Atomic Bob (PL 10) - Thaumonuclear

Thaumonuclear: [floatr]aBob2.png[/floatr]

Atomic Bob:

Power Level: 10 (150/154p)

Trade-Offs: -2 Attack / +2 Damage, -2 Defense / +2 Toughness

Unspent Power Points: 4

Progress To Bronze Status: 4/30

In Brief: A scientist imbued with radiation. He has become strong and tough with abilities to bend radiation to his will.

Alternate Identity: Bob Rutherford (alias), Robert Davis

Identity: Secret

Birthplace: New York, NY

Occupation: High School Physics teacher, formerly Nuclear Physicist

Affiliations:

Family: Jean Davis (sister)

Description:

Apparent Age: 30

Ethnicity: Caucasian

Height: 6' 2"

Weight: 280 lbs

Eyes: Blue

Hair: Dark Brown

Bob Rutherford is a tall, powerfully built man in his 30s, with short-cut brown hair and steel-blue eyes. He wears a variety

of suits at his job as at a Freedom City public high school, but in his free time prefers casual jeans and polo shirts, or a

track suit.

As Atomic Bob, Bob seems to become even more muscular. His full costume consists of a full-length green body suit with yellow radiation symbols on his shoulders, black rubber goggles that make his eyes appear to glow green and black boots and gloves also displaying the radiation symbol.

Power Descriptions:

Atomic Bob can draw in the background radiation around him and bulk himself up considerably. He can then launch burst of yellowish radioactive energy that spreads out and saps the strength of his enemies, or spread a cloud of radioactive gas around himself to hurt them.

If he is targeting with radioactive attacks he can turn the energy around to recover from his own injuries, accompanies by a flash of yellow energy.

History:

Robert Davis was a brilliant young nuclear physicist working with the US military on a new generation of reactor for its nuclear submarines. During one of the project's early tests the reactor was attacked by Hiroshima Shadow, determined to end further nuclear research in America. Between leaks from the damaged reactor and the effects of Shadow's powers, Robert took what appeared to be a lethal dose of radiation, and he appeared to die in a hospital a week later.

To his surpise he awoke at his own funeral, and appeared to be fully recovered. The US military quickly covered up the whole incident and shipped Davis off to be studied.

Over the following weeks, Davis learned that the radiation had changed him extensively. As well as quickly healing the radiation damage, he found himself bulking up physically and becoming extremely strong and tough. He found he could feel radiation around him, being aware of the cosmic rays striking everything around him and the emissions from medical equipment and even smoke detectors. In addition he found that in the presence of radition sources he bend the power to his will.

When the military learned of this, they wasted little time in seeking to weaponize the young scientist. Davis, disenchanted with the military and unwilling to be a living weapon engineered an escape from the facility where he was being studied.

He lay low in Freedom City for several years, teaching at a high school under the alias Bob Rutherford, until a burglar broke into his apartment. Bob confronted the burglar and the confrontation became violent, but Bob was able to defend himself and deliver the burglar to the police. He found he quite enjoyed the thrill of the incident and realized he had a gift that could help people. Soon after he designed a costume and began a life of crimefighting.

His first interaction with the press went a little poorly, he reflexively identified himself as "Bob" before trying to correct himself. The reported dubbed him "Atomic Bob" and Bob found he rather liked the name so kept it.

Personality & Motivation:

Bob is a brilliant scientist with a thirst for learning and the loss of the reactor project still depresses him. He is enthusiastic about introducing young people to the worlds of science, but yearns to get back into the forefront of research again. Unfortunately he does not feel he can safely do so without exposing himself. He is affable and friendly with his students and with educated people who he can share his knowledge with, but still somewhat reserved in social settings, particularly around women.

Having grown up as a bookworm with little regard for physical activities, Bob was greatly surprised with the rush of excitement he got fighting his first burglar. He rationalizes his heroic career by saying that if he can't improve the world through scientific research he will use his abilities to improve the world by fighting crime, but mostly he loves the thrill of the fight.

Powers & Tactics:

The atomic exposure gave Atomic Bob great strength and durability and if things turn violent, his first impulse is to wade in with his fists for the direct assault.

When that doesn't work, or if trying to avoid direct violence, Bob can use his radiation sickness power to weaken a crowd of enemies and make them easier to handle. This forces him to concentrate and lower his guard, so he often employs this power from the air.

Atomic Bob's powers have made him immune to the harmful effects of further radiation, in fact he can absorb the energy to heal his injuries. His powers now allow him to "feel" the radiation around him, even at a distance.

Complications:

Secret Identity: Atomic Bob's life as Bob Rutherford would probably be complicated if his identity were known. But the more important secret is his other identity, Robert Davis, who is still hunted by the US military.

Power Loss: Most of Bob's powers will work just drawing from the background radiation and cosmic rays that exist nearly everywhere in the world. If he is contained in an area with a truly low level of radiation he loses access to all his powers.

Day Job: School is held every day, whether there's an outbreak of supervillainy or not. Bob has to carefully manage his sick-days to protect his teaching job.

Abilities: 6 + 2 + 10 + 8 + 2 + 0 = 28PP

Strength: 34/16 (+12/+3)

Dexterity: 12 (+1)

Constitution: 34/20 (+12/+5)

Intelligence: 18 (+4)

Wisdom: 12 (+1)

Charisma: 10 (+0)

Combat: 16 + 16 = 32PP

Initiative: +1

Attack: +8 Melee, +8 Ranged

Grapple: +20/+11 (Without enhanced strength)

Defense: +8 (+8 Base, +0 Dodge Focus), +4 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -6

Saving Throws: 0 + 8 + 9 = 17PP

Toughness: +12/+5 (+5 Con, +7 Enhanced Con)

Fortitude: +12 (+5 Con/+7 Enhanced Con, +0)

Reflex: +9 (+1 Dex, +8)

Will: +10 (+1 Wis, +9)

Skills: 20R = PP

Intimidate 4 (+4)

Knowledge(Physical Science) 10 (+14)

Knowledge(Technology) 2 (+6)

Feats: 5PP

All-out Attack

Improved Aim

Interpose

Power Attack

Startle

Powers: 23 + 14 + 10 + 3 + 10 + 3 = 62P

Atomic Power (21PP Array; Feats: Alternate Power 2) [23PP]

Base Power: Drain 10 (Strength) (Radiation Sickness; Extras: Area [shapeable, 10 5x5' blocks], Range [Ranged]; Flaws: Action[Full Round]; Feats: Slow Fade){21/21}

Alternate Power:

Enhanced Strength 18(Atomic Strength; Feats: Improved Pin) (to STR 34/+12)

Super Strength 1 (Max lift 5.6 tons) {21/21}

Alternate Power: Damage 10 (Radioactive Gas; Extras: Area [50-foot Cloud]; Feats Subtle ) (21/21)

Enhanced Constitution 14 (to CON 34/+12) [14pp]

Flight 5 (250mph) [10pp]

Healing 1 ( Radiation Absorption; Extras: Action [Reaction, Attacked by Radiation Effect]; Flaws Personal; ) [3pp]

Immunity 10 (Radiation Effects(Common)) [10pp]

Super-Senses 3 (Detect Radiation(Auditory), Ranged, Action[Free]) [3pp]

DC Block

ATTACK        RANGE                SAVE                          EFFECT

Unarmed       Touch                DC27 Toughness (Staged)       Damage (Physical)

Drain         Ranged (10 5x5)      DC20 Fortitude (Staged)       Drain Strength

Rad. Gas      Touch (50' radius)   DC25 Toughness (Staged)       Damage (Energy)

Totals: Abilities (28) + Combat (32) + Saving Throws (17) + Skills (5) + Feats (5) + Powers (63) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/154 Power Points

Okay. While your Enhanced STR and CON meet caps, working on a -2 ATT/+2 DMG and -2 DEF/+2 TOU trade-off... nothing else does. I understand "practical telekinesis" that works at a STR 15, but Paralyze 3 can be broken easily, and the other powers, while more reasonable, are still undercapped in both directions and require an active source of radiation. And I'm guessing that doesn't exactly mean "sunlight" or "microwave oven."

Honestly, it might be better to combine the Enhanced STR with the other powers in the form of one giant Array. That way, you'd have 32 points to play around with before you brought in the Alternate Power Feats. And if you could fold in a few more points, you could link Enhanced STR to something like Impervious Toughness 10 with the Reflective (radiation) Extra for 20 points. I would also recommend against limiting most of your Ranged attacks to when you're standing at ground zero, and don't really see how control over radiation leads to telekinesis. Drain, yes, Corrosion, yes, Telekinesis, no. I would recommend a few radioactive builds by the Ref Team for other possible AP ideas.

Thanks for the input. The idea was more that he took power from the radiation than that he manipulated it. But on more thought I like the budding radiation controller idea better.

Replaced the arrays entirely and the undercapped powers. Switched more of the strength to enhanced strength and put it in the array. Had an extra point to put in the interpose feat.

I think I like the reaction healing idea better than trying to make powers that only turn on around radiation (hard to do a character that gets stronger in rare circumstances).

Double-check your math on the Abilities pp cost - I count 28pp, not 32. Looks like the math was correct at the very bottom of the sheet, just not up in the abilities summary itself.

Please note his base grapple, in addition to the enhanced strength version.

The Tactile sense comes with +Acute built-in - no need to have it on the Detect Radiation power if that detect is tied to the Tactile sense. Taking Acute out will get you 1pp to do something fun with.

I approve of a character with the same name as my toddler! The abilities that potentially make him a danger to everyone around him give him that particular feel of authenticity.

You've got a lot of people looking at your sheet now, so I'll let them handle it. I'll give you an

APPROVAL now so you can jump right into play once they have a chance to fix it.

My one suggested change is that you drop his Healing to 1 rank; with CON 34 he succeeds on all his DC 10 Recovery checks anyway, and you could easily spend those points on other things.

Likewise, looking over the Array, some advice:

If your character is working on team-ups, they might want to either try for an Area Shapeable or Area Burst w/ Selective Attack on the Drain Strength.

Might help to throw in a few Feats (along the lines of Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2 and Incurable or Penetrating 3) or a rank of Super-Strength to fill out the "Atomic Strength" power.

I'll just raise the profession skill - it is rarely used or needed on this site and you could, probably should, do without as it won't be used!

Tactile senses for radiation detect. There is no concealment power against tactile, however insubstantial would conceal against it. I raise this for others to comment on, but the detect radiation power as it stand would probably detect irradiated objects, but not incorporeal radiation. Might be worth choosing another modality?

On a practical note the drain strength with no slow fade feat is a headache to keep track of. Purely for ease, I would suggest adding a rank of slow fade or changing it to an effect like nauseate. Just a suggestion for ease of play!

Apologies for bumping in but my main point was to stop you wasting a PP on profession! It caught me eye! :D

Thanks everyone for all the input, I hope I'm not taking too much of anyone's time. My previous experience with M&M is 3rd edition, and I was GMing so making efficient point-builds wasn't important.

Tactile senses for radiation detect. There is no concealment power against tactile, however insubstantial would conceal against it. I raise this for others to comment on, but the detect radiation power as it stand would probably detect irradiated objects, but not incorporeal radiation. Might be worth choosing another modality?

I still find the sense rule confusing. Detect says it is by default not ranged, which implies to me it doesn't pick up all the qualities of its sense type. But Fox says it would be pick up Acute from Tactile.

I guess Visual makes most sense then. I assume it wouldn't pick up Accurate unless I spent points there?

• 4 months later...