Give us your worst . . .

Barnum

. . . injury story. :D

This came up in the chat tonight, so I thought I'd record it here. Tell us your worst pain/injury story.

Mine is pretty lame compared to the others. I got banged up a bit one time: mild concussion with a few stitches and a few bruises.

That's my worst pain/injury story. What's yours?

. . . injury story. :D

This came up in the chat tonight, so I thought I'd record it here. Tell us your worst pain/injury story.

Mine is pretty lame compared to the others. I got banged up a bit one time: mild concussion with a few stitches and a few bruises.

That's my worst pain/injury story. What's yours?

Alright, let's try to make this sound more painful than it was.

I was camping out at Philmont, and my crew was finishing up on drying their laundry. The girls had put some of their socks on the corrugated tin roof of one of the buildings, and they needed to get them down. Since I was the tallest guy there, I said, "I'll get them." So I jumped up and grabbed onto the side of the roof with my right hand and went to bat off the socks with my left hand.

For those of you who aren't aware of it, metal is sharp. I scraped off all but the last layer of skin on the middle knuckle of my right index finger, middle finger, and ring finger as I caught myself on the roof. To make things better, my left index finger caught on a bit of the roof that had come loose, cutting an inch-long cut right along the middle of the finger.

When I landed, I looked at my hands. The right hand didn't look that bad, until it realized "Wait, I have almost no skin there." The white layer of skin began seeping blood. Meanwhile, I needed to wipe the blood off my left hand to see it, and it looked pretty deep. That's when I made my third mistake, going to wash it off using the nearby purified water.

I had forgotten that the way they purified water was to put massive amounts of chlorine in it - enough that you could taste it, but not quite enough to make you throw up. I just smiled (grimaced?) and said, "Well, at least it's disinfected..."

Alright, let's try to make this sound more painful than it was.

I was camping out at Philmont, and my crew was finishing up on drying their laundry. The girls had put some of their socks on the corrugated tin roof of one of the buildings, and they needed to get them down. Since I was the tallest guy there, I said, "I'll get them." So I jumped up and grabbed onto the side of the roof with my right hand and went to bat off the socks with my left hand.

For those of you who aren't aware of it, metal is sharp. I scraped off all but the last layer of skin on the middle knuckle of my right index finger, middle finger, and ring finger as I caught myself on the roof. To make things better, my left index finger caught on a bit of the roof that had come loose, cutting an inch-long cut right along the middle of the finger.

When I landed, I looked at my hands. The right hand didn't look that bad, until it realized "Wait, I have almost no skin there." The white layer of skin began seeping blood. Meanwhile, I needed to wipe the blood off my left hand to see it, and it looked pretty deep. That's when I made my third mistake, going to wash it off using the nearby purified water.

I had forgotten that the way they purified water was to put massive amounts of chlorine in it - enough that you could taste it, but not quite enough to make you throw up. I just smiled (grimaced?) and said, "Well, at least it's disinfected..."

When I was eight years old, I was struck by a speeding car as I was crossing a bridge. The accident left me with a broken arm, a broken leg, second degree burns on one hand, a concussion, a kidney torn in half and major blood loss. I don't remember the accident at all; I just recall waking up in a hospital bed encased in a plastic tent, with tubes jutting out of my arm and torso. If my memory serves me right, I required one year of weekly rehab and check-ups until I fully recovered.

When I was eight years old, I was struck by a speeding car as I was crossing a bridge. The accident left me with a broken arm, a broken leg, second degree burns on one hand, a concussion, a kidney torn in half and major blood loss. I don't remember the accident at all; I just recall waking up in a hospital bed encased in a plastic tent, with tubes jutting out of my arm and torso. If my memory serves me right, I required one year of weekly rehab and check-ups until I fully recovered.

My worst is a tie between the time my appendix burst while in the 6th grade (had been inflamed for several months, local doc said the excruciating stomach pain was "just nerves")...

... and my first day back at school after my appendectomy, when I tripped and, in an attempt to catch myself to make sure I didn't fall on my incision*, wound up breaking my right wrist. (Fortunately I'm a lefty.)

(The guy in the hospital room down the hall from mine had it far worse, he'd been partially run over by a steamroller and over a third of his bones had been crushed.)

* Incision, not stitches: due to a combination of my excessive girth making it difficult to sew me up, and the need to drain out the toxins that had leaked out of my infected burst appendix, I was left open and they packed the wound with gauze which had to be changed daily. Luckily, my mom's a nurse, so she was more than capable of doing this at home.

My worst is a tie between the time my appendix burst while in the 6th grade (had been inflamed for several months, local doc said the excruciating stomach pain was "just nerves")...

... and my first day back at school after my appendectomy, when I tripped and, in an attempt to catch myself to make sure I didn't fall on my incision*, wound up breaking my right wrist. (Fortunately I'm a lefty.)

(The guy in the hospital room down the hall from mine had it far worse, he'd been partially run over by a steamroller and over a third of his bones had been crushed.)

* Incision, not stitches: due to a combination of my excessive girth making it difficult to sew me up, and the need to drain out the toxins that had leaked out of my infected burst appendix, I was left open and they packed the wound with gauze which had to be changed daily. Luckily, my mom's a nurse, so she was more than capable of doing this at home.

My worst was probably 5th grade when I chipped the bone in my elbow. I'd been sitting on the mailbox(cause I was small enough to do so at the time, and thought it was funny), got into an argument with my sister about April fools day pranks, she grabbed me, I fell and in essence elbow dropped concrete. Not a fun experience. Had to get an MRI for that one. Took forever, and this was back when you go fully inside the tube. Bright lights, banging noises, and you can't go to sleep, because you have to make sure the body part doesn't move out of where they put it. What may actually have been more painful then the break was the nurse having to wrench my arm around so they could take X-Rays.

I also broke my leg at 4, but I blacked out from that one, and snapped a tendon three years ago this month, which was really just a moment of blinding pain, and then as long as I kept it elevated, it was fine.

Still have scar tissue from slamming into my headboard one time. Don't remember how old I was then. Fairly young, I know that much. I'm just lucky I didn't need stitches, or have a concussion. At least, I don't think I did.

My worst was probably 5th grade when I chipped the bone in my elbow. I'd been sitting on the mailbox(cause I was small enough to do so at the time, and thought it was funny), got into an argument with my sister about April fools day pranks, she grabbed me, I fell and in essence elbow dropped concrete. Not a fun experience. Had to get an MRI for that one. Took forever, and this was back when you go fully inside the tube. Bright lights, banging noises, and you can't go to sleep, because you have to make sure the body part doesn't move out of where they put it. What may actually have been more painful then the break was the nurse having to wrench my arm around so they could take X-Rays.

I also broke my leg at 4, but I blacked out from that one, and snapped a tendon three years ago this month, which was really just a moment of blinding pain, and then as long as I kept it elevated, it was fine.

Still have scar tissue from slamming into my headboard one time. Don't remember how old I was then. Fairly young, I know that much. I'm just lucky I didn't need stitches, or have a concussion. At least, I don't think I did.

you are now officially the WORST storyteller

ever

i'd give you an award but since I can't post images, you'll just have to imagine that i am posting a really funny and mildly obscene image of some sort. I'm thinking a really large man in a thong, but whatever.

you are now officially the WORST storyteller

ever

i'd give you an award but since I can't post images, you'll just have to imagine that i am posting a really funny and mildly obscene image of some sort. I'm thinking a really large man in a thong, but whatever.

I was about 18 or so at the time. I was on my way home, and running to catch a bus. It had been raining, so the sidewalk was wet. The bus was across the street, and as my foot hit the edge of the curb to start crossing, I slipped and the edge of the curb slammed straight into my tailbone. It hurt like hell. And to make matters worse, it wasn't even my bus; it was headed for the garage.

Over the next few weeks, the area swoll up pretty badly, it hurt like hell all the time, it hurt to sit, it hurt to stand up, and I was extremely stiff. I didn't have insurance, and being 18 I wasn't that keen on going to a doctor anyway. So I just let it run it's course. Eventually whatever was swelling up drained (which was gross) and in time I recovered.

I was about 18 or so at the time. I was on my way home, and running to catch a bus. It had been raining, so the sidewalk was wet. The bus was across the street, and as my foot hit the edge of the curb to start crossing, I slipped and the edge of the curb slammed straight into my tailbone. It hurt like hell. And to make matters worse, it wasn't even my bus; it was headed for the garage.

Over the next few weeks, the area swoll up pretty badly, it hurt like hell all the time, it hurt to sit, it hurt to stand up, and I was extremely stiff. I didn't have insurance, and being 18 I wasn't that keen on going to a doctor anyway. So I just let it run it's course. Eventually whatever was swelling up drained (which was gross) and in time I recovered.

I would say that it was my broken arm when I was young, but I don't really remember how painful that was.

So I will say it was when I was in college and taking Tae Kwon Do. I fought in a round-robin full contact tournament. I was very sore at the end, but otherwise felt pretty good. When I woke up the next day, I could not sit up, and the left side of my torso was killing me. I could not lift a five pound weight with my left arm without excrutiating pain. It turned out I had twisted a rib. It took a couple of weeks to heal, during which I could not lie on my left side, and to get up from lying down I had to roll onto my stomach and push myself up (primarily with my right arm)

I would say that it was my broken arm when I was young, but I don't really remember how painful that was.

So I will say it was when I was in college and taking Tae Kwon Do. I fought in a round-robin full contact tournament. I was very sore at the end, but otherwise felt pretty good. When I woke up the next day, I could not sit up, and the left side of my torso was killing me. I could not lift a five pound weight with my left arm without excrutiating pain. It turned out I had twisted a rib. It took a couple of weeks to heal, during which I could not lie on my left side, and to get up from lying down I had to roll onto my stomach and push myself up (primarily with my right arm)

Mine isn't the most painful or even the worst injury so far, but I might win points for "most pathetic."

When I was 5, I was hit in the head so hard with a broomstick that I nearly lost my left eye. I'm still partially bind in that eye, but I have no memory of the event.

:|

Mine isn't the most painful or even the worst injury so far, but I might win points for "most pathetic."

When I was 5, I was hit in the head so hard with a broomstick that I nearly lost my left eye. I'm still partially bind in that eye, but I have no memory of the event.

:|