Special Effects vs Functional Advantages

Paradox

Hey, all!

I'm developing a Hero named, "The Morrigan;" she's a middle-aged widow who works in a library and falls asleep one night over a copy of Spenser's The Faerie Queen and awakens the next morning with the power to change into three distinct (but similarly-flavored) shapes: a small, butterfly-winged faerie with the powers of light; a withered crone with the powers of fog and confusion; and a beautiful, raven-haired woman, with the powers of the deep dark and a sword of nightmares. I plan to buy them as a use of Alternate Form and 2 APs off of that.

So, my question is, if I want to have her first form be that of a small critter with butterfly wings, do I need to buy shrinking for the size, additional limbs for the wings, and morph for the altered appearance? The wings are merely a special effect; the appearance and size are flavor items.

Same thing (basically) with the appearance changes for the other two.

Hey, all!

I'm developing a Hero named, "The Morrigan;" she's a middle-aged widow who works in a library and falls asleep one night over a copy of Spenser's The Faerie Queen and awakens the next morning with the power to change into three distinct (but similarly-flavored) shapes: a small, butterfly-winged faerie with the powers of light; a withered crone with the powers of fog and confusion; and a beautiful, raven-haired woman, with the powers of the deep dark and a sword of nightmares. I plan to buy them as a use of Alternate Form and 2 APs off of that.

So, my question is, if I want to have her first form be that of a small critter with butterfly wings, do I need to buy shrinking for the size, additional limbs for the wings, and morph for the altered appearance? The wings are merely a special effect; the appearance and size are flavor items.

Hey, all!

The way I would do it is Morph with the Metamorph Feat x3, for the three different forms I believe. If the wings are just "window dressing" then you don't need Additional Limbs, just Flight. If you're able to pick up things or hit people with them for example, then you need Additional Limbs.

Yes, you'll need Shrinking 8 (for a Tiny form). All 3 forms will need to buy the same amount of Morph with Metamorph 3. Although to be fair, you'll probably only need Morph 1 since you're not aiming to disguise yourself as anyone else.

If anyone else knows a more efficient way of doing it or if I've done it completely wrong...

The way I would do it is Morph with the Metamorph Feat x3, for the three different forms I believe. If the wings are just "window dressing" then you don't need Additional Limbs, just Flight. If you're able to pick up things or hit people with them for example, then you need Additional Limbs.

Yes, you'll need Shrinking 8 (for a Tiny form). All 3 forms will need to buy the same amount of Morph with Metamorph 3. Although to be fair, you'll probably only need Morph 1 since you're not aiming to disguise yourself as anyone else.

If anyone else knows a more efficient way of doing it or if I've done it completely wrong...

Answer: no. Wings are covered as a special effect of flight. If you can get away with it, you could add in a one point Drawback that says your flight is restrainable, but I don't know if that'll fly. :) (oh man, bad pun...) Other things you can add include being unable to use it underwater, you can only fly forward, etc. All of those are example drawbacks in the Ultimate Power book.

For the altered appearance, just take the Attractive feat as a power in your Alternate Form. No need to go with Morph.

Answer: no. Wings are covered as a special effect of flight. If you can get away with it, you could add in a one point Drawback that says your flight is restrainable, but I don't know if that'll fly. :) (oh man, bad pun...) Other things you can add include being unable to use it underwater, you can only fly forward, etc. All of those are example drawbacks in the Ultimate Power book.

For the altered appearance, just take the Attractive feat as a power in your Alternate Form. No need to go with Morph.