Roughin' It (IC)

He had nothing to add to what had happened, they hadn't really been speaking in hushed tones, and he could, but there was no point in making a note of this to them, either he just was working on the cooking mutely. Whereas Mr. Landis had been working on a rig to tie the food stuffs up in a tree, in case of bears. Though it was too late in the season and Wharton wasn't known to have an abundance of them, at least as far as Elias knew. Wiki was strangely empty on this.

Though he could feel the upwelling of emotions and Tona's hurried steps carrying her away.

"Yes, I know how to cook them. Also, Subito I have Sriracha, it's in that blue bag over by my tent." He moved to the other supplies and he grabbed up the skewers and pierced the bodies of the squirrels, and then setting them on the fire. "Food it almost done." He had added the greenbeans as well as some broccoli and teriyaki sauce that Mr. Landis had brought.

"Before you two go to chide to Subito about his attempt at helping..." Said as he kept up the stirring, adding some more oil then to help prevent the noodles from sticking. "I would ask you don't. Please." He had tried hard to not know what was happening, but giving the events that played out, and the huffy words that Subito kind of bellowed, he knew how it happened.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For obvious reasons Subito thought his 'sorry' was all that needed to be said then. 'Won't do any good to go and be all "Hey, I'm sorry for that thing I just did". Give her some space. Chances are she'll take it as well as Galanta does and just smack me a bit-' his thoughts were interrupted by Samantha doing just that.

Wincing at the hat swat, the stocky boy said impatiently to Elias "El? Not your problem, don't make the same idiot mistake I just did. What kinda exemplar are ya?" he asked with a rueful grin, rubbing at his scalp. Sighing in irritation he called after Sam "I really am sorry 'bout that! Probably won't happen again." he added under his breath, smiling thinly at Cerys as he dug out the bottle of Sriracha from the bag next to Elias' tent, carefully smelling the aroma from around the cap, his smile deepening at once. Looking almost cheerful he gently set it aside for the meal, getting to his feet and dusting his knees off. He was humming now.

Turning in much better spirits to the Welsh agent he said briskly, and with a residual defiance "So...how sorry do I need to be here?"

Tona cut away from the group, moving through the forest with an easy, unconscious grace, turning sideways to slip through bushes while barely turning a leaf and stepping over patches of thick bracken without ever being truly aware of what she was doing. In fact her conscious mind was all tied up in the conversation she'd just had.

Tona had always assumed that she would go back home after learning things at Claremont, that she would eventually travel back to the Terminus and... and do something, make things better for her world and her people. She wasn't sure if it was possible to rescue a world that was already in the Terminus, but if Omega had been killed than anything seemed possible! Maybe even to shut down the Doom Coil and undo all the terrible fates of the Terminus and its victims!

She found herself facing a wide-boled willow tree and she started climbing it automatically. But now Sam wanted to come with her, and Cerys and probably Mali once she found out about it. And maybe even Subito, though his nosiness hadn't done anything to endear him to her. Sam had only briefly talked about her world but it hadn't sounded nearly as terrible as Tona's home, and she was certain that neither Cerys nor Mali had ever experienced anything like the Terminus.

Tona reached the crown of the tree and wedged herself between two branches, looking back towards the campsite. In the deepening dark it glowed in the firelight, a beacon of light and warmth in a night that would quickly grow very dark. She leaned back against the wood and felt something poking her in the butt; she pulled it out and was surprised that she still had her skinning knife on her! If she had spaced out on that, her mind must be more preoccupied than she realized. She wiped the blade clean on her pants-leg and worked at the pommel, twisting it around and sliding it off to reveal a concealed honing knife. She went to work on the blade, grateful for any physical activity to keep her hands busy while she thought.

• 2 weeks later...

He looked up at the stocky teen, and lifted his brows as he regarded him. "I am not an exemplar." And then his voice raised, to make sure all but Tona could hear. "However, an awkward silence because people are upset while we eat is not enjoyable and it is louder than you'd think. It's done, by the way." As usual he said it in his monotone fashion, and he shifted the squirrel to be higher so as to remain heated by the heat of the fire, but not really still cooking. This was done before using a poker to knock the logs down a little bit, so that the flames weren't as high as before, and he stuck a wood serving spoon in the wok.

He thought about going after Tona, and after a few moments... "I didn't spice it up. If you want it spicy, Subito has it." And he stepped away then, opening the bag of paper platers and plastic cutlery, and taking some plates for himself.

"Thank you Elias," Mr. Landis said, trying to cut into the already awkward, which Elias had artlessly tried to handle. Of course Elias responded with a grunt of acknowledgement, before slipping off after Tona having put the squirrels in the plates and folded them over. He had no intention of building a bridge of understanding, he was just going to get her to eat.

Blodeuwedd looked Subito squarely in the eye, a scowl on her face. In her brief career as a hero she had managed to intimidate thugs twice her size and age. But somehow she’d never been able to apply her skill to the students of Claremont, and especially not Subito.

“Just make sure you apologize to Tona when she gets back.â€

Breaking away she went back to her spot, as far away from Subito as she could. Without another word she went back to her book, despite her general demeanour she wasn't one to brood on such things. Unless he said anything more stupid than before she considered the matter closed, though right now she wasn't inclined to talk to anyone.

For a moment Subito tensed, opened his mouth to say something choice...and then closed it. He looked glumly at Blodeuwedd and nodded once. He said quietly "I will. Soon as she gets back...dunno if it will do any good." he muttered.

He helped get them set up to eat the sizzling stir fry, and watched Elias carry the squirrels to Tona, wondering vaguely 'Wonder if she'll come back right after this- She's thicker-skinned than you. Have no fear'.

Sam watches Elias go, and decides not to stop him. She trusts his apparent lack of interest in other humans to help him stick to treating this like just an errand. She looks about the camp. Cerys is absorbed in her book, and she doesn't particularly feel like making small talk with Subito or Mr. Landis, so she lets the awkward silence simmer and instead turns her attention to the food. For certain definitions of food.

She pokes at the dead hunk of rodent on her plate. Cuts off a piece, sniffs at it. It doesn't seem like a horror among horrors. So, she takes a bite of green beans. Then she prods at the squirrel some more, mustering her courage to... take a bite of green beans.

This is not going well.

The blade scraping over the stone and the branches rattling in the wind were the only sounds at the top of the world, where Tona sat. She truly did not want to bring her friends into the Terminus but they seemed bound and determined to go, and it would be better to move and act as a group than as lone individuals. That's not to say that Tona expected it to be easy if she went on her own, but it was her danger. She was prepared for it -- heck, sometimes it felt as if her entire life was preparing her for it! Not to mention her time at Claremont, because why else would she be at the school if not to prepare for going back to her world?

Her thoughts turned to wander down that path a bit. Claremont was a place to train and prepare for the real world, for those who felt like they'd one day have to save it. That was essentially what Tona was trying to do, to save an entire world from the worst fate imaginable. She didn't understand exactly how she was going to, but she had experience with the notion. Why couldn't she design some tests, spend some time in the Doom Room, and at least try to give her friends an idea of what they were in for? It would be tough, and she wasn't exactly sure what kind of limits a Doom Room simulation would have, but it was at least a place to start.

She fitted her knife back together and slipped it into its sheath, then climbed down the tree. She turned to go back to the campsite, and suddenly there was Elias. Tona was startled and almost took a swing at him, but after a second she calmed down. "Elias. Merde. I didn't notice you there."

"Mm, you're not the only one comfortable out here, ya." He held up the paper plate wrapped bundle of squirrels she had caught earlier. "You should eat. They let me come to you because they didn't expect me to talk to you about things. Well Sam let me." And then he extended his arms to her. "Please eat, ya. We have more food back at camp."

And then he looked at her, with a note of kindness. "I understand." And he meant it, it came with a measure of sincerity that was surprising. And that was it, nothing else was said, nothing else asked. "C'mon, ya. I have hot sauce back at camp. Tastes good on squirrel."

Tona took the bit of squirrel and bit into it, tearing off a chunk and chewing it slowly, before swallowing. "Merci," she said quietly. She wasn't entirely sure what Elias's words meant, but she didn't feel like getting into a yelling match out here in the woods with him over eavesdropping. "It's pretty good squirrel," she said, starting to walk back to camp. "I don't think you even need hot sauce for it."

Tona walked slowly, taking time to finish all the squirrel before she stepped back into the camp. She took a seat next to Sam, carefully not looking directly at her. "So. Um. If you really want to go with me, you can. But it's going to be really hard work."

By the time Tona gets back, Sam has finished her vegetables like a good girl, and is staring down the squirrel. Truly, it is a standoff worthy of legend.

Thankfully, Tona comes back calmer, providing a welcome distraction from the tree rat. "I know work," she answers. "A decade in The Trade will teach you that much." 'The Trade' is what she usually calls her former job as a thief, both as the Phantom Fox's apprentice and on Dis before, though she rarely speaks of it quite so directly. "I've been up against very dangerous people and worse before, people who could kill me, who wouldn't hesitate if they caught me, and I've come out on top, or at least managed to escape. I know how to go up against things out of my league and live. And you don't know many people who can give you a faster, safer escape route."

With a mutter Subito tossed the sriracha sauce bottle next to Sam, the bright bottle landing perfectly on its bottom beside her. "Try a little bit with each bite. Gives it better flavoring. Just a little, not even enough to cover a third o' the squirrel bit, or it'll get pretty much uneatable." Taking a bite out the stir-fry he chewed it for a few seconds, then swallowed silently and glanced at Tona.

"Tona, I'm sorry for what I said. It really was none of my business, and I'll quit bargin' into other people's conversations just 'cause I hear 'em. Will you forgive me?" 'Heh! Not that I ever did that before, but there's a first time to screw up for everything, eh El?'

The muscular boy seemed to recall something 'Also, I seriously doubt that'll get forgotten any time soon I would not be so sure' and called over to the young Welsh agent "Hey, Cerys! What should we do tomorrow? I can't think of anythin' that'll properly get us in the camping spirit!" his cheerful smile abruptly vanished when he remembered their chaperone, to whom he added quickly "Uh, unless you already had something planned for us Mr Landis."

'I wonder if I could change places with...just about anyone else? They'd not be screwing up every five seconds "Alas, everything is not working out like I hoped it would, and I'm not looking good in front of my girlfriend! If only I could be removed from having to take responsibility for my actions like everyone else does" ...Why do you always have to have the better point? Fine, I'll drop it Good youth'

Bloduewedd had been picking at her food and just letting the conversation flow over her, at the moment she had little interest joining in with the others. She was content just to listen to everyone else.

She was glad when Tona decided to re-join them, with no small part to Elias’s, and final allow the possibility that Sam at least could help her.

Now wasn’t the time to ask if the invitation applied to her, she knew that Tona would tell her when she was ready. And she didn’t want to press the girl and possible upset her, she couldn’t imagine what it would be like to have Tona against her. Hopefully it would never happen.

Subito however had other idea’ and she was too well manner not to answer him.

“Well I’m sure that Mr Landis has some event’s planned out for us, though I was hoping to show Tona my skill with the Longbow. Maybe against a moving target, you’re hide is pretty impervious to projectiles isn’t it?â€

He was largely ambiguous when he said things, especially on that. Of course, he was the only telepath here, so accusing of eavesdropping was hilarious in and of itself. But then he could make some fairly good arguments over such a thing, but really it didn't matter in this scenario, as he was trying not to touch their thoughts, and he only knew that something upsetting had occurred and she had needed distance.

Once he returned he fixed himself a plate of the teriyaki, and then sat down near the fire and starting to eat mutely.

Mr. Landis plated himself up food last. "Well, seeing as how a good bit of you have some exposure to the outdoors I can save some of the lessons. But I did bring a target in case you wanted to shoot your bows." He smiled amiably at the kids before digging into his plate of food.

Tona reached over and grabbed Sam's arm, squeezing it. "That's the problem," she said softly. "There usually isn't a way to escape."

She half-smiled at Cerys's suggestion, picking up her bow and strumming in the string lightly. "I think Mr. Landis would frown on us shooting arrows at each other," she said, "but we could tell stories around the fire. We used to do that a lot at home, at night."

“At least with the target’s you’ll get to try a genuine Welsh Longbow, the finest self bow ever designedâ€

She’d bought her old bow back with her the last time she had been back to Wales. She didn’t take it with her on patrol as it was difficult to use correctly in dense urban environments. She did lie to keep her eye in with the bow whenever she had the chance however.

Blodeuwedd put down her book, though some of the stories seemed suitable for a fireside story.

“Well you’re in luck the Celt’s are renowned for their stories and I know all of the classics. All of the tales of the Welsh heroes. Or if we must those of Ireland or the Arthurian tales. †her voice contained more passion and enthusiasm than it normally did.

“Well I’m sure that Mr Landis has some event’s planned out for us, though I was hoping to show Tona my skill with the Longbow. Maybe against a moving target, you’re hide is pretty impervious to projectiles isn’t it?â€

'Damn.' Subito looked apologetically at Cerys. "I didn't mean...sorry." he kept quiet for a bit longer, nodding to Mr. Landis when he outlined what he had taken along. "I'm game if you ladies want a moving target. Though now that I think 'bout it, Elias is pretty good at dodging too." he commented with a cheerful grin.

“Well you’re in luck the Celt’s are renowned for their stories and I know all of the classics. All of the tales of the Welsh heroes. Or if we must those of Ireland or the Arthurian tales. †her voice contained more passion and enthusiasm than it normally did.

The stocky boy suddenly perked up, eyes alight with excitement. "You mean it, Blodeu? You're gonna get your bard on?" he asked, looking almost comically gleeful at the idea of Cerys telling campfire stories from ages past. "What kind of stories do you know, Tona?" he asked the uncanny archer with great curiosity, then he brightened and added "If you guys want, I could dig up some of the seriously old stuff the Blue Dame has in her memory, some of it's pretty good campfire material."

Tona's eyes lit up at the mention of a Welsh longbow. "My... my father used a Welsh selfbow," she said. She licked her lips in anticipation. "I was never tall enough to draw it properly before I left, and the composite bow is much more utile in the city. I don't suppose you could let me try a few shots?" And then the topic of stories came up and she sat back, drawing into herself. She couldn't very well tell war stories of fighting the Treminus, and her father had been an escape artist before becoming a guerilla leader. But her mother... Tona sat up again. "I could tell you stories about cases my mother fought, in court."

Sam never believe in the no escape scenario. There's always a way out, if you can find it, and she can cross cities and states in a matter of seconds, as long as there are shadows between. That's sure to get them somewhere they can regroup if they go far enough.

But she doesn't bring that up. Tona would disagree, and the argument wouldn't solve anything. The point remains; Sam is going. And there are plenty of good distractions lining up to take her girlfriend's mind off things.

"I've never shot a bow before," she volunteers. "But I think I can shake out a decent story or two." She opts not to tell Tona that legal stories are less-than-traditional in this world. Besides, sounds weird. Weird is good. Usually more interesting.

“I’d be happy for anyone to try out the longbow, but it was built for my height and pull strength so some of you will have to careful with it.â€

She’d listen as each of them told there idea’s for the kind of stories they’d like to tell, as she did an idea sprung to mind. A very old idea as it happened to be.

“There’s an ancient bardic tradition where everyone tell their best tale to audience. Then the audience gets to decide whose story was told best. The winner would receive a prize, for traditional Eisteddfor it’d s chair but that might not work here. Maybe we could do something like that?â€

And Elias arched a brow as he looked at Subito's reaction. "Do you really want to encourage people to shoot arrows at someone who will remember you volunteered him for the rest of his life? You are praying I am not a petty person. Which is not wise, I am a teenager." In that dry tone of his, it was so hard to say what he was meaning, or intending to convey.

He shrugged and added his paper plates to the fire. "I don't have any stories that suitable for anyone to listen to. Stuff about being on the run, stuff my Uncle told me. Nothing entertaining. And no one hear wants to hear about New Freedom."

"Aw, c'mon El, I know you'll take it all in stride. And only kind of get back at me." Subito replied blandly. Stirring the fire a little, he smiled hopefully at the other potential story-tellers, declaring "Okay! So, unless Elias tosses some awesome story outta his skull, he can be the neutral and impartial judge." Siting up on his haunches he leaned his upper body on his knees. The stocky boy added to Cerys, deciding it was time to shake up his nickname repertoire "That's a kick-awesome idea, 'princess'! I bet we could make a chair! It could be a good camping thing to do, right Mr. Landis?" he looked brightly at their chaperone before returning to the other students, the flickering campfire casting crazy shadows and flares of light across the small party.

"So! How we wanna do this, order of name, whoever wants to go first, or what? 'Cause I got a great one," he laughed cheerfully "but I'm seriously curious what kinda stories Sam and Tona wanna tell."

Tona cleared her throat. "Actually, I'd like to hear stories about growing up in New Freedom." She looked at the others around the firelight and shrugged. "There were any superpowers around where I grew up. I want to hear what's it's like growing up where everyone has them." That wasn't technically true. There had been plenty of superpowers in the Terminus, but most of them had been on the side of the Annhilists and Omega. Tona's own mother had been more than human, but Tona had only had a few years to appreciate that before she died.

He grunted softly then, shrugging a little at Tona's words. "Orwell said it best. 'Imagine a boot stomping a human face... forever.'" As he spoke the line, his diction, his accent changed for a moment.

He stared at the fire, his attention shifting then, and he shrugged again. "I can't speak how it was before me, or how whether it is different now... I can't compare this to others lives, or say something is worse or better. I can state what was for me. How I know it, feel about it, and understand it."

"Grey. Grey and orderly. If you have powers you are allowed to remain with your parents, provided they have powers. Otherwise you taken to the creche. They don't say you are better because you can do something normal people cannot. But sometimes words aren't needed. You live to serve the state, because that is the only thing keeping the tyranny of others at bay. But you aren't special, even if it is implied you are better than those without abilities. You still need to state to provide, to protect, to prosper, and because you need it, you must uphold it. They are watching. They care. Don't you care?" At some point whatever spark he does have in his voice just gutters out, like a cold wind blew it out. The narrative was twisting some something else, and he became disassociated from it. Or wrapped up in it.

"This is the way. It is better this way. Better for you. For everyone. They don't understand. They can't. They never will. They cannot care for those who are gifted. Their perspective is too limited, to focused on their ambitions and greed. It is your duty. Do your duty. If you fail others will suffer. You will make them suffer. Those who birthed you are not your family the State is your family. There is only mother. Only Beloved Mother. Only she sees and cares. It is from her that you get your strength, through her is your redemption and your freedom. She is our Leader. Our salvation. We will not be chained by little people. Strikes to the main torso need only six inches of penetration with blade objects to inflict lethal wounds. It is then recommended that one exercises control, running someone through with weapon will cause problems from that point as musculature and bone structures can cause the weapon to be dislodged only with difficult, reducing efficiency when dispatching multiple targets. But piercing wounds are preferred for quick dispatch. Recommendation is to use small, discrete bladed weapons where possible. Proper enhanced interrogation techniques should never focus on inflicting physical harm, pain causes loss of faculties, inability to keep information organized coherently. Fear is more effective. Most outsiders do not have understanding of the true Care that only Mother can provide, and has done so to ensure you do not feel fear. Use it. Emphasizing that fear is no an actual thing, but what the subject's minds conjures allows for exploitation. The op in Namibia was a failure, we were unable to secure..."

And then Elias shut up. Just snapped his mouth closed, and he stood up.  There was a slight tremor in him, as he composed himself, tried to organize a tidal wave of emotions, thoughts, memories, uncertain which ones were his own anymore as he stared into the fire.  It was enough that there was a strain, a push from his powers, one that he strangled to nothing.  After a few moments he spoke, softly, though his voice carried. 

"We exist at the desire of Mother Harper. Those with abilities are useful, and given some measure of benefits, provided we use our abilities to benefit Mother Harper, and New Freedom. If you are not a useful tool, and cannot be made useful then we as discarded. Her boot stomping on our faces... forever. No hope, as it is not as sure as her love, as long as we do not test her benevolence. Now... imagine you were born with the ability to feel the thoughts and emotions of others. Now imagine that you cannot forget what you feel. That separating all those moments from yours... is difficult. That you can see their lie, but also believe in it completely. Hear the whispers of the secret police. Know the training that comes later, when it is time. Time for you to be a soldier for them, to sell yourself for the kind of people who would pay for someone who can poison others with a touch, or takes delight in making people shoot themselves in the temple, always the left, because he is left handed. Now... I try to explain it to you. When I cannot distance myself from it, find myself in it. There is no hope, and without hope there is no fear."

Frowning and shaking his head as he moved from them then. "I should have not spoken. I am sorry, please, tell your stories. Mr. Landis likes them. He'll be a better judge. I don't know any good ones."  He melted away, using his powers to obscure himself.

Edited by TheAbsurdist

"El, I'm not gonna start telling you off for not knowing any better stories" Subito said with a faint smile to the reserved boy "But dude? Read a book, like, for fun! I never see you in the library or at the bookstores we go to unless it's for a class assignment, and that just ain't right!" Adjusting his powerful legs crossed under himself, Subito grinned "Hey! You could use some free time to go and look for shows you might like, some of them are really good! Like that Next Gen animated one, or the bazillion TV series about the Atom Family. Steer clear of 'Atom Legends' though, that one sucks." a shrug of his broad shoulders "Anyway, a story..."

Leaning far back and supporting himself on his arms, his hazel eyes grew suddenly bright and he looked at the others around the fire with an enthusiastic look. "I know! I'll tell you about the time the Taino beat down the Vejigante for good!"

Leaning forward he began at once "Centuries ago, before the church of the Sacred Family was even begun, the Vejigante roamed the Earth! They were a monstrous race of horned giants, who served Satan in exchange for power and strength not seen anywhere in humanity, saving only the Master Mage himself. They had wandered for many eons despite their power, pushed by the servants of Islam out of Africa and into Spain, where with the arrival of James, a Saint of God, the Spaniards drove them into the Atlantic Ocean. However, the Vejigante had lost very few to such defeats. Nobody had ever managed to kill more than twenty of them, and they inflicted such a loss of life upon their enemies that nobody wished to try!"

The young paragon's eyes seemed almost to glow dimly in the firelight, and the teen went on excitedly "The giants soon arrived in the Caribbean, and their horned heads, colored robes, savage eyes and vast swords became a terror to the people of the islands! The Vejigante built a great altar and temple to both Satan and Juracán on a towering rock, carving their homes into the rocky shores and hewing down every tree that would not serve them, then went forward into the islands of the Caribs to burn, hack and pillage all that they could find, then go back to their home with taunts and sung jeers that were like venom into the wounds of their victims! The giants made massive fires on the shores of their island, and the smell of their roasting meats mingled with their songs in a bold affront to all, daring anyone to stop them!"

Now definitely glowing gold, Subito's eyes wandered around the campfire to the others "Their songs reached the ears of Yocahu the all-knowing, and he wished deeply that he could intervene and save his people, but..." suddenly he was on his feet "he could not! He was bound by God's law and the great Pact not to exercise his power on Earth, and so waited, knowing that soon champions would arise who would ask for his aid. He was not wrong. The Taino people of Puerto Rico heard the lamentations fo the other islands, even of their enemies the Caribs, and grieved in their hearts at such destruction and slaughter. The Blue Dame at last arose from Earth to ask for permission to lead them against the horned ones, and left with Yocahu's sanction ringing from the sky!"

By now a whirlwind of excited motion, the Hispanic boy went on "In those days the Taino were a peaceful people, but with the Blue Dame's fire burning in every heart, and her strong arms in every hand, they became as the fiercest! They sailed from the shores of Puerto Rico and soon arrived at that accursed and now lost island. The grim stones fluttered with the obscene standards of animals hides and bladders dried and stretched as decoration, trophies of their easy victories. With shouts of fury the people of the island sprang into the midst of the baffled Vejigante gathered to see their arrival, the giants never dreaming before the the blazing spears and arrows laid them low what wrath had come. The souls of the island blazed so brightly that all the others could see it, and heartened took up their arms against the brutish folks, coming as a great wave to follow the Taino, and the Blue Dame at the head of an army of horned animals, into the great battle! The weapons that had cut down the knights of Spain and Algiers were shriveled by the hot wrath of the islanders, and soon the wretched creatures had to grab bladders and fill them with rocks for weapons. They retreated slowly up the hills of their island, fighting to the last, until they reached the throne of their ruler. He was tall even by their standards, with curling horns that smoked with the flames of Hell, land of his birth. Satan and foul Juracán had granted his people their strength, and he had been promised never to die if he fought against a human." Subito halted mid-leap, falling onto his tip-toes, and looked at Sam for a moment with an expression no human could make, the glow suddenly beginning to fade from his eyes.

With a sudden and gentle smile, he sat back down and concluded "Knowing this, the Blue Dame herself stepped up to him, and challenged the king of the Vejigantes to a fight before his wrought and twisted throne. He laughed 'You are the very emblem of humanity! I will tear you to pieces with no need for arms! Let us fight anyway, that these wretches might taste despair' 'We shall see' the Blue Dame answered, and they fought. For all his bluster, the king was cunning, but the Dame had fought before he was ever born, and struck off his head with a mighty swing of her axe. The other guady ones stared, gibbered in fear and were then frozen as the islanders charged...only to be stopped by the Dame and the other spirits of the islands. 'They were once like you' they said 'See if they will be again' so the few who survived the battle were taken to El Yunque, and brought before Yocahu and God. Some repented and were changed into humans, but most held true to their evil ways and burned to ash. The islanders took the wealth that had been stolen back with them, a mighty feast was held to celebrate the victory, and to this day, at the Ponce Carnival, we dress up like the Vejigantes and swat people with bladders to remember that great day. The end!" Subito unnecessarily added, tossing himself backwards onto the grass and leaning up to grin at the others. "So! How did I do?" he asked eagerly "Was it awesome? I could tell you about the abolition of slavery too if ya guys want!".