Another Day in the Big City. (IC)

TheAbsurdist

September 30th, 2012

"You... know... that is defeating... the purpose!" Asad huffed as he jogged along the trail, keeping his arms swinging in rhythm to match the tempo of his legs. He jogged a lot. A lot. Since his rescue several weeks he ran a lot more. In part it kept him away from people who kept asking him questions, but also because he was pushing himself, hard. He rather pointedly avoided that topic, even with his employee/associate Lady Winter.

Thus far he had been polite, not prying into her background more than she had been ready to give up. And he had drug her along to social events, in part to show off the idiot playboy was hiring attractive women, but also because she was another set of eyes. Especially after the attack on the main office, he had asked her if she'd be willing to help with security. The hope being that since he was already garnering attention that if he got enough heroes on the payroll, that people would think twice from coming after his company again.

The longer this business relationship went on, the more casual and friendly it got. Despite Asad's reputation, he flirted with her, yes, he also kept a certain distance as one would have in business. Still it was becoming a friendship. Which, in turn, was a good thing for them both.

"I... promise... running doesn't hurt... unless you smoke!"

"Bah! Is more fun this way." Lady Winter said to her employer as she slid along the path of ice forming several feet above Asad. She was not entirely sure why Asad had developed such a drive towards exercise, but she suspected it had something to do with his kidnapping not long ago. Lady Winter had the feeling she should have given him a little more warning about rich young men travelling to europe, but that time had passed her.

She handled everything Asad dragged her into. Sometimes it looked like she knew how to get around social events. Some would say a little too well. It was a bit hard for one to find out. She had been reluctant to share almost anything with anyone other than the most broadest of strokes of her life. But it did not matter too much in her mind. She did take the offer to play bodyguard for him along with everything else. Dasha found herself looking forward to beating up anyone dumb enough to attack Asad despite herself

"Besides, is good practice. Clearly you have never fallen off from great height and nearly broke your neck when landing." She continued on as she watched him run.

And truthfully, he kept up an exhausting pace. Not just now, but in general. She knew just from being in on his social calendar, which include late night talk shows, and various other media appearances. She was a topic of conversation as well, and Asad gave a nice throwaway answer about why he hired her, it of course made him look like the impulsive billionaire he might be. But thus far no one had tested them too much. As they were a combination that could cause quite a bit of trouble to any hapless villains that came across them. Especially with how regularly he worked on improving his abilities since he had gotten back, sparring with her, and others, frequently.

"More... fun for... who?" Shooting her a mock glare, before taking a sip from his water bottle, and continuing on through the park. They drew a lot of attention, but that was par for course. Even if she wasn't sliding next to him in the air.

"For me of course!" Lady Winter replied with laughter as she moved a little behind Asad. A pillar of ice shot out from the slide and anchored itself into the ground just to the left of the path. Stability was sometimes an issue when it came to ice paths. She moved right back to her point of just flying over her employer.

"Besides, contract mentions nothing of exercise. And it is much easier to provide free air conditioning for you when I am not running around and tripping over myself." She continued, smiling.

"I... am... needing... to train... for a charity super-marathon... in Death Valley... this... is necessary..." Ever the talker, Asad managed to huff and puff out a sentence, as he kept up his jog. It was a planned publicity stunt, that he was going to do in several months time. Of course even with his powers it was going to be hard, and more importantly Vegas was already laying odds on his inevitable failure.

"Huh, more reason for me to fly nearby and stop you from setting yourself on fire from sun." Lady Winter continued on. She briefly looked like was about to trip and fall off the slide, but she righted herself just in time before falling head first into the pavement below.

"Don't people die running around in that place? With name like that, it would seem likely."

"It is just... one of... the hottest... places... on earth... that's all." Trying not to smirk too much as he caught her trying to correct herself out of the corner of his eye. He was deadset on much to the eyerolling from everyone, but thus far he hadn't demonstrated superhuman speed, and it was matter of him taking pledges for the first run in Death Valley, with the goal being next summer to compete in the Badwater Ultra Marathon. "After... this... we... are... going go get... beers... okay?"

"Ah. Well give me few hours with Death Valley and I might reverse its title from hottest place to coldest." The Blue Russian said with a slight frown. The idea of heat did not hold the same appeal it would have had before she gained her powers. none the less, she finally managed to attain enough balance that the idea of falling off could be pushed out of her mind. If only for a short amount of time.

"Oh of course." She replied with a nod. "Though I might get something a bit stronger than that."

"Of... course you... would not... mind..." Laughing as he kept up the running, though it sounded, of course, breathless. He turned to her, and jogged backwards looking at her, as she was going slowly enough to allow him to do that. The partnership was working. She provided someone stunning on his arm frequently, and on a couple occasions as been able to flex her muscle on the more aggressive of the tabloid folk. It had been, thus far easy, while still allowing her a bit of leeway with her own thing. Like he had said. Though there were rumors that they were involved romantically, which he was enigmatic about, but then any chance he had to play the press he couldn't help but engage in. "Where were you thinking... of... going?"

GM

Unfortunately for the billionaire hero he did not see, or hear the disturbance as it was happening. His back was to it, and he was chatting up, as he was want to do. So he didn't notice the flash of light, it was midday on a brisk autumn afternoon, after all. Nor did he see the people people appear in armor behind him. Fortunately for them both, Lady Winter did, and more importantly she saw them lift limbs and ready weapons. So it looked like, today at least, her boss was going to get his money's worth, as they seemed slightly discombobulated from them appearing like they did in front of the pair. And then she saw the flames come to light in the thinner of the two, whose armor seemed less technological and more... baroque.

Lady Winter laughed. "Oh my. I am not sure, I was thinking perhaps we..." The blue Russian trailed off as she looked ahead. Her eyes went wide when she spotted the armored attackers just ahead of her. Cold wind started to surround her now open palm. "are being attacked!" She shouted as she sent a Gail of wind and chunks of ice at the one armed with the flame thrower in an attempt to take down the biggest threat to her. The ice smashed right into to potential attackers head as she started to slide just a head of Asad.

GM

Scratch it up to fear, or something instinctual and primal, but whatever it was, when Lady Winter pulled up her power, there was a decided extra bit of oomph. Especially as the armored person spread their arms and moved towards her, fire coruscating over their form. The kind of thing that was not good for her. What hit him was not just a wintry blast to the face, it was more than that. The moisture in the air sucked in with enough force to make an audible pop as the sudden cold was enough to flash freeze a line of artic might right into her foe. And it kept moving past them, carrying the enemy with it until the ice stopped, and well the bad guy just kept going. Flying up and back, and taking the individual out of the fight. And leaving the other person alone with them.

Fortunately the person, thing... whatever, was at least the consummate professional, and lifted their left arm, which ended in something resembling a gun rather than an articulated hand. And then the rocket shot forth from the outstretched arms, impacting Lady Winter in the chest, and exploding. The force of which threatens to knock her flat.

Oh damn. Lady Winter thought as she raised her arm and attempted to freeze the rocket before it could reach her. Her timing and aim was off however as she missed it, letting the rocket slam into her and sending her tumbling off the ice platform she had formed. Dasha's head and ears were ringing as she tried to get her bearings once more. The explosion had left her far too dazed for her to pull herself off the ground, even if she continued to try. On the bright side, at least I am not screaming in an inferno of fire.

GM

Seeing Lady Winter on the ground, the armored person wasted no time before taking aim at Asad, who was still surprised at these turn of events. And as he spun around he was caught dead center in the chest with something that surged out and wrapped him up in a snarl of cabling knocking him to the ground. A cord of blue energy connected between the armor and the net that caught him. And then the battlesuit aimed it's gun arm back at Lady Winter, it's intentions clear. Before it started to move back, him being dragged along by the the tether attached to the net.

He spun around in time to see the missile impact Lady Winter, his face cycling through emotions, before settling on rage. Though he was still taken by surprise as the impact of the net caught him by surprise, it opened up and wrapped around him in layers preventing any movement, and making him drop to his knees, none of the impacts sufficient to actually be usable.

"I don't appreciate people hitting my friends with missiles!" Seeing that glowing strand of energy connecting the nets to the power suit, and he reached out with his powers and started to siphon that energy away. There was nothing visible for a moment, before the strand's glow increase as it served as a greater conduit for power, and then there was sparks coming from the emitter on the powersuit, and then the laser tether failed completely.

Lady Winter came back to her senses, the ringing in her head fallen into silence as she started to rise from the ground. The air grew incredibly cold within moments as a massive hammer made out of ice started to form in her hands. "" She screamed as she charged the armored attack, not really caring if she was using English or not. With one swing, the mass of solid ice connected with the helmet of their attacker. She turned her head to Asad. "You need help with that?" She asked quickly before turning back to their opponent.

Slowly he pushed himself to his feel, and grunted with effort and slowly he starts to pull his arms apart. "No, I think I have this... Please, continue to thrash him." And then a louder, shriller groan happened, as the metal and other materials of the net started to give away, and then with a ka-thunk! he ripped it off of him, and it dropped to the ground. "This is why you do not piss off a Russian, my friend. I would recommend giving up, or running away. Those are your best options." Kicking the last bit of the netting from him and growling just a little bit as he clenched his fists and stepped towards Lady Winter and her new friend.

nodding, Lady Winter raised her hammer high above her head. With every ouch of strength she could muster, she brought the ice crashing down once again on the battlesuits head. The force from that blow alone sent a crack through the head and small chips fell away, quickly melting away. Another layer of ice started to form on her weapon, covering all the damage it had just sustained.

"You going to let me do all the heavy hitting yes?" She asked Asad as she readied her hammer for another blow.

"Hardly!" Off-balance he use his ability to fly to surge towards the battle suit as it reeled from her blow, and Lady Winter got to see her boss' strength when it was powered up, she could see the tracers of power moving through his skin, and going to his fist as it struck the armored wearer in the gut. Enough force to cascade off, to crumple metal. Bits and pieces of the suit showering out as the punch lifted the battlesuited person up, and then sent hurtling up and away, much like the Pyro she had hit with with her ice blast. "I can, actually' hit hard myself. Let's go after them! I do not appreciate being attacked like this."

Dasha was caught off guard by the sheer force of Asads punch. "Now that is Impressive." She said while watching the battlesuit hurling away, slightly disappointed that she wouldn't get to attack again. She lowered her weapon.

"It would be smart to, wouldn't it." Lady Winter said as ice started to cover the ground around her feet. She started running until she simply started to skate. A new slide started to rise from the ground as Lady Winter started to rise. "Let us hope he has not run off. I have questions."

He hadn't been trying to impress, it just came naturally. But then, he really tried to not fight, she had seen him more apt to bribe criminals when he got the chance, but more often than what he wanted, gloves came off, in a big way. It was just how it was. Two steps and he rose into the air, smoothly. Even if he was still dressed in his jogging clothes. "I have a few myself Winter. Let us get him and ask... politely. If that doesn't work we are peeling that tin can off of him one piece at a time." He was a little bit more sure about his speed than she was, but she moved a lot faster than him too. Not that it mattered to either of them, they both booked fast after the battlesuit. Who impacted hard and skidded along the dirt and grass, and Asad winced a little at seeing that furrowed mound. "I need to set aside a fun dfor incidental damages. I really do."

"That sounds like a plan I can get behind." Lady Winter said while in the air. She spotted their assailant smashing into the ground below. "Metropolis deals with keeping city intact. Yes?" She asked just as the chilling cold began to wrap around her hand while she surged forward. Raising it, she sent a blast of cold air right at the attack and watched as Ice started to form around metal and the ground.

"Should be able to get answers this way." Dasha said as the ice continued to form.

Asad landed as the iced encased the battlesuit wearer. Looking down at the person, he reached down, and pressed his hand to the helmet, and then he starts apply his power to the armor, and he reached into that armor, and started to rip the energy powering it right out. There was some more sparks as he overloaded capacitors reduced the power levels to almost non-existent. "If you want, Winter, you can threaten him with a hammer until he talks, though you may want to remove his helmet." Standing, he didn't notice that he was glowing, charged up from earlier, and almost thrumming with power as he looked down at the suit. and waited for his associate to land. "I know, I know terribly unsporting of us, but this way, we are not hitting you anymore."

Lady Winter landed just next to the battlesuit, the ice slide cutting off just as it touched the ground. "Of course." She relied as she bent down and got a grip on the helmet. She was not sure if there was suppose to be a way to make the helmet release or not. Though it didn't matter much when she got hold and simply pulled with all of her strength, ripping it free from the mercenary.

"There we go. You want to start?" Dasha asked, Hammer still at the ready.Being threatened with a giant hammer with nothing to stop it from coming down was often enough to get someone talking.

GM

The helmet peeled off with effort, and not so much to their surprise it was a woman, who was staring up at that massive ice hammer threatening her health, and she had felt the impact through her armor, just like she felt Asad's punch. Her hair was stringy against forehead with sweat, and she winced, squinting her brown eyes. "I... jesus! I just was hired to nab rich guy! I didn't ask why, I didn't care, the money was really good! We were told he liked to jog out here!" Clearly whatever loyalty the woman had was melting faster than Lady Winter's ice. But that was to be expected, she was a mercenary, and these two had damaged the systems in her suit quite well. And that was gonna cost.