Paint the Town (IC)

Raveled

Mali laughs out loud at Tona's disapproval over the music. It seems that wherever she came from, teenagers are still the same. She grinned wide and laughed out loud.

"Not laughing at you, Tona..." She said, smiling. "What you said is funny, and I'm glad we have some things in common. Okay, so, let's put it to a vote on the music. What do you guys think we should listen to? I know of a great rock station, nothing really heavy, but, you know, energy."

They were getting to the clothing store slowly, with Mali making sure not to drive so fast as to scare Tona again. Besides, she thought, Tona would already be in for a shock when they started looking at clothes.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blodeuwedd gave a little chuckle at Tona reaction “I think they were afraid that some of the modern music might be a bit too much for you. Trust me an unexpected burst of Thrash Metal can be a bit of a shock to the systems. Personally I’m a bit of an Indie fan myself; you can go wrong with a guitar, bass, a drummer and a singer. Though I not that familiar with the local stations around here so I’m counting on you to see me right. If we’re going to hit a club later on it’s a good idea to sort out our musical tastes.â€

Sam gives a meaningless handwavy gesture while she calms down, eventually regaining the ability to speak. "Fine, fine. Works for me."

She starts tapping her foot, already feeling restless; she was always less inclined to take a car than to simply appear in whatever shadow's nearest wherever she's going. And after all that sitting still of a day in class? Ah, well. She's in this for the company, not just to get where she's going.

But that's not important. Music! "As long as there's some energy to it, I'm fine." Sam has never really been one to pay much attention to genre or artist or things like that. She just listens to the stuff, and she's pretty easy-going when it comes to music.

With all that settled, Mali changed the station to a local rock station, playing energetic but not extremely heavy rock.

Within a few moments, the car pulled up to one of Mali's favorite shopping spots. It wasn't one of the more expensive places, because Mali knew the other girls might not like paying what Mali usually paid for clothes. Still, it was a good store, with good looking clothes and decent prices.

She turned the car off and opened her door.

"We're here. Shall we go in?"

Her plan was simple, though she didn't say anything. Even though they were here for Tona, she fully intended to make sure everyone walked away with a nice new outfit. It wasn't all that much to her. Besides, if they were going to end up at a club, they needed to do so in style.

Tona had calmed down on the ride over, and even started the enjoy the sights of the city through the window. It was an endlessly fascinating parade of strange sights and experiences for her, and while she could have asked a thousand questions about nearly anything she had stayed quiet and tried to enjoy the music, as well. Whatever it was, with the guitars and the fast rhythms, she liked it, a lot more than the jazz. She privately hoped there would be a lot more music like that tonight.

When the car stopped (stopped for good; she's tried to get out earlier and there had been a brief discussion of red lights and stop signs) she waited impatiently for Sam to get out, then popped out of her own seat, dragging the bag containing her bow behind her. She shrugged it on and wandered over to a nearby store, where mannequins posed dramatically in the latest fashions. Tona stared at one modeling a low-cut blouse and hip-hugging jeans for a long minute before announcing, "There's no way that's a practical outfit. Anyone wearing that could hardly move!"

"Okay, see, sometimes you dress to look good, like if you have to dress up for something. Or if you are on a date, or going to a club. Any time you want to meet boys is a good example. Dressing to look good can make a good impression on people. It kinda sucks that people are so shallow that they base their opinions on how you look, but, there's not much you can do about that." Mali said as she looked the outfits in the windows over.

"This outfit, for example. The colors all compliment one another, notice how the grays and the blues look good together. Bright colors shouldn't be in the same outfit as other bright colors. They clash, better use a combination of brighter colors with more subtle colors. A bright red looks good with black, though a lot of colors look good with black. The lines of the cloth should also compliment the body of the wearer, accentuate the positive, downplay the negative. I don't like showing off my arms, so I always wear something that at least reaches my elbows. Now, showing some skin isn't necessarily bad, but it's important to avoid looking tacky or worse. You definitely don't want to wear something too low cut or with too short of a skirt. It looks bad, and others tend to get a bad impression of you."

She gave Tona a quick appraisal, up and down, and said. "Dark colors would look good on you. Something that accentuates your complexion, perhaps? Definitely something that brings out your eyes. We should find some make-up for you too, make your eyes pop..."

She smiled and turned towards the store. She hoped Tona wasn't completely overwhelmed.

Tona started to feel a bit panicky. All of this was going against all of her training and inclination. She had always been taught to blend in; dark greens and greys and blues, natural colors that matched her surroundings. The idea of attracting attention to herself was alien and unreal, totally outside her world.

Still, the idea of attracting boys wasn't a bad one. She'd only a rough and ready idea of how that all worked, but she was eager to experiment more. She swallowed and stepped closer to the model, her nose almost on the glass. "My... complexion? I've a tan, so that means I should go for dark colors?" She blinked. "But if I want people to see me, why would I want to wear make-up? That would hide my face, break up my outline."

It was strange having to explain this all someone; she’d been doing this since she was little. Whilst she had been specially instructed in this all but then again didn’t everybody knew about this stuff? Sometimes it seemed that Tona had been raised by wolves.

“Tona it’s not camouflage, it’s not to hide your feature but to enhance them. Fashion is like a game, or a complicated hunt. The aim is to enhance what you’ve got, whilst down playing your flaws. I hope that make sense it kind of like a fish trying to explain water, it just kind of there.â€

Sam tries not to laugh as she exits the car and hovers off to the side of the conversation for a moment. This wasn't funny. More... sad, really. Best to chip in and help. "Really, you don't have to worry about all those details. Maybe stick to darker colors, but even that's no big deal. Just find a few things that look good, and try 'em out. We'll help you out. And keep an open mind; those clothes," she nods to the outfit Tona'd commented on, "are still pretty easy to move around in, once you break 'em in a bit." She begins walking towards the door, her gait as natural as one can ask in those shoes. "I'm sure you'll start catching on once we get i-" she cuts herself off mid-step, then turns around.

"Be right back, gotta grab something real quick. Go on in, I'll catch up." Her voice is hurried, and she hustles surprisingly quickly down the sidewalk.

A hunt was something Tona understood, but being visible on one wasn't her preferred tactic. Leaving someone out to bait almost always ended up with the bait dead or injured. That mental comparison didn't make her feel anymore at ease about the whole enterprise, but the other girls seemed excited about it, so maybe being bait was a normal thing in this world?

She was so wrapped up in her thoughts that she didn't notice Sam slipping away from the group. Finally, Tona took a deep breath strode forward, into the store. "Okay. Then let's hunt clothes."

Mali lead her into the store and passed by several outfits. They showed a variety of amounts of skin, ranging from very modest to very...not modest. Mali shuddered inwardly at the thought of her parents catching her in some of the clothes.

Still, despite her skill and talent in martial arts, she had at least a passing eye for fashion and how to make it work. She also kept a look out for something appropriate for herself and the other two girls.

Something for Tona's tan skin and dark hair, Cerys' dark brown hair and Caucasian tone, and something for Sam's vibrant hair and porcelain skin.

The focus was on Tona, but she wasn't about to let her other friends go without something new, too. Or herself. She hadn't anticipated going out to a club or anything, so she decided that she, too, needed a new outfit.

"Let's go with something cute..." She said to Tona. "Modest, not too much skin. Probably a darker tone, like a blue or a gray, maybe black. We don't want you feeling uncomfortable in your own clothes, after all..."

Tona bit her lip as she wandered through the aisles. She looked at dresses and gowns and dismissed them straight off -- not nearly enough pockets for her taste. A long dress with a floral pattern hung in front of her face for a moment, and she almost laughed trying to picture herself in it. She picked up a white shirt showing a unicorn charging out of it. She'd heard of horses, she'd actually seen ponies running free on her homeworld, and weaponizing them seemed like a great idea, but Mali had suggested dark colors, so she put the shirt back.

She found a few pieces that were to her liking; a blue shirt with a diving submarine on it (she'd seen pictures and been very excited about them, until she realized how much maintenance there would be on a weapon like that), a black shirt with a stark white anarchistic symbol on the front, and a red shirt with blue stars marching down the long sleeves. She couldn't find any pants she really liked, since most of them seemed to have very few or very small pockets.

She hung her purchases from one hand (her right hand, she'd use her left to hold her bow) and walked up to Mali. "So... do we just pay for them, or what?"

Blodeuwedd was torn, part of her wanted to know where Sam was going, but she also wanted to respect her new friend privacy. In the end she decided for a compromise.

“I’ve want to quickly do something I’ll catch up.â€

With that she quickly dashed after Kit fishing something out of her bag as she run.

“Sam hey wait up. Look I know we have our disagreements but I want to make sure that your safe. So I want you to have this just in case.†She handed Kit a cheap Smart phone “It’s a burn phone its just got my number so if you're in trouble just call me.†Of cause it also had it’s GPS enabled just in case.

With a cheery wave she left Sam to do her business and dashed back into the store. Today she was shopping like a teenager choosing clothes suitable for her age. She picked put a couple of items and caught up with Tona.

“Yes you just pay for them; you do have enough money don’t you? I spotted this and though of you.†She held up a red hoodie “But for a night out I think you should try out this.†She held up a mid-length black skirt.

Sam takes the burn phone, obviously a bit confused. It's pretty fancy for just a burn phone, after all, and she and Cerys could just as easily just swap numbers. It's more than a little suspicious. Like, perhaps, the world's most obvious tracker. But for tonight, it's no big deal. "Thanks, Cerys, I will," she says, not exactly hiding her suspicions as she sticks the phone in her bag and returns the wave.

Her detour is just a couple doors down. The candy store. She finds her mixed jelly beans immediately, fills up a nice, big bag, and after swiping some plastic, she's on her way, back to the store barely a minute after Cerys. And right in time to see Tona looking like she's ready for checkout. "Make sure you try those on first. Different companies size things a little different. Gotta make sure you got it right." She shakes her big bag of candy, currently hunting down the raspberry ones, and eats one before presenting the bag to Tona. "Jelly bean? Never go shopping without 'em." She offers a look to Cerys and Mali, letting them know they're welcome to help themselves, too.

Tona frowned as Sam reappeared with the bag full of... something. She reached in tentatively and pulled out a small, red something, slightly squishy and shaped like a kidney. Sam seemed to be eating it with relish, so Tona took a sniff and then bit it in half. As it hit her tongue, her eyes went very wide. She'd tasted sweet things before, mostly berries and other free-growing fruit, but nothing that was so concentrated. She popped the other half in her mouth and chewed vigorously. She reached for another one, a translucent one that looked almost exactly like a tiny kidney, and stopped herself. She looked down at the little sugary thing in her palm and considered. If this was all Sam had, they had to eat them slowly. Tona was an old hand at rationing, so she bit the second jelly bean in half and chewed slowly.

"Try them on? Um." She looked around and saw a sign up near the ceiling that read 'Dressing Room' and pointed toward an alcove. "Alright. I'll be back." She dropped the uneaten half of the jelly bean in one pocket and took the clothes from Cerys, then disappeared into the dressing rooms.

She found an empty booth and spread her possibilities out, examining them as she undressed. She was more used to choosing clothes for utility and camouflage, not for how they looked on her, but she tried. After a minute's consideration she pulled on the submarine shirt and the skirt. She didn't much see the point of wearing something without pockets, but she trusted the other girls to know what she should wear.

She stepped out of the dressing room and back into the store proper, feeling the fabric of the skirt swish around her legs. It was a new sensation, very different from wearing pants! She stopped in front of the other girls and spun, showing it off from all sides. "Well?"

Sam can only scratch her head when Tona stops eating. She'd never seen anyone eat one-and-a-half jelly beans and then stop like that. "There's plenty for everyone," she says, though Tona's already off to the changing room by the time she does. So, there's nothing for it but to shrug and follow along.

When Tona steps out, Sam pops another jelly bean and screws up her face in contemplation. "Not bad," she says politely, "But that top would probably go better with shorts. Just a sec." She goes to the shelves on the wall, picking out a simple pair of denim shorts a little bit longer than she'd grab if Cerys weren't here to glare at her. She has to guess at the size, but she and Tona are pretty close. Step up a size for Tona being a bit bigger to begin with, and another size for those thighs and it should be fine.

"Try these," she says on her return, offering the shorts.

Helping herself to some of the Jelly beans Blodeuwedd considered Tona new look.

“I think it looks good on you Tona, though shorts would also be good. Maybe a little shorter on the T-Shirt, suggest a little skin. You've got a good figure you should show it off a bit. And I mean a little.†She shot Sam a knowing look “But ultimately it what you're comfortable in. If you feel uncomfortable in something it'll show. And good fashion is as much about feeling good in the clothes you wearing as it is showing other people how good you look.â€

Or at least being able to fake it, but I don't think Tona ready for the advanced classes yet.

Tona looked down at her dress and then at the shorts. The shorts certainly appealed to her own sensibilities more than the skirt, and she disappeared into the dressing room. A moment later she was admiring the shorts in the stall's mirror. She'd spent some time watching television and trying to absorb the culture of her new home, and she'd formed the opinion that women were supposed to spend a lot of time worrying about how they looked. Tona thought her body looked damn good, and if she was supposed to be attracting boys' attention then she preferred to go with clothes that showed that off. And the shorts did show off her butt nicely.

She lifted her shirt and looked at her stomach in the mirror; her abs looked good, too, flat and well-defined. Definitely something worth showing off, but how would she keep the shirt up? She thought a moment, then went digging in her bag. She came up with one of the zip-tie handcuffs she'd taken to carrying habitually. She raised the shirt again, pinched off enough fabric on the side to keep it taunt, and then used the tie to keep in place. She raised her arms and shook a bit to make sure it was secure, then walked out into the store again.

Tona spun around again to show the new outfit off, a bit more spring in her step this time. Pockets and dark clothes, this she was used to! "Well," she asked. "Do I look good, or what?"

"Of course," Sam adds to Cerys' explanation, "a lot of this may start out uncomfortable just because you're not used to it, so don't be too quick to give up on anything." As she speaks, she gives Tona the once over, nodding approvingly, and generally enjoying the show.

Then, Tona does her thing with the zip tie, and Sam's jaw drops, then she slaps her forehead, trying not to laugh. "Wh- I- Tha- Okay, first off, careful with that. You don't want to stretch that top out before you pay for it. If you want to bare your midriff like that... You don't want to show too much skin. And tying your shirt can work sometimes, for some shirts, but... it's pretty bold. Not something you do just out the gate. I'll be right back."

With that, she vanishes into the racks again, returning soon after. "Try this," she says, offering a new outfit. A relatively tame crop top, black and gray horizontal stripes, and a set of full-length jeans in the same size as the pants, with a guess at the length of Tona's legs. They should be just a bit tight, but that's the idea.

Mali shook her head. "Tona, wear what feels comfortable. I know what it's like to get attention you don't want." She said, rubbing her arms self-consciously.

"You do look good..." She said. "But remember, whatever you wear is going to be something you have to be comfortable with strangers seeing." She shrugged.

"But hey, dress the way you think works." She said with a smile. "But yeah those zip tie cuffs, well, don't work..." She admitted.

"Think about who we're going to be around, Tona. And what sort of impression you'll make on them. It's always important to present yourself the way you want to be seen. I don't know if baring your midriff is something you want people to base their opinions on..."

Tona took the clothes from Kit and ducked into the changing room, coming out in the long pants and the belly shirt. She looked down at the strip of flesh visible between the top of the jeans and the shirt, frowning slightly. "I like my belly," she said, slapping it lightly. "I've got a good belly." She looked Mali up and down. "I think you could do with showing a bit more, Mali. You've really got stuff worth showing off, after all."

“She right you know Tona there are some men who think that if you show a little skin that you, how can we say, an easy target.†She gave a small smile at Tona reaction to such a thing “And it’s generally frown upon to break their noses, a verbal put down probably a better option.â€

She turned her attention now to Mali. “But she right too Mali, you have a wonderful physique and it wouldn't hurt to show it off a little. I mean we’re never going to be super models or playboy centerfolds, but I for one are bloody glad we ain't.â€

Mali smiled nervously. "No...oh, I'm okay. I mean, I can't, I mean...no..." Memories of getting teased for her physique flooded back into her mind as she stood there, putting her hands behind her back and looking down. For the first time ever in front of her friends, she looked nervous, even bashful.

"Guys...guys don't like it when you can bench press more than they do. It intimidates them...then they start calling you all sorts of names, like freak, or worse...no, I'm okay. I know how to dress well for myself, thank you..."

Tona gritted her teeth. The idea of someone being called out, being made fun of, simply because they took care of themselves, could defend themselves, was irrational to her. That someone did it to her friend made her mad. She took a step forward and grabbed the other girl's shoulder, squeezing tightly. "Mali," she said, "you shouldn't be worrying about what such... fool irréfléchie thinks of how you look. Understand?"

"I know, I know...I shouldn't care. It's just that, well, I hardly had any friends where I used to go to school. It was a bunch of rich, stuck up kids. I train hard, and all they ever thought about was how to use their parents' money in the stupidest ways they could..."

She reached forward and hugged Tona firmly. "You're right, I shouldn't care. Thank you for being my friend." She smiled.

"Now, I need to have a new outfit, I'm not going out in this..." She said, pointing down at her bland, if somewhat stylish, outfit.

Then she grinned. "And so do the rest of you."