Atomic Bob

Thaumonuclear

[floatr]smallBob.png[/floatr]

Index

Active Threads

Twilight At the Museum

September 20

North End

It would appear Freedom City gave birth to yet another costumed hero last night as a man in a green suit and glowing goggles halted a break-in at a warehouse alongside Astro Labs.

After delivering the burglars to the custody of the Freedom City Police Department he was questioned briefly by Sergeant Ted Molloy. Sgt. Molloy says he seemed a bit flustered by the attention, but gave his name as Atomic Bob and asserted he had noticed the suspicious activity on his way home from work and decided to investigate.

There have been no reported witnesses to him in action and the burglars remain behind bars advised by their lawyer not to speak of the incident. Astro Labs has no comment at this time about either Atomic Bob or the attempted break in.

While Freedom City has no shortage of heroes it is always reassuring seeing our brave citizens take a stand to keep our city a safe place to live.

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

A scientist transformed by a reactor accident into a physical powerhouse and radiation controller.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

In plainclothes, I go by the name Robert Rutherford.

What is your full birth name?

Robert Jeffrey Davis

Where do you live?

In Lantern Hill. A reasonably priced apartment that the landlord strongly stressed (unprompted) was free of ghosts.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

30 years old, born back in 82. I was one of the youngest scientists on the project when the accident happened.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

Male

How would you describe your heritage?

English/French/German. The Davis family came over from England a few generations ago and joined the melting pot. My mother was a chemist who came over from France to work here.

How tall are you?

These days I'm pretty tall (6'2"), but wasn't always so.

What is your body type?

Almost suspiciously well muscled for a science teacher.

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

My mild allergies cleared up with the accident.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

I'm a little big to be skulking around. In my secret identity, I try not to emphasize my size, but as Atomic Bob I enjoy strutting and making a big impression.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

I don't tan anymore, so I'm a bit pasty. I have blue eyes and dark brown hair.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

I keep clean shaven when possible, and wear my hair cut short.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

I feel my proportions are a little exaggerated, but I've noticed appreciable looks from some of my female coworkers.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

Nothing of note.

Do you resemble anyone famous?

Not that I've noticed.

Do you have a dominant hand?

Right-handed

What kind of clothing do you wear?

I wear suits for work. At home I prefer jeans and polos.

Do you wear makeup?

No

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

I sing bass, just not very well.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

Nothing I know of.

History

Where do you come from?

Queens, NY

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

I attended Princeton and MIT before moving to Virginia to work on a secret military project. When that ended, I took up residence in Freedom City.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

I love my country, and want to see it do better and improve/maintain respect in the world. Due to some disagreements with the military, I'm rather distrustful of them and the federal government.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

I miss New York and wish I could visit it again.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

New York City can be rough on the edges, but I grew up mostly in a nice neighborhood.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

It's tough being the "smart kid" and I wasn't particularly athletic back then. It left my a bit shy perhaps, and intolerant of bullies.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

Science just worked for me. While my classmates would struggle with the basic concepts, I was reading ahead to the end of the book and staying after class to ask my teachers more advanced questions. So of course, I did really well in school and that propelled me along professionally until it landed me in the middle of the accident.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

My parents died in a car crash while I was at college. It was rough on me and my sister, of course, but we pulled through. Brought us a lot closer.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

Mom took me to the lab one day when I was 13. She ended up too busy to pay much attention to me, but I started talking to an intern. He was fascinated by how well I understood what was going on at the lab, and I was just ecstatic to have someone closer to my age who understood things as well as I did.

It was really encouraging, I realized that if I stuck it out, some day I'd find peers I could relate with.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

I had a chemistry set for my birthday when I was 8. Long story short, I spent summer vacation without eyebrows and constantly smelled sulfur everywhere I went.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

I got my BS at Princeton and then did my graduate work at MIT. PhD in nuclear physics. It was one of the greatest periods of my life.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

After the accident I wasn't able to go home again, so I wasn't able to keep any mementos.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

A few months ago, someone broke into my apartment. I subdued them easy enough, and I'm surprised that I wasn't scared at all, it was a bit of a thrill. Then I thought about Centurion and Daedalus and the Freedom League and decided it would really feel good to be like them and help defend the city.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

I try not to mention loving the thrill. It just seems like a selfish reason to be a hero.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Dr. Robert Davis supposedly died after an attack by Hiroshima Shadow on his experimental reactor. In reality, I revived at my own funeral and was taken by the military for testing. They wanted to turn me into a super-soldier. I didn't want that, so I escaped and now I'm Bob Rutherford.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

If I used my real name, I'm sure I'd be tracked down pretty quickly. I don't even feel safe getting involved in cutting edge science any more.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

I'd have to go on the run again, find a new life and identity. I like to think I wouldn't do anything illegal to protect that secret, but I might let a villain barter it for his freedom.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

No

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

Stephen and Annabelle Davis

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

Yes

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

They were both respected scientists in their fields.

Where are your parents now?

Unfortunately they both died when I was 20.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

We stayed in the same house until I moved out.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

We got along well. They really pushed me to study and learn and I appreciated having someone who respected learning.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

I think they'd be proud.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

My younger sister Jean was more outgoing than I was. She teased me a lot for being a nerd. But after our parents died we really got close, I helped her finish school and just keep going through the pain. I've had to let her think I'm dead, though.

What was your birth order in the family?

I'm four years older than Jean.

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

Jean's living in Boston, writing for the Boston Globe. A little cyber-stalking shows me she's living with her fiancé. They haven't set the date yet, but I'm trying to figure out how I can attend without letting my secret slip.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

She thinks I'm dead, so there's not much to say.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

Jean's all i have.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

No.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

Jean never had much love for math of science, which made her stick out a bit. We love her, though.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

Not that I know of.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

Single and childless.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

It would be nice to have a family, but they'd be liabilities too. I plan to just let things happen.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

I need someone smart and educated I can talk to, but I think I want someone much more outgoing than I am to help push me along.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

I sometimes hang out with the other teacher form work but apart from Joel Hanson, we aren't particularly close yet.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

I guess Joel Hanson, the band director at Edison. I've never been that musically talented, so I'm really impressed hearing the music Joel and the kids make. He's tagged me several times to help out with band trips and I've arranged for them to do some concerts for my church. Eat lunch with him almost every day and go out for drinks sometimes. He's noticed when I've come to work with bruises I didn't cover up well enough. He may be suspicious.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

I guess Joel and my co-workers and students would be a little worried. Weird things happen in this town, though, so they'd probably get over it.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

A few girlfriends in college. Standard fare, in the end I didn't pay enough attention to them and they lost interest.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

I'm angry at Hiroshima Shadow for setting off the accident that destroyed my old life. I was working on an experimental reactor when he attacked. He didn't want the US to have even better nuclear submarines. I "died" shortly afterward. I don't think I have what it takes to challenge him, though, and I doubt he knows I exist.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

I don't expect he'll come looking for me, so that's a plus.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Does killing me count?

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

The People of Freedom City, that sounds cheesy. My students, my job.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

Sometimes you just have to trust in yourself, can't say I've ever let me down.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

Bullies, people using their power (of any kind) to push people around, take from them.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

Intelligence and education, of course. But I love people who can speak and inspire others to greatness. I've got the education. The speech, not so much.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

The tendency of those with gifts, wealth, power, intelligence to look down on those without. I'm not proud, but I have at times condescended to my less intelligent classmates.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

No one knows about Robert Davis. I haven't told anyone that Atomic Bob is Bob Rutherford, I don't want too much scrutiny on that alias.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

I can take orders, but I'm not particularly familiar with team tactics.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

I'm still officially solo and keeping my secrets to myself until I find someone I can trust.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

I sporadically attend services at St. Stephen's and help out at the church when they need a hand maybe once every other month or so.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

Enrico Fermi, Daedalus

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

They've lived up to my expectation.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

I love it. So rewarding knowing that you're helping people. That and the adrenaline.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

I'd still rather be working in the lab. If I was able to safely do that, I might cut down on or even quit the hero job.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

I want to find a group of heroes I can work well with. Strength in numbers and all.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

In 20 years, I'd like to have made some progress professionally. Maybe get another degree as Bob Rutherford and do some low-key research.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

Losing my mind. I've always thought of that as my greatest asset, the thought of it slipping away... What can you do? Fight it, read more, teach more, write things down for another generation.

Is there anything you would give you life for?

I don't mind helping people, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to make that trade in the end.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

It's tough to get along without it. I'd take more, no question, but if you're not going to spend it, share it, i don't see what good it does you. Money doesn't mark success, it helps enable it.

How do you generally treat others?

I try to be nice. Help them out if they need it. Listen or talk if that's what they need.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

I try not to be too suspicious. I trusted the military to be a fair employer. They failed on that account.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

Rather introverted, trying to change that.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

I get a bit more introverted around women.

What are your most annoying habits?

I tend to accidentally start rambling about complex scientific topics.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

Did I mention bullies?

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

Give me a good New York style pizza, or a nice thick pork chop. Food is an end unto itself, if you're not going to enjoy it, why bother?

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

I drank a lot of Sam Adams at MIT, I try not to overdue it.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Cannoli from Dino's on the corner where I grow up.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Cabbage. I don't know how that qualifies as food.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

I prefer a dark blue. Nothing really to dislike.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

I grew up with the Beatles and Zeppelin on the radio, I keep them on my iPod. All music has its place, though.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

Do men have favorite scents?

Do you have a favorite animal?

I've been accused of being a crazy cat lady.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

Last year, some of my students gave me one of those Newton's Cradle desk toys. It's not much, you know? But it's really nice to know when they appreciate you. Or I guess my cats is they count as possessions.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I'll take the comforts I can get.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Tough to say never, can't think of anything.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

I go to church occasionally and I guess I believe. I don't really think about it much.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

No

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

Once or twice a month, maybe. I know a few of the regulars at St. Stephen's and they're quick to ask for help when something physical needs to be done. They're mostly trying to help people, so I help them. I can't say every piece of doctrine makes sense to me.

Could you kill? Have you killed?

I've never killed anyone. If I need to, to save innocents? It would be a tough choice, but I think I'd value innocents over a villain. Definately a last resort, though.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

It just seems logical. If I had to choose between a villain's life and an innocent's, or many innocents', I'm going to save the people who deserve it.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

Yes, if it's really the only way to stop someone who is clearly evil, and there are innocent lives at stake.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

Anger, sadness. I'd try to stop them and bring them in if I could. If the friend was the killer, that would be worse. I'd feel betrayed, but still have to bring them in.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

If I knew who it was, I'd see about taking it back.

How would you react to public humiliation?

Not well, I'd probably want to disappear.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

I've dealt with death before, it's not fun, but you've got to keep living your life. If it was intentional, I'm sure I'd hit the streets to bring them to justice.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

The worst of the bad? Mass murder, I guess. Just like murder but more.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

Talk to Jean

Visit my parent's graves

Find a home for my cats

Have a drink on a mountain peak, Everest maybe

Try to take down Hiroshima Shadow

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

When the military were trying to turn me into a weapon, they started by teaching me a few basic punches. Other than that, I've sort of learned on my own.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

You could say I'm not on speaking terms with the military.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

Not really

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

I teach physics at Thomas Edison High in North End. I used to do research on nuclear reactors.

What is your preferred combat style?

Fists first. If that doesn't work, maybe irradiation will.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

Not beyond the standard academic ones.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

I'd like to be more inspirational.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

I try to learn. I know I have my own gifts, so can't begrudge other people theirs.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

Go to work, feed the cats, a bit of a jog, read some magazines, watch Conan. I like to be adaptable, though. Changes in routine are usually a good thing.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

I still try to keep up on the latest science.

What do you do for fun?

Jog, watch Comets play

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

It's a basic green bodysuit with yellow highlights. Black boots and gloves and goggles. Some radiation symbols for accent.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

I wear suits for work. At home I prefer jeans and polos.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

I wear pajama pants and t-shirts. I've got a set of Freedom League pants too, Daedalus, Captain Thunder, Johnny Rocket, the whole bunch.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

No

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

No real valuables. Small safe for my important documents.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

I've got my old Honda Civic for local. Long distance, I fly myself (assuming no one is expecting to pick me up at an airport).

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

Not much in the way of assets. I made arrangements with a lawyer to have a letter delivered to my sister if I die.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

No

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

That I was a great teacher passing a thirst for science on to the next generation. That I was ready to stand and fight for my fellow man.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

No. My powers do emit radiation, but not enough to be dangerous outside of direct exposure, and I've never lost control of them.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My intelligence.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

Confidence as a speaker.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Remember that there is strength in numbers. Your abilities are impressive, but you'll find you need to rely on others more than you think. Seek out those friends and allies. Keep them close.