Movie Night in West End

Thunder King

Lucy gave a little apologetic smile but choose now to comment on the source of his embarrassment.

“My older brother was a Marine, he served in Haiti. At the time remember wishing I could travel like him, I was a bit of tomboy back them and though I could do anything he could." she gave a little grin "Well I guess I never lost that bit. Of cause when a got a little older I spent my time hanging around with my flapper friends and forgot my childhood dreams. And despite all that I still somehow managed to earn a law degree.†There was a hint of pride in her voice. “I suppose it was my own way of help out, and in my own small way I did my part, and proving again I could do better than the boys.â€

It was probably a little too early in the day to casually discuss the price she’d paid.

Flapper? He thought to himself. That was a fad back when he was young, so many years ago. Unless that term came back around as a fad, she might be as old as he was, maybe even older.

"Flapper, huh?" He said, chuckling. "I haven't heard...heard of anyone using that term in years. Did it become popular again when I wasn't paying attention?" He said with a chuckle. He asked, referring to the short-haired and stylish form of dress years prior. He'd met a few flappers. He didn't understand their style, but largely left well enough alone.

Lucy gave him a slightly give out an overall bemused look, she wasn’t exactly hiding the truth but she’d rather he worked it out on his own.

“Well I’m just an old fashion kind of girl. I don’t think the term has been used since the twenties, though I did spend a few decades away from popular culture. Though something’s just don’t go out of fashion.†She patted her bob cut

“And then again some people still listen to Jazz songs from the twenties and dance the Charleston†she gave a wistful smile “For which I’m quite grateful. Modern dancing is fine in its own way, but I’ve just love all those Jazz dances.â€

Henry chuckled a bit. "I haven't danced in..." He thought back to a party, many, many years ago. "Ages."

"Jazz is alright, though I favor bluegrass myself. Kentucky boy, Kentucky tastes." He said with a smile. He leaned back and glanced out the window.

"This city moves so fast, it's confusing and strange and wonderful all at the same time. It's crazy and alive, you know? I like it here. I like that music and fashion and dance all change. We live in a wonderful world, even if I don't always like the changes."

“Hmmm I don’t know much about Bluegrass, they didn’t play it one the radio when I was growing up. Well they didn’t play anything decent back then."

She gave a little smile “Maybe you could show me sometime, if you don’t mind seeing me again that is…†she tried to sound casual about it; he seemed the type that to forward a woman would spook him.

“To be honest what I really love is the atmosphere and just the sheer joy of the dancing, there was the danger as well, though that got taken away when they legalized alcohol.â€

He smiled. "Why would I mind? I'd like to spend more time with you." He said. Meanwhile, his mind was turning what she said over. Flapper, 'when they legalized alcohol', both spoken like she lived in those areas. With the heroes, and his own immortality, the idea that she'd been alive back then didn't seem strange at all. Unique, and perhaps granting him the opportunity to reveal his own secrets later.

"Maybe some time in the next few weeks, we can go to dinner. Maybe find a place that has older style dancing. Assuming you don't mind a man who's years out of practice." He grinned, feeling a bit more at ease.

Lucy raised a eyebrow, she’d be surprised if someone as attractive as Henry would be unable to find a partner. Unless of cause he was also dealing with the loss of someone? Could they have that in common? Or was there something else going on? It was hard to tell in a city like this.

“I’m sure a man of your talents will be able to remember some of the details.†She gave a broad smile “I’d be delighted to go dining and dancing with you.â€

Taking a napkin she carefully wrote down her, well the houses, telephone number. She almost wrote the simpler number of the original telephone her father had owned.

“Here’s my telephone number, you might have to deal with my landlady and her twenty questions…â€

He chuckled. "Some things never change. Call on a lady and get a busybody on the other end." He folded the paper with her number on it and placed it in his breast pocket.

"In the mean time, I will try to look for places that have dancing, there are bound to be some here. This city has everything, from superheroes to all sorts of cultures." He took out his wallet and laid the money on the table. It wasn't much, and a man should pay anyway. That was what he was always taught. Besides, he had a sneaking suspicion that she wasn't a modern lady either.

With a smile Lucy picked up the wad of note and counted out half of the note, returning the other half of the note to Henry. She replaced the note with some of her own. After a few second thought she remembered to add on, she hoped, a generous tip.

“There one thing you need to understand. I might be an old fashion kind of girl, but I’m also a Modern Woman. Not that I don’t appreciate someone acting like a gentleman, but I'm also prepared to pay my way in the world.â€

She kept her tone light, she wasn’t out to start a fight, just make sure he knew the kind of woman she was. It would be best to sort it out now then later.

"Well, I wouldn't want to disrespect a lady's wishes." He said, accepting the money with a smile. "I was always taught that way, but I don't mind so much. It's your prerogative and I respect that." Of course, he might have to get used to it, but that was hardly a bother. After all, he'd been in space, dealt with aliens. What's the difference between a man and a woman compared to different species? The world was still disappointingly prejudiced, but things were leagues better than they'd been when he left.

"I'll call on you in a day or so." He said with a smile. "But I must warn you, I sometimes get called in for emergencies, and I'll be sure to let you know if I do."

• 2 weeks later...

Lucy couldn’t help but smile at that, her days were far from free of last minute crisis’s and disasters. She suspected that neither of them would even think of giving it up in a minute.

“If you can’t reach me there try over at Our Lady of Mercy on Broadway, I help out there most nights. I’m a bit of a insomniac so I tend to be up at all hours, if necessary there are quite a few places that open all night.â€

She slide another napkin across along with her pen.

“But just in case I better get your telephone number as well, I’m afraid I’m not some shrinking violet that will wait around her house for someone to call.â€

• 1 month later...

Henry smiled and nodded. It was clear she was no shrinking violet. She was a strong woman, and he liked that. It was a strange notion for a woman to call on a man like that, but courting rituals had changed in the intervening time, and he knew adaptation was better than stagnation. Standing by the old ways in a different society would get him mocked and ignored. Best to change when the times do.

He scrawled his number down on the paper and nodded. "I'd like to apologize ahead of time if I prove unreachable. See, when I go on duty, shifts can last days at a time, so I may or may not be available. This is my cell number, so I will get back to you as soon as remotely possible." He smiled. "And I apologize, but I'm afraid I need to get going. Morning doesn't wait." He said, standing up.

He nodded politely to the pretty woman, and turned to walk out the door. Despite all the changes, he was glad that a man and woman could still take in a movie and dinner together. He liked Lucy, and looked forward to seeing her again.