Spanner in the Works (IC)

The helmeted hero scanned the surroundings before returning his attention to his teammate. << At the very least we must disable the ship and contact the authorties. Then it will be a matter of making sure that the perpetrators cannot escape the confines of this ship. >> He pointed at the massive bridge superstructure of the boat. << I will disable the ship if you make your way to the radio shack. Whatever attention you draw you can then use my actions to make your escape. Then we will regroup here. >>

Looking at his heads-up-display, he surfed the availiable radio frequencies to see if he could tap into the enemy comm channel. Sucess. << Enemy channel is 118.23 MHz. I am using 112.84 MHz for our frequency. >> Myrmidon placed his hand on his chestplate, and his armor shifted into a heavier, yet more streamlined shape obviously meant for underwater work. Placing a leg over the side, he silently slid over the rail and dropped into the water below with a muffled splash. He treaded water for a few seconds, giving his teamate a thumbs up before disappearing under the waves << Call if you need anything. >>

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

Wisp easily snuck past the vew sentries and cameras as she made her way to the bridge, her extensive stealth training letting her practically move unhidered throughout the boat. The bridge itself was abuzz with activity as a group of four were being ordered about by an older gentleman, obviously the captian of the vessel. The crew was armed, with sidearms holstered as the moved about the bridge. The captain himself was in the middle of a call, his hand on his headset.

"Yes. Ma'am. About five minutes. Understood Ma'am." With that, he cancelled the call and moved forward and pressed the loudhailer. "Attention all hands. Rig for Dive." The microphone was returned to its cradle. "Simmons, plot a course NNE. Tucker, get me confirmation that those birds are secure."

A chorus of "Yessirs!" followed as Wisp tried to ID the radio amoungst the plethora of switches and dials.

Glancing around the bridge, the vast array of control stations and glowing screens gave her pause. In the time it'll take me to find the radio, I'll be spotted and probably shot. Nothing for it then, she mentally muttered before rising from her hiding spot and in a series of blows she had rendered the bridge crew unconscious.

Not wanting to take any risks, she made sure the doors were closed and secured, then she made her way about the fallen sailors, confiscating their still holstered sidearms. Once she had the pile of guns, she began looking for the radio.

GM

The radio was relatively easy to find, since one of the crew members that she had introduced to the deck plating headfirst was stationed in front of it. It was a digital affair, with a host of buttons and dials. Most importantly though, it had a red 'emergency call' button covered with a plastic flip-top cap in to ward off accidental activation. Her commlink flared to life before she could operate anything though.

<< Myrmidon here. Explosives in place to cripple the steering, ready to detonate on your signal. When you radio in inform the responders that this vessel has what appear to be torpedo tubes. Over. >>

Outside, Wisp could see various crew members dashing back and forth lashing down unattended items or double-checking those that were.

Wisp tapped the communications device resting in her ear, "Copy that Myrmidon. I'm on the bridge, five hostiles down and disarmed. I was just about to hit the emergency call button, see who I could raise. Hopefully it doesn't end up like that scene from Die Hard with a Vengeance . Not sure if you can tell from out there but from the way they were talking before I knocked them out, this thing can go underwater."

Releasing the send button on her link, she picked up the radio's handset, flipped the plastic cover off, and pressed the button. "Hello, hello? Can anyone hear me?"

GM

<< Copy that. It is more than likely there are other defensive systems present on a submersible this large, which will need to be disabled for their safety when they intervene. I will investigate further. >>

The radio was silent for a few seconds aside from a few crackles of noise. -- This is Lonely Point Coast Guard Command, I'm reading you loud and clear Ma'am. What is the nature of your emergency? -- Wisp could hear footsteps pounding away on the deckplates. The door to the bridge was half open and she saw a few men move by as the crew moved about in preparations. There was no way to guess when someone might stumble onto her current location or security might wise up to the situation.

As Wisp was listening to the radio she heard the faint buzzing of a small electric motor. Looking to see where it was coming from she noticed the security camera pointing at her position. Turning to face it fully she smiled and waved with her free hand before explaining to the Coast Guard's operator who she was, their location, and what was happening. She made sure to mention the apparently ferrokinetic mercenary and the woman running the show and to warn them that likely some of the guards were able to fire the phosphorous grenades.

When she was done, she strolled over the camera, and wrenched it, mounting and all, from the wall. Turning to look into the lens she said, "One chance, surrender now and this ends peacefully. Make me fight you and I pull out all the stops." To emphasis her point, she then crushed the camera.

GM

A second alarm joined the dive klaxon, overlapping into a maelstrom of noise. Intruder Alert, Intruder Alert the message repeated. The radios on the unconscious crew members crackled to life, directing squads to intercept Wisp. The initial confusion was quickly silenced along with the alarms, as a voice she recognized as the Forman barked into the radio. "I'll handle her lads. There was two of them on the bridge, give me a deck to deck sweep to make sure there's not another hero skulking around."

Looking out the window of the bridge, Wisp watched as one of the cranes lifted up the Foreman seemingly of its own volition and began swinging to pick up momentum. Seconds later, he was holding onto the railing on the walkway in front of the bridge. "Well now, missy, I wasn't expecting to see you again quite so soon. I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave." He shouted at her, with a huge grin plastered across his face making it abundantly clear that he was having fun.

Wisp looked over at the big man, "So, that's a no to the surrender then? Okay." She tapped her commlink, "Myrmidon, remember what we just discussed? This is my signal. I've got company so I might be out of communication for a minute, it's the big guy from the bridge."

She slid into a defensive stand, motioned for the Forman to 'come get some' before blasting one of the control panels with a burst of crackling blue and black energy. "Coast Guard's on their way and I'm in the perfect place to cripple this ship... Let's go jerk."

GM

<< Brace for impact. >> was the terse reply.

The foreman adopted a look of mock hurt. "Now why do you have to resort to name callin'. It isn't polite!" His expression went back to the grin. "Anyways, I'm known as Sabot and you'd best prepare yourself for an abject lesson, little missy." He began to vault over the rail...when the ship lurched to the starboard with a massive BOOM!. A veritable wall of water slammed over the bridge, knocking crew and cargo around and overboard before the ship rocked back portside. The combination of the shifting deckplates and the water caused Sabot to lose his grip and Wisp saw him slam into deck facefirst with a hollow TWHACK! Wisp herself was nearly thrown to the ground, the warning and her acrobatics skills preventing a header into the deck.

Damage alarms rang out, and half of the green lights on the bridge flicked over to reds and yellows. Just outside the window, Wisp could make out Sabot groggily regaining his feet lower on the deck.

Wisp calmly tapped her commlink once she had her feet back under her, "Impressive boom there Myr. Keep an eye out for falling containers. Once I'm done with this guy, I'll throw some life vests to the guys who fell overboard."

Turning her attention back to the fallen mercenary her eyes narrowed and in plume of smoke she vanished only to reappear in his face. "That, Sabot, was the ship's rudder being destroyed. Probably some of the propeller to given the force of the ship wrecking kaboom," she said, the last words coming out similar to a certain cartoon Martian's voice. "Such a shame you didn't surrender when you had the chance," she continued as she leveled a series of punches and kicks into him, the final blow knocking him fully through one container and into the next.

"Also, stealing isn't very polite either," she taunted.

GM

A loud screeching noise of metal under heavy stress was the only indication that Sabot was somehow still up, followed by an armored fist grabbing the sides of the container he had been thrown through. What stepped through was both anachronistic and futuristic, namely Sabot encased head to toe in full plate that looked to be made out of impervium of all things. The armored figure stretched his neck to work the kinks out with the accompanied noise of metal crumpling and reshaping itself.

"Well now, that is indeed a problem. I'll have to hammer out replacement rudder by hand." He mimed dusting himself off. "Aye, it is a shame that the only vocation I am good at tends to be frowned upon in polite company. Still, those blighters do have insurance." Sabot jumped down a small flight of stairs and landed a bit away from Wisp, his landing causing the deck-plates to dent under the weight. "But now, You're. In. My. Way."

"Have you ever looked into a gig as a steel worker? Or, heck, if you're not limited to just iron and steel, working as a jeweler?" Wisp asked, running her mouth to keep herself distracted from how badly the odds seemed to be shifting out of her favor now that he's armored up.

When he jumped down the stairs, she lifted her hands and quickly drew in a collection of energy before exhaled and sent it like a comet of crackling blue and black energy trailing more of the same. Just as she released it, she used her free hand to tap her commlink, "Myr, I could really use some backup on the main deck." When it splashed against his armor leaving little more than a large scorch mark on his chest, she gaped in surprise. Oh crap... she thought, taking a defensive posture.

GM

"Girlie, being a steel monkey was how I got this little condition of mine. You think the union was happy that one man was able to put a score of men out a of job?" Sabot was about to continue when Wisps blast hit him center mass causing the armored figure looked down at the marred finish and back to the white-haired heroine. "No dice, little lady. Sorry it came to this." With a sweeping gesture, a length of chain zoomed over to float in front of him whereupon the links snapped as it was reconfigured into a cylindrical mass of ball-bearings. Sabot leveled a closed fist at Wisp, and then opened his hand as if mimicking an explosion. The improvised grapeshot accelerated, slamming into the heroine and the bulkhead behind her with a force of a cannon.

Myr rocketed out of the water dragging the two men who were unfortunate enough to fall overboard in each hand before unceremoniously dropping them on the deck. The sound of jetwash heralded Myrmidons' arrival on the battlefield, as he hovered slightly above and behind his teammate. Frowning underneath his mask as his somewhat groggy looking teammate and noting the shotgun like patten of holes in the bulkhead behind her, the best course of action was to get her back in the game.

While he did not consider himself to be the leader of the Irregulars (that title was gladly deferred to Crow), the others did tend to listen when he gave orders in the field. << Wisp, I am on your six. Wake up and shake it off. >>

Wisp held a hand to her head, blinking away the pain from the assault. She glanced down as her wounds rapidly healed themselves. "So am I Sabot, so am I," sighed, feeling something like sympathy for the mercenary. Shoving it down, the snow-haired teleport sprang into action with a short series of movements taking the steel-armored man off guard before gathering as much power as she could and hurling it at him in the desperate hope to peel away some of the armor or take some of the fight out of him.

She landed in a three-point crouch, vapor rising from her still half-curled right hand as she took in rapid, shallow breaths.

GM

The blast slammed into Sabots' head, causing the armored man to take a half-step backwards. Other than that, it did not seem to phase him in the slightest has he advanced forward toward Wisp. Sabot physically loomed over the heroine, and she could feel her skin prickling from the heat from her strike radiating off the red-hot faceplate. "I hope you and your friend have had your tetanus shots recently." The voice growled from behind the glowing armor.

A savage gesture ripped out the metal cabling that lined the ships' walkways as a guardrail in sinious waves, looking almost alive as the metal bender exerted his will upon it. One end cracked as the tip went broke the sound barrier, giving Myrmidon enough warning to move out of its way as it splintered a nearby set of pallets. The other end slammed into the ground at Wisps' feet, and worked its way around her like the coils of a constrictor. A heartbeat later they pulled taut, trying to suborn the heroine to the deck. "Now stay."

Myrmidon glanced about the battlefield as he surveyed his options. First he needed a weapon that could punch through that armor. Thought turned to action, and soon the clone hero was holding an energy blade that could fulfill those requirements. Now was a matter of how to engage Sabot. The man had shrugged off a blast that Myrmidon had seen firsthand core main battle tanks in the Wreck Room, and with the close proximity he did not want to use a ranged weapon.

A creaking of strained metal overhead gave him cause to look skyward, seeing a shipping crate rocking lightly as it held suspended from one of the ships overhead loading cranes. A plan quickly formulated as he recalled the speed of the last strike from Sabot. 'It should be enough, theoretically.' The helmeted hero mused. Time to set it into motion. "You missed." He stated to the armored figure, the masking effect of his external commlink doing little to hide the disdain in his voice as he gave half second nod towards the other end of the cable.

Wisp did her best to keep her sudden confidence drain off her face while Sabot loomed over her before she found her ankles suddenly wrapped in steel cables. She was barely able to plant her feet to avoid being pulled completely off balance as they constricted. Trying her best for a wise crack she resorted back to a Die Hard with a Vengeance reference, "You know, I've seen what happened to the last guy who had a bad encounter with cables on a freight ship. I think I'll avoid that thanks."

With the words barely off her lips, the heroine vanished in a cloud of bi-colored smoke, the coiled cables snapping together around empty air. re-appearing a few hundred feet away, successfully hidden from prying eyes, the teen tried to come up with a solid plan of attack.

GM

Sabot whipped around when his original target disappeared in a puff of smoke, and moved to to engage Myrmidon. "We'll see about that." he intoned as he pantomimed throwing a javelin, which sent the end of the loose cabling now strewn across the deck dead center at the clones' faceplate. The blue collar villain grinned underneath his armored shell of impervium when the the telltale sound of metal impacting metal was heard, only to see small sections of the cable go flying in different directions as the hero sundered apart his improvised weapon.

<< My turn. >> was the only response.

Myrmidon needed to disable Sabot quickly, as there was no telling how soon he would get backup as the soldiers worked through their confusion. With a quick burst of axial thrust followed by cutting the jetpack, he dropped to the ground while building up momentum for a heavy strike with his sword. Sabot had apparently seen a ploy like this before, moving out of the way as Myrmidon buried the sword to the hilt as it cut a swath of unimpeded damage from the slash.

"Wow. What kind of box of Wheaties did you find that in?" Asked the armored villain as he whistled appreciatively at the collateral damage.

Wisp peered out from behind her cover, quietly impressed by the sword strike of her militaristic minded companion. She ducked back behind cover, not wanting to play her hand too soon. Taking slow, deep breaths she started pulling in power, gathering it into a sphere of crackling blue and black energy the size of a basketball. Calmly she rose from her crouching position, she held the power, barely restrained from flying away from her grasp before she could direct it.

Focusing, she reached down to the power well she pulled from for teleportation. In a plume she vanished, reappearing behind Sabot and unleashing the charge into his back, sending stress fractures and impact ripples through his armor.

GM

The blast forced the armored man to take a knee, the impervious hissing and cracking from the heat of the blast as loudly as the man inside let loose some choice invectives. As he slowly regained his bearing, the rhythmic sound of boots on metal grew louder. "Heh. Took them long enough." He turned to face Wisp. "Alright, Round Three..."

The duo of heroes and Sabot apparently heard it at the same time, barely discernible above the other noises masking it. The whine of a helicopter engine warming up. "Great. Now she's going to kill us all."

The only warning Wisp and Sabot got from Myrmidon was << Hostiles inbound, heavy weapons present >> Before the helmeted hero engaged his armors jetpack and charged into the ranks of the approaching soldiers. He moved out of sight behind more f the omnipresent shipping containers, the shots of laser rifles and other weapons sounding and then being silenced a few seconds afterwords.

Wisps' commlink beeped. << They are buying time for something. This is a mere distraction. Sabot likely...one moment. >> Myrmidon intoned over the radio. An oncoming and then receding hissing sound was heard followed by a detonation, as he continued. << Hostiles neutralized. As I was saying Sabot knows something that we do not. >>

Wisp eyed Sabot, her hands relaxing and allowing the collected energy to dissipate, "I'm guessing your boss has just decided you and the other mercenaries have just fallen into default on your contract?" Motioning to Myrmidon to back down, "Perhaps we can work out a quick deal? Myrmidon and I will deal with your employer, try and keep her from sinking the ship. While we do that, you get your men together and start using your reshaping power on shipping containers into something that will float instead of sink like a rock. Sound workable?"