Among the Sea of Faces (IC)

TheAbsurdist

The strongly-built boy almost missed a step as he stared open-mouthed at the psychic boy, then exploded with laughter, managing to support himself only with Elias' help. His laugh gradually died away into hiccups of glee, and between gasps Subito said "El, El, seriously man that was just an example! I chose that 'cause you bein' a serial killer was the most unlikely thing I could imagine." Resting his head for a moment against the errant psionic's, he added "For a guy who can mind-read, a lotta stuff's still pretty opaque, huh? We should fix that!" Moving a little apart from Elias, the muscular teen suggested eagerly "We should go to a dance party sometime! Whaddaya think?"

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's not that unlikely.  I was born in New Freedom, and I left there at six to escape a sociopathic father, and my mother trends towards the sociopathic behavior as well.  That is discounting what I... learned while still in New Freedom.  That coupled with my telepathy would actually be indicative of me having picked up sociopathic traits and mindsets."  Said as he looked at Subito in a completely serious fashion.

"Emotional distancing is one of the hallmarks, as is being described as 'such a quiet guy'.  Also, is the touching a cultural thing?"  And after a few moments what subito asked registered.  "Those are for courtships I am... not interested in that."

"But you've spent so long touching peoples' minds, and you're so used to the flow of thoughts, wouldn't that make killing a lot harder?" His stocky schoolmate asked curiously "I mean," he went on with a frown that slightly mirrored Elias' "not sayin' it's impossible, but I can't even imagine that not being super-hard." He shrugged at the tangled matter "Meh, let's not get into an argument 'bout that, I'll take your word for it that you might be a stone-cold killer of dozens. And no, it's not a 'cultural thing', whatever that means." Loosening his arm around the other boy with a self-conscious jolt, he went on embarrassed  "And going to dance clubs isn't just for courtship stuff! It can be for havin' fun with some friends without any chasing after girls like some kinda creepy douchebag."

The well-built teen added defensively "Anyway, I like being around people, and bein' standoffish and not so much as hugging makes no sense to me. Also, we should probably have a direction for where we're goin'." he suggested, glancing around at the busy streets.

Edited by Arichamus

He shrugged a little bit.  "Of course, that is assuming I didn't feel anything when there were executions in New Freedom..."  He paused then, and trailed off.  And unlike the other times, where he was gathering words, he slowed to a standstill, and said nothing, he just stood there, mutely.  His eyes focused but not on anything visible.  He twisted then, needing a bit of space with an urge he had a hard time articulating.

• 2 weeks later...

Letting him go, Subito muttered "Sorry. I should stop talking." He waited for a while in silence, offering "Um...anything I can do to help? Shouldn't have talked about that." He didn't expect there would be much, especially because he hadn't much experience consoling people with deep scars.

'So. Any advice? Be quiet, gentle, and supportive. Be the kind of friend you would want right now Alright. I'll do my best I am sure you will'

He rocked slightly back and forth on his heels, hands clasped behind his back, the sturdy boy looking suddenly very young.

Edited by Arichamus
  • 3 weeks later...

There was silence, a pause long enough to make it awkward, and then he shrugged.  "You logically know of my past, to some degree.  That doesn't mean you understand, or that I can... share... adequately without distressing you.  It is not your fault that I can draw on memories as clear as current events."  His shoulders shrugged again, and he offered him a small smile.  "And if I share, and I am honest... then this wouldn't happen again..."  He gestured around them and he frowned a little.

No one likes someone who might be a well adjusted sociopath after all, he thought to himself.  Probably no accurate, but when all you can see are the differences...

"You don't need to feel bad, I don't.  It happened.  I cannot change that it did happen.  All I can do is try to explain my point of view, as I understand it is not something shared by many."

"I personally think 'abstractly' fits better'n 'logically'" commented his schoolmate, who trudged along quietly "But yeah, I get what you mean. Don't worry, I won't try to pry into your past or whatever. Wouldn't do any good to either of us I bet. Thanks for tellin' me though about you, El" he added with a quick, almost apologetic look "means a lot t'me. I can't really help but feel bad when I hear stuff like that happens to people, but I'll try! Can't promise anything though." the bulky Hispanic boy grinned.

Turning his attention back to the sidewalk in front of him, he hummed a snatch of ancient song to himself as he watched the sun dip lower and lower in the sky.

"On other issues, how d'you feel about stopping for a bite somewhere? I'm feeling kinda hungry after fighting that nanomachines guy, and I know a few of the guys 'round here! Like Gene's on the next corner, great sandwiches!" he declared, with a fond look at the memory of meals gone by.

He sighed a bit.  "It doesn't bother me... not in the way you think.  But fine."  He shrugged a bit and shifted then moving along with him, fine with the topic dropping off with what Subito said.

"Food is good, I would like some food."  He said it simply enough.  Though compared to most people in their school he ate like a bird.  He ate a lot, just not all at once.  He stopped moving and looked around, committing their surroundings to memory, especially if he was going to end up in here more often.  "Sandwiches sound good.  Let's have that."  Of course, he was also decidedly not picky, but then he had admitted to a childhood that didn't allow for finicky eating.

His stocky comrade laughed and patted him on the shoulder "Awww, I knew you cared El" smiling in relief at hearing his friend was hungry too, he led the way quickly over to the unassuming red brick and and wood diner with the sign blaring Gene's into the darkening afternoon. They entered into a subdued but persistent din as people from all over Southside dug into the hearty food and talked about their days, especially the recent super-fight just a few blocks down!

After a cheerful greeting to the impressively bald and dark Gene(introducing Elias as "A great pal of mine!") and catching up with a few friends, Subito got the pair of them a window seat overlooking the sidewalk. "Thanks Sally!" he said with a grin up at the young waitress as she dropped a stack of sandwiches onto their plates, getting a lingering smile as she replied "No need 'Bito, it's good to see you again and a friend of yours is ours too. Enjoy, boys!" she called over her shoulder.

"You're the best Sal!" Shouted The muscular Hispanic turned to the food, sniffed the air and whistled long and low "Gene hasn't lost his touch" he announced, selecting a beef, tomatoes and Gouda with great care. Taking a massive bite, he chewed with a reverent close of his eyes.

Suddenly his eyes opened and he smiled broadly "Whatcha think of the city so far, El? Pretty awesome, huh?" he asked around the sandwich.

• 5 weeks later...

Elias was a hard read, not that he was particular good at hiding his moods, but that he was still in 'recovery mode' after the little conflict.  Plus he was awkward, as teenagers were.  So he nodded and muttered out a thank you to the boisterous Gene, and Subito.  And he avoided eye contact, but then he tended to avoid it anyway, but that was because it was a sign of aggression.

Eating the sandwiches he nodded, he had worse manners than the larger teen.  His posture curled, and he glanced about him in a protective manner over the food.  "Better than Singapore, or Hong Kong, or Macau.  A lot better than Macau."

"Macau?" Subito echoed with a ham and Gouda sandwich paused in front of his mouth, looking quizzically over it at Elias for a few seconds before his eyes brightened "Oh yeah! That's in China, right? I've heard about that place, read about it for civics." He smiled a little "it isn't the kinda place everyone would like, but it sounds kinda like home to me." Taking a firm bite he chewed thoughtfully for a minute before swallowing "Well, now you're in Freedom City! Land of opportunity and stuff. Hopefully you'll find what you came here for El. If you ever need help, just ask and we'll be there for ya ina  second."

Relaxing against his seat he scanned the diner for a moment, savoring the sandwich held delicately between his powerful fingers.

"What do you think about bein' a-what we learn at school, El?"

Edited by Arichamus

"My mother's... business contacts meant until we made it here the places we stayed in were... less than savory.  We almost ended up in North Korea... but..."  He didn't really like to consider that thought, he knew what would have happened there.  As bad as New Freedom was, it was nothing compared to the generations of misplaced hero worship they had in North Korea.  His mind reeled from the possibility of what such a world would entail.  Shaking his head slowly. and he focused back on what Subito was saying.

"And what is that?"

The revelation that Elias and his mom had almost gone to Korea got a shocked look, and Subito was almost glad that the other boy hadn't quite caught his meaning.

Folding his arms and leaning them on the table with a grin, he explained as he took another massive bite out of the gently steaming, aromatic sandwich "What they teach us at Claremont, El! About good citizenship and altruism and stuff, and the world we live in n'how we can do good in it" he offered carefully, catching several curious and interested looks from the nearby diners when the word 'Claremont' was heard, and the rattle of cutlery paused ever so slightly in case they could glean a few crumbs about the mysterious and prestigious private academy.  Studiously ignoring them he went on breezily "See, I like the stuff they teach us there 'cause that's really all I've ever wanted t'do. I Like learnin' how to be useful, to do good in the world and help people, but I get the feelin' you wanna do somethin' else with all that trainin'. That about right?"

Elias' eyebrows rose then, and he looked at Subito with his startlingly light colored eyes.  He didn't look around, he didn't react, he was nonplussed by what Subito said.  Why shouldn't he be?  But then, here is where the stark difference between their lives up until they met shown through, plus Elias knew how people reacted, and by not making a scene or a reaction it would diminish the interest.  He resisted the urge to throw up his powers to cloak them, and to stop his normal checking of his six.

"Don't."  It was a simple statement, and Elias expression was flat as ever, a trait that earned him the nickname Spock among the other student.  There was a lot unsaid, but then there had to be, and not just because of the eavesdropping.

"Hm. Alright then." Subito shrugged, obviously Elias had a lot in common with Cerys, both liked to keep their secrets, riding the strange coils of mystery. 'It makes them all the more attractive, does it not Herald? 'I'm not even gonna say anything to that. This sandwich is too good for me to get mad'

Wiping his hands clean of the grease seeping through the porous bread, he took a long swig of water and closed his eyes, savoring the sensation. Opening one a crack he commented "How do you do that? Pack like three sentences into a word I mean."

Edited by Arichamus

Elias bit into his sandwich, eating it like a bird, a wary bird.  His eyes surveying his surroundings, checking his six occasionally between small sips and bites that he could get down quickly.  His manners were never the best, there was a feral bent to him, but from what he had said to Subito that was unsurprising.  Of course added together all the little pieces together that he let slip and the story was... certainly something.

"I cheat."  Elias was willing to let it stand at that, and then his eyes moved back to Subito, and then narrowed slightly.  Realizing that the answer was brusque, and could be taken poorly so he started to say something, then stopped and frowned.  "Kind of the best way to put.  There are some answers I can't give... or don't want to give, they are the same I guess.  And there are some answers you don't want."

Subito laughed reassuringly "Don't worry El, most of my classmates cheat somethin', 'Least you cheat at somethin' useful." Sipping at his water to wash down the sandwich, he leaned further back to let the meal settle better. The food at Gene's wasn't exactly going to cause problems, but he didn't want to show Elias around with a stomach-ache, and the other boy's much more energetic eating made him that much more conscious of his own.

"You make any friends El? When you and your mom were traveling?" he asked with a softer tone than he'd intended "I mean, I dunno, you never mention anybody. And I can't be the first guy to give you the time of day and take out to eat."

'Oh crap, am I starting to sound gay?  It is not important if you do. If so, I am sure he will not notice regardless Oh thank God That is perhaps not quite appropriate'

Edited by Arichamus

Another shrug at the question as he finished his sandwich, sucking at his fingers.  Not wanting to waste the grease, because it was fat, and fat was energy.  "Different experiences.  Tend to blurt things that make people uncomfortable.  Or am clammed up...  My 'uncle' he was one of my mom's nicer friends.  Still wanted by Interpol.  Taught me things.  I never stayed in towns often.  There was a concern my control would slip or hers would, and something would happen, and cities... are problematic.  Spent the last couple years mostly in the high desert in the northwest."

Elias was glossing over a lot of things, Subito would know it.  But then, they were surrounded by people.

Most of the nearby patrons turned back to their own food, some a little disappointed that the pair weren't more open with what was going on at the mysterious Claremont Academy. The Freedonians were nothing if not curious, especially after so many incredible things had cropped up under their very houses and streets.

"Huh. I can barely imagine growin' up like that, travelin' the world and never gettin' to make any friends no matter where I was." Subito admitted as he took a thoughtful bite, his teeth cutting through the crisp spinach and tangy pickles before meeting the softer and thicker resistance of the smoked ham that with an almost reluctant feeling gave way in a burst of spices and rich meaty flavor, the mustard slathered between it and the Lindberger cheese making the sandwich appear to burst in an explosion of tastes fighting for his tongue's affections. 

Savoring the experience, the muscular young man observed the sparer boy across from him for a second.  After a little while he said "Ever meet anyone you wanted to spend more time with?"

He had finished his sandwich, well two of them, having wolfed them down without much concern to what they tasted like, just that they were food energy he needed.  "Yes and no.  It is not like I can distance myself from others easily, huh?"  His smile was small, and not quite amused, so much as something else.  Shaking his head a little as he looked to the ground then.  "I mean, the problem is that people want to classify others in terms they understand.  Sometimes that doesn't get to happen.  But we all want some level of connection.  I was born to two people with strong sociopathic tendencies, and raised to be one myself.  Or at least to be as self-centered and self-reliant as possible to survive."

Lifting his head, Elias fixed Subito with a look, eye contact maintained just a little too long.  "So no one is waiting for me, and I never really thought about that kind of stuff either, and I pretty much remember any conversation I've had or been around."  Again, there was the feeling that Elias wasn't really being entirely honest, at least there were parts he was leaving out.

"Fascinating." Subito waved over Sally and payed for the food "I guess I won't ever really get you, huh? Fine by me. What now?" Standing up and helping clear away the pair's considerable dishes, the muscular boy cheerfully bid Gene and his former co-workers a good-night, the pair leaving to more than a few curious stares.

Standing on the sidewalk, Subito whistled quietly up at the sky. The stars were just beginning to come out now.

"Maybe one day.  If you want to.  But I don't necessarily think it is the best course."  He fished in his pocket, and threw a couple rumpled bills onto the table for a tip.  Managing out a small smile as he moved after Subito.

"Now, I guess we go back, and do school work.  I probably need to see the nurse... just to make sure I don't pneumonia or worse from that water..."  He made a wry face as he looked at Subito, he had swallowed more than he intended, and he tried not to think about it, but he had something of a cast iron stomach.

"Man, sometimes I forget Claremont even is a school. Never when I'm on-campus or in front of a bunch of homework, 'course" the muscular teen said with a wry grin "that mnemonic you taught me should help a lot with next week's test. Thanks for that, by the way, really makes calc seem simpler." Beginning to set off with his long strides for the bus stop, Subito glanced up at the setting sun.

"I've never had to do what you did El, and I hope I never have to, but I do know a little about needin' to make a fresh start. I can help ya there, at least..."