Game Day in Two Weeks

Barnum

:shock:

That looks awesome!

Love the idea of the special abilities - I did a much lamer version of that for the 'Zombies!!!' board game, just to mix the generic player characters up a bit. It's kind of like the DnD miniatures game.

Anyways, great work once again. Looks like she's in a bit of trouble though... ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My plans for Game Day are falling into place. I already have my basic concept, and the rest is coming along nicely.

The Game - Since I was asked to make the game "short and introductory," I am going to run a zombie shoot-em-up, using a lite version of the MnM2e/T20, battle maps and minis, and a few other neat props. The players will take on the roles of soldiers who are stranded in a zombie-infested city. They have to make their way through 4 maps full of the undead and then survive a massive assault by zombies on the landing zone where they are to be rescued. I have 3 1/2 hours before lunch and then 4 hours after to run the game(s), so here is how we are going to proceed:

1. I want to run 4 different groups through a gauntlet of 4 maps each (including the LZ). I have seven maps total, so the two groups before lunch will each get three unique maps (the LZ is the same for everyone). We will then reuse those seven maps for the two groups after lunch.

2. After the first two groups make it to the LZ, the survivors from both groups will try to fend off the waves of attacking hordes until the rescue chopper arrives, and the players whose characters didn't survive will help me run the zombies. We will repeat the same scenarios after lunch.

3. I am working on 8 simplified character sheets for the 8 players before lunch. We will then reuse those characters after lunch. I'm trying to make the character builds as unique as possible, but there will be some overlap in weapons and special abilities.

Maps and Minis - I currently have 4 (almost 5) of the 7 maps made and have sent them off to the printers to be printed full size. I have no idea how they are going to look printed that large. Most of the maps are 60" on their longest side, but the largest format I could find for printing (that didn't cost a literal fortune) was 36". That's no problem though; I'll just tape them together. I hope to finish the last two maps this weekend. The map list:

* Helo Crash Site (Group 1 Start) - Done

* Collapsed Overpass (Group 2 Start) - Just started

* Long Street w/ Wrecked Truck- Done

* Long Street w/ Destroyed Cars - Done

* Back Alley Maze - Not yet started

* Abandoned Park - Done (Just need to zombify it a little more)

* Warehouse (LZ for all groups) - Done

A few of the minis gurus at the shop are going to loan us a bunch of painted minis for the game: 8 soldier minis for the players, about 20 zombie minis (not enough, but I do have some tokens we can use when needed), and a collection of military equipment. Most of their stuff is sci-fi, but it should be close enough to give our game a good feel. I have seen some of their work already. These guys are pretty talented painters and model builders.

Other Neat Props - I love props for gaming. L.O.V.E. them! So I'm trying to scrounge up a few to liven up our game. In addition to the minis and the maps, here's what I have so far:

1. The character sheets are being styled to look like military dossiers (see above). It's a small thing, but I think it helps give the game the right feel.

2. I am going all decked out in fatigues. :D My great uncle even has an army helmet that I am going to wear. Completely dorky? Sure, but I don't care. :)

3. In the game, part of what connects the maps/combats together are radio messages to and from the Lt. He has the map of the entire city and is trying to direct the soldiers to the LZ. I'd like to get a set of old walkie talkies, and give one to whomever plays the Sarge in each group. I'll be standing right there, but hearing the Lt.'s instructions come over the radio (complete with noise and static) should be a nice little audio extra. The radio dynamic should also encourage some neat role-play. We'll see.

More to come soon . . .

My plans for Game Day are falling into place. I already have my basic concept, and the rest is coming along nicely.

The Game - Since I was asked to make the game "short and introductory," I am going to run a zombie shoot-em-up, using a lite version of the MnM2e/T20, battle maps and minis, and a few other neat props. The players will take on the roles of soldiers who are stranded in a zombie-infested city. They have to make their way through 4 maps full of the undead and then survive a massive assault by zombies on the landing zone where they are to be rescued. I have 3 1/2 hours before lunch and then 4 hours after to run the game(s), so here is how we are going to proceed:

1. I want to run 4 different groups through a gauntlet of 4 maps each (including the LZ). I have seven maps total, so the two groups before lunch will each get three unique maps (the LZ is the same for everyone). We will then reuse those seven maps for the two groups after lunch.

2. After the first two groups make it to the LZ, the survivors from both groups will try to fend off the waves of attacking hordes until the rescue chopper arrives, and the players whose characters didn't survive will help me run the zombies. We will repeat the same scenarios after lunch.

3. I am working on 8 simplified character sheets for the 8 players before lunch. We will then reuse those characters after lunch. I'm trying to make the character builds as unique as possible, but there will be some overlap in weapons and special abilities.

Maps and Minis - I currently have 4 (almost 5) of the 7 maps made and have sent them off to the printers to be printed full size. I have no idea how they are going to look printed that large. Most of the maps are 60" on their longest side, but the largest format I could find for printing (that didn't cost a literal fortune) was 36". That's no problem though; I'll just tape them together. I hope to finish the last two maps this weekend. The map list:

* Helo Crash Site (Group 1 Start) - Done

* Collapsed Overpass (Group 2 Start) - Just started

* Long Street w/ Wrecked Truck- Done

* Long Street w/ Destroyed Cars - Done

* Back Alley Maze - Not yet started

* Abandoned Park - Done (Just need to zombify it a little more)

* Warehouse (LZ for all groups) - Done

A few of the minis gurus at the shop are going to loan us a bunch of painted minis for the game: 8 soldier minis for the players, about 20 zombie minis (not enough, but I do have some tokens we can use when needed), and a collection of military equipment. Most of their stuff is sci-fi, but it should be close enough to give our game a good feel. I have seen some of their work already. These guys are pretty talented painters and model builders.

Other Neat Props - I love props for gaming. L.O.V.E. them! So I'm trying to scrounge up a few to liven up our game. In addition to the minis and the maps, here's what I have so far:

1. The character sheets are being styled to look like military dossiers (see above). It's a small thing, but I think it helps give the game the right feel.

2. I am going all decked out in fatigues. :D My great uncle even has an army helmet that I am going to wear. Completely dorky? Sure, but I don't care. :)

3. In the game, part of what connects the maps/combats together are radio messages to and from the Lt. He has the map of the entire city and is trying to direct the soldiers to the LZ. I'd like to get a set of old walkie talkies, and give one to whomever plays the Sarge in each group. I'll be standing right there, but hearing the Lt.'s instructions come over the radio (complete with noise and static) should be a nice little audio extra. The radio dynamic should also encourage some neat role-play. We'll see.

More to come soon . . .

Oh my god, this sounds fantastic! You're players will have a blast, and may end up doing their own campaign stolen, er, borrowed from you idea. ;)

I am in complete agreement with you on the fun of props; I brought this creepy-@$$ cat puppet I got for Christmas to Gen Con last time I ran as a prop, and freaked people out. If at all possible, let them keep their character sheets as a fun memento of your game.

This is now making me want to run an adventure in my Aberrant War game at Gen Con next year, maybe even adapting it to MnM; it's about a mixed team of talented normals and low powered mutants fighting for a world where both can live together side by side, and eveyone is out to get them. Lots of fun for everyone!

Oh my god, this sounds fantastic! You're players will have a blast, and may end up doing their own campaign stolen, er, borrowed from you idea. ;)

I am in complete agreement with you on the fun of props; I brought this creepy-@$$ cat puppet I got for Christmas to Gen Con last time I ran as a prop, and freaked people out. If at all possible, let them keep their character sheets as a fun memento of your game.

This is now making me want to run an adventure in my Aberrant War game at Gen Con next year, maybe even adapting it to MnM; it's about a mixed team of talented normals and low powered mutants fighting for a world where both can live together side by side, and eveyone is out to get them. Lots of fun for everyone!

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

Good news is there's real hope for the walkie talkies. :D Maybe even a flight helmet with a working microphone. :D

Bad news . . . "Scenery Guy" can't come to Game Day and won't loan us his stuff if he's not there. So, we either go 2D the whole way, or time for Plan B.

Behold, Plan B (the beta version).

zombie1.jpg

zombie2.jpg

zombie3.jpg

zombie4.jpg

I decided to make my 3D buildings out of cardboard (cardstock glued to foam core to be precise). I downloaded these building and road patterns, so I could see how they were put together (scale, unit proportions, score/folds, etc.), but now I'm working on my own custom buildings and tiles from the maps I've made.

Major dilemma . . . my printer stinks. It's really old (> 4 years). It prints great color (as you can see), but its print registration isn't very accurate at all. The tiles are exactly 5.75" square, but only about half of the prints come out of the printer square, and some even come out "stretched" a little. Even 1/8 of an inch can throw the whole tile system off. :(

BTW, those little men are scavenged from my brother's Star Wars Risk game to show the scale. "Miniature Guy" said that the zombie minis he's bringing are about 21mm or about 75% of the standard 1" scale. These little guys were the closest I could find.

Anyway, still working . . .

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

Good news is there's real hope for the walkie talkies. :D Maybe even a flight helmet with a working microphone. :D

Bad news . . . "Scenery Guy" can't come to Game Day and won't loan us his stuff if he's not there. So, we either go 2D the whole way, or time for Plan B.

Behold, Plan B (the beta version).

zombie1.jpg

zombie2.jpg

zombie3.jpg

zombie4.jpg

I decided to make my 3D buildings out of cardboard (cardstock glued to foam core to be precise). I downloaded these building and road patterns, so I could see how they were put together (scale, unit proportions, score/folds, etc.), but now I'm working on my own custom buildings and tiles from the maps I've made.

Major dilemma . . . my printer stinks. It's really old (> 4 years). It prints great color (as you can see), but its print registration isn't very accurate at all. The tiles are exactly 5.75" square, but only about half of the prints come out of the printer square, and some even come out "stretched" a little. Even 1/8 of an inch can throw the whole tile system off. :(

BTW, those little men are scavenged from my brother's Star Wars Risk game to show the scale. "Miniature Guy" said that the zombie minis he's bringing are about 21mm or about 75% of the standard 1" scale. These little guys were the closest I could find.

Anyway, still working . . .

Nice work on the 3D scenery. The building placement offers quite a few tactical options for players, like climbing rooftops or forcing bottlenecks. If you're in a particularly evil mood you can surprise players by having zombies pour out of buildings, sewers or other streets, but you probably thought of that already. :)

Nice work on the 3D scenery. The building placement offers quite a few tactical options for players, like climbing rooftops or forcing bottlenecks. If you're in a particularly evil mood you can surprise players by having zombies pour out of buildings, sewers or other streets, but you probably thought of that already. :)

Thanks again guys. :D Ya'll are too kind. :oops:

As for the minatures, pop over to your local Games Workshop for Terrain and Model needs. They have some fantastic models, although slightly futuristic. How about a box of 16 zombies?

I can print, cut (barely), and glue, but I can't paint. One of the locals is bringing the painted minis.

Funny story . . . my brother saw his little Risk men "in action" on the scenery, and now is wanting to play a miniature war game. I've been trying to find some free rules we could use (I've never played before). I found the free DL of AT-43. We may kick that around tomorrow, if my house guests will put up with our extra geekiness.

Also, the photographer is demanding that I give proper credit.

*All of the above photos are © 2008, Samantha Lineberger*

:D Just wait until Google indexes that. :D

Thanks again guys. :D Ya'll are too kind. :oops:

As for the minatures, pop over to your local Games Workshop for Terrain and Model needs. They have some fantastic models, although slightly futuristic. How about a box of 16 zombies?

I can print, cut (barely), and glue, but I can't paint. One of the locals is bringing the painted minis.

Funny story . . . my brother saw his little Risk men "in action" on the scenery, and now is wanting to play a miniature war game. I've been trying to find some free rules we could use (I've never played before). I found the free DL of AT-43. We may kick that around tomorrow, if my house guests will put up with our extra geekiness.

Also, the photographer is demanding that I give proper credit.

*All of the above photos are © 2008, Samantha Lineberger*

:D Just wait until Google indexes that. :D