Twilight Tag(IC)

Ari

Blodeuwedd there was something comforting about the general chatter going on around the table. It was a nice change from the rapid improvising she had gotten use to in Freedom City. She was In a strange situation, she was still there junior in age and the order, but she had also seen and done thing that none others had experienced. And there was Subito, it shouldn’t have bothered her what he thought about her, but for some reason she really wanted him to still think of him as the cool kick ass woman. It wouldn’t hurt to make a few observations here and there.

<â€Is it to late to sooth the beast back into slumber? If not is it worth trying to subdue the creature until we can find the Twylyth Teg and break there enchantment?â€>

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

Agent Branwen gave Blodeuwedd's question evident thought before replying <"I don't think it's too late Blodeuwedd. We would need someone who can search for it underwater though. That and we don't really have very much in the way of scuba gear."> she shrugged, tilting her bowler hat further back on her head <"If you could find some way of approaching the beast in its own domain, I'm sure you could find a way to calm it. Unless you want to emulate the girl who let it sleep in her lap and was crushed, that is!"> she added with a merry laugh.

<"Don't be so flippant, Branwen"> chided one of the other agents, a younger version of the Supervisor with fine blond hair and bleak brown eyes <"Anyway, agent, I agree with most of what agent Branwen says, though I think it best to simply set a trap for the Otherworlders, get them to stop this foolishness by whatever bargains or threats need be made, and get back to our regular business."> He took a long sip of coffee, glancing with a dark look at the lake glittering far below the picnickers <"Many urgent matter shave been put aside for this rot."> Branwen rolled her eyes <"Nisien, Afancs waking up don't mean we'll all be here trying to get them back to sleep. This is just a brainstorming session, most of us will be here just a day or two, and you can get back to undoing your mazes or wood wheels or whatever it is you do"> she followed Nisien's gaze to the water <"Maybe it's being affected like this because it feels the change of the waters in its home? They're very sensitive things, I've read.">

Inspecting the picture of the Llyn Brenig afanc with great curiosity, Subito's eyes widened as he realized what he was looking at. 'Holy...that thing must be big!' 'Be not disheartened. Many things larger than you are weaker than you.' He nodded for no obvious reason, glanced around nervously in case anyone had seen, and turned hurriedly back to the generous and healthy meal before him while the talk resumed.

Sipping experimentally at a glass of fruit juice(which was accurately named, no single fruit was represented in it), Subito listened with quick ears to the conversation brewing around him, growing more and more interested as he heard what Branwen said, pausing with a slice of apple pie halfway to his mouth when she said

<"I don't think it's too late Blodeuwedd. We would need someone who can search for it underwater though. That and we don't really have very much in the way of scuba gear.">

Without hesitation he turned to the woman, saying eagerly "Hey, uh..with my powers, I can go underwater without drowning! I-I'm pretty strong too, I could go in there and get you the afanc, and then you guys could calm it down or cage it until these fairy guys are dealt with!"

He looked excitedly at Blodeuwedd "What d'you think Blodeu? Could I?"

It was the old tension between the warriors and the seers. As an infiltration expert she needed knowledge of the Arcane side of their business, so she straddled the line between the two sides. It didn’t help that one of the two warrior here would probably have inherited Dyrnwyn if it hadn’t been for the Seers prediction of possible doom.

She couldn’t help but give a grin at Subito’s pure enthusiasm. Whilst she could appreciate the cold logical method of the Order, his can do attitude was infectious.

“I’m sure you can If we could capture the Afanc not only could we subdue the beast we might be able to trace the magic used back to its source. It unlikely that they would use magic from the Otherside, its different time flows would make control difficult. If we’re lucky they’ll have a link here in Wales."

GM

There had been a lull in the conversation among the Amddiffynnwr seated at the tables closest to Blodeuwedd and Subito, several eyes turned their way at the unusual and unexpected offer, and the young agent's elaboration and suggestion. Supervisor Medraut had been paying close attention throughout, saying warmly "An intriguing plan, children. One that, if successful would work out splendidly for us all." Wiping his lips with a napkin that he then tucked under the edge of his plate he set down his knife and fork. <"I am, of course, expecting that Subito will be fully briefed on the afanc's capabilities and habits, agent Blodeuwedd"> he added with a stern look towards the girl in question <"Something as delicate as this requires a thorough understanding of the situation, something I know you excel at"> he smiled kindly before returning his attention back to the meal at hand.

The picnic went on for another hour or so, with the parties finishing by twos and fours, clearing their dishes and garbage into bags or coolers, and beginning the short hike down to the lake...

She couldn’t help but feel a flush of pride at the Supervisors comments. Whilst she had supervised her own ops, with varying degrees of success, but this was her first official operation. But whilst she was beaning on the inside she kept her demeanour neutral.

“What you got to understand about creatures like the Afanc is that are much things of myth as much as they’re creatures of flesh and blood. In some ways more so. They tend to act in certain way’s not out of some instincts but because that the way the stories say they at.â€

Whilst they finished off their picnic she told Subito some of the legends about the various Afanc’s that inhabited Wales, including a few that had never been recorded anywhere else

Subito listened avidly, well used to the idea of being given an important job as a chance to prove oneself. 'She did say at the bar that she hadn't exactly gone on many missions' he thought while jotting down a few notes on a napkin "So, wait. They can grow that big?" he asked in astonishment, staring down at the lake below "...Whoa. Um, I'm glad we don't need t'fight anything as fearsome as that!"

He was a quick study about the strange aquatic creatures, making sure to ask as many questions as he could think of. He didn't want to jeopardize something like this just because he wanted to get to the hunting.

GM

The lesson by necessity carried on down the hill, the Order agents packing up neatly after themselves, taking their usual deft care not to leave any evidence of their passing, with the very grass springing back up from under their feet as they processed down the hillside towards the glittering body of water below. As they came closer to their destination, Blodeuwedd and Subito could make out the forms of small boats and a few catamarans plying the lake. After an around thirty minutes brisk walk, the group arrived at a small parking lot where the Amddiffynnwrs deposited their picnicking supplies in a few waiting vehicles before making their way down through the woods to the water's edge. Supervisor Medraut took out a stubby cigar and lit it, taking a deep draught before blowing out the incense-like smoke with relish, the sunlight seeming to jump and leap about the lake. He turned to Blodeuwedd <"I and agent Branwen will attempt to..disturb the spell over the lake. That will awaken the Afanc, which agent Nisien and LlÅ·r will render invisible to the people on and around the water. A scheduled disturbance involving a herd of deer will draw the attention of the local rangers away. Meanwhile, your friend here"> he gestured to Subito with the hand holding the cigar <"will enter the lake and engage the creature. Bring it back whole and alive, and we will get it to a holding cage we have prepared and invisible here"> he tapped something neither of them could see just above his head <"and inspect the Afanc for whatever signs of tampering we can. The make of the spell that grasps at its brain would be most helpful, something I believe your Chessboard would be excellently suited to doing"> he smiled brightly at Blodeuwedd and Subito, another wreath of smoke curling out over the lake.

"Do either of you have any questions?"

It seemed like a sensible and straight forward plan, after all she’d suggested the basics, so it probably wouldn’t survive contact with the enemy. Whilst the order encourage a certain amount of creative planning, especially Taid who seemed to thrive on it, it also taught it’s agent to be aware of their limitations.

“Do we have any kind of backup plan in case something goes awry? Even if it is just the maiden defence.â€

She was by her nature a fairly pragmatic kind of person and if you had an ability that would assist in a plan she would be the first to volunteer the fact. But something about admitting around Subito that she was a suitable candidate for the part of the Maiden made her blush.

The only experience Subito had had with planning to catch mystical creatures were childhood fantasies about slaying fierce dragons, the lack in tactical insight made up by his eager defiance of all common sense. So he listened with great interest as the Supervisor outlined the plan Cerys' family had drawn up for catching the lake monster, watching the small boats bobbing up and down on the body of water. He took casual glances every now and then at the faces of the other Family members, curious to see what they thought of the plan, and thus caught sight of Cerys's face reddening after she mentioned something called the 'maiden defence'. He frowned slightly and turned back to the water, that reaction triggering a new influx of doubts about what the Order was like. To her he said jocularly "Don't worry Cerys, I bet you'd be a great maiden!" 'If she gets all shy like that just after makin' a suggestion, does that mean they don't like it when people do much in the way of questioning the leadership? I need to try and think this through... That is not what I would have thought of focusing on, but not a bad idea Subito. Practice of contemplation can only be good Hey..if I asked her out, do you think she'd say "Yes"? ...Herald. behave yourself. She's an agent on a very important mission, and right now so are you. If you wish, go ahead and ask her out after this, but if she says no then don't pester her'

He started suddenly as he remembered that Medraut had asked if he had any questions, flashing a brilliant smile at the Supervisor he answered "I don't have any, sir, though I agree with Ce-I mean, Blodeu; I'm interested in hearin' what you plan to do if some part of this setup this doesn't work out"

GM

A slight raise of the left eyebrow was the only change that came over Medraut's face as he observed the junior agent and her friend. Removing the cigar from between his teeth he gestured at the far(north-western) side of the Llyn with it. In a bland one he explained <"if I and the other practitioners here cannot tweak the nose of the Otherworlder spell as we usually do">(he winked discreetly at Blodeuwedd) <"then we will have a small team of magicians on the other shore assist us, activating the spell and rousing the Afanc. If the deer get caught before they can create the needed time window, we have four other different distractions to keep the rangers occupied, none of which will pose the least danger to them or anyone else. We have several other cages prepared if this one doesn't hold, and if Subito can't get it to shore..."> he spread his hands with a shrug <"I am afraid that is the weak link in our plan. We were merely going to draw it here with some electric pulses, a proven attractor for them, not go diving into the lake, and thus we weren't considering much in the way of defence, let alone the archaic ones involving maidens. If you would like to volunteer for that post agent Blodeuwedd,"> he added with a dry smile <"I would give you full marks for creativity, and keep that in mind for later missions.">

Blodeuwedd gave Subio what she hoped was a withering look “You remember that conversation we had about saying we’re looking for some Afanc? Well telling a woman she makes a good Maiden is in much the same category.†A slight smile at the end suggested she wasn’t entirely serious “It’s not a condition I plan on keeping for the long term Supervisor Medraut, not that I’m currently in a hurry to fix the problem.â€

She then took a look across the water, taking in the position of everything in relation to themselves and the plan “Well unless I can walk on water, and I’m sure the Reverent wouldn’t be happy if I did, either way I’m going to wait at the shore. Being in a boat around a large monster seems a recipe for disaster.â€

'Wait. So, "Maiden" to her means...'

Subtio's chipper smile melted into a look of pure, red-faced mortification despite Cerys' hint that she wasn't really chastising him, quickly followed by a hurried and apologetic "I..uh, yeah. Sorry 'bout that, didn't know it..uhm..." to Cerys before he turned back to the Supervisor, saying "I won't fail you, sir. I'll land you that Afanc!" he took off his socks and shoes and stepped up to his ankles in the cold water, scanning the dark, undulating mass for a possible sign of his quarry, turning back to the Order agents to say "Just tell me when to go, and I'll go get your lake monster."

'Get ready to transform...'

GM

A few good-natured laughs at Subito's blunder escaped from the solemn pack of Protectors, a trace of a dry smile flitting over Medraut's face as he replied to Blodeuwedd <"In that case I would advise you to have little do do with our lusty gallant here Agent. He might get ideas contrary to yours.">

"We will start in four minutes, Subito" he said cheerily to the Puerto Rican teen "the disturbance will start two minutes from now, and then we will try our hand at warping this Otherworlder magic. Stand ready.." he looked to his watch for a while, suddenly taking his ringing phone from its pocket and listening to a short burst of syllables that filtered electronically through it. Nodding to Subito he declared "The game's afoot, commence Operation Den Wrangler! Good luck El Heraldo, return in one piece. It would be improper to disappoint on your first mission." he said, snapping the phone shut, pointing imperiously towards the centre of the lake as he began to quietly perform a spell in Welsh that rippled the water and hastened the wind as far as either of the students could see, Branwen's voice adding to the rushing wind and water, causing a faint roar like an angry stone to ring in Subito's powerful ears, followed by the sound of scales dragging on the lake bed.

A sharp note like discordant music, and the agents of the Order were seemingly the only people as far as the eye could see. Medraut smiled <"We've done it! It's awake, and will begin searching for what disturbed it. With the separation spell laid we'll avoid all detection. Be careful not to go too far,"> he added warningly <"we stand at the shore of the Otherworld of the Twylyth Teg. Closer to them than to ours, in fact. Follow the roars, Heraldo. They will lead you straight to the Afanc!">

In the few second she had before everything started off she came to a decision, it was rather impulsive for her but it seemed to fit the moment. Without a second’s pause she lent over and gave Subito a little peck on the cheek.

“For luck If this all goes to plan I guess I owe you lunch again. I know this little diner off Cardiff bay.†She gave him a shy little smile, for that moment she looked like a normal sixteen year old girl.

Then it was gone and her face took on its normal stern visage. She drew Dyrnwyn and took on a relaxed but ready for trouble stance.

Subito's eyes lit up at Medraut's words, he turned to where he could sense the distant sounds were coming from, gripping his shirt with one hand as he took a deep breath 'It's time! Oh Dame, I call on you-'

Then Cerys kissed him.

“For luck If this all goes to plan I guess I owe you lunch again. I know this little diner off Cardiff bay.†She gave him a shy little smile, for that moment she looked like a normal sixteen year old girl.

Then it was gone and her face took on its normal stern visage. She drew Dyrnwyn and took on a relaxed but ready for trouble stance.

There was a brief stillness as the strongly-built teen processed what had happened, standing half-tensed and barefoot in the lake, leaning slightly forward '-you..on your. Okay, now I can't fail for real. O Blue Dame? Yes Subito?' raising his right hand he said aloud "I ask for your power, O Dama Azul de la Puerto Rico" 'It is granted! Go forth, my Herald!' with a flash of light the Banner of Victory appeared in his outstretched right hand. under his left his clothes rippled, flew to pieces and reassembled as the dashing and colourful costume of El Heraldo! Turning back to Cerys he smiled at her from the cloth mask, saying "My thanks, Blodeu. I will come back with the lake monster, and to return your kind favor" he said with a wink, saluting her before turning back to and darting under the water with his luminous golden fog. He soared through the dark lake, eyes and ears alert for his quarry, and empowered muscles ready to wrestle with the beast to its defeat!

GM

The noise-carrying properties of water are well-known, this and the young paragon's powerful hearing soon detected the oncoming rush of the Afanc, which revealed itself with a deep-throated growl before rushing around him in a current of steely muscles and hard scales surmounted with a glimpse of a monstrous beaver's head. Taking a moment to observe its challenger, it eyed him for a few seconds and then swung its tail with terrific force against the boy's mantled skin, seeking to break the bones that lay underneath it!

Blodeuwedd was the first to notice it, but soon the other agents of the Order could hear it too: a silvery laugh that echoed up from the lake when a sudden explosion seemed to go off in the deep water, caught and echoed by other voices around the group. Medraut looked up from the small page he was reading with a look of dread. He quickly smoothed it away into a placid cheeriness, saying <"Well! It looks like the Twylyth Teg have less faith in your friend than we do. I look forward to their surprise"> he added with a shaky smile, but he glanced back to the roiling patch of water ever few seconds all the same.

The blow to his side nearly overpowered Heraldo, and for a horrible moment his vision dimmed...but with a flare of gold and a rallying shout that rang through the water, he repelled the attack, kicking aside the weighty tail before launching at the thing's pale underbelly. "Gragh! Hold still, buddy, just need to get my arms around you..." he muttered, nearly missing the surprisingly elusive beast entirely before changing course at the last moment and wrapping his powerful arms and legs around the Afanc's sides, clasping his hands together and crossing his legs behind its back, gritting his teeth and letting a slow stream of bubbles from his mouth as he flexed his strong young muscles to keep the hideous monster from escaping him.

This close to the Afanc he could hear it's pounding heart and the catch of its breathing, the creak of its skin and the rush of its blood. Sensing the attempt to escape just before it began El Heraldo nimbly shifted his grip, sliding closer and closer against it and nearer and nearer its wide-eyed head and growling mouth, hugging it tighter and tighter, his red-gloved hands catching at the gaps in its iron scales and his boots holding him snugly to its belly. "You..will not...escape me" he forced out from his mouth, preparing for the long haul back to shore with his mythical prisoner...

Blodeuwedd couldn’t help but give a little smile. <“Many have made the mistake of underestimating him. It’s his straight forward manner that causes people to do so, doesn’t mean he doesn’t say stupid things sometime. Though he’ll keep his word and reveal nothing about the Order..â€> she gave a small frown <â€There nothing going on between us Supervisor, we’re just friends. And I know he isn’t the one the Seer warned us about.â€>

It was hard to make out everything that was going on in the water, just flashes or limbs and large plumes of water. She got herself ready mentally and pulled her goggles down over her eyes.

GM

It took a bit of a struggle, the Afanc rolling around in the water and flailing with all its stubby legs and thrashing with its tail, but at last it weakened and grew more pliable, its movements at last stopping while its labored breathing pushed gusts of water through its gills. It resisted only feebly as it was dragged towards the shore, the brief fight seeming to have knocked most of the spirit out of it. The tremendous splashes in the lake stopped, turning into the slow v-shape of something traveling with great speed under the water, the young paragon heading for shore. He was halfway back when the ship rose out of the water below him, a sleek white barge holding several Fey holding spears in their hands and wearing decorative armor standing before a richly ornamented throne on which was seated a narrow-faced woman with deep blue robes, who glanced imperiously at Heraldo and the Afanc lying in great confusion on the deck, streaming lake water over the cool white wood. At a nod from her, one of the armored Fey stepped forward and, holding her spear over the soaked duo spoke something in a voice that rang out through the still air. With a flash of light, the two disappeared from view.

There was silence among the Order before Nisien spoke <"I could bring that ship over. Let me-"> <"That will not be necessary, I think"> Medraut interrupted quietly <"They are coming here"> indeed, the barge was sailing over towards the shore the Order agents were standing on among the trees. The long oars glinted with gold and gems, sweeping deeply into the lake and propelling the ship serenely along.

The laughter had stopped as well.

<“Well I guess we don’t have to try and track down the Twylyth Teg.â€> With thing the threat finally revealed she was now all business. She tried to gather as much information about them before they arrived at the shore, especially if they have any weapons or offensive magic’s prepared <â€Do we have any treaties with the Twylyth Teg of Conwy? And do they insist on any ceremonies when greeting others?â€>

She was also worried if they would do anything to harm Subito, but she fought the feeling down. Right now she had to concentrate on making sure that everyone was kept as safe as possible.

GM

<"Yes, this is definitely helpful for that."> agreed Branwen nervously, tilting back her bowler hat as she examined the incoming boat <"As for pacts and treaties..we have the usual nonaggression pacts and an agreement to guide any members of the others' world that get lost back home, but none of the 'special' treaties. This makes no sense, they shouldn't have any reason to do this, or the power to pull it off..."> she bit her lip as she scanned the painfully slow barge <"They follow a very strict 'speak only when spoken to' code of conduct, with the most important speaking before their right hand can speak, then their left and so on. Mr. Medraut will have to negotiate here, unless he delegates that to one of us."> <"I dare say that will be Nisien, he has the most experience dealing with the Otherworld. If this is the Queen of Conwy's new hunting round, we will be in rather deep trouble regardless"> said Cigfa dourly.

With a creak of oars, the barge came to within twenty metres of the shore, the seated woman smiling pleasantly at the humans on the shore "I bid you welcome, Defenders of the Line of Lleu Llaw Gyffes. What brings you to my realm?"

Gulping a little, Medraut adopted a friendly smile and called back <"We thank you for your kind greeting, O Queen. We have merely come here to rid you of a troublesome pest to you, an Afanc that had awakened and begun to cause problems that must have troubled even your magnificence."> She raised her right hand, and the Fey who had caused Subito and the lake monster to vanish said in a voice that echoed across the lake "We were preparing to hunt the Afanc ourselves when your agent trespassed into the royal Court. He shall be held until he has understood his crime and rendered appropriate service" she raised her left hand, and the other armored Fey declared "If you wish, you may see him, and know for yourselves he is being treated without cruelty." The Otherworlders looked at the Supervisors expectantly. Medraut forced himself to look calm, glancing suddenly at Blodeuwedd and raising his right hand, muttering to her <"We need to get both your schoolmate and the Afanc out, we still don't know what the spell is and we need to protect against it.">

Gwyddbwyll Gwenddoleu ap Ceidio, or just Gwyddbwyll were more than just a pair of Night Vision goggles. There specially crafted lenses, which glowed an eerie green, allowed Blodeuwedd to see magical energies. And what she saw right now, a literal dread floating over the lake, did not fill her confidence. She used the circumstances to step back to beside Branwen and offered her Gwyddbwyll.

â€I think you should see this, I think we might all be being played.†She whispered to Branwen in English this time, many of the Fae didn’t bother to learn any language beyond the original Celtic tongue.

GM

Putting a hand on the younger Agent's shoulder, stepping backwards into the crowd and neatly donning the Gwyddbwyll over her hat, Agent Branwen peered briefly though the lenses, scanning the lake for a moment before she breathed in sharply "Yes, that would seem to be the case. I'll try and bring the conversation around to..well, to that" she said, gesturing discreetly at the rictus hanging invisibly above the lake. Turning back to the barge she advanced into her old place, watching the Otherworlders on the boat and glancing every now and then at where she had seen the ones standing among the trees. Medraut signaled again to Branwen, this time downright savagely, saying pointedly <"My right hand will proceed">. Giving him a quick placating smile the Agent adjusted her hat and spoke to the queen <"O Queen, I am called Branwen. We were unaware that you had obtained this lake from the Prince, and I promise you that we had no intentions other than to remove the troublesome animal"> she smiled at the crisp woman hopefully <"if you will allow it, we will send a delegation to retrieve the Afanc and our..associate as soon as you will give your permission.">

There was a long silence broken only by the shuffling feet of the Order agents and the splashes of the barge oars.

"We will grant it. On the condition that you bring something of equal worth. They are both my property now, after all. I will leave this" she removed a ring from her finger and threw it onto the shore where it bounced and sparkled to a halt "until you are ready. Throw it back into the water when you have come to your decision of what to bring in exchange. Now, if any of you have any desires , speak them now. I grant you all permission to proclaim" she added magnanimously.

Despite the Queens assertion that anyone could ask a boon, it seemed prudent to still go through Medraut. She leaned in and whispered in his ear.

“I think someone should go and explain to Subito what’s happening exactly. I not he’s bound to do something stupid like try and escape. Beside me and Branwen have found out something you need to see.â€

It was a logical decision, she knew Subito enough to know what he’d try and do. The less logical part of her brain wanted her to be chosen to give him the message, but she’d accept her supervisors’ decision. It was how she had been trained after all.