A Convocation of Eagles (IC)

Liberty Park, 13th July 2012

GM Post

The police of Freedom City were by a large a special bunch. They tended to see more weird stuff than any other Police department in America, if not the world. So when with a large pop a vortex opened open in Liberty Park the two Mounted Officer just kept an eye on the phenomena and waited for some heroes to show up. Compared to most the figure that emerged was rather normal.

She looked like an everyday soldier but there were differences to the uniform she wore. The helmet and body armour, harking back to those worn many centuries again by Roman Legionnaires. Plus as well as the rifle she wore on her back at her hip was a holstered a Gladius.

She didn’t seem violent so they weren’t overly concerned and could only look at each other as she spoke to them in a strange tongue.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shining figure banked through the sky, keeping its speed well below the mach barrier so as not to shatter windows in the city below. Jessica Parker hadn't been up in the sky since her mistake and the surgery to fix it, and for a good long while she simply played with the new functionality in her suit. Having an on-board radio to play with was a novelty for the young genius, and she was having fun setting various pre-set frequencies. She flipped through them quickly and landed on the police band, where she listened in on a sudden appearance in Liberty Park. That certainly seemed something worth investigating.

The Park was minutes away, if one could fly over the city's buildings instead of routing around them. Ironclad flew up to the gathering police officers and landed almost daintily, if that word could apply to a suit of armor tougher than a main battle tank. It wasn't hard to find the visitor and Ironclad approached her slowly, hands in the air and open palms facing the woman. She greeted the woman, quickly moving through the half-dozen languages she spoke, waiting for the strange visitor to respond to one of them.

The day had been frustratingly slow in terms of evil needing to be stopped in the bay.

"Not so much as a shark" he grumbled to himself, landing on the roof with a thud. He had decided to go for a stroll in the city, looking for trouble to get into, and so far being equally disappointed. Kicking off, with the breeze rushing around his scaled skin he gurgled "I have not seen hide nor hair of a criminal, a good thing for these humans" he granted dourly "but it makes one wonder wh-" he stopped in mid-sentence as he landed in the broad park, staring at the sight of a woman carrying a gladius and wearing armor he hadn't seen since the days of the Roman Empires. Dashing forward with long, swinging strides he called out to her "Hail and welcome to Freedom City! I am Wave-Eye, a defender of this place. Who are you, and why are you here?" he asked, looking suspiciously at this anachronistic figure, enormous black eyes glistening at her.

The woman turned the focus of her attention away from the two police officers and onto Ironclad, repeating much of what she just said to the two police officers. To Wave-Eye’s ear’s it was Latin, but not the former Latin of scholar or the vulgar tongue of the common man, this was as different as Middle English was to the Modern speech of this city.

<â€I am General Hagnes Lapidern commander of the 21st Legion stationed at Freedom City in Ultra Columpnas. I demand that you withdraw your forces from our dimension at once or we will be forced to retaliate with force. And don’t think your servant of Poseidon will dissuade us from such an action.â€>

A ripped-open portal. Never a good start to any encounter. Up in the sky, Victory had stopped his laps around the city to observe this apparent visitor. He stayed far up in the sky, where all that could be seen of him was the flash of light from his jets. He turned on his range-increasing vision and hearing, trying to pick up the conversation. The dialect was unusual, but not altogether alien. He tries to relay it back to HQ.

"Hey, you guys understand any of this? It kinda sounds like an Earth language, but something's odd about it."

As he zoomed in abit more, Victory couldn't help but notice the odd thematic nature of her uniform. He almost could swear he made doodles like that back in high school. He observes for now, but is ready to jump in at a moment's notice.

Silver Spider swung through downtown Freedom on ropes of silver-grey synthetic webbing, her patrol taking her within a few blocks of Liberty Park. Or to be more accurate, she never had a chance to get terribly far from it given where her apartment was.

A few minutes into her webslinging she noticed a swirling portal off in the middle of the park and immediately altered her course. After landing in and then leaping through the trees faster than the squirrels she had terrified with her entrance, she made one final leap and came down in a three point crouch near the police officers, the armored figures, and what she could only describe as Zoidberg brought to life. "Um, is there a problem here?" she asked in a somewhat flat voice.

Turning around sharply as the reverberations of Silver Spider's landing spread through the ground, Wave-Eye regarded the other new arrival with a slightly puzzled look before answering with a harsh gurgle "This...person" he explained with a click of his narrow teeth at the word 'person', gesturing with a spined claw at General Hagnes Lapidern "believes we are invading their world, and wants us to remove our soldiers!" realizing suddenly that he had missed something important again he added "I am Wave-Eye, I live in the bay, this woman here is a general in an army from some otherworld's Rome. She thinks you people are attacking her. I will inform her of her misconception" before turning back to the General, peering at her suspiciously. The 'servant of Poseidon' comment rankled almost as much as the 'child of Dagon' thing from a short while ago.

"I have never served under the banner of the Olympian" he snarled, fish eyes gleaming angrily "As a son of Chalchiuhtlicue, his claims of mastery over the oceans is something I categorically deny and challenge! Besides," he added more evenly, though with his watery voice it still sounded deeply unpleasant "the Men of this world do not have the means, or the resources, to invade other worlds. There has been travel, yes, but none of the nations would dare risk their precious hides enough for a real war" he said, with utter certainty.

After a moment he asked "But, for the sake of argument, let us say they are assaulting your world. What flag or marker do they march under?"

For good measure, he repeated more loudly the accusation of Gen. Hagnes Lapidern and his counter-argument.

"Now wait a darn second here." Ironclad stepped between the Roman and the scaly servant of... Chalchiuhtlicue? She'd have to look that one up, later. It sure was a mouthful, at the very least. "We are not here to invade. But neither is this your homeworld," she informed the Roman. "This is Freedom City, in the United States of America. Not Ultra Columpnas, whatever that is. If you want to talk, to get our help returning to your home, fine. We can help you. But if you insist on fighting, then I can promise it will go poorly for you." And then we'll dump your ass back on your home turf, with a big 'Keep Out of Earth-Prime' sign on your back, she added to herself. It wasn't exactly diplomatic, but it was true.

The woman’s hand went to her gladius but for now she didn’t draw the weapons.

<â€Earth Prime, what arrogance! Why not 6 or 16 or even 616? Any if your aim was not to invade my homeland, why did there device open a portal to this world?â€>

Judging her chances against the heroes around her she took her hand off of gladius and soften her tone slightly.

<“Still it should not take much to prove whether the invaders were from this world. They wore fatigues’s much like my own but instead of this…â€> She tapped the patch on her arm a badge containing a stylized eagle. <“…they wore a crooked cross.â€>

Ironclad frowned beneath her helmet. "You are the one saying we've invaded your home, and we're the arrogant ones?" But the warrior's description of the invaders caused a chill to creep down her spine. "Wait. A crooked cross? Do you mean like this?" She held out one armored hand and a holoprojector built into the elbow of the suit played a news reel image against the pavement: Nazi soldiers on parade, saluting a large banner with a swastika prominently displayed, and an eagle with spreading wings perched on top.

From his perch, Victory could make out what the group were discussing, and the reveal of what it may very well be that was actually invading their....guest's world got Victory especially interested. He flew on down, a small engine roar accompanying his rapid approach. He touched down a few feet from the others, so the gust from his landing didn't blow grass in their faces. He takes a few heavy steps forward and speaks, looking at the projection.

"Nazis. I hate these guys."

Victory turns to the otherdimensional guest, and puts on his most official-looking serious face.

"Pardon my eavesdropping, but it sounds like you've got an issue with a world overrun by a whole army of them. If it's what I think, I suppose the many worlds theory would posit there is a universe where they won the war...I guess the Fuhrer wouldn't be content with just one world. But why do you search in our world?"

Jennifer nodded at Wave-Eye. "Nice to meet you, name's Silver Spider," she replied.

When the conversation started getting heated between Ironclad and the Roman general, and the latter reached for her gladius, the young inventor nearly webbed the general's hand and hilt to her side. When the mention of a crooked cross and the armored heroine's holographic display of marching Nazis, her stomach sank. Barely organized white supremacist neo-Nazi thugs where tough enough, but an organized army was sure to be a different level of headache. Before she could think it through, she asked almost on reflex, "How can I help?"

What? Those brats are back again? I thought they were beaten into the ground in the last Great Surface War Wave-Eye thought in disbelief as he stared at the reels Ironclad was projecting Amazing. They already have something that shows images from the past. Time well spent! he thought sourly, turning his cumbersome head back to the General. Speaking much more respectfully he said "None on this world who march under that banner have the power and arms to attack another world, let alone such a one as I deem yours to be. I know no reason those soldiers would attack you, save what the man bound in metal suggests: conquest" he waved a spined claw towards the imposing cyborg.

He glanced over at Silver Spider, surprised at her almost immediate offer to help, then shrugged and arranged his conch more comfortably, and tapped one of his heavy armor's pauldrons to fit it more closely to his shoulder before saying wearily "If your people need help fighting these 'Nazis' off of your world, I offer my aid. I am not as strong as I once was" he admitted dourly "but I can still do a few things that might be useful." He fell silent, watching the General and the others with interest from his massive eyes.

The General looked around her weighing her options before coming to a decision. She took off her helmet, revealing that her curly brown hair was shaved at the sides the rest tied into a bun below her helmets neck guard, and tuck it under her arm.

she spent a few second viewing Ironclads images <â€They wore this cross like I said, but the uniform and equipment are all wrong. It’s about fifty years behind the equipment they were carrying. I know nothing of these Nazi but it seemed they spoke a variant of the language of Germania.â€>

Ironclad frowned behind her helmet. Fifty years wouldn't quite put the Reich's armies on par with modern military, but it would mean having to about more than U-boats, Panzers, Messerchmitts, and MP-44s. At least they're unlikely to have drones, she said to herself, nodding absently. "Alright then, Miss -- um, miss. Ma'am? Whatever. First thing we should do is." She stopped speaking and started again. "No, the first thing we have to do is conquer the language barrier. We've not always going to have an interpreter handy, so I should get started on something for the rest of us. It's gonna take a few hours though, okay?"

• 2 weeks later...

"That sounds very like what these surfacers dealt with a few decades back" Wave-Eye said, nodding slowly at the General's report. "They came from such a land and spoke that tongue. Or so I have been told by eels" he added mildly, recalling a meal by a sinking metal tube. He shrugged "If they have won out in their own planet, they could not help but improve their weapons, even if only to secure their rulership."

He looked over at Ironclad with interest as he translated Gen. Lapidern's explanation for the benefit of the others present. "A good idea, especially if her world(with apologies for any unfortunate insinuations) cannot supply such things." Sitting heavily on his haunches, he observed the play of light on the water of the nearby pond casually. Perhaps they keep fish there... to Victory he said admiringly "That suit of armor is an incredible work. Tell me: where did you get it?" he asked with great interest

The whole process took a while but gave the General time to consider her options.

<“There is some kind of workshop where the dimensional device is located; it should provide the equipment you desire for this device. And to be honest I’d be more comfortable in my own world, even if it’s in the camp of an enemy.â€>

She returned her helmet to her head.

<“As I’m sure we do not trust each other fully yet, I ask that one of you pass through with me a t the same time. That will reduce the chance of any betrayal…â€>

Without hesitation, the triton leaped easily up from the warm and soft grass to his feet. "I will go with you, General" he said, glancing his large eyes around at the humans nearby, curious to see if they would disagree. Examining a greave casually he added "As I have had dealings with your culture, albeit in the past, I will make a slightly better representative than most of these others. My graceless and brutish nature aside!" He laughed harshly at that, though in a light and easy tone that suggested he was joking.

Ironclad folded her arms, frowning behind her helmet. "I'm sorry, I'm supposed to leap through a dimensional portal? And the only three things I know is that there's Nazis, and Romans, and no one speaks any English on the other side?" She shook her head. "General, I'm all for helping you. But I will not step through that portal without the translation devices, I simply will not. Now," she added, "there are facilities in this city for you to rest at while I work. I'll even open my home to you, so you know that we aren't hiding anything. Or I can meet you back here tomorrow. But I'm not going through that portal as it stands."

Victory hmph's at the proposal of Ironclad making the translation devices. Not because he thinks it's a bad idea, but more because this would've been the perfect time for him to try out the translation software the team was working on...if it was finished yet! What was taking them so long?

While he was thinking, Wave-Eye's compliment caught him momentarily off-guard.

"Oh, this? Well...technically it's not a suit of armor. At least alot of it isn't." He pats the still flesh and blood arm, which has the attachment over it. "This, most of my torso, and my helmet are separate pieces, but the rest is all my body. I'm what we call a cyborg. A certain government agency made it for me and maintains it. Here..." He holds his palm up, and what looks like a business card with a small button on it dispenses from his wrist into his hand. "Give this a watch sometime. It'll tell you all about me."

The conversation goes back to their actual next steps, and Victory nods after Ironclad speaks.

"I agree. There is simply too much we're asked to just take at face value, or assume. Plus I think having those devices would be a great boon. I'll also need to speak with my superiors about this. If there is indeed an alternate dimension that's trying to invade different worlds, AEGIS must know about it. Not that it would be the first time."

Silver nodded at Ironclad's comments. "I might be able to lend a hand with that Ironclad. While my coding and construction skills aren't enough to slap together a suit like yours or Victory's prosthesis, I should be able to at least assist in the construction step of the translators."

As she spoke, she made a conscious effort to keep her right pinky, where her engineer's ring would normally be, from tapping against the plastic cases lining her belt.

General Lapidern stood there and considered Ironclad words for only a minute.

<â€Very well then. It will give me time to bolster my defences if these Nazi’s return to their base. Let us say we return to this spot in three hours. Maybe we can use this as a test of trust?â€>

Without waiting for an answer she turned around and made back to the vortex that had bought her here. A short time after she stepped through the rift the portal once again closed. The area was once again quiet after the subtle noise of the portal.

Ironclad shook her head ruefully. "Three hours? I'm a scientist, not a miracle-worker." She looked at Silver Spider and jerked her head towards one of the apartment buildings that surrounded the park. "C'mon. I hope you're not afraid of heights. And I really hope you know how to use a sodering iron."

The armor's jets fired and she sped upwards, arrowing for her penthouse. The doors unlocked automatically as she landed and she strode inside, sparing a glance for the kitchen. She'd left a crock pot there, cooking away at tonight's dinner. It would probably be prudent to clean it out before she went dimension hopping, or at least unplug it so it didn't cook over if she was gone for a few days.

The stairs in the center of the apartment led up, past the bedroom and bathroom, to the workshop at the top floor. The young genius didn't bother removing her armor, instead merely folding the helmet back so she could get a little more freedom before being encased in the suit for goodness knew how long.

Silver barely had time to react before launching a stream of web, sticking one end to the armor's back. Focusing her mind she made an effort to alter her graviton field and piggy-backing off Ironclad's initial thrust was able to web-swing into the penthouse seconds after the green and gold tenant did. Following behind she had a nagging feeling she'd seen that face before but she could not seem to place it.

"Heights don't really bother me," she said with a bit of a smirk in her voice. Pulling off her gloves and web-shooters to keep fingers flexible while she worked she continued, "If you want to scare me, ask me to cook something." Setting the pieces down she debated removing her mask so distorted her vision before pulling it away and running a hand through her mussed hair.

The two inventors worked quickly and easily together, crafting a pair of odd-looking headphones. A pair of earbuds, really, which met up on the wearer's throat. The joined wires thickened and met up with a small speaker/microphone. The whole thing was done in gold and green, and Ironclad took an extra minute to make small adjustments so they would fit perfectly in hers and Silver Spider's ears.

They had a few minutes before they were due to meet up with the Roman warrior again, so Ironclad rushed around packing an overnight bag. Shoes, toiletries (extras of those, for the other woman as well) and a change of clothes all went in the bag. Finally, as the pair of inventor-heroines left, she made sure to draw all the blinds and lock all the doors. No telling when she would be home next, after all!

It was a short journey back to the spot in Liberty Park and Ironclad landed lightly, bag over one should. She glanced around and opened the suit's sensors as wide as possible, hoping to record as much as possible about the dimensional opening.