What are you listening to?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners" by the Foo Fighters

It's a cool-yet-tragic story, actually:

At 9:26 pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time) on 25 April 2006 a seismic event triggered an underground rock fall at the Beaconsfield gold mine in northern Tasmania.

At 5:45 pm on 30 April 2006, Webb and Russell were found alive after being trapped underground for five days.

On 1 May 2006 rescuers were still 12 metres from the miners. They were also later sent a digital camera, a torch, dry clothes, magazines, iPods including music from the Foo Fighters, deodorant and toothpaste.

When Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters heard of the miners' request to have the band's music sent down on MP3 players, he issued a personal message via fax to them indicating he would meet them for a beer. Grohl's note read, in part, "Though I'm halfway around the world right now, my heart is with you both, and I want you to know that when you come home, there's two tickets to any Foos show, anywhere, and two cold beers waiting for yous. Deal?" In October 2006, one of the miners took up his offer, joining Grohl for a drink after the Foo Fighters acoustic concert at the Sydney Opera House. Since then, Foo Fighters have written an instrumental tribute song called "Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners" appearing on the album Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace.

At 9:26 pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time) on 25 April 2006 a seismic event triggered an underground rock fall at the Beaconsfield gold mine in northern Tasmania.

At 5:45 pm on 30 April 2006, Webb and Russell were found alive after being trapped underground for five days.

On 1 May 2006 rescuers were still 12 metres from the miners. They were also later sent a digital camera, a torch, dry clothes, magazines, iPods including music from the Foo Fighters, deodorant and toothpaste.

When Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters heard of the miners' request to have the band's music sent down on MP3 players, he issued a personal message via fax to them indicating he would meet them for a beer. Grohl's note read, in part, "Though I'm halfway around the world right now, my heart is with you both, and I want you to know that when you come home, there's two tickets to any Foos show, anywhere, and two cold beers waiting for yous. Deal?" In October 2006, one of the miners took up his offer, joining Grohl for a drink after the Foo Fighters acoustic concert at the Sydney Opera House. Since then, Foo Fighters have written an instrumental tribute song called "Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners" appearing on the album Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace.

• 2 weeks later...