All Take and No Give(IC)

Ari

GM

Freedom City, Theatre District, 52nd Avenue,

October 2nd, 2012, 11.53 A.M.

The day was sunny, if a little chilly, and the dawn was bright.

It was called 'boutique street' by the regulars, something of an exaggeration considering that there were only four shops that sold myriad knick-knacks, artifacts from old plays and sundry decorations among the cluster of stores on that street. The name came more from the slightly condescending way the actors, artists and other people employed in the theater industry viewed the mini tourist-trap, and the frequent crowds that eagerly trawled their wares.

The storefronts were at least pretty classy, decorated with painted plaster murals and with their names spelled out in copper letters that advertised the squat brick and wood buildings that were among some of the oldest on the street. The slightly dark and dusty interiors were usually filled by a crush of people poring over the relics of past performances, many of them eager beginning collectors or aficionados. Today was somewhat different, due to the shoppers running out of the stores, yelling in terror and forcing their way past each other to escape!

The cause of this mass evacuation was made clear by the small herds of sable antelopes that chased them out, furiously butting the Freedonians aside as they dashed down the street, spilling carts, crashing strollers and knocking down very surprised citizens. As they began to wreak their chaotic way into another one of the stores, two figures clad in spandex dropped down from the store the animals had abruptly exploded from in front of the scattered, nervous people. One of them, a woman with her features concealed by her white and red costume, with the emblem of a fang on her chest, raised her hand and announced "People of Freedom City! You who gather the dust of ages, and hoard the treasures of the past for yourselves, will soon know justice at the hands of Archetype and Wreak!" the man at her side in black and green, similarly masked, added "Behold and despair, Freedom City! You face...the NEW BREED!"

There was dead silence as the bruised, baffled crowd stared at them, some of the more daring shoppers quietly calling the police on their cell phones. The New Breed looked like they had expected more of a response.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screaming carried to Philos ear from the bench he had sat himself on. He wore long jeans and a baggy hoodie as well as a cap, his protective headgear, and a pair of black reflective sunglasses which peered over the map he was previously buried in using to find a decent earthen eatery before going to see an afternoon show that he had been graciously provided a spare ticket too from his hosts at the Freedom League. The scene in of itself was quite a sight to be hold, Gazelles, in the middle of the city, and there was no artificial habitats for miles as the zoo was so far away. How did they get so far without anyone noticing.

It was no wonder they were stampeding, they must be scared to death, not to mention the humans. This was no good, no good, someone might hurt them, or get trampled by them. He hardly noticed the announcer, no, the animals needed to be calmed first and foremost. He had his net gun, but that was a last resort, it would only cause more stress. Instead he leap off the bench and ran towards them before stopping and taking a slower pace as he looked at the animals. He made from then on, very slow moements as he paced around the herding animals, saying very calmly,

"Easy now, back up, you need to calm down."

He kept in a circle, trying to calm it while herding them in a same general area. Gazelles were very much pack animals and them inching into proximity was both natural and comforting to them as Philos tried to keep them from raging into another stampede.

With a whisper of boots on the pavement, the King of Suits landed in the alleyway. He had been on his daily patrol, and seen the charging antelopes long before he heard them, swinging onto one of the shops for a brief look at the scene before slipping into hiding, knowing that odds were he would do better if he wasn't seen before he acted. He wondered at the pale young man who had so fearlessly begun to deal with the herd 'Maybe he is from the zoo?' he thought distractedly, readying a card.

Let's see what these people are up to first...

GM

At Philos' gentle words and calming movements, the rampaging sable antelopes rumbled to a halt, sniffing the coarse and stinking air for his smell and looking at him curiously with their oddly-shaped eyes, pointed narrow ears that stuck out almost comically from under their large curving horns angling towards him. A few even stepped closer a few cautious feet, shielding with their rounded flanks the rest of the herd. The experienced animal handler couldn't have helped but notice though, that something was wrong. Despite their natural movements showing that they wished to halt the Arican warriors still moved forward, jerking their hooves towards him, heads lowering as if against their will. One even dashed towards the zoologist, sweriving aside at the last moment with a fierce twist of its entire being that sent it tumbling across the pavement with a plaintive bleat as it shakily regained its footing.

"Hey, stop that!" yelled Archetype, pointing an imperious red-striped arm at the interloping incognito Farsider. Striding towards him she went on, angrily gesticulating all the while "Cease your interference! I and my brother Wreak have granted these mighty beasts the thing all animals dream of: throwing aside the trappings of the old to replace it with the new! Now quit it with the ameliorations and soothing of the savage breast stuff!" she demanded as the air around her began to shimmer with heat "Or I'll teach you the new law of the jungle!" now standing quite close to Philos as she passed through the antelopes, close enough that it became quite clear she was wearing platform shoes and that her eyes were yellow like a hawk's.

Her brother was a little more relaxed "Forget him, Archetype." Wreak called after the woman, the spiral patterns on his costume seeming to turn before the eyes of the King of Suits "There's no way any normal human can break o-" then the antelopes brayed aloud, shook themselves vigorously and dashed away from the imperious Archetype, running headlong for several feet before stopping and looking around stupidly. Wreak started, looked straight at the lanky young man and all but shouted "Arch! He broke through! We're not in control of them anymore! But..that's impossible..." he added quietly, his dark face drawn into a look of deep worry "...Unless..no, he's not one of Zandar's goons. Take care of him, we don't need a friend to animals around if we can help it, these things are hard enough to control as it is. I'll go get the stuff" he added, turning unconcernedly from the mystified and slightly bored crowd and walking leisurely into the small souvenier and antique shop the antelopes had just crashed through, stepping over a shattered bust as he ducked through the doorway.

With a shrug, the woman looked back at Philos "If you want, I'll let you run. No sense in killing everyone who opposes us. I'll have to burn you at least a little bit, though, make it look convincing." For the Freedonian's benefit she added "Flee, relic! Or I'll turn you to ash where you stand, as penalty for opposing the New Breed!"

"Come now, you cannot truly wish this."

He changed his stance and posture. He had lowered himself so that we was more at the four legged creatures level, but now he stood tall, towering over naturally with her hand put behind his back as a gesture,

"You said you do not wish to kill, and neither do these animals. Together they can be quite fearsome, but to be feared is not their goal. They wish to graze, and to live in peace, surely you can let them back. Where did you get these animals, were they at one of the manmade habitats, where they can at least be provided for, or maybe a preserve, either way they shouldn't be here surely. They must be so frightened, among these buildings and unfamiliar creatures, there is no need to cause them such stress, as it is not beneficial at all too their health. There's barely any fresh pasture for them here, they can be hungry and tired and yet they are running through a concrete jungle which has no natural place for them."

His voice was level and calm, there was no need to fight, if the animals could be rounded up without being too frightened this could end civily and no one would get hurt.

GM

The would-be huntress paused, looking not a little surprised at such a measured reaction. "I thought you were going to start trying to tell me some sob story about how you "have a kid at home!"" she commented with a rather unpleasantly cheerful laugh, which she quickly schooled away. "Though, hm. You make a good point. Those things are difficult to control, and if we do not get them someplace more suitable to them, they will cause no end of trouble. Very well, I will use my power to help return those animals. But that might take a few minutes, I ah..." she frowned "...I teleported them here. Anyway! Let's get to work before Wreak gets wise." she clapped the Farsider on the shoulder and set off for the herd, whistling sweetly as another aura began to grow about her. "Keep the bulls from charging me, I need to set up the Sending Sphere." she added briskly.

"Well, at least these people are direct in what they want." The King of Suits rumbled to himself, slipping out of the alley after the spiral-decorated man sauntered into the nearby store, loudly announcing his intention to get 'the stuff'. He was a slightly reassuring sight to the crowd, costumed rescuers being somewhat of a familiar and welcome sight in such situations. Sighting the unheathily pale and lanky teenager down the street, apparently talking down the other half of the bizarre menace, he sighed in relief 'Ah, that young man seems to have the situation there well in hand! One less thing that needs to be worried about...' He ducked against the doorway, holding up a hand to forestall any shouts to him that might give him away as he carefully drew a few razor cards and tucked them into the narrow pockets on his wrists, peering into the shop for a moment before darting inside with a soft clik of his boots and a rustle of .

Standing in the midst of the wrecked shelves, among the debris caused by the stampede of antelopes through the shop, he called out "Wreak! Step forward, I am the King of Suits and I want to talk to you! You and Archetype say you are the 'New Breed' of man, but use animals to do your dirty work, and stoop to theft? Explain yourselves!" He tensed for the answer, which after considerable experience with villains he guessed would involve violence, and derisive shouts about how he couldn't possibly understand them.

GM

The shop was an absolute mess, most of the shelves were toppled, the merchandise was in piles of books, broken wood, long and heavy cords of cloth, masks and busts without count that littered the floor, and the hanging lights were still lit though. Wreak stood in the middle of a stack of masks, carefully sifting through it when he heard the King of Suits behind him. Whirling around, he glared at the lean man, walking up to him and snapping "Do not presume to understand the ways of the New Breed, relic! You shall be swept aside like all the others!" energy trails shaped as spirals began to unravel from his arms and legs, and his eyes began to glow "Desist, and begone or prepare to learn the new law of the modern jungle. You'll get no answers from me!"

Archetype stood in the middle of the herd, sphere gradually growing around her and the antelopes, who at first sight of it began to get skittish, edging away from it as it slowly began to encompass them. "Make sure none of those things stay outside the field, I don't want any of them left over."

Bristling at the scornful words, the King of Suits glared up at the much stronger-looking man, stepping forward and planting himself directly before the looming Wreak. 'Why on Earth are all the 'we're the next stage in evolution!' people so...evil?'

Eyes burning holes in the head of his adversary he said "People much stronger than you have challenged me, Wreak. And they didn't need to hide behind animals and empty threats." stepping closer he added with a growl "And I not giving me answers won't keep me from wanting to fight you. I don't fear you at all, and so far you're acting like just another power-mad imbecile!" standing mere feet from the towering man he carefully steeled his limbs and kept his face entirely fixed in an expression of defiance and contempt.

Of course, the fact that he was standing considerably too close to a man with unknown powers and abilities beyond the reach of the great majority of mortals meant that was something of a struggle.

GM

There was a perilous silence before Wreak's glower gave way to a look of deep caution, and he stepped backwards a few steps, accidentally crushing an old playbook under his foot. Clearing his throat he said coldly "I and Archetype are only two of a new race that will soon supplant humanity. Our ancestors come from what this weak and degenerate race call the Lost World, where man lives and battles eternally with monsters such that but haunt the dreams of your kind. The powers granted to us, a mark of our destiny, come from no lesser source than a spring that was drunk from by our clan eons ago, and has granted us long life and great strength! But the ancestors of that fool Zandar drove us from our home using allies from this world and deception, cheating us from our birthright to rule the saurian-infested lands! We have dwelt in Africa for the last two hundred years, and now rise to take our prize: the entire planet of Earth!" he eyed the man in front of him warily, the symbols on his costume ceasing their glowing and receding into the spandex. In a low voice he added "The last thing we need, and the reason I and my sister are here is an ancient mask of terrible power. The animals we control? They are our natural servants, and we do not have to sully ourselves with such slave-work as this!" he proclaimed, gesturing to the rather disrupted shelves and scattered merchandise. "Stand down, and we shall let you live."

Philos assumed a lower posture, edging around the animals with a soothing tone of voice. He was making himself small, moving slowly with a sort of rhythm that matched their own movements and going around pushing back any stragglers but moving in front of them and steering them back to the safety of their herd. We was glad they were not paniking, but they were anything but calm. Something like a gunshot, or breaking glass, heck the sound of an engine revving could set them off. He gestured to the woman named Archetype that they were all there. Hopefully they wouldn't be too startled when they were moved, though even if they were, hopefully the space was open and clear so that they had a place to run too that would at least be safe.

GM

With a strange sound like clashing cymbals the translucent sphere wrapped fully around the herd, the powerful antelopes shuffling and wide-eyed but kept mostly still and quiet by the gentle movements and reassuring sounds Philos made. A jolt ran through the air, for a moment Philos felt a blast of heat around himself and saw a dry forest filled with low trees, and then the antelopes were gone, and he was back in Freedom City with a pileup of cars in the street nearby, a distant wail of sirens and a woman dusting off the seat of her costume, wrinkling her nose at the smell that still lingered from the animals.

Smiling at the young Farsider she said cheerfully "Thanks! Now I should really get back to Wreak, he might do something ill-advised. Don't worry, we brought only a few such servants with us, and those sable beasts were the largest of that number." she said hurriedly, not quite looking him in the eye as she waved and began to walk rapidly back to the shop. "Good day!"

Philos let out a sigh of relief as the animals left sight. She watched the woman go for a few seconds before the meaning of the words hit him, and he took a few steps. The difference in height certainly helped because he was soon at the lady called Archetypes side,

"I could not help but notice, you just said they were the largest. You would not happen to have more with you, I don't see how any other animals you currently have should retrieve any different treatment. Would it be wrong to assume they are not naturally occuring or adapted to the city. Or would I be wrong to speculate that they were like the antelopes, from a great distance away, and likely not at all wanting to be here. It seems to me that it would put us at an impass if this were the case. After all, even predators should not be forced into situations like this, especially with humans involved, they may get hurt either by native populations, by the unfamiliar terrain. Surely there is no need to put them at such risk."

Listening to Wreak's story with visible disbelief, the King of Suits nonetheless stepped back in his turn, flicking his red and black cape out of the way of a rather sharp mass of fallen stage swords. The sewing he had to do was already too much. Watching the self-named 'New Breed' across the room he said, this time more gently "So, if I understand you rightly, you and your sister are part of those descended from rogue clan who want to rule the world for the sole reason that you have powers? That is a hard thing to sell here." he tucked his hands into his cape, folding the smooth material over them to disguise their movements/ Smiling politely under his cowl he went on "Wreak, let me tell you something: how many super-powered beings are there in this world, and how many do you think are stronger than you and your entire family put together?" he hurriedly raised a gloved hand from his side to forestall the answer "There are hundreds of people out there with at least some kind of power or unusual aptitude, and you've surely heard of people like Doktor Archeville, whose genius alone could defeat practically any foe you care to name. There are some people, Wreak" he said with complete sincerity "who could easily defeat most countries, and just in this city! Do you think your family could truly challenge that?"

He glanced outside at the crowd, listening for the sound of approaching sirens. 'I have to keep him occupied, just a little longer...' "Besides, why would you need a herd of antelopes to clear a shop? Slave work or no a few blasts and yells would have sufficed."

GM

"Well, it would take some cunning to evade them until the time is, right." Wreak argued, though he looked very unnerved by the vigilante's words all the same. Shaking his head he looked at the floor "I...I never thought about that. I am sure the elders would know how we shall rule though." he added, looking back up with a look of renewed confidence "And when we do, animals will be made to serve us they once did, rather than using men for such work! The antelopes were used because they are better heralds than shouts and energy blasts. And when Archetype gets back, I will show you what power we did not waste on those relics outside!" he declared with a smirk of triumph.

Archetype looked up and down the street, a note of urgency filtering into her voice "Well, it's just a few chimps, a gorilla and a buffalo. Uh..." she glanced furtively up at Philos "...there might be more than one buffalo."

"They're a few streets north, waiting in a truck to be unleashed on the relics of the past, you see. My mother was quite firm about bringing along more muscle in case we had to fight." she explained sheepishly.

"I do not think I agree terribly with your mother. It seems that fighting seems to be the intent of bringing all these animals here, and it is not fair to them. However should it seem that they provide any viable threat, there will be a reaction and several people will be sent to deal with it. In fact, there is a whole council of people rather adept at it being the cities name. At the end of the day, it just means a bunch of animals that otherwise had no interest in this would end of being hurt."

Philos glanced over towards the shop the one called Wreck was,

"Is there anything else you would like to share with me? I would really not like this to get violent, but the moment any of the local populations heroes becomes involved there may not be any choice."

"In that case, Wreak, what will you do when the others come?" the King of Suits asks mildly, a note of fear in his heart all the same "I do not doubt that you could break me easily, but then you're a dangerous murderer. What will you do when the Freedom League, the Interceptors and everyone else comes for you? Can you fight them all? Because if you kill one of us, that is what you bring down on your head." Marceau said it all in a vicious tone, as if he dared the man to carry out his threat.

At least if he does try something, I can manage to slow him down.

"Instead, how about you bring me to Archetype, and we can make sure this is settled before you two do something truly foolish?"

GM

This was clearly something that the so-called New Breed didn't teach its children how to deal with. Taken aback by the threat, Wreak looked deeply nervous as he gazed down at the smaller man. When he replied, it was with an undercurrent of fear "I...alright, fine. Follow me." the bulky man quickly led the way out the door, heading down the street and glancing at the crowd with a distracted irritation as they cheered, anticipating that the man had surrendered to justice, and that the threat was past. "When my clan rules" he muttered "we will-wait, what?!" he exclaimed as he saw Archetype walking up with Philos beside her. She waved quietly.

Pointing at the towering youth Wreak spluttered "But-! I-! You...why didn't you burn him, Arch?" "Because if I do, then we'll have a heck of a time getting those animals back home" she explained wearily. Wreak's visible face darkened even more, and he grated "....FINE!" he shouted angrily "We'll just throw in the towel now, right after we begin! Truly this is a great day for the New Breed." he slunk into line behind Philos, giving him a prodigious stink-eye "Lead on, you know where the animals are anyway." "Sure. One moment." Archetype answered brightly, holding up one hand and surrounding the small band in the same Sending Sphere from before, and the quartet vanished in a flare of light!

They appeared in a parking lot nearby, next to a trio of freight trucks. Archetype rubbed her hands, muttering "Okay, now which one was which..." she glanced at Philos "Get ready, those buffalo are pretty angry by now. Also, hi Cardman!" she added brightly to the King of Suits.

GM

From the freight trucks a raucous storm of bellowing, thunderous lowing and the high-pitched shrieks and whoops of agitated monkeys resounded. The leftwards truck was dented in several places with the imprint of horns on the walls, and occasionally shook at the steps of the buffalo inside. The lighter but much more numerous and quicker-footed rattles of chimps pattered out of the middle truck, punctuated with the sounds of wet thuds and a sudden, piercing scream. The rightward truck was eerily silent.

Several Freedonians had already gathered nearby, and gave the supervillains and their two traveling companions deeply unfavorable looks. The sounds of disapproving mutters filtered through the air.

"Right then,"

Philos kept his back straight and walked over in stride to the one containing the monkeys, he opened the doors and jumped up onto the cage and said,

"Enough,"

His voice was flat but held authority, he held his full height over the monkeys. The antelopes were creatures that needed to be handled gently, but these were primates, they needed to know who was in charge. He met a couple of blinking faces and moved forward giving his stride purpose,

"Outside, and stay quiet. We're taking you home."

He pointed out and they took a few seconds before they complied, a bit less noisy then before as they occasionally glanced at the farsider. He brought up the back and led them around before he caught sight of a bull getting free from it's confined. Striding over he caught over standing in front of it and staring it down,

"Calm down, there's no one here to hurt you."

GM

The chimps were by now thoroughly befouled, and as they ambled or slunk out of the truck the two supervillains politely stepped back to give them some much-needed space. As they passed Philos the Farsider could have sworn they looked up at him in awe.

The bull buffalo was also taken slightly aback by the sudden appearance of the towering man with the bizarre smell, staring with belligerent stupidity before it began to dawn on the beast that it was being asked to be at ease, and told that it was not in danger. Its ears drooped and it strode by the young man without a sound beside the tramp of its hooves as the heavy body swayed out of the metal box. The slightly smaller cow behind it, however, proved much harder to convince, stepping carefully backwards and dropping its head, just a little. She fixed her eyes on the mystifying creature before her, and weighed her chances if she charged. "I can just Send it and her mate back with part of the truck." Archetype offered casually, flicking aside one of the monkeys that strayed too close to her and Wreak.

"I would strongly urge you not to, miss" 'Cardman' said with a slight note of irritation, looking at Archetype out of the corner of his right eye. "If you simply drop a group of animals and a portion of a truck out in the middle of Africa, I would imagine that might not help with making your actions less noticeable. Besides," he added, stepping a little forward to squint into the darkness at what was inside the last truck, raising his eyebrows at the sight of the massive buffalo crouching in front of Philos. "Excuse me, monsieur! King of Suits at your service." he called in softly in a carrying voice "Do you require any assistance?" a King of Hearts card twirled between the fingers of his left hand in a dizzying flash of red and white.

'He seems quite competent enough, but you never can be too careful.'

• 2 weeks later...

"Crowd control,"

He turned towards the hero,

"Sorry if that sounds rude, phrasing here. Yes, go see that no one tries any loud noises, sudden movements, starts to edge forward, make any flashes with the clicking things, the ummm,"

He took a few seconds,

"Photographers, yes, all that needs to stay far away while these animals are being kept together. They are very uncomfortable, as would anybody be so different a place from their homes. Also, do keep an eye for the parentals of those two. They are very much the brains to this and I'm sure they'll likely be making an appearance when they find their offsprings much more sound mind then themselves. Either way, please step back, these creatures don't need any more strangely dressed bipeds loaming over them and I do enough loaming for three people surely."

"if that is rudeness, I look forward to your politeness!" Marceau laughed with a grin of pearly teeth, nodding gracefully as he slid the card back into its holster "Very well, none shall come too close to you and these poor immigrants."

So saying, he gestured to the pair of would-be villains and definite vandals and animal-thieves 'How would that be prosecuted, I wonder?', calling out quietly "Follow me, please, it would make our animal handler friend's life a little difficult if people got too close to...them" he waved a vague hand at the buffalo and crowd of chimps "Wreak, you stand at that end, Archetype, take the other. I will be in the middle. Intercept anyone who tries to get within...say, this parking lot. We don't want another animal riot on our hands!"

He hoped fervently that they wouldn't get bored too soon, hiding his worry behind his beaming smile.

GM

The super-powered siblings weren't too thrilled at the concept of being Philotherian and the King of Suit's attendants, but they saw the reason in it well enough and hastened to take their posts at the edges of the lot. Wreak did by far the most of the damage, staring curious Freedonians coldly down and treating their polite questions with silence and disdain. Most of those who tried to come in from his end of the dirty parking area went of their own accord, only a few having to be tersely ordered from the place. Nobody had to be told twice when the imposing man spoke. Archetype,by contrasts, was happy to engage passers-by when they asked such things as "Who are you and why are there a bunch of chimps and oh my goodness is that a buffalo?" or "Are you all superheroes?" or "Should I...call the police?", soon gathering a small gaggle of citizens nearby her who kept a respectful distance after she gave a particularly visceral and gleeful description of what African buffalos did when they fought. The noise from the chimpanzees did its part as well, an omnipresent racket that did nothing to quell the mood of the female quadruped glaring Philos down, her tail flicking irritably at the swarm of flies that had started to trickle in upon smelling what the chimps had left behind.

It had been stifling in the container, but at least it had been warm and held some smells from her native country. This new freshness and chill brought with it a wave of stenches she had never before even dreamed of, and confinement next to a pack of monkeys would make anyone cross and suspicious. She gave a low rumble of anger, her horned head peering up at the lofty stranger.