt on that Earth, before the forebears of Zandar, one of its most famous citizens, expelled them." he swished the cape around his arms and body, leaning against the container that had held the antelopes and watching the four with a a polite smile and a deep undercurrent of fear.

"That aside, I would argue that all is hardly lost. The Lost World is a place that anyone can get to, I am sure after all this time, you would be welcomed!" he beamed at the mother, guessing she would be the toughest case. Directing his words to her he added "Won't the people of Zandar be pleased to know that you so honor his forefather's memory, you wanted to return and join him so long after your banishment! The Jungle Lord cannot hold grudges older than he is, surely?" he pointed out gently.

GM

The parents looked at each other. The father turned to Philos and began, with an air that said he had made the same speech many times before "Your comrade is...mostly accurate. The mask is not what we need to regain our power, however. It does hold the keys to controlling animals with our thoughts alone, however. It bears inscriptions copied from our ancestors' ancient tombs, and the one who masters its art can place any beast under their control, from this world or any other. It was stolen many years ago, and the ascension of children like Ayaguna and Abegbe" he smiled and clapped the pair on the shoulders, Wreak looking utterly furious at his real name being used, and Archetype looking slightly relieved "signifies that our time has come. They and the many who shall surely follow will supplant the people of this world, making a new age. We shall then sweep back into the land of our ancestors and take it for ourselves!" he smiled again. Adjusting his thin glasses "I trust that is understandable? Though...this has turned out much worse than we thought. Perhaps a change of tactics is required..."

The mother said to the King of Suits "I do not think we will be shunned, but why ask for the charity of the son of our betrayers, when we could take what we wish?"

"Because it won't work,"

He said it simply, not an ounce of gloating in his tone.

"Whatever you have in mind, what armies you might try to raise, animals you control, or metahumans you may have under your influence, it won't work. This world isn't something you can just take, it's too much. So many creatures, some domestic, some foreign, you cannot plan for every variable you think. You would not even of succeeded in any smaller conquests. Had you even touched that mask, who do you think would of appeared, local heroes, the Freedom League, a visiting alien even, none of them would of let it past."

Stepping forward, he looked upon the two of them, with a slight frown,

"So my suggestion, my honest opinion is that you let Archetype send these scared animals back to their homes and for you to take your leave. There is no need for anybody to get hurt, and there is no need for us to be in conflict any longer."

'Praise Heaven this tall fellow has been so calm' the King of Suits thought as he considered how to answer the mother 'Or else this would be a very short discussion.'

Smiling as best he could, the lean man added to Philos' words "As well as the excellent reasons just given, the fact remains that what you want is to return to a place governed by another. If you were going back to an old apartment or hotel, you would need to ask the landlord if you could stay! Now, you could simply kill the landlord, take his hotel as your own and rule it with terror, but it would cause such trouble for so many even besides yourselves that it wouldn't be worth it. So!" he clasped his hands together energetically "What all this..activity has been for is to ease your conquest of this world so you can go back to the old unopposed? Cut out the first part. Show yourselves to the son of your old enemy and forgive. Show to the Jungle Lord you are better than the people driven from his grandsire's lands; that your exile, while sorrowful and something that should never have been thought necessary, was better for everyone than mere execution, and has not been without good result. Zandar will be proud to have comrades with such dedication and drive as you!"

Turning to Ayaguna he went on "Wreak. Do you want to be feared for your gifts, or admired for them? Continue on this road, and you become just another super-villain trying to impose your will on others. Such come and go with the regularity of the tides, and are remembered hardly at all. In a place like the Lost World, however, do you know what good your and Archetype's gifts could be put to? Dangerous animals are a constant threat to the people of that world, and those as strong as you would be hailed with open arms! There, not only would you be welcome, you would be needed, and enormously so!"

Stepping forward he gestured to the loud and nervous animals nearby "Please. Do as he has said."

GM

The matriarch chewed her lip slowly, appearing to survey the two buffalo with care. She looked at Philotherian searchingly as she replied, her words chosen with care "If what you say is true, that conquering this world is not viable, then how is it so endangered by the myriad of thugs and inventors who constantly attempt to obtain it?"

"And besides, we would merely usurp the current governments, topple the ruling institutions and whatever super-powered beings that might oppose us. We have no desire to make the lives of every person in the world miserable." added the patriarch, brushing aside a curious chimp from his leg, and leading it gently back to its tribe. Archetype and Wreak looked almost surprised to hear that, and the powerfully-built young man gave a sharp look to his father. He held his tongue on that, however, instead saying "Yeah, we're not oppressors. We learned about the abuse of power from those who exiled our ancestors. We-" "Yes Ayaguna, they know." interrupted his father wearily, adjusting his glasses with a flick of his middle finger "Please be silent. Now, friends, I have no true quarrel with you, but you must understand that we can't let this go. Whether or not they wish it, our children will recover that mask. It barely has any intrinsic value anyway. It shan't be missed."

"And we cannot allow them to shirk their duties" their mother said with a cold eye on Wreak, who was by now nearly shrinking under the weight of parental disapproval. Archetype gingerly patted him on the shoulder. "You will try to dissuade us, of course, but you have no true facts on your side. There is no reason our attempt should fall to the same things that every other has. is there?" the matriarch asked challengingly.

"There are several actually."

Philos wasn't detered.

"For one, it doesn't matter if you think you can truly make things work for the better, if try to take the world by force, you will be treated like every other thug and inventor that does the same. Another thing, these duties you have given your children, they not only break the law, and put an unnessicary number of people at risk they are forcing innocent animals who have no interest in your politics or consent to your rule to be put in harms way. If you use animals as soldiers, humans will treat them as such and slaughter them without a second thought. This world may seem scattered and at a constant struggle, but regardless of that they can and have consistantly faced and repelled openly hostile and agressive powerful threats then you will ever be able to make yourself. This isn't a kingdom to be won, nor is it an empire to be toppled, this is a whole world that will not stand to be taken by force, and you are not and will not ever be the most imminent threat to such."

Taking a step forward he stared down at the matriarch his voice even, not angry,

"And don't think for a second that I wouldn't stop you if nessicary. There is no need for violence, but I have dealt and cared for creatures who have be mentally predisposed to be nothing but."

By now the King of Suits was sure that there wasn't much chance the family could be truly reasoned with. They were committed to trying to take over the world, and almost nothing would stop them from pursuing this...except being openly challenged.

Listening with no little admiration to the tall boy's even and quiet speech, Marceau calmly adopted a menacing stance, arms crossed over his chest and chill blue eyes narrowed with grim defiance. He couldn't hope to beat the pair of them alone, but if the pale youth was as skilled as he was implying, he wouldn't need to carry the whole load.

He waited until the last words were spoken, and in the silence that followed he said coldly, deep voice filled with an iron determination "And I will, too."

Hopefully that would be enough.

GM

The family stared in quiet shock at the very abrupt change in tone and temperature. Wreak looked by far the most at ease, the matriarch and patriarch looked utterly nonplussed, and Archetype was already making a Sending Sphere. "Bye!" she said hurriedly, and in a sudden burst of warm African air the family, the buffaloes and chimps had vanished, leaving a very surprised crowd, and the three ill-smelling freight containers sitting in an abandoned lot.

Philos raised an eyebrow at the hurried retreat, thinking about it maybe Archetype made the decision for all of them as she was the one taking care of transport. Regardless he let out a breath and looked out onto the crowd,

"This is finish, now shall we go about our business then!"

He said it was a loud voice and a smile and headed over to the masked man. Out of his pocket he removed his sunglasses and set them on his nose as he walked over,

"And you,"

Reaching into his pocket he produced a map and unfolded it in front of him,

"Would you be so kind as to direct me to the Green Chili, I think we are here,"

He pointed at the street on the map,

"I have yet to be able to sample Indian food, and someone at the housing suggested it, but I can't seem to find it near any bus routes."

Marceau stared in wonder as the family beat a hasty retreat. Then he silently raised a fist in triumph. "Victory!" the King of Suits exclaimed joyously "And hardly a single punch thrown!" He smiling and standing with his arms at his side, savoring the feeling of relief at the relatively simple resolution when Philos came up to him. The slightly shorter and stockier man blinked in surprise at the question, glancing at the map in momentary confusion before he beamed up at the young man. 'Wait...red eyes? Ah, someone with albinism like that young Wisp lady, no need to act all startled'

"Of course! Just follow this road north for three blocks, then on your right it should be the first place you see!" he traced the street in question with great precision. The streets and shops in this part of the city were quite familiar to him now.

Radiating good cheer, he added warmly, though in a quieter voice pitched so only Philos could hear "In fact, I will treat us both to a victory meal. Go down the first block, I'll meet you there out of costume."

He waved to the nearby Freedonians "Justice is served, citizens! Good day to you. Be safe!" Then he bowed to Philos and grappled onto a nearby roof, waving and then vanishing.

He quickly changed back into his coveralls, and waited at a streetlamp for Philos to walk past, falling quickly in step. "Marceau Suvou, may I know your heroic moniker, my friend?" he asked brightly.

He blinked quietly at the statement but waved as he disappeared out of sight and headed down the block meeting the non-masked man. When he introduced himself he asked a strange question,

"My name is Philos, and umm, moniker?"

Pondering for a second he reached into his back pocket and pulled out a book, he had to flip through several pages but failed to find what he was looking for,

"Huh, must not be an English word, or a common one. What does that mean exactly?"

He was curious, he could make a guess, but didn't want to chance getting it wrong, this was his second language afterall.

Marceau unknowingly mimicked Philos, blinking at the unexpected question. In truth he had never wondered that, during his time in England and Wales people had used it all the time. Of course, that was mostly to poke fun at his and Ace's chosen names. Casting his mind quickly back over what little he knew of the word, he offered brightly "It means what you call yourself or what others refer to you as, besides your given name. King of Suits, for example, is my 'moniker'." he explained with a kindly smile.

"As for it not being English...I think it might be from Wales, or Ireland maybe." He shrugged with an apologetic turn to his smile. Shaking the man's hand he added "Glad to meet you, Philos!"

He led the pair of them to Green Chili, happily greeting the over-worked woman behind the counter and ordering some curry, helping Philos make his order and taking them to a spot in one of the corners. "You're not from around here, eh Philos? I am from France myself. Three years resident."

"Oh, oh yes, some of the others in the housing have those too. That's rather strange, but then, you do wear a mask. Always thought that was strange, but then reasons, environmental I'm sure, and privacy, yes there is that issue. People can be very shy about those things here, and some not so much, I found that out rather quickly when they connected me to the local networks. So Ireland, it's a borrowed word then, lots of those, I remember Ireland having a language, but that it was no longer in use, so I didn't bother much in the studies. All the texts were in English anyway."

Philos spoke as he walked back and sat at the booth in the corner his back against the wall, he was enjoying the company at least, most the people at the SC housing weren't very social,

"Yes, I'm not from around here, not from around here at all. In fact I just got here, not a month ago, and the repairs are still being done from that little incursion. If only importing a mechanic wasn't so hard. But yes, I do miss some of the things in this language, though I'm pretty fluent most the texts I learned from don't use many borrowed words so I tend to get stuck. A moniker though, why would I have a moniker, I've always just gone by Philos, well that and ######, but there's no real translation for that here."

The second part was said casually in an unidentifiable tongue to Marceau. Philos paused to look at his menu skimming for his selection,

"You're from France, is it nice in there? I don't have much to compare it with, I have yet to leave the city and even so it's all so fascinating. Though no place for those animals, poor things looked so confused, those children too, hope they end up alright, their parents were rather abrasive. The mother especially, wouldn't want to be on the end of that temper, glad she left, might of had to actually fight, and nothing good comes from that."

Starting at the Farsider's sudden burst of speech in his native tongue, Marceau smiled politely at the other man. "I can understand that! Some people never take another name for this. Their choice, and nobody thinks less of them."

Leaning against the battered seat, he regarded the foot traffic outside with interest for a few moments before turning back to Philos. "So...one of the reasons you might use a 'moniker', 'hero name' or 'code name'" he punctuated the last one with a roll of his eyes and sarcastic finger-quotes "is to differentiate from your real self, to make it harder for people who might hold a grudge against you to find you. Or just to keep folks from hounding you in the street, asking for autographs, pictures and...signs of affection." he smile wavered a little at that last item. Digging into his curry with enthusiasm he went on "It is hardly required! I partially use it to distinguish between my regular life and vigilantism. Of course, our situations are quite different, so what works for me might not work in the least for you."

At the question of what France was like, Marceau's blue eyes all but glowed with enthusiasm. Jabbing the spoon into his remaining food, he told Philos "Freedom City is a great place, filled with power and mystery the likes of which can be found nowhere else, but my first love is still France. My friend, France is a place of wonders. Beautiful forests of tall trees that stretch for miles and are filled with magnificent animals of every kind. Hills from which cicadas sing at evening, skies that wheel with flocks of birds, towns surrounded by ageless fields that have stood for centuries. I grew up on the bank of the river Aude, where fish swim, fishing birds dart and the river itself carves sparkling waterfalls. The cities, Philos! They are spectacular." His smile turned wistful "It was my home, I would love to show you around it some day." He frowned "Though yes, the animals are rarely as well cared for as they should. Same across much of this world, unfortunately."

Grinning at the mention of the family, Marceau nodded "Agreed! I am sure she will be quite strict with them after this. Hopefully what you said will remain in their minds. I know it will in mine." he looked admiring at the Farsider across from him "I did not expect such deft handling of them from you, Philos. You seem even younger than I am! It took me years to realize how little good mere fighting accomplishes."

"A hero name, so like one of those in costumes, not sure why I'd need one of those. I didn't do anything terribly heroic, just a passing philotherian trying to keep things calm. Also, I thought vigilantism was illegal, but then very flexible definition here, hero, vigilante,"

He used his hands to weigh it,

"Hard to measure, but no one seemed upset you were there so I doubt there was any trouble. Well except for that Wreck fellow, he looked like he might of wanted a fight. Not terribly bright, but I expect it's what he's good at built like that. Gorillas are the same way, though they are in the best of times naturally rather peaceful."

When Philos's food arrived he took a testing taste, stopped for a second, before grabbing a handy bottle of tobasco and mixing in a liberal amount into his curry before taking another taste and continuing without so much of a look about the spiciness,

"France sounds fantastic, though I guess you have some bias. But then, everyone has some bias, though I'm not terribly biased about here, there's so much to see! Even if it was ill placed, antelopes, I had never seen a real one in person, or bison for that matter. The orangutans were beautiful, they had such pretty fur, if I didn't have to enforce an alpha position to keep them calm I would of loved to get a closer look at them. But regardless, supposedly there are some at the zoo. I'd love to go see that eventually, though they are keep most of the exhibits closed for the winter months."

He took a sip of his water, he'd yet to find a drink that really suited his tastes, but water was the same and acceptable. It was near the end of the bit Marceau was talking about that a question formed in Philos's mind,

"And how old are you then?"

He was curious, he had a hard time with the relative age for humans. For one thing, it was considered rather rude to ask. He didn't know why, but it was something he was informed of before he left, though he doubted this fellow minded, he seemed to want to compare experiences, or at least that's what it sounded like.

"Philotherian?" Marceau raised his eyebrows.

"You should put some thought into that, Philos. You're excellent with words!" he said with an encouraging smile.

Stirring his food with the spoon he regarded Philos' spicing with vague unease, commenting only "Yes, Wreak did seem a little like a gorilla: strong and wary, not easily dissuaded." sucking in air as his next spoonful approached he added "Zoos, they always have animals worth seeing. If animals are your especial hobby, you're bound to see something few others would." At the question of his name he paused, considering it for a short moment before admitting with a wry smile "Twenty-five, last birthday. I'm not nearly where I hoped I'd be last year, but progress is slow I suppose!"

Blue eyes flicked to his curry as he took another bite and swiveled up to his meal-mate's red. "You plan to stay here long, friend Philos?"

"Oh, it means someone with a fondness of animals. So yes, I like animals, they're less my hobby more my job, I'm a handler you see. Mostly gorillas actually, but I know quite a bit about other animals, it's all about how you approach them. The orangutans for for example, had to assert dominance to make sure they would follow since they have a pack mentality, the antelopes and the bison however, they are herd mentality, need to be quiet, convince them you aren't a threat otherwise they bolt."

He spoon another bit of curry into his mouth before stopping for a second and splashing some more tobasco on his food, as he thought about the age, twenty five, that was about the time he started his training wasn't it.

"But yeah, I don't really plan on anything, I have a job to do. There's a new invasive species of animals on the loose due to a mass illegal importation of them that has only just recently been spotted. It's not the animals fault of course, it never asked to come here, but still if released to the wild it can cause massive damage to local populations, not to mention the possibility of interbreeding with local populations which could have mixed results. So really I'm here for as long as it takes to gather them all up and get them sent back to their native homes where they can live out their lives relatively peacefully."

"Ah, my mistake." Marceau smiled apologetically again, which fit the slowly deepening lines of his face perfectly. Stirring up a spoonful of curry, he brought it almost to his lips and then paused, staring in horror at Philos' cavalier dumping of tabosco into his meal. Wincing as he imagined the all-but overpowering taste, he managed "That is a terrible thing, introducing new species that disrupts the ecosystem around them. I have heard terrible things about the kudzu plant in America, and the rabbits of Australia." the tall and pale man's explanation for how you needed to treat different kinds of animals was quite interesting, but he was curious...though he didn't forget to take a few bites of his food first.

He suddenly leaned closer, asking nervously "Philos...what are these animals, anyway? I've heard nothing about an illegal mass-importation on the news. Not that I am all that up to date compared to some." he admitted sheepishly, rubbing his jaw. "Also," he asked, blue eyes lighting up "would it be possible for me to help?"

"That's classified. For various reasons, one public knowledge of this might encourage game hunting as it is a recommended method of removal for other invasive species and that's unacceptable. As for helping, I could ask my superiors but it's highly unlikely to get approval."

He took a drink of his water before clearing his throat,

"It's a very unique species to my particular, what is the word,"

He pulled out his book and thumbed through a few pages before he got to a list, he said no a few times in his head,

"I guess city state and or country. Anyway, the fact that it left our borders at all is considered rather embaressing to the government, and they've already requested assistance from this particular countries government though discretely so bringing in any other perceived outsider officially in to help would be considered unacceptable."

He was about to take another bite before he said,

"Before you ask, the name of where I am from is considered classified as well, also the location. Very isolationist country, very regulated travel."

"So, you can't tell me, due to the circumstances of their escape? Understandable." Marceau nodded a few times, looking down thoughtfully at his near-empty plate. He looked up with a smile.

"I will make no further inquiries, Philos. Please accept my apologies for prying into such a sensitive matter for your people. I can imagine the delicate nature of such a mission!" he added with a quiet laugh. Taking a quick bite and chewing with savor he thought over the rest of what the philotherian had said 'I had no idea that was a word! I must read a dictionary sometime...' before continuing "You mentioned that your transport was damaged. Might I be allowed to help with its repair? Or does it need parts and skill that I'm not likely to have?" he asked with a grin. Suddenly he frowned "Am I likely o encounter some of these creatures? If so, where should I take them?"

A look of concern "Er...sorry for asking, but...how are you able to take some much Tabasco sauce? Grand Dieu, Philos! I haven't seen anyone eat so much and remain so calm!"

"The transport is very specialized, it keeps containment units for the creatures as well as other things which were all damaged, so yes, you cannot likely assist in the repairs with any standardized skills. As for the creatures, do what you would with any other creature, safely contain and redirect it to animal control. They have my number if any reports of said animals come in."

Philos looked down at the tabasco then at him,

"Huh, really, is that why the bottles so small?"

He played with it on his fingers,

"I rather like it, helps the flavor, the curry's a bit bland on it's own. Could use some of those smaller peppers, I've forgotten the name, but they had it in jars at a story once."

Marceau looked at his new friend in stupification for a few seconds then shrugged off the surprise. Clearly the man was from a very different culture than he! Finishing off his curry he said mildly "You're certainly nothing like anyone else I've ever met, Philos. I will keep your recommendations in mind and not act rashly when I encounter any strange creatures. I wouldn't want your people to lose such rare beasts, whatever they are."

Glancing at the bottle in question he wondered what kind of spices the man must be used to..."Partially yes, because we here have a little less tolerance for it, and partially to make sure not too much is used by making it scarce." he took a swig of water to chase his curry down, smiling brightly. Collecting his meal cutlery neatly on the plate, he continued "I have no idea what kind of peppers you're talking about, I'm afraid. What did they look like? I can easily help find them if I know that." he offered, settling back into the seat so his meal could digest, and beaming at his dinner-companion "By the way, this is wholly unrelated by do you know about the French restaurant in Riverside, the Aliments Avenir?" with a conspiratorial glance to the sides, he said in a lower voice "I have an 'in' with the proprietor, after I helped save some of his patrons from a very...careless assassin" despite his cheer his lips pursed in grim remembrance. Suddenly his face cleared "Anyway! If ever you want to taste real French food, call my number here." he wrote out on a napkin a phone number, then passed it to Philos "There, and I'll give you a guided tour of my homeland's wondrous culinary tradition!"