Bringing the Fight from the Underground

Shofet

I like the Meta-Grue being the baddie for this, as it could play to Grue shapeshifting superiority. (I can't recall if this is something the Grue actually have, but Marvel's Skrulls & ST's Changelings do.) "It was so easy to make you think these particular heroes had turned! Foolish monoforms, so quick to distrust that which looks different!"

That attitude is indeed a thing the Grue at large have!

As for how they'll relate to the Midnighters, I'd say they would appreciate having those folks approach in times of need(theirs or the Midnighters), as well as an example of the differences between even other humans at times. But yeah, I hadn't thought of those guys! Something to consider with care I guess. I can certainly see at least Wave-Eye admiring cohesion and camaraderie like theirs, and wanting 'his' squad to be like them in that fashion, more than just a mutual defense band.

There's also the fact that the Midnighters are strictly mystical. Now of course several of the members here have magical backgrounds, but Starlight is more comic and the first threat being the MG does tend to push them into the space category.

Not to say that the Midnighters can't fight aliens, but this team might be a better bet for it.

Something I ought to have thought of earlier: Jay Xavier's transformation into a superfast cat is the result of Grue bioengineering. So there might be a reason for the Meta-Grue to mess around with Jubatus' life…

I've never given much thought to why the Grue decided to change a human into a supersonic predator, but they must have had some reason. One obvious candidate for such a reason: They were trying to create a living terror weapon. The plan might have been, turn a human into a terrifyingly lethal monster; let the other humans' natural xenophobia cause them to expel the 'monster' from human society; see how much damage the 'monster' does. If this is the plan, the Grue will want to make some follow-on observations to see how well Reality is following their projected script. They discover (much to their surprise) that the 'monster' (Jubatus) has not been expelled from human society, and furthermore, is not dispensing random carnage. Well, if the humans are suppressing their natural xenophobia, perhaps that xenophobia can be brought to the fore with the proper stimulus? Thus, the Meta-Grue's scheme.

The Abnormals will need a headquarters, in the fullness of Time. They obviously won't have an HQ right off the bat, but there's nothing that says we players can't work up some of the details now, in advance of need, yes? So I'm going to get the discussion started with a wish list of stuff we might like to have…

Toughness: 20 [3 pp]

Size: Medium (i.e., warehouse) to Large (i.e., mansion or cave complex). [1-2 pp]

Features: Power System [1 pp], Library [1 pp], Infirmary [1 pp], Computer [1 pp], Communications [1 pp], Pool [1 pp], Security System [1 pp], Living Space [1 pp], Fire Prevention System [1 pp], Laboratory [1 pp], Workshop [1 pp], Gym [1 pp], Dock [1 pp], Concealed [3 pp]

I'm thinking that we start off small, point-wise. Toughness 20 (3 pp), Large size (2 pp), Computer (1 pp), Pool (for Wave-Eye -- 1 pp), Living Space (for Penitent -- 1 pp), and Concealed (3 pp). The rest of the wish list can take care of itself; we can add the rest of it piecemeal, as and when we see fit.

Yes? No?

So the 'opening bid' (you should pardon the expression) is like so:

Initial configuration for the Abnormals' base: 12 pp total

Toughness 20 (3 pp)

Large size (2 pp)

Concealed (3 pp)

Computer (1 pp)

Dock (1 pp) / for Wave-Eye

Pool (1 pp) / for Wave-Eye

Living Space (1 pp) / for Penitent

Anything else the HQ should have, right from the beginning?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Turns out that of the four players who were originally involved, the three who are currently active are in favor of giving this "monster-lookin' hero group" thing another shot.

So.

I think the fizzled-out Smoke on the Water thread should be regarded as a pilot run of the Meta-Grue's evil plan. He did a little impersonation, got some data on how effective the scheme could be, and now he's gonna make it happen for real. Yes? No?

I think that might work, but from what Raveled's told me he wants to have the characters suffer a bit more from this, and telling Freedonians "It wasn't me! It was that rat-sunuvagun the Meta-Grue!" would get them pretty easily believed.

How about we have solo threads detailing some attempt to be heroic, then Meta-Grue trashes that and leaves the character in a pretty bad light? Then the join-up, bashing and team-forming!

My idea is to start each hero with a thread where they're being pursued by another hero/Freedom City police for whatever the Meta-Grue did while using their forms. Then once everyone is together, they'll find the Meta-Grue and expose him as what he is.