What are you listening to?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm these albums are currently in heavy rotation on my iPod

- Say Anything: In Defense of the Genre

awesome double album, and great songwriting.

-Deftones: B-sides and rarities

some great acoustic versions of a few songs and they also do covers of Lynard Skynard, Duran Duran, The Cure and The Smiths

- Queens of the Stone Age: Era Vulgaris

just a great rock album all around.

Hmm these albums are currently in heavy rotation on my iPod

- Say Anything: In Defense of the Genre

awesome double album, and great songwriting.

-Deftones: B-sides and rarities

some great acoustic versions of a few songs and they also do covers of Lynard Skynard, Duran Duran, The Cure and The Smiths

- Queens of the Stone Age: Era Vulgaris

just a great rock album all around.

• 3 weeks later...

Lately I've been listening to online radio, courtesy of iTunes. I'm currently tuned to BeatBasement and I listen to BassDrive, Bassjunkees, cliqhop, Destroyer.net, DnBRadio and UK Bass Radio. I also have some classical stations on my list, like IranianRadio.com for traditional Persian music. There's a decent selection of folk stations I've been meaning to check out for bluegrass and more contemporary stuff.

Oh, and I've been listening to some ambient Finnish music like Sateenkaarisuudelma. I'm interested in what kind of music gets produced in such a neat country, like Iceland.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anybody under 30 here probably hasn't heard Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys and needs to. I consider it the greatest pop album of all-time, sitting next to Sgt. Pepper's, Revolver, What's Going On, and a few others.

Speaking of the Beatles, Paul McCartney got quite a bit of inspiration from Brian Wilson and has called 'God Only Knows' the greatest song ever written, including his own work with the Fab Four.

I was inspired by your post, so I woke up to the Beach Boys this morning. That kind of pop takes some getting used to, but I like it. :D

Glad you like it. It does take some ears to listen to Brian's more orchestral stuff, just because he uses more than the guitar, bass, drums set-up. He used accordions, celestas, theremins, and even xylophones. He would set up all the musicians in one room, sometimes up to twenty of them, and do about twenty takes to get the sounds right. He used overdubs, but only if it was necessary. Most of the music you hear on Pet Sounds was done 'live'.

Here's a good picture of what I'm talking about

wreckingcrew.gif

It's definitely different than listening to their early stuff like 'Surfin' USA' or 'Don't Worry, Baby'. Once you get used to the sound though, it's heavenly.

:)