Slave to Time - Part 2 (IC)

Supercape

“Well first it’s probably best not to call her that in front of her or her followers. At least until we know the full story.†She smiled back “She also probably isn’t worried about our marital status; we still can if it makes you feel better.â€

She stood there surrounded by possible hostile enemies, trying not to look threatening to them or their leader.

“I know we’re trying to get home, but I think we should try to help. And bugger all this preserve the timeline, I’m not going to try and second guess history when real lives are involved.â€

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dodging a spear, Subito rolled his eyes and stifled a laugh "Yeah, bein' called that probably won't make her too happy. I'm fine with us just bein' friends before her Crazyship if you want. And screwing up the timeline probably isn't too likely, I don't remember much history about tribes in swamps in this time-period."

He frowned "Though, if they could capture Broken Crow, I wonder how we'll manage to get him out? Our powers are magical too, aren't they? Maybe she knows a way to stop people usin' that kind of power?" he suggested uneasily, glancing around at the mantled and noisome trees.

GM

El Heraldo and Young Brittania would not need to tolerate the spear jabs, biting insects and fetid waters for much longer before the Maiden herself made her appearance.

It was without much ceremony. Various stinking meats hung from warped branches, skulls and bones in primitive iconic forms were strewn around. The various degenerate swamp men, all with strange heads and bulging eyes, diseased and wasted, with either a few two many fingers or a few too little, crept around almost silently. There must have been twenty or so in the thick mangrove where the swamp queen kept her council.

She was not tall, only a few inches above five feet. She was not pretty, but neither were her features the same as her degenerate worshippers. Brown of skin, hair, and eye, and with features from a dozen separate races. She was sturdy, with a dancers muscles and grace, but with more than a few scars on her body and back. A necklace of bones lined her chest, and tattered red garments adorned her body. She was barefoot and showed much of her brown body, but her dress and demeanour was far from seductive. It was the cloth of the primitive.

She spoke in the same Creole language to the degenerate cult, confirming who the two visitors were. Then she turned her address to the two heroes.

"What brings you so far south to my domain!" she inquired, voice equally subtle and demanding. "Between the Snake people and myself, there is little place for visitors...except as food and game!" she laughed.

Stepping into the open grove with a wince as one of the guards jabbed him in the butt with the butt of their spear, Subito yelped and glared accusingly at the misshapen man before turning to face their new enemy. He doffed his hat slowly and with a cold hazel eye on the Maiden, glancing with a shudder at the unhealthy scene around him and Agnes, fighting the impulse to grab the Englishwoman's hand for comfort. He made himself as strong and quiet as he could manage at the moment.

'She rules a bunch of people in a swamp. Why? Is there something that gives them an advantage he-' he almost smacked himself, which manifested as a sudden jerk of his left arm 'Of course. People can't get in here after them, DUH. Excellent, you are learning.'

As their rather undressed hostess spoke, Subito frowned at the language that rang through the air, glancing at Ms. Stone with a quiet deference. Aloud he said softly "Let me know if you want me to fix her Sexiness' clothes for her. I think that might do some good." he looked back at the Maiden "Anyway, do your thing Why-Bee."

• 2 weeks later...

“That might make thing worse, if I understand all this they seem to revel in all this. Think of it as her equivalent of Gaga’s meat dress. Just be ready if thing start to kick off.â€

Agnus then went into full Media darling mode. She managed a little curtsy, and gestured for Subito to do the same.

“We are neither, we’re diplomats. I’m not sure if you’ve noticed but the country is wracked in a civil war. We’re here to try a broker a peace between you and the Serpent people, we don’t want the conflict spilling out and endangering any stability. No one wants to fight a war on more than two fronts.â€

She took a breath, this next part was a bit of a gamble.

“You also have a friend of mine staying as a guest, I wondered whilst we’re here we could catch up on old time.â€

GM

“We are neither, we’re diplomats. I’m not sure if you’ve noticed but the country is wracked in a civil war. We’re here to try a broker a peace between you and the Serpent people, we don’t want the conflict spilling out and endangering any stability. No one wants to fight a war on more than two fronts.â€

"Diplomats!" answered the Swamp Queen, half laughing with joy, half spitting with contempt. "I have had diplomats before. They had excellent taste..." she answered ambigiously.

"...but in the end they are all the same. Liars and scoundrels. They come with honeyed words, and chains to bind...made of metal or laws, it matters not. My people here...pirates, slaves, beggars and thieves they were, unruly but free. And now we live and die free, free from civilisation, free to be the animals we are..."

"The serpent people worship the Yellow Sign. We worship something greater...the swamp itself. Disease, death, life, all ripe and full, fighting against each other. Can you smell it?" she whispered, both to the heroes and her entranced swamp folk.

"...the fetid rot, the smell of pus, the frantic fornication, the sweat and blood..." she sung, hypnotically, her eyes rolled over white.

“You also have a friend of mine staying as a guest, I wondered whilst we’re here we could catch up on old time.â€

"Broken Crow!" she snapped, breaking her trance. "The so called Master Mage! Well he is broken now, by the swamp...fevered and poisoned, sweating out his life. Ha! The swamp here is no land he knows...it is not from this Earth!" she said triumphantly.

"You are welcome to join him in his pit, oh pretty one!" she said to Young Brittania "or, a fine dark lady like yourself can free yourself from the slavery of this world and live free and bright here!"

Agnus gave an exasperating look. The trick here was to tell the woman the whole truth whilst making thing look palatable. The main thing here was there desire for freedom.

“Well if that all you expect for your people, that I think I’ll take the pit. Which way is it?â€

She took several steps in a random direction before stopping and turning her head back to “Madame Malaiseâ€.

“It’s just there an entire country fighting so people like you, people like us, can break there chains of slavery and lie free. I can’t promise you anything, but it’s a chance to start again and make a fresh chance. A chance to live as free men and women.â€

“It’s just there an entire country fighting so people like you, people like us, can break there chains of slavery and lie free. I can’t promise you anything, but it’s a chance to start again and make a fresh chance. A chance to live as free men and women.â€

Madame Malaise looked on with eyes vacant. It was hard to tell if the woman had listened to Young Brittania or not. She just swayed for several long, languid moments. It was easy to tell the woman was rather mad.

"Fighting for freedom?" she whispered. "I...approve. It is the nature of every beast, every living thing, every disease and purulent infection, to fight for life, for freedom..." she said, voice low and melodious.

"Come then, to the pit!" she smiled, with something akin to affectection at Young Brittania. "And you can bring your colourful little monkey with you" she added, waving a hand at El Heraldo.

The pit was caged over with wooden spikes, painted white and red in some arcane fashion. It smelled rotten from several paces away. Peering into the gloom below, Broken crow lay, shivering and sweating, his clothes ruined, and eyes fluttering.

"Here is the broken crow..." she explained "come to see off the Serpent people. Instead, he found me...he was too strong a bird to let him go free, you see. He would break the swamp if he could...so, I let the swamp break him...."

The Herald remained outwardly calm and reserved, despite the deep unease settling into him as the horror underlying the Maiden's words grew on his mind. The mention of 'frantic fornication' got a brief wrinkle of his mouth and a slight blush, and he was deeply grateful that he wasn't the one talking to the strange woman. Throughout the creepy exchange the inclement annual dumbass had been sending a faint halo of gold around Young Britannia, lending her words and gestures a slight otherworldly edge, which he guessed would make their hostess that much more inclined to listen. As they were hustled away deeper into her territory, however, he realized that hadn't actually been necessary at all. 'Note to self: don't assume you can contribute to every single situation Yes.' he thought ruefully, certain that he would soon forget that very valuable advice.

Brushing aside being called 'colourful little monkey' with a shrug of his broad shoulders, he fell in step behind Young Britannia as they were led to Broken Crow, his calm shattered by the sight of the suffering man in the cage, and it was only with tremendous difficulty that he held himself back from running forward and trying to free the Master Mage then and there. 'It won't do any good to try something crazy when she's right here' he thought, glancing at the Maiden with a vicious eyes before stepping a little backwards. Casting about for something he could do he lit on a crazy idea "Maiden of this marsh" he said respectfully in his young voice, kneeling on the sodden dirt with his magnificent pants, a red-gloved hand flat on the earth "Your might is clearly great, and your swamp yet greater. Let us tend to the Broken Crow. If you let him live, you will show your strength to the world and all will fear to trespass here. If he dies, what messenger will be more believed that can send word of your victory?" he looked up hopefully at the Maiden.

Agnus leant in a whispered into Subito ear

“I’m going to check on Broken Crow, just try and keep Ms. Malaise occupied.â€

Without giving anyone a chance to react she lifted up the cage and dropped into the pit with Broken Crow. She shifted into his native language as she spoke to him.

<â€Hi there I’m Agnus, I’m the current host of the Spirit of Justice. We last met about 30 odd years ago, when I wore a different body, to talk about a promising young mage called Rene…â€>

As she spoke she tried to illuminate the pit with a faint light, enough so they could see each other but not enough that those above would notice.

GM

Broken Crow looked up, feverish, his eyes bloodshot and rimmed with sweat. The man had a will of iron, but his body was burning up with a disease of unnatural origin.

He lifted a hand gently, taking comfort from the subtle light of Young Brittania.

"Gods be praised..." he whispered. "This is no trick of the madwoman...Rene...yes, I remember him...I...taught him...Gods, I could do with him now...but, perhaps not...I would not wish this insanity on anyone..."

He stopped, trembling in what appeared to be a seizure for a few seconds, his body fighting the pestilence...

"Please, you have to...we have to...stop this. This woman, she is worse than the serpent people. Quite mad...some outer god has snapped her mind..."

Starting as Agnus' voice rang out, Heraldo nodded quickly and rose to his elegantly-booted feet, approaching the Maiden of the Marsh with a pleasant smile and beginning to speak as his mind raced ahead to come up with something convincing. "When I set out to look for your prisoner, I never dreamed he would be in the possession of somebody as strong and wise as you are, your ladyship!" he suddenly leaped over the woman and landed next to her, his gloved fingers sliding a hairsbreadth from her reeking left hand and brushing it with his lips in reverence. Pausing to look up in feigned wonder at her eyes burning with madness, and suppressing a shudder, he asked softly "Oh Maiden, however can even such as you have vanquished the mighty Broken Crow? What power lies here, that your beauty and cunning will add the fear of those who learn it?"

'And can I please fix your clothes? Please? I'm not real comfortable being this close to you Madame Malaise You never act like that around Cerys when you go swimming. Want to share something? Y-! Look, what do you advise O Dame? Keep her occupied. The Spirit of Justice needs our aid here, and the Spirit of Victory must not fail I can do that. Let's keep this woman's attention...'

GM

When I set out to look for your prisoner, I never dreamed he would be in the possession of somebody as strong and wise as you are, your ladyship! Oh Maiden, however can even such as you have vanquished the mighty Broken Crow? What power lies here, that your beauty and cunning will add the fear of those who learn it?"

"Ha!" laughed Malaise, scanning El Heraldo's eyes. "It has been a long time since somebody dared to kiss me!" she sang, before taking his head with both hands, with strong arms and planting her lips on his. She was full of vitality despite her destitute appearance. Like the swamp, she was filthy but full of life. She tasted of rotten fruit - sickly but sweet.

"Although I kiss many!" she laughed giving him a penetrating stare.

"You are a colourful little monkey...I like you and your clothes. Full of life. Oui, Oui, full of life! and we know the purpose of life, don't we..hehehehe!" she cackled, holding him in her gaze.

Subito's eyes briefly widened as the older woman's lips met his, fighting back a stab of disgust as he relaxed into the too-intimate embrace and put his powerful young arms around her, and disguising the beginning of a sharp noise of revulsion as a murmur of pleasure. His mind raced with both surprise, distaste, and an undercurrent of desire that sent daggers of self-loathing into his stomach 'Ugh! Why'd I do that...wait, why is she so taken with me? She's not even-gross, ew, ewew! Herald, we have to keep her attention, and if this is the best way, we must be strong But- Victory at any cost! We cannot fail because you're squeamish'. Outwardly, as he stepped back just enough to slide one muscular leg behind and around the Maiden of the Marsh's, Heraldo looked both carefree and more than a little flushed, licking his lips with slow savor and smiling at the ruler of the evil swamp. Her next words turned the smile into a grin.

"You are a colourful little monkey...I like you and your clothes. Full of life. Oui, Oui, full of life! and we know the purpose of life, don't we..hehehehe!" she cackled, holding him in her gaze.
"And you are a dark and beautiful tree, Maiden, with tangy fruits that draw teeth and tongue ever inward."

Inwardly, he was horrified at what she had just said 'You...she can't be serious! We just met! You kissed her, Herald Yeah, on the hand! That doesn't- You are not dealing with one of wholly sound mind, recall ...That makes it worse, somehow. Does she even know...does she know what's going on? Is this like a dream to her? What are you going to do? I..I guess humor her? For a bit? I'm not going anywhere with her, that's for sure. And confession will be 'interesting' enough when we get back home anyway. I wish I could think of another way...oh crap, need to say something else...uh...' and suddenly, like a lance from Heaven, inspiration struck that would render at least one poem totally ruined for him.

Bending closer to the Madame Malaise, heedless of her filthy state and smell, he said softly "Oh yes, I know. We were begot, and to beget is our solemn duty, mistress." he smiled as a wave of nausea washed over him 'GROSS. NO, not doing that Then let us hope the spirit of Justice heals Broken Crow swiftly, or violence may be required to drive off your paramour You love this, don't you? I am grinning, yes Maybe we can go even further back in time, and I can apologize to Shakespeare?'.

Despite herself Agnus couldn’t help but smile.

“I’m not sure that Rene would be glad to see me, I deceived him last time we met. Shame too he would have been quite a catch back then, but I don’t think I stood a chance for various reasons.â€

As she spoke she laid her hand on Broken Crow and allowed her healing energies to flow into the man. Unfortunately it filled the pit with a soft glow, but that couldn’t be helped. Hopefully Subito was providing a suitable distraction whilst her healing powers got to work.

GM

"Oh yes, I know. We were begot, and to beget is our solemn duty, mistress."

Malaise gave a crooked smile, a finger stroking El Heraldo's chin.

"There is nothing solemn about life, monkey! and there is no duty, no, not one. There is only life, and it a filthy thing. The purpose of life is to decay, rot, and in its fetid state, to spread more life. It is like the swamp, full of life in all its horror. Is there nothing more beautiful? life is most alive when lose to death, Oui?"

She cackled the laugh of the insane.

"But I do like you, little monkey, with your rainbow clothes and your sweet tounge! Perhaps the vile beauty of lust I shall give to you..." she smiled and began to sway, mumbling at first, and the screaming a creole language, a mix of french, latin and other pidgin languages...

"Ouda body..ouda body...fromda sweat anda breast...innit daway of man a'beast!

Innit daway of man a'beast

Da heart apumpin'! a pumpin' aluvin'

Da spirit from were we came and damade us! comagan! and agan! comnow! and make luvin again for da time dawillbe!"

GM

The Healing power of Young Brittania worked its way through the fever of Malaise, although not without struggle. As the young heroine fought through the pestilence, she could feel the power of Malaise, and...beyond Malaise, the odour of the malevolent being she worshipped. Something from beyond worlds and dimensions, something that was beyond human comprehension. The merest sensation of this being gave a cold chill of insanity.

But the fever broke, and Broken Crow convulsed one last time, as the sweat literally flew of his body.

A...rather attractive body...

His big brown eyes gazed into Young Brittania's as the screaming of Malaise hit the swamp, and a crying and wailing from all creatures echoed around. From behind bushes and mangrove trees came the tears and laughter of copulation and suchlike, as the degenerates started to grab their nearest partner, or, if they could not, a wooden tree, to fondle and canoodle...

Broken Crow pressed his body to the cage, reaching upwards towards Young Brittania in a new frenzy.

"What devilish fever strikes me now!" he said, gaping like a hungry dog. "You ignite the wildest and boldest of urges in me, like the wildcat in heat!" he said, ready to rend the wooden strats of his cage with the strength of passion...

The cacophony exploded on Subito's ears, and for a moment he felt the hideous power behind the Maiden, heard its voice and savage nature in her cry. The patriotic paragon was filled with a desire to run, to punch Malaise as hard as he could and fly, never stopping until he could no longer see the loathsome marsh. He began to disentangle himself from around the luscious Maiden, but was stopped very suddenly by both the remembrance that Young Britannia and Broken Crow were still there, and by Madame Malaise's glittering eyes when they met his.

All of a sudden running was foolishness, fighting was a waste, and his qualms were unfounded. With a drowsy feeling of unreality he murmured "Oh lady, what is your wish? How may I-" the world jolted, and he realized dimly that something was very wrong with where his thoughts were going, the uncomfortable knowledge that he was treading close to something unforgivable nagging at him. Confused he went on "-learn such power as yours?" he asked smoothly, giving the captor of Earth's Master Mage and ruler of the swamp an unfeigned loving look.

Cuddling against her smelly, unwashed robed body he winced 'HERALD. ATTEND She's so wonderful.... Good, you listen. Something is wrong, the power this Madame Malaise wields is unlike any I have seen in this land. Give me time, and I can get you free from her grip! But..but her pulsing, wild heart and lovely- Yes of course, keep her talking her voice...like the honey from her tongue... At least you're not Galanta, she would have thrashed this woman by now.'

While Agnus leant in to return Broken Crow affection a tiny voice inside her head kept telling her that this was somehow wrong, even the fact that the voice didn’t sound anything like her own failed to slow her down.

With little effort she pulled the door off the cage and embraced Broken Cow in a very passionate embrace. She managed to break off from the passionate kiss to say with a broad smile

“Let’s try the kind of healing that Marvin Gaye suggests.â€

In a totally unconscious act she shut of her normal aura, and even absorbed what little light there was to give them some privacy.

GM

Oh lady, what is your wish? How may I---learn such power as yours?"

"It not come easy! It not come without sacrifice..." smiled Madame Malaise, stroking the underneath of El Heraldo's chin with a broken, swamp-filthy nail.

"I turn me back on Gods and Men, and In the swamp I learned of something beyond ...something horrible and wonderful. I toucha it, wit' me mind...and then, I lost meself...and when we lose our compass, we can find something more true...." she whispered in El Heraldo's ear. Her eyes and voice screaming completely insane, even through the lingering effect of the lustful spirit she had summoned to the mangrove...

Eyes dancing with enchantment, Heraldo murmured in answer "Beauty, I beg you to teach me about this thing. Whatever it was that made you like..like this, I wanna learn all about it. And you." Listening to the rhythm of her heartbeat with his tousled head resting against her chest, he suddenly lifted his face and gently placed a small kiss on her neck...

A while later...

Subito sent another splash of murky water over his face, scrubbing with grim determination several yards from Malaise' court. It was a terrible idea, but at least it made him feel a little better. Outside, he appeared quite reserved. On the inside, he was filled with quiet and wailing horror.

'Blarghrarghlubarebul Be at peace, Herald! I saw everything, and unlike you my vision was not filled with visions of our 'Maiden' friend in- Quit it! What happened? Pah, rudeness. Anyway, you will not need to worry about Father Guimont needing to talk with your parents. Nothing untoward happened Good'

With that, Heraldo dried off his face on his shirt, took a moment to collect his buzzing, disorder thoughts, and trudged off to find Young Britannia.

Meanwhile Agnus was going through the complicated procedure of waking up, after a couple of exhaustive day she’s managed to get a good “night’s†sleep. She’d managed to recall who she was, when she was, and that she currently naked with…

Now fully awake she leapt to her feet.

“The tabloids would have a field day with this on.†She mumbled to herself.

Summoning her clothes from whatever dimension they we’re banished to she notice they were back to their original contemporary (for her) form. Another complication to add to the list.

It seemed a shame to wake Broken Crow, after all he had a challenging few day, but if she and Subito were going to get home she’d need his help.

In a loud whisper she also called out “Oi! Subito are you out there?â€

"Where else would I be?" Subito asked grumpily as he walked into view, glancing at Agnes and not saying 'And why do you smell so weird? You'll learn Herald, if you and Blodeuwedd have the nerve to go anywhere with your relationship'

Sitting on the damp ground a few feet from the bearer of the Spirit of Justice, the Spirit of Victory's bearer glanced irritably at the misty swamp morning. He turned his bright hazel eyes to the older Englishwoman, question evident in his look, but all he said was "Any plans? We definitely need to make sure Madame Malaise doesn't do..." he colored "...that again."

Broken Crow lay on the marsh next to them. His fever was broken, yet he was still exhausted from the events. Ever since childhood, he had been crippled, needing a stick to walk. His strength was not measured in the power of the body, but rather his will.

"I know not what this maiden is" he said, voice somewhat drained. "But I know this...she is powerful, drawing her strength from something beyond this world. She has formed a cult, and had made the swamp and all its poison's her own..."

He paused for breath.

"This swamp, it now exists not entirely in our own time, not entirely in our own space. The swamp itself is alive, and its tendrils and roots spread to every dimension and world...you must have felt it, coming here? thing's...got strange..."

Indeed, an unnatural foul smelling mist did hand in the air.

"We must leave...before she or her insane cult awake. Through this swamp, path's to your own time you can take..."

“With tastes like her I doubt she’s a maiden anymore.†She gave a broad grin “But seriously she has to be stopped or contained before her influence affects the time line.â€

She tried to remember the book’s passages, if anything had already change, but as far she could tell she was wasn’t exactly tamper proof.

“We need to cut off all her links cast her adrift, any one of us couldn’t do such a thing. But together I think we might be able to do it. After all we…†she gestured to Subito and herself “…exists in part at two places at once. That’s if it’ll work all my magical knowledge comes second handâ€