Flying Flag[IC]

Ari

Bayview Mall, October 1st, Monday, Noon.

Subito waited outside the mall on one of the wood and concrete benches thoughtfully provided for the ease of pedestrians, awaiting the arrival of his friend Serge. He winced as he remembered the incredibly awkward way he had suggested that they "Y'-you know...um. Go out? Together?" he snarled incoherently and settled further back in the bench, hoping dourly that this wasn't a forecast of things to come. As one of his closest friends in the city, Subito dreaded the possible precedent his discovery about himself set.

Edited by Arichamus

Serge rode the bus to the Bayview mall, like he usually did. While he is capable of flight, he prefered to avoid using his powers as much as possible, when not on costume duty. Besides, he liked taking his time through the commute, as it really gave him some time to get lost in thought and daydream.

Quite frankly, Subito's words had startled him. He wasn't expecting his best friend to ask him out. Well, not like THAT, anyways. Serge felt slightly guilty over the matter; he knew he couldn't return the feelings. More to the point, though, he felt anxious. Saying that it was no reason for them to stop being friends was one thing, but managing it at that point was another. However, he kept reminding himself that, above all else, Subito was his friend, his bro. That's all that matters. For once in your life, you miserable excuse for a friend, stop overthink this. Don't try to act natural; BE natural.

Getting off the bus, he headed towards the entrance to the mall, and upon seeing his friend, he waved at him, and greeted him with a smile. "Hey, 'Bito! Sorry, hope I didn't make you wait too long."

The stocky teen brightened up noticeably when Serge came into view, letting the 'Bito' slide due to the other, more important issues at hand. Walking up to his friend he shook his hand fervently "Thanks a lot man, and you didn't. I was only there f'r a few minutes. I..I'm sorry for how I asked you along, I really shouldn't have said that" he apologized earnestly, brushing a few stray curls roughly out of his face. "I just wanted us to..hang out, that's all" he added, a little lamely as he turned to the front doors, beginning to lead the way in and holding the door open for the taller boy.

Raising his voice as they entered the busy mall he went on

"So, um..have you met someone you like? At school, I mean" he clarified with a slight glance of embarrassment at the mutant "sorry, I can't..I'm just curious, lots of really awesome ladies there. You met Cerys? She's pretty badass."

"Thanks a lot man, and you didn't. I was only there f'r a few minutes. I..I'm sorry for how I asked you along, I really shouldn't have said that. I just wanted us to..hang out, that's all"

Giving a small sad sigh, Serge shook his head left and right. "No, no, no. Don't apologize, bro! You don't have to." Thinking to lighten the mood a little, he added "It's not like I can blame you; after all, I AM a handsome fellow." with mock pride. "Ok, but seriously, Subito, don't be hard on yourself. We've been buddies for a year, now, and I'd like to think that we won't let something small and insignificant like that get between us." Serge commented, this time more seriously.

"So, um..have you met someone you like? At school, I mean, sorry, I can't..I'm just curious, lots of really awesome ladies there. You met Cerys? She's pretty badass."

Chuckling a bit, Serge said. "Cerys, yes, I met her. More accurately, I met her sword during a trainning combat. She really did a number on my suit. And I had just upgraded it the week before." he noted, hanging his head down a bit. "But yeah, she's definitely got skills. As for having anyone I like... well... I don't think so. I mean, there are a lot of girls in Claremont that I find very attractive, but I don't think anyone so far has really jumped to my attention."

"T's not small and insignificant to me" Subito muttered dourly, glancing around the bright mall, looking for one store in particular. "Alright, just wonderin'. She is really good at fighting, like a lot of those other girls that recently got into Claremont. Wonder if it's a new trend? Anyway, been on a few evil-fighting trips with her recently, she lives a pretty crazy life. Ask her about Wales or her family sometime." they arrived at the small music store, Subito waving cheerily to the lone employee, who waved back before going back to inventory-taking.

"Hey Mary! So, Serge, figured we might do good by going for a similar interest, so..music. Bound t'be somethin' you've wanted to get for a while" he said encouragingly, heading for the small Schubert corner. "I've got a grand idea for something we can do at school, I want to be prepared."

"Hey Mary! So, Serge, figured we might do good by going for a similar interest, so..music. Bound t'be somethin' you've wanted to get for a while"

"Nah, not really. I've got a few cds back home, but I prefer the radio, to tell the truth." Serge noted, as they entered music store. "Still, we're here, so I might as well browse a bit, see if anything catches my eye." he added, while having a mental laugh at the thought that his eyes would decide whether he'd like to listen to something.

"I've got a grand idea for something we can do at school, I want to be prepared."

Perking an eyebrow, Serge asked Subito "A grand idea, you say?... I... am actually filled with equal parts of dread and anticipation. Pray tell me, good fellow, what is that idea of yours you speak?"

With surprise the stockier teen glanced over at the other Claremonter. "Wait, really? Just 'bout everyone else I've met around here hates radios, 'cause the bands broadcast so rarely play any of the music they like. Why d'you prefer them?"

When asked what he had planned he answered with a mischievous grin "Well, you noticed how..well, how there weren't all that many school events this year? Apparently this is one of the quietest years Claremont has had in a while. After all that stuff You-" he glanced sharply over at Mary, who had had just barely nudged one of the music containers as she had begun to sidle closer to the conversation, quickly and casually returning to the shelves when she realized she had been discovered "-that stuff you know back when the Gorgon showed up? Anyway, after all that and the other crises in the last years I was thinking we could do a little music fest, using your talents to help make it fresh!"

"Wait, really? Just 'bout everyone else I've met around here hates radios, 'cause the bands broadcast so rarely play any of the music they like. Why d'you prefer them?"

Serge looked diagonially upwards, for a second, before responding "Well, hearing your favorite music certainly is cool, but after a while, it can get tiring, hearing the same songs over and over. Radio has many frequencies, providing both flexibility and the randomness factor. Plus, you may hear some interesting news." He said, giving a meaningful look at his friend in order to punctuate that last part.

"Well, you noticed how... well, how there weren't all that many school events this year? Apparently this is one of the quietest years Claremont has had in a while. After all that stuff You--that stuff you know back when the Gorgon showed up? Anyway, after all that and the other crises in the last years I was thinking we could do a little music fest, using your talents to help make it fresh!"

Serge listened carefully at Subito, nodding in agreement. "Indeed, you have a point there. Even though the year has been relatively quiet, I'm sure that everyone could do with some stress release. But just a music fest? That seems... I dunno, narrow? Why not add some theater in the mix?"

Serge looked diagonially upwards, for a second, before responding "Well, hearing your favorite music certainly is cool, but after a while, it can get tiring, hearing the same songs over and over. Radio has many frequencies, providing both flexibility and the randomness factor. Plus, you may hear some interesting news."

"Yeah, that's a good point. In this city you need all the news you can get, never know when Dr. Mayhem will start busting up around ASTRO Labs after all" Subito agreed, thumbing through some piano pieces with great dexterity. He needed to get back into practice.

"Indeed, you have a point there. Even though the year has been relatively quiet, I'm sure that everyone could do with some stress release. But just a music fest? That seems... I dunno, narrow? Why not add some theater in the mix?"

His fingers froze, and he glanced sharply at Serge, eyes narrowing briefly before he blinked and looked sheepishly and apologetic at his friend. "Yeah, I've been thinking about that...something Shakespearean, you know? But kinda obscure, not like his real famous ones."

"Yeah, I've been thinking about that...something Shakespearean, you know? But kinda obscure, not like his real famous ones."

Serge looked a bit confused at Subito's look, for a moment there, but seeing it change almost instantly, he decided to let it rest instead of inquiring about it, thinking that it was probably nothing. "Well... Shakespear's real famous plays would be Romeo And Juliet, and Hamlet. Perhaps Othello too. King Lear, The Twelfth Night, The Taming Of The Shrew, and A Midsummer Night's Dream would be the more obscure ones... not that you could call even them obscure, really... Oh, and Much Ado About Nothing, can't forget about that... hmmm, perhaps we should avoid the Merchant Of Venise, what with Shylock the antagonist being... well... rife with unfortunate implications." Serge said, scratching his chin as he tried to think of any more plays from Shakespeare he might have forgotten.

"...Ah! Macbeth, I almost forgot that. Yes, " the young man attempted to reinact the famous line from the play, ignoring the passerbys. "Right, after those plays, you go to the more obscure ones, like Antonio and Cleopatra or Henry... and... that's all Shakespeare's plays I've heard of. Hmmm... We could also go for some Comedia del Arte, like Servant Of Two Masters. Or perhaps, some Ancient Greek plays, if you'd really wanna go retro. Lysistrata is a classic comedy. Heh, get it? Classic Comedy?" The young teen snorted at his lame pun.

Whistling in admiration at Serge's impressive list of plays, Subito racked his brain to find another title to add to it, wincing at the mention of The Merchant of Venice "Ugh, yeah. Let's not do one that'll folks upset. How about one of Shakespeare's Greek or Roman-style plays? Those don't get much attention." he stopped whipping through the stacks of music-holding compact disks to cast about for a good title "Hm..Pericles? Nah...Cymbeline..no, really no..Ive got it!"'he exclaimed suddenly, whipping around and pointing straight at Serge "Troilus and Cressida! That'll be perfect! Hardly anyone's seen it or read it, it'll be a new experience for a lot of people! What d'you think Surge?" he asked eagerly.

"Hmmmm... well... I've certainly never heard of it. I think it's obscure enough to fit the bill." Serge nodded in agreement over Subito's suggestion. "However, just because it's a new and unusual experience, doesn't mean it's appealing. We will need something to garner attention... something..." Serge struggled coming up with an idea. Sure, he could do machinery and binary code every day of the week, but give him a task that requires creative, out of the box thinking, and Serge would be completely stumped. Even his first powersuit was basically a few devices, that he had found, thrown and held together by shewn cloth. It wasn't until later that he managed to access some interesting papers about advanced robotics, that some sparks of creativity flashed before him. "... Gah! I dunno... Any ideas on how we could make it a really appealing option?"

That was an unexpected difficulty. Subito realized, turning back to the CD stand to consider this problem, that this and a lot of similar issues with him and forethought kept cropping up. 'Eh, probably nothin''

"Yeah, we'd need a certain something to make it more than just a production of the play..how about we play music during the play, low enough that it doesn't overpower the actors but loud enough to help set the scene's mood?" he frowned "Would that even work out? Can your talents do that Surge?" he asked.

"Yeah, we'd need a certain something to make it more than just a production of the play... how about we play music during the play, low enough that it doesn't overpower the actors but loud enough to help set the scene's mood? Would that even work out? Can your talents do that Surge?"

"Emmm, actually..." Serge said, a bit weakly. "That would require to take into account the accoustics of the room involved, not to mention a good music ear. And to be perfectly honest, I... don't think I'm an expert on anything involving sound... Having that said, however, I'm sure we could find someone on the student body who could aid us in that aspect, and I would definitely be able to lend a hand on the hardware and software involved." the young man explained to his friend. "Hmmm, but yeah, that sounds pretty cool, Subito! At the very least, it's a start, and that's more than what I had to offer!" Serge praised his buddy.

Selecting with care Schubert's #7 C Major symphony, Subito tossed it lightly in the air, quickly locating and securing a CD of compositions by Hayden before bringing them to the counter, "Could y'put 'em in a bag Mary? We're not done yet, I don't think Surge has found what he'd like" he asked the young woman, glancing at the significantly blonder boy for confirmation "Thanks for that vote of confidence, by the way" he added earnestly "As for the acoustics, I bet we can get some of the other students like Kris to help with that, and my hearing is..pretty good for that kind of stuff" he said with a surprisingly subtle(for him that is) wink at his schoolmate. "How much interest do you think we could drum up for it?"

Serge was browsing the stands, going from section to section, and checking the track lists of various albums. Upon finding a track that he was familiar with, he would chuckle slightly as he brought to mind the track's tune. Turning at his friend, Subito, when he spake to him, Serge nodded as he said "No need to thank me bro, I was just stating the facts! And the fact is, your idea is certain to generate plenty of interest. The bigger question is, when do you think we will be ready to hold the festival, and especially the play. Setting things up from a technical standpoint shouldn't take more than two weeks, but Shakespeare's work is not your average school play; it would take months of rehearsal before we are ready..." pausing a bit to run some logistics, Serge hazard a guess "... Hmmm... about three months should do it, right on time for Christmas. That is, if we rehearse intensively and on a daily basis."

The technical side of things, Subito decided firmly, was best put in the hands of someone with their feet more or less firmly on the ground. Frowning at the problem he said thoughtfully "When we'll be ready...yeah, if we really, really practice a few months working on who does what, the cues, the props, backdrops..wait, those probably go under 'props', don't they? Anyway, it'll be a pretty big undertaking" he said gravely, staring intently at the floor as he spoke to Serge. He leaned his left arm against the checkout counter as he looked fully at his mutant pal "Anyone you know off the bat that'll be up for it? I mean, practicing just about every day for the play? I know maybe Morgan or Cerys is intense enough about training for it, but I doubt ol' Blodeu would speak loud enough to be heard for more'n a few yards from the stage, and Morgan would go crazy making r-really weird special effects for the scenes" he corrected himself smoothly, glancing at Mary out of the corner of his eye.

"Anyone you know off the bat that'll be up for it? I mean, practicing just about every day for the play? I know maybe Morgan or Cerys is intense enough about training for it, but I doubt ol' Blodeu would speak loud enough to be heard for more'n a few yards from the stage, and Morgan would go crazy making r-really weird special effects for the scenes"

"Well, can't say that anyone pops to my mind, in particular, at the moment." Serge shrugged. "I wouldn't sweat it either; we can have auditions, right? Anyone interested would probably show up. What we WILL need, for certain, I suppose, would be an overseer or supervisor; one of the faculty members, to help direct things, especially with the academy. Wanting to throw a festival in school grounds is neat and all, but I don't think we could do it without premission from principal Summers. Plus, a supervisor would be the most likely person to provide direction and fill in the blanks for us, in case we miss something."

Looking around, he asked his budy. "So, what do you wanna do next? We could go hit the pools, or how about some food?"

"Okay, now I'm wondering why you didn't think this whole thing up Surge" Subito declared with admiration "It'd have taken me ages to hit on obvious stuff like that. I'd have gone off on some little detail about the lighting or whatever, and never even thought of asking permission to start the thing until like a day later." he rubbed the back of his curly head briefly as he stared at the floor, deep in thought. "Yeah, auditions would be good. Bound to be some of the students won't have much else better to do during the winter. I'll take it up with the admin office, see what they think about it first." he said with a firm nod, looking back up at Serge with a grin. "The pools or food? Well one's gonna make up for the latter, so I'd say we go pooling first, then get us some victuals!" Mary, still behind the checkout counter, gave a polite cough to remind the two teens that they were in fact in a store. Starting at the sudden sound from behind him the stocky Puerto Rican blushed slightly when he realized what it was, cleared his throat and took the bag of CDs with a "Thanks a lot Mary, see you later!" as he set out for the door, telling Serge "I'll be right outside. Then: pools!"

"Okay, now I'm wondering why you didn't think this whole thing up Surge. It'd have taken me ages to hit on obvious stuff like that. I'd have gone off on some little detail about the lighting or whatever, and never even thought of asking permission to start the thing until like a day later."

Serge chuckled a bit, out of embarrasment. "Because, my dear 'Bito, while I can provide some insight once I know what it is I'm dealing with, I lack the actual brain part thingy that provides the imagination necessary to procure innovation. Hmmm... let's call it the leadership gland, for ease of refference, shall we?" the young man said, making it clear that he praised Subito's drive.

After Serge thanked the clerk for her help, Serge headed out along with Subito. "Pool it is, then! Get ready for some serious humiliation, 'Bito, cause this time, revenge shall be had by me, and it shall prove a most delicious apetizer! MwahahahahaHAHAHAAAA!" He laughed a classic maniacal evil laugh, a laugh that someone pretends to barely hold in his mouth before it escapes unrestrained, as if to emphasize the point on a comical note. "... *cough* Sorry, been practicing that one." he half-apologized for the spectacle at his friend.

"Have a great day you two!" Mary called out after them cheerfully, getting back to the shelves as they left. Subito responded "You too Mary! Hope your cat gets better soon."

Subito looked at Serge irritably as they left the store "Look, could y'stop calling me 'Bito' all the time? I'll stop callin' you Surge if that'll do it" he offered, setting out for the arcade. "I mean, I don't really mind it, but...I don't want to give the wrong impression" he finished lamely as they walked towards the neon-lit entryway of the arcade. It wasn't the one that he and Serge had been playing at when that mirror woman from the Thieves Guild had attacked in Midtown, but the pair were known there, and the young man behind the desk gave them a friendly wave and a smile. "Hey Ted! Pool tickets, if you would be so kind." Subito said brightly, paying for their short stay and leading the way to the table. "Alright Serge, you wanna go first? Set up your, shall we say, dashing victory?" he asked with a gleeful grin and a wink of one hazel eye. Taking up one of the pool cues and twirling it with expert fingers he watched his taller friend expectantly.

• 4 months later...

Serge nodded politely at Mary as the two boys were headed out. "Thank you very much, and have a good day!"

His shoulders however started slumping slowly but steadily, as his friend complained about his nickname. "I... uh... sorry, Subito." He said dejectedly. "I didn't know it bothered you so much. I mean, sure, I meant it as a teasing term of endearment, but I can see your point." The young boy awkwardly tried apologising. "Very well, I will, henceforth refrain from referring to you as 'Bito. Feel free to call me Surge, though. I don't mind the nickname." Serge explained with a flourish to give emphasis on his words, and nded with an honest smile.

At the pool table, Serge took to setting the balls, making sure that they were in the correct spot and properly aligned. At Subito's suggestion, he declined. "No can do, bro. You won the last time, so you get to break first." After he was finished, he made sure he had applied chalk to his cue.

Serge nodded politely at Mary as the two boys were headed out. "Thank you very much, and have a good day!"

His shoulders however started slumping slowly but steadily, as his friend complained about his nickname. "I... uh... sorry, Subito." He said dejectedly. "I didn't know it bothered you so much. I mean, sure, I meant it as a teasing term of endearment, but I can see your point." The young boy awkwardly tried apologising. "Very well, I will, henceforth refrain from referring to you as 'Bito. Feel free to call me Surge, though. I don't mind the nickname." Serge explained with a flourish to give emphasis on his words, and nded with an honest smile.

At the pool table, Serge took to setting the balls, making sure that they were in the correct spot and properly aligned. At Subito's suggestion, he declined. "No can do, bro. You won the last time, so you get to break first." After he was finished, he made sure he had applied chalk to his cue.

Aligning the cue with the white ball, Subito squinted down the pole, tested its placement, then shot it forward like a bullet into the neat triangle!

The balls rattled and clacked as they bounced crazily from one end of the green table to the next, the purple 4, tan 7 and blue 2 dropping into the baskets with satisfying *clunk*s, but to the sturdy boy's frustration the others missed their targets by mere inches. It wasn't something worth getting mad over though, and he laughed good-naturedly as he took the chalk from Serge, polishing the cue and stepping aside to let the other boy take his shot.

"Hope your cue loves you better'n mine! So on other things, uh, Surge..yeah I'm callin' you that from now on" he grinned "What d'you think about the teams some of the other guys have started up? Like Young Freedom?" He nipped at the inside of his mouth, looking curiously at the mutant with bright eyes.

Edited by Arichamus

Serge followed, taking aim at the red 11 ball, which was lodged in a somewhat unfavorable position, a few centimeters left of the middle pocket and touching the table bounds. Aiming at the right side of the 11 ball, the white ball flew with speed and accuracy, and the angle, in conjuction with the table bounds, caused the 11 ball to adopt a similar angle and move away from the bounds, and become neatly pocketed at the middle pocket in the other side of the table. He smiled triumphantly, after taking a deep breath, and replied to Subito. "Well, creating bonds is an important part of the super hero jig, isn't it? The way I hear it, half the community is connected to the other half, and considering that they've been at it for far longer than both of us, then my guess is that it's not without reason. Plus, even if things don't work out for all of them, it would be a learning experience, at the very least."

This time, taking aim at the purple eleven ball, which was at the other end of the table and in a good position for the upper-right pocket, Serge fired a longshot, aiming slightly at the left of the ball, so as not to accidentally pocket the white ball as well. And it worked... resulting in an awkward finish as the ball in question bounced in the pocket before flewing outside the pocket and back to middle of the table. As for the white, however, it managed to hit the blue 10 ball, which arrived in front of the left pocket, just inches before falling inside. "Crap. Oh, well. at least, you won't be using that pocket for the time being, Subito, lest you'd rather risk losing your turn." He half-taunted his friend.

"I didn't meant like that, Surge!" Subito laughed, taking his place at the table, peering down the cue as he tapped it experimentally against the much-abused white ball.

With a sharp retort the missile shot across the velvet, and watching with satisfaction as it knocked the green 6 clean into the pocket! To Serge he went on, looking away from the white ball as it whizzed around the table "I mean, have you thought about joinin' any? You'd be a really good guy to have around!" resting the pool cue under his elbow he listed off the reasons on his fingers "You're good with tech, you keep cool under pressure, your suit lets you change tactics on the fly, you're good with people, an' you can play the team theme song any time!"

Grinning cheerfully at Serge, Subito glanced back at the table just in time to see the rebounding white ball miss every other target by inches, coming to a stop near the center of the table. He puffed out his dark cheeks before exhaling slowly. "....*phew* Your move, bro." he stepped away, nodding with a reassuring smile at the blond mutant.

Edited by Arichamus